PDA

View Full Version : Nursery Blocks - Easy

Karenne
January 22nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
http://cache.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/90653ada.jpg

GAUGE:

11 sc = about 4 in. (10 cm). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
NOTES:

1. Crochet blocks are assembled over inner fabric blocks, for which fabric squares are seamed tog and then stuffed. If desired, crochet pieces can be assembled over foam blocks cut to size instead.
2. Materials are sufficient to make one each of Blocks 1-4.
3. Blocks are worked with 2 strands of yarn held tog throughout.
4. Wind each color into 2 separate balls before beginning.

BLOCK I
Sides (make 4)
With 2 strands of A held tog, ch 13. Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and in each ch across.
Row 1: Ch 1, turn. Sc in each st across.
Rows 2-12: Rep last row. Fasten off.
Ends (make 2)
With 2 strands of B held tog, make as for sides.
FINISHING
Note: Use foam block OR make Inner Block as follows:
Inner block
From fabric, cut 6 squares, each 5 in. (12.5 cm). Using 1/4 in. (6 mm) seams, stitch 4 squares together (by hand or machine) into a strip. Seam ends of strip to make block sides. Pin, then sew a square to one end of sides. Rep with rem square, leaving one side unseamed for stuffing. Stuff fabric block with fiberfill, and sew rem side closed.
Assembly
Seam the 4 sides to form a strip. Seam ends of strip to make block sides. Fit side strip around inner fabric or foam block. Pin an end to each open side of block and sew in place. Weave in ends.
BLOCK II
Using 2 strands of C held tog for sides and 2 strands of D held tog for ends, make same as Block I.
BLOCK III
Striped sides (make 2)
With 2 strands of B held tog, ch 13. Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and in each ch across. Change to 2 strands of A held tog.
Row 1: With A, ch 1, turn. Sc in each st across.
Row 2: Rep last row. Change to 2 strands of B held tog.
Rows 3 and 4: With B, rep Row 1. Change to 2 strands of E held tog.
Rows 5-7: With E, rep Row 1. Change to 2 strands of B held tog.
Rows 8 and 9: With B, rep Row 1. Change to 2 strands of A held tog.
Rows 10 and 11: With A, rep Row 1. Change to 2 strands of B held tog.
Rows 12 and 13: With B, rep Row 1. Fasten off. With 2 strands of E held tog, make 2 sides as for Block I. With 2 strands of B held tog, make 2 ends as for Block

With 2 strands of E held tog, make 2 sides as for Block I. With 2 strands of B held tog, make 2 ends as for Block I.
FINISHING
Use foam block or make an inner block as for Block I.
Assembly
Stitch the 2 Striped sides alternately with the 2 E sides to form a strip. Seam ends of strip to make block sides. Fit side strip around inner fabric or foam block. Pin a B side to each open end and sew in place.
BLOCK IV
Striped sides (make 2)
With 2 strands of C held tog, ch 13. Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and in each ch across.
Row 1: With C, ch 1, turn. Sc in each st across.
Row 2: Rep last row. Change to 2 strands of D held tog.
Row 3: With D, rep Row 1. Change to 2 strands of A held tog.
Rows 4-8: With A, rep Row 1. Change to 2 strands of D held tog.
Row 9: With D, rep Row 1. Change to 2 strands of C held tog.
Rows 10-13: With C, rep Row 1. Fasten off. With 2 strands of C held tog, make 2 sides as for Block I. With 2 strands of D held tog, make 2 ends as for Block I. Finish Block IV same as Block III.

CharmedGirl
January 23rd, 2010, 01:59 AM
My mother in law has made these for her grandkids.