PDA

View Full Version : Tips on gardening, please

Linda L Lattimer
March 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Hello everyone, if anyone can give me great tips on gardening it would be most helpful. I have rheumatoid arthritis and it is hard for me to maneuver and bend with my knees, so I have considered planting inside some of the seeds in a huge container that will sit on heights. Then I considered a greenhouse type of effect, any suggestions on any of this? Or is it expensive? I am open to any advice.

I did see on a cooking show where Paula Deen had advice she received about taking two bales of hay, digging out a hole then planting the tomato plant inside to have some great tomatoes. She even said that placing a few small daffodils near the hay would help keep some of the bugs away but I have yet to give that a try. I just donít want to wait long in planting but I feel as if I may have once again wasted some time.

Hugs, Linda
::) ;D :-*

Karenne
March 25th, 2006, 01:07 PM
;D Oh yeah!* Container gardening is good.* Just make sure that you add things to your potting soil and that the container has drain spots at the bottom for the extra water to drain out.* If not, it will rot!* ewww

As for adding something around your tomatoes, always a good idea.* It is called companion gardening.* There is an excellent book out there called "Great Garden Companions" it was done by a Master Gardener and she talks normally so that we don't get confused!*

For tomatoes, you can plant egg plant and peppers and Basil in the same area.* Also to keep the bugs and stuff away and to make it look pretty plant Annie, dill, or cosmos, Shasta Daisies or sunflowers with the tomatoes.

Linda L Lattimer
March 25th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Thank you Karenne for your helpful advice, I appreciate all the help I can get. Now just to grab the containers and get started.

Have a pleasant day, Linda
:'( 8) ;)

jennzilla
March 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Make you a shelf or have it made. Put your plants in those long decorative plastic containers and then you don't have to get down on your knees. RA is something alot have to live with, but you can get around it by doing that. I don't have RA, I have too fat to be getting up and down all the time syndrome.

hotcha1
April 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
;Dhi everyone! i thik i got the hang of this how is everyone? read any good books lately?

Karenne
April 19th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I am doing good hotcha1.

You might want to go to the CTR Chatters or Exotic group or the Reader's Retreat to ask about the newest romance books. Now if you want to know about the best gardening book I have read lately (rubs hands together in glee) well, there is a new and updated version of the Square Foot Gardening. It is awesome.

Also, I am using the Companion Gardening this year in my garden. Very interesting. I already have about 2/3 of my garden up and going using this method and I have to tell you....pretty! I hope it works. Something about planting flowers with my vegetables....shudders..BUGS me!

lol

tonjasturn
June 12th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I only have flower gardens....I also look forward to all the little and big bugs that come to my garden every year. I raise all kinds of butterflies including Monarchs. I don't ever spray my gardens. Some caterpillars love aphids so I make sure there are plenty so when they glide by they can stop for a meal or two....lol

here are some monarch eggs I took a couple months ago.....
Tonja

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/tonjasturn/monarcheggs.jpg

Karenne
June 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Well, I wish you would come and bring some of those caterpillars to my house. I have aphids on my VERY FIRST bud on my Barbara Streisand Rose bush! Yes, it was a very picky rose bush and I have worked hard to get it to have a bud and it finally does. YEAH. And when I came home tonight...it had a team of aphids on it! BOOOO

Well, I do have habeneros that I am going to grind up and add water to and spray on the aphids (evil grin) they hate that! But I will win against those icky little bugs and my beautiful and picky rose bush!

Glad to have you hear Tonya! Neat Picture!

tonjasturn
June 15th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I am so glad to be here...... ;D ;D ;D

Tonja

Linda L Lattimer
June 15th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Oh butterflies, I love butterflies, they are soooo adorable
;)

Karenne
June 19th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I am so glad to be here...... ;D ;D ;D

Tonja

We are glad you are here Tonja! :-*

Linda L Lattimer
June 20th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Tonja, welcome and hope you have tons of fun here

;D :D ;) :-*

tonjasturn
July 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM
everyone is so nice here. I know I will enjoy it.........thanks for the welcom guys, tonja

Linda L Lattimer
August 17th, 2006, 08:03 PM
How is the garden doing for everyone? Some are having hot temps and the gardens are not doing well, even with the watering of the waterhose. Just wondering was everyone else still having good luck with theirs?

Linda 8)

MadisonChase
August 23rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
My zinnias are actually doing pretty good this summer. I planted them from seed in the spring. And I get fresh bouquets every few days. And the butterflies and hummingbirds LOVE them. They're really tall, too. A great reason to head for the mailbox. :)

Madison