PDA

View Full Version : LASR give "A Fair Trader" five books

Amy Gallow
December 4th, 2009, 11:50 PM
http://www.amygallow.com/sitebuilder/images/AFairTrader_72dpi-186x288.jpg
It's up for "Best Book of the Week" as well and any votes would be truly appreciated at http://www.longandshortreviews.com/LASR/recentrev.htm (http://www.longandshortreviews.com/LASR/recentrev.htm) any time Saturday

"Fennel" had this to say:-
"The title indicate the theatre ground in which this story is played out. Amy Gallow sets her heroine, Ruth Lambert in the fast moving and male-orientated setting. She is constantly under pressure, and equally determined to prove herself worthy of the partnership she is striving for. So how does she meet Ms Gallow’s hero Matthew Parker? She puts them both on the ship Asiatic Princess. Matthew as Chief Engineer, and Ruth as the career woman enjoying a last fling before she adheres to the strictures of, as Amy puts it, “the nineteenth-century prejudices of the male-dominated stock exchange”.

When myths told by another crew member fail to come true, Ruth accepts her future and bows to reality and the demands of her job, and yet… there’s still time for fantasy to blend with dreams. And of course the trouble with dreams is their insubstantial nature. They tend to come crashing down around your ears.

From his introduction, there is an air of mystery about the Asiatic Princess’s Chief Engineer, and it’s not just his low profile among the passengers. There is something compelling about him that draws Ruth.

As in all good novels the author throws in several obstacles of varying sizes for Ruth and Matthew to circumnavigate. These are splice in with scenes of tenderness, laughter, friendship and sensual lovemaking.

My only problem with this story was the complete ‘one-eighty’ of Ruth’s boss. He turns from a cantankerous and obstructive boss, to benign father-figure in the stroke of a pen (and some fine trader dealing by Ruth). His subsequent behaviour is necessary for the plot to move forward, but for me, it remained the weak link in an otherwise well crafted and tightly written plot.

The sharpness of the writing and the depth of technical knowledge in this story impressed me enough to search the credits and noted the copyright acknowledgement: David Andrews.

This story has it all. Good characterization, superbly set scenes, plenty of emotion and interweaving plots that splice seamlessly together at the end and provided the much anticipated HEA."

("Fennel" is intelligent enough to both appreciate the sharpness of my pen and penetrate my disguise)

CharmedGirl
December 8th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Congrats on the great review Amy.

Amy Gallow
December 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding, but we've been away, touring through the mountain wine district of Victoria, tasting (and buying) some excellent wines, picnicking in the grounds of the wineries, and having a ball.
We drove through the areas devastated by the bushfires earlier this years, buying goods from the surviving businesses (including some delicious raspberries from a grower who lost a third of his vines).
All in all, a great trip.