PDA

View Full Version : Vindication?

Amy Gallow
January 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
When I first started writing, I believed the only path to success was to write well, to tell interesting stories effectively, and to enjoy the process. Publish enough books and you would create a market. This seemed to work for the first six books, all print only paperbacks. Each sold their print runs and one was printed under license in China and as a large print hard back in England.
The failure of Saltwater Press changed that and I entered the world of e-books, where publishers insist that the only road to success is self-promotion.
Accordingly, I established a website, a blog, ran competitions, submitted excerpts, etc.,etc., etc...
I didn't enjoy these activities as much as writing, breaking my third rule, and a database I kept gave no correlation between my promotional efforts and sales, but I kept on learning to write well and to tell interesting stories effectively to the extent that my last four published stories received the highest accolades from an increasing range of reviewers and one attracted a film rights contract.
"A Fair Trader" has crept into the bottom of Whiskey Creek's best seller list for this month, a list normally dominated by multiple published authors. It is my third book with Whiskey Creek.
Is this a vindication of my original plan?