PDA

View Full Version : New Release - Lethal Dreams

Anne Patrick
February 1st, 2010, 02:12 AM
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad252/annepatrick07/lethaldreams_texted_tagline.jpg

Dr. Erin Jacobs is making a name for herself in the sports world. Drawing on her own life experiences, she encourages and inspires athletes to recover from career ending injuries. So why would someone want to hurt the good doctor?

Detective Logan Sinclair is determined to find that answer. He’s been mesmerized by Erin from the moment she found him and his partner shot in an alleyway. Since that night their lives have never been the same. Will Logan be able to solve the puzzle of who wants Erin out of the way before it’s too late? And if so, what impact will those answers have on their lives?<O:p

Here is an excerpt. This scene takes place several days after meeting in the alleyway the night Logan was shot. Patsy is one of Erin’s friends and they’re at a picnic fundraiser at the hospital where Erin works. <O:p

“Your cop friend is cute. Not as cute as Marcus, but still cute,” Patsy said as they moved to the front of the line and Erin got her burger.<O:p

Erin rolled her eyes at her friend before reaching for the mustard. “He’s a patient, not a friend, and Marcus is strictly a friend.” She squirted a big glob on top of the bun, added half a dozen pickles, and then pressed it against the other half of the burger.<O:p

“I get the message. Unlike you, I don’t meddle in the love life of others. Speaking of which, don’t forget dinner tonight at seven.”<O:p

“I haven’t forgotten. I doubt I’ll be able to eat anything, but I’ll be there as promised.”<O:p

“Good. How’d the police sketch go today?”<O:p

Erin could have done without the reminder of her temporary melt down. Just as disturbing was her body’s reaction to the thought of Logan giving her a hug. She shook the memory from her mind and forced a smile. “The cop said I had a keen eye for detail. I hope he’s right. People at the shelter are starting to get nervous at the fact the police don’t have any suspects.”<O:p

“I don’t blame them. The shelter is only a block and a half from where the shooting took place.”<O:p

Erin finished her hamburger, grabbed another soda, and headed back to the bleachers with Patsy. Logan was standing and shaking Wade’s hand when they reached them. “Are you leaving?”<O:p

He shoved his hands in his pockets and smiled at her. “As much as I hate to, I need to get going.”<O:p

“Is your shoulder starting to hurt?”<O:p

“Some. Will you walk with me back to the hospital to meet my ride?”<O:p

“Okay.” She handed Wade her soda.<O:p

As they began walking, he turned to her. “I had a nice time today. You’ve nice friends.”<O:p

An alarm sounded deep inside Erin. There was a reason he wanted company on the walk back to the hospital, and she had a hunch as to what it was. “Thanks. You said you have a ride?”<O:p

“The captain is dropping by to pick me up.”<O:p

“I’ve been meaning to ask how your partner is doing,” she asked hoping to distract him. If he asks me out on adate, what am I going to say? Yes, I’m attracted to you, andyes, I’d like to learn more about you. But I just can’t.<O:p

“He’s doing great.”<O:p

They continued to walk. Erin wished now she hadn’t come with him.<O:p

“Listen Erin, I’d like to call you sometime if that’s okay?”<O:p

She kept in touch with a lot of her patients, but she had a feeling he was hoping for something more. She stopped in her tracks and looked at him. He was only a couple of inches taller, their shoulders almost even. “Why?”<O:p

He grinned. “Do I need a reason?”<O:p

“If it’s to keep me posted on your recovery, no…otherwise, I don’t date cops.” There, that was simple!<O:p

“I had a feeling you were going to say that.”<O:p

He began walking again. She was tempted not to follow, to say goodbye there, but she didn’t. If she didn’t like him, she wouldn’t feel the need to explain. The problem was, she did like him. The morning spent watching cartoons together, the afternoon spent talking about the work she did with kids. He’d made an impression on her that made it difficult not to want to get to know him better.<O:p

“It isn’t that I didn’t enjoy today, Logan. I did…very much. The problem is, I can’t get this image out of my head of my husband lying on a gurney in the emergency room covered in blood. I remember seeing that badge pinned to his chest and wanting to rip it off.” She paused to catch her breath, and to wipe away a tear that managed to escape. “My husband was a hero for what he did, and I’m very proud of him. But I don’t want another hero in my life. My heart can’t take it.”<O:p

Logan stopped and took her hand. She glanced down, unnerved by the physical contact she hadn’t expected. “Thank you for your honesty, Erin. You didn’t have to explain, but I’m glad you did. Just keep in mind that I won’t always be a cop.”<O:p

“You may not always wear the badge, but in your heart, you’ll always be a cop.”<O:p

“I hope you’ll change your mind. I’d really like to get to know you.”<O:p

“Goodbye, Logan. And good luck with your therapy.”<O:p

He smiled. “See you later, Erin.”<O:p

You can purchase Lethal Dreams in ebook or print from Whimsical Publications. (http://www.whimsicalpublications.com/anne_patrick/lethal_dreams.html)

<O:p