PDA

View Full Version : Editing Checklist

Amber Grosjean
March 18th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Here are some helpful things to watch out for while editing...... Print this out if it helps. Let me know if something was missed lol.

1. Inconsistencies
2. Spelling (make sure you have the right one for the right meaning as well) to, too, two; wright, right, etc. Don't rely on spell checkers.
3. Grammar
4. Run-on sentences
5. Two sentences that could've been made into one
6. Realistic scenes, characters, etc.
7. Story question and answer
8. Strong plot
9. Strong characters, not flat ones
10. Correct nouns, adverbs, etc.
11. Repetition (avoid them)
12. Cliches (avoid them)
13. Does each sentence make sense?
14. Can you make this better?
15. If you remove this sentence, will it still make sense?
16. How's the POV? Can you tell who the story is being told through who's eyes? Does it make sense?
17. Is this story accurate for the time of year or date when it takes place in? Yes, it matters even with fiction.
18. Is it in balance with off scene events? Something going on in the other room that takes 5 minutes shouldn't happen in 1.
19. How are the scenes? Did you describe enough for the reader to paint a picture (his/her own picture)?
20.Did you leave anything out? Sometimes what you see in your mind doesn't end up on the paper so be sure to catch everything.

Are you ready for round 2,3,4,etc. Do this again in a couple weeks or more.

Amber

CharmedGirl
March 18th, 2010, 11:57 PM
That's a very helpful checklist for editing Amber.

Amber Grosjean
March 19th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Thank you, CharmedGirl. For me, editing is one of the hardest parts of writing because you have to learn how to let go. No one is perfect and sometimes it shows through in our writing. That's why editing is so important. We don't want our flaws to show through to the reader lol.

Amber

CharmedGirl
March 19th, 2010, 12:36 AM
When I read books sometimes I still notice editing mistakes. (especially to do with spelling.)

Amber Grosjean
March 19th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I've heard that from others. There's always going to be that one that gets away lol. What we want to accomplish is getting the readers' attention so they won't notice it so much. I'm talking about those non-writers lol. As writers, we notice more than what they would because we're always looking for them lol. The same goes for English teachers. Its part of who we are and can't be helped.

It also makes us want to work harder to give the best of what we're able to. If you can find those errors again, please share with us.

Amber

Shelley Munro
March 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
That's a great list of things to watch for during the editing process. I find it really helps if I let the manuscript sit for a few weeks (if possible). I get so close to the manuscript that I don't see my errors.

Shelley

Amber Grosjean
March 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have the same problem. Even when I wait for a while to edit, it seems like I don't forget what's going on and I don't edit as well as I should. That is why I like having a bata reader because their eyes are fresh and aren't personally connected to the story. Of course, you should always pick someone you trust in their judgment lol.

Amber

Gwyn Lacy
March 20th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Whew! Thanks for letting us print it out! When I get to the last scene--I'll force myself not to look at it for what did you say a week or so? Then use the list?smilies/barbell.gif

Amber Grosjean
March 20th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Yeah, at least a week. Or longer if you bonded with your characters. I get rather attached to mine so I always wait about month before editing after the book has been written lol. Its a personal decision so its up to every writer how long they wait.

And you're welcome. I know its easier when you print it out and make copies because you can check things off when you've done each thing which makes it easier until you get the hang of it.

Amber

Dominique_Eastwick
March 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM
Great List may I share it with my Yahoo Aspiring Writers Loop. I will give you creat of course. :)

Amber Grosjean
March 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, that's fine. Anything on this seminar is free to share with others. As long as its mine, of course. You need permission from the others for their posts though. I just want to help as many people as I can so we all can have great works out there for people to enjoy!

Amber