PDA

View Full Version : April 2010, Chat With Us!

Pages : [1] 2

Miss Mae
April 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the April chat of The Sweetest Romance Authors! We're glad you've joined us! Grab a cup of coffee and dive right in. The chat starts at 10 a.m. EST. :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
It's ten o'clock, and we're raring to go! I wasn't too sure if I could be here on time this morning as storms rolled in before 8. However, what a surprise! More like the old garden-type variety with only a grumble or two of thunder and just a flicker of lightning. More rain than anything, so that is a HUGE relief! :)

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Good morning, everyone! The sun is shining, the birds are singing...yes, it's a great day for a chat. :yes:

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hey, Miss Mae! I'm glad the storms weren't anything serious. They sound like they were much calmer than the heavy lightning and high winds we had last night.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Good morning, everyone! The sun is shining, the birds are singing...yes, it's a great day for a chat. :yes:

Good morning, EA! Sounds like you have gorgeous weather! Well, we needed the rain, so I won't complain -- too much! lol

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hey Gang! I'm here. Can anyone see me? The storms from last evening finally passed, but lasted three hours, a lull, then started again during the night. Looks stormy now, but nothing happening. So happy to be here. Who's lurking today? I'd love to hear from you.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Hey, Laurie! I can see you just fine. :) I hope the storms stay away for at least a while. We love having you here to chat!

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hi EA, and Miss Mae. Glad the storms passed by with a grumble and a few sparks.

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Good morning, E.A., Laurie and Miss Mae

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Yes, I was so relieved! So let's start the morning off, ladies. What have you two been up to with your writing?

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Good morning, E.A., Laurie and Miss Mae

And good morning to you, Gail! Thanks for stopping by, seeing as how this is your anniversary! :)

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Good to see everyone. Love being here, EA. Chatting live is loads of fun. I may dive into the bushes in a few minutes to shake out a potential audience. Nothing like morning reminders on the loops and Twitter.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Hey, we have 13 guests right now looking us over! lol C'mon, y'all. We want to hear from you! :) Tell us what it is that you love about sweet romance. :)

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM
My first romantic suspense, Riley's Mission, was released yesterday! I'm so excited!

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hello,
Me-Gail, do you all see me?

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:16 AM
That was yesterday? Whoo-hoo, big congrats to you, EA! Give us the blurb! :)

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
And good morning to you, Gail! Thanks for stopping by, seeing as how this is your anniversary! :)
Happy anniversary, Gail! Glad you popped in. :)

Miss Mae
Hello,
Me-Gail, do you all see me?

Yes, we see you just fine, Gail. :) Post away!

Gail Pallotta
My first romantic suspense, Riley's Mission, was released yesterday! I'm so excited!

Congratulations, tell us a little about it.:yes:

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Poptart and hot chocolate. Check. Good morning, Sweet Authors. It's nice to see everyone here and hello to all our visitors. Can't wait to hear what everyone is up to and reading. I'm pulling out the old projects as I just sent my final edit in to the 'boss' for my July 1st release.

Hope everyone has a great day.

daniellethorne

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM
That was yesterday? Whoo-hoo, big congrats to you, EA! Give us the blurb! :)
Thanks! Here's the blurb for Riley's Mission:

Trapped in a flooded hospital, former Israeli operative Jade Rosen discovers she’s not alone. One of the other stranded patients is none other than the cold-blooded killer she'd left behind in a Syrian prison, the man who had forced her to leave everyone she loved behind and go into hiding.

Indiana National Guardsman Riley Jackson is on a mission to locate and contain a cunning terrorist whose guards aren’t responding. He finds more than he bargained for when the woman he loves appears out of nowhere, desperately ill and once again needing his protection.

Will Jade and Riley finally find their happy ending, or will they pay the ultimate price at the hands of a man determined to see Jade dead?

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Just to introduce ourselves for any new-timers to our monthly chats. :)

We are The Sweetest Romance Authors. We enjoy the kind of gentle, tender romances our mothers and grandmothers grew up with. Before you think, "boring!", think again. Stay around, explore, get to know us, and you just might be surprised. Experience mysteries, historicals, science-fiction, inspirationals, westerns, regencies, romantic suspense...all written the sweet way.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Poptart and hot chocolate? Sounds like the breakfast of champions to me, Danielle. Do share. LOL :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Good morning, Danielle! :) Love pop tarts and hot chocolate! :)

EA, that blurb gives me chills! Where can we see the cover?

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Congratulations on your July release, Danielle. What is the name of the new book? Tell us about it. Chocolate's a great way to start the day. I just finished chocolate yogurt - yum.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM
it's usually cheerios and skim milk but i'm treating myself while i eat over the laptop today. :)

Congrats on your new release, Riley's Mission!

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I've been working on a couple shorts. Haven't decided about "Honorable Intentions." It could turn into a full length. A story about a woman in her late 20s whose playboy husband,Greg, died in an auto accident along with his pretty, young secretary.

Samantha struggles with deep-seated anger. And when she discovers Greg has borrowed against the life insurance to pay his gambling debts, she is forced to sell her luxury car, put her beautiful modern Victorian home on the market, and seek employment.

Samantha worked for a law firm before she married Greg. But that was 5 years ago. She feels like a fish out of water when she meets with the mysterious Jake Tyler for an interview.

Jake has come through issues of his own. He knows about anger firsthand. His wife, Melissa, died during a normally safe medical procedure, leaving him with a young son to raise. He recognizes the bitterness Samantha holds onto, knows it will destroy her if she doesn't let it go. But, how should he approach the delicate subject?

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM
EA, that blurb gives me chills! Where can we see the cover?
Glad you liked the blurb. :) The cover is posted under E.A. West Book Covers in our Gallery of Book Covers here in the Java Junction. http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=1157

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
A sunken pirate ship, a genealogist, and a beach bum make up my next release coming out this summer from Desert Breeze Publishing. I'm waiting on the cover right now for BY HEART AND COMPASS.

Thanks for asking. I'm sure everyone else has news they'd love to share about their current releases. Like...LOVE TURNS THE TIDE...how's that going, Gail?

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I've been working on a couple shorts. Haven't decided about "Honorable Intentions." It could turn into a full length. A story about a woman in her late 20s whose playboy husband,Greg, died in an auto accident along with his pretty, young secretary.

Samantha struggles with deep-seated anger. And when she discovers Greg has borrowed against the life insurance to pay his gambling debts, she is forced to sell her luxury car, put her beautiful modern Victorian home on the market, and seek employment.

Samantha worked for a law firm before she married Greg. But that was 5 years ago. She feels like a fish out of water when she meets with the mysterious Jake Tyler for an interview.

Jake has come through issues of his own. He knows about anger firsthand. His wife, Melissa, died during a normally safe medical procedure, leaving him with a young son to raise. He recognizes the bitterness Samantha holds onto, knows it will destroy her if she doesn't let it go. But, how should he approach the delicate subject?

Now this sounds excellent, Laurie! How much do you have written?

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Oh thanks, we're excited about taking an afternoon to do something fun.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Dani, you must have read my mind. I've been mentally tasting hot chocolate for 30 minutes. I'll get up and fix a cup after we get going good. So far I've eaten cottage cheese with grapes and pineapple chunks. Argggghhh! Still hungry.

Miss Mae
Glad you liked the blurb. :) The cover is posted under E.A. West Book Covers in our Gallery of Book Covers here in the Java Junction. http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=1157

Oh, I LOVE that cover! How fitting for that blurb! :)

DanielleThorne
Everytime I read this blurb, my memories refreshed and I think "a-ha!" that's that book about the Middle Eastern suspense I've been waiting to get a hold of. It sounds very current, very exciting, and very you. :)

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Ooh, I like it, Laurie! And the title fits so well.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Laurie, girl, cottage cheese? *gag, hack, spit!* LOLOL

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Actually that sounds like a good summery breakfast, Laurie. I do drink a lot of cocoa though--it's a good filler for when your hungry.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Miss Mae, I haven't checked the word count lately, and I've put it on the back burner to work on another Smashwords shortie, but last count it was 44 pages when double-spaced.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Since we are the early birds, why don't we take a minute to share a brief bio?

Gail, Dani, Laurie, EA...tell our readers what you've written and where you can be found on the web. :)

EAWest
A sunken pirate ship, a genealogist, and a beach bum
Love it! What an intriguing combination.

DanielleThorne
This DOES sound good! A short story? It already reads like a novel. Funny just by your blurb I can already hear your voice resonating from JOURNEY TO FORGIVENESS. You're a true sweet, Laurie, even in your prose. :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I know, EA. I can't wait to read Dani's pirate stories. Love the way she makes the words flow. :)

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Miss Mae, you don't like cottage cheese!!! Actually I wouldn't touch the stuff until I was hospitalized to have my son. I'd been in labor for 24 hours, then they didn't feed me for another 24 afterwards. So when they brought that pear half stuffed with cottage cheese and a maraschino cherry on top, I DEVOURED it. It was the best thing I'd every put in my mouth (at the time). LOL

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM
44 pages? Wow--well sounds like it's a novel in the making if you want it to be. I'm still smarting over the fact your heroine lost her husband in a car accident with his "secretary"....how horrible...that would certainly drive an emotional plotline.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Everytime I read this blurb, my memories refreshed and I think "a-ha!" that's that book about the Middle Eastern suspense I've been waiting to get a hold of. It sounds very current, very exciting, and very you. :)

Well, you know, Riley's Mission just happens to be available now at The Wild Rose Press, so... *wink* LOL

DanielleThorne
lol, that's funny, Laurie. my best friend had her baby a month ago and the entire day of, all she kept wishing for was a footlong from Subway. go figure!

Gail Pallotta
Thanks for asking about Love Turns the Tide, Danielle. I'm still excited about my 5+-star review from Miss Lynn's Books and More. Here's an excerpt "This was an excellent story with three main characters that grow on you right from the beginning, Cammie, Angie and Vic. The secondary characters are very much a a part of the story line and they fit right in perfectly, including the ducks, which we cannot leave out. There is just enough suspense to keep the reader turning the pages when someone has made it a point to vandalize Angie and Cammie's condo's. Can the police find the intruder before he strikes again and who seems to leave no clues. Just when the reader thinks they know who it is their mind changes a little. Will this cause Cammie to say in Destin or return home to family friends?" There's more at www.gailpallotta.com (http://www.gailpallotta.com)

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Dani, for your compliment. Actually, this started out to be a short, but I am not so sure now. The stories taken me on a lot of side roads and character facets, if you know what I mean. Surprises keep popping up.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for asking about Love Turns the Tide, Danielle. I'm still excited about my 5+-star review from Miss Lynn's Books and More. Here's an excerpt "This was an excellent story with three main characters that grow on you right from the beginning, Cammie, Angie and Vic. The secondary characters are very much a a part of the story line and they fit right in perfectly, including the ducks, which we cannot leave out. There is just enough suspense to keep the reader turning the pages when someone has made it a point to vandalize Angie and Cammie's condo's. Can the police find the intruder before he strikes again and who seems to leave no clues. Just when the reader thinks they know who it is their mind changes a little. Will this cause Cammie to say in Destin or return home to family friends?" There's more at www.gailpallotta.com (http://www.gailpallotta.com)

What a wonderful review, Gail! Congrats! Don't they just make you all tingly all over? :)

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Dani, I love to emotionally torture my characters. I think the readers need various displays of humor, pain, and joy to relate to them.

Gail, that sounds like an awesome story! Congrats on the great review. I'll have to check that one out.

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks Miss Mae. I grew up in a small town at the foothills of the North Carolina mountains. The granddaughter of a minister and niece of several English teachers, I inherited their interest in storytelling, but I got a love of people from my mother. After I graduated from college I worked as editor and a copywriter. Then, I married and helped my husband with his business, but I really missed the writing, so I wrote and published articles. Some of them have been put in anthologies, but two ended up in museums. I'd always dreamed of writing books. My latest, Love Turns the Tide, is a Christian romance with a bit of suspense. My Web site is http://www.gailpallotta.com

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Time for a bit of introduction. :)

I’m E.A. West, author of inspirational and other G-rated fiction. I've loved books and reading my entire life. In high school, I discovered the wonders of writing and dreamed of sharing my stories with the world. In 2008, my first short story was published in a small literary journal. In 2009, I saw my first two ebooks published: Dreams Do Come True from White Rose Publishing and Light in the Darkness from Sea Crest eBooks. Now, in 2010, Riley’s Mission released yesterday from The Wild Rose Press. As always, I have a couple more works in progress and dozens of ideas just waiting to be written.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Miss Mae is an award winning, best selling author. “Said the Spider to the Fly”, published by The Wild Rose Press, has consistently rated outstanding reviews and has won the esteemed title of Best Book of the Week for The Long and the Short of It Reviews and from The Romance Studio. It can be purchased both in digital format and in print directly from the publisher’s site. “When the Bough Breaks”, a young adult coming-of-age is the first from Whimsical Publications. Not only has this book generated top reviews, it’s also won a Best Cover of the Month award, and won the 2009 P & E Readers’ Poll in the YA category.
<!----> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
The highly acclaimed “It’s Elementary, My Dear Winifred” won a 2009 Top Ten Read at MyShelf.com. It’s slanted for a late summer re-release from Whimsical Publications, with the second in the “Dear Winifred” series planned to be finished late 2010.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
She also enjoys writing humor and non-fiction articles. Besides her monthly contributions to the ezine American Chronicle, some of her publications can be found in [I]The Front Porch Magazine, Good Old Days, and WritersWeekly.
She is the moderator of The Sweetest Romance Authors Yahoo Group, a group of romance authors who makes sure their romance stories adhere to a G-rating. Visit our blog at http://thesweetestromanceauthors.blogspot.com

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I have so many books on my summer TBR list--this is one of them. I love it's an ebook so I can load it right onto my ereader. I'm so happy and proud of you for the 5 star review. Way to go!

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Your books sound so intriguing, Miss Mae. Tell us about one of your emotionally tortured characters.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM
What a great review, Gail! Congratulations. :)

Gail Pallotta
Danielle,
Thank you so much. I have Turtle Soup on my list. It's fascinated me for a long time.

DanielleThorne
and "Danielle Thorne is one of Miss Mae's biggest fans. Her favorite book is 'It's Elementary, Dear Winifred.' The best Victorian mystery and fun she's read in years!"

PS--and she wants a sequel!

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thank you, E. A. It was a tingly feeling like Miss Mae said. Your blurb sounds so interesting, suspenseful and timely.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Where in NC did you grow up, Gail? I grew up in Waynesville, outside of Cherokee, until I was 8 years old. I love the Smokies!

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Join in the chat, readers/lurkers! Here are some questions for you:

1) Can you remember the first sweet romance you read?

2) What thrilled you about that book that made it memorable?

3) Are you a Jane Austen fan?

4) Do you like strong heroines clashing with macho heroes, or soft heroines and quiet, brooding heroes?

5) Do you like/dislike if an author adds animals as important characters? Why, or why not?

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I grew up in Forest City, N.C., about 60 miles from Asheville, but I went to Western Carolina, so I was in Waynesville a lot -- small world.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I'd like to share where my books can be purchased:

1) Said the Spider to the Fly (The Wild Rose Press) (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/said-the-spider-to-the-fly-p-1138.html?zenid=50afb552c8508b77d12b4170ca11eb7c)

2) When the Bough Breaks (Whimsical Publications) (http://whimsicalpublications.com/miss_mae/When_The_Bough_Breaks.html)

3) Dove Island (Smashwords) (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4934)

4) Fated Destiny (Free read, Miss Mae Site) (http://www.missmaesite.com)

5) It's Elementary, My Dear Winifred (coming 2010) (http://whimsicalpublications.com/miss_mae/Its_Elementary_My_Dear_Winifred.html)

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I think we were in Asheville a short time when I was a little baby. It is a small world--esp in cyberspace. But you don't get that mountain air. :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Dani, Gail lives close to both of us! We need to get together (via emails) and strive to make a central meeting point, so we can share a cup of hot chocolate! :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Dani, Gail lives close to both of us! We need to get together (via emails) and strive to make a central meeting point, so we can share a cup of hot chocolate! :)

LOL, let me rephrase that. We don't want to share ONE cup of hot chocolate. I meant we each could have a cup! hee hee

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, what fun that would be!

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Yes, I'd love to meet you and Dani in person, Miss Mae.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM
That would be fun. Maybe some day we could have a Sweetest Romance Authors mini-conference somewhere and everyone could come. That'd be awesome. Now if we could just find a filthy rich sponsor so we could all make it!

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Gail, you asked about my tortured characters. Hmm, well, I always have them with some kind of secret that torments them like mad, but I suppose my most tortured one might be the heroine of "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady". Dorcy Edwards is in anguish over something she can't share with anyone. It's Victorian London and Jack the Ripper is roaming the streets. She escapes his clutches, but.....what could her secret be?

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Since I'm early in today, I'll go ahead and post some info on myself--though I know my fellow Sweets already know--some of you lurking guests might not:

Danielle Thorne freelanced for online and print magazines from 1998 through 2001, adding reviewing and editing to her resume. She is the author of two 2009 novels: THE PRIVATEER (http://www.awe-struck.net/books/the_privateer.html), a 1729 historical about British privateering in the Caribbean, and TURTLE SOUP (http://www.awe-struck.net/books/turtle_soup.html), a sweet contemporary romance set between Atlanta and St. Thomas. A British Regency, JOSETTE, is currently in the submissions process. Her new shipwreck adventure, BY HEART AND COMPASS, is coming soon, July 1st, 2010.

Other work has appeared with Espresso Fiction, Every Day Fiction, Arts and Prose Magazine, Mississippi Crow, The Nantahala Review, StorySouth, Bookideas, The Mid-West Review, and more. She won an Honorable Mention in Writer’s Digest’s 2006 annual writing competition, and won the 2008 Awe-Struck Short Novel Contest.

Danielle currently writes, reviews, and edits from south of Atlanta, Georgia. She is the 2009-2010 Co-Chair for the New Voices Competition (http://www.newvoicesyoungwriters.com/) for young writers, active with online author groups such as Classic Romance Revival (http://www.classicromancerevival.com/), and moderates for The Sweetest Romance Authors (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=1096) at the Coffee Time Romance boards. She lives with four sons and her husband, who is an air traffic controller. Together they enjoy travel and the outdoors, Marching Band competition, and BSA Scouting.

Miss Mae
That would be fun. Maybe some day we could have a Sweetest Romance Authors mini-conference somewhere and everyone could come. That'd be awesome. Now if we could just find a filthy rich sponsor so we could all make it!

Danielle, that's a wonderful idea! Rent a meeting room in a hotel so folks could drive down and have their own place to sleep. Ooh, I like that! Let's find some rich person to do the unimportant thing, like paying for it all! LOL

EAWest
A mini-conference would be fun. If you ever find that rich sponsor, let me know. LOL

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
A mini-conference would be fun. If you ever find that rich sponsor, let me know. LOL

Here, here, EA, I agree with that! LOL

Gail Pallotta
April 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Have a Happy Day, Sweeties. I'm off toe get ready for the anniversary outing.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Hmm..I haven't read that one yet. I love Jack the Ripper stuff. I bet that was fun to research.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM
See you soon, Gail. Enjoy your outing.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I'd also like to leave links of where my book movies can be viewed. Yeah, "movies", like with actors. :)

1) "When the Bough Breaks"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drj3cxEgH58

2) "It's Elementary, My Dear Winifred"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJgtef5OoFE

3) "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PxUOhHlzQ0

4) "Said the Spider to the Fly"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_o6RHPd_KU

5) "Dove Island"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLL7uKQL0uk

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Have a Happy Day, Sweeties. I'm off toe get ready for the anniversary outing.

Thanks for coming, Gail, and again, "Happy Anniversary!"

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Hmm..I haven't read that one yet. I love Jack the Ripper stuff. I bet that was fun to research.

It was a bit chilling, yes. This book has won several awards, but right now it's not with a publisher (contract expired, and I didn't renew.) I'm seriously considering self-publishing it now, since it's already "proven" itself. And if I go with a traditional publisher, I'd have to wait forever on a release date. I'd like to get it out ASAP. :)

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Hello, everyone. i'll be in and out today. Hope to do some more writing and April is a busy month for me with lots of obligations. Too many organizations I'm in. Larry

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Hi Larry! So glad you could make it in! Are you still working on Lab Partners? :)

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Hello, everyone. i'll be in and out today. Hope to do some more writing and April is a busy month for me with lots of obligations. Too many organizations I'm in. Larry
Hey, Larry, good to see you! I know what you mean about this being a busy month. I keep waiting for things to slow down, but it hasn't happened yet.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I was notified this morning that I won K. Dawn's book, Queen of Hearts. Has anyone here read her?

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Yes, I'm still working on the novel version of Lab Partners, Leroy and Jody are cast into the present rather than the 1950s. I"m nearing completion and Leroy and Jody are about to be married. It's been a long road for Leroy to crack her icy barrier. I don't think this story will make 70,00 words. I"m at 67,000 now. Larry

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
That is still a BIG book. Congrats on all your hard work. :)

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I"m battling about how specific to get on writing Leroy and Jody's wedding night. I don't want you ladies to throw me out of the Yahoo group. No, not graphic descriptions but I don't want to just say they were married and began their life together and that's it. Larry

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Winner of the 2009 P&E Readers' Poll for YA Category!

<!--[endif]--><o></o>
Darlene Moore’s reason for shunning Parker Shane has nothing to do with his
reputation of being a playboy. She even dates him before the death of her mother
forces her to move away. After a two-year absence from Dalesville, she returns
home to find Parker exchanging wedding vows with her sister. Two months later, her
sister dies.
<!----> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
Then Richard Ryan, head of Dalesville’s wealthy, prominent family, and Parker’s
employer, goes missing. Could there be a connection to his disappearance and
Parker’s unexpected promotion?
Danger and questions a plenty barrage Darlene with the deadly speed of a six-
shooter. Who called down a representative from a Washington agency? Who later
assaulted him? Who attacked Darlene at her friend’s apartment? And will Parker’s
scandalous brand of playboy be changed to one of murderous culprit? Or, in the
moment of Darlene’s greatest need, might he become her rescuing knight?

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520077569 -1073717157 41 0 66047 0;} @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:0pt;} h2 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} h3 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:3; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-style:italic;} h4 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:4; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-weight:normal; font-style:italic;} h5 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:none; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:5; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Verdana; letter-spacing:-.2pt;} p.MsoHeading7, li.MsoHeading7, div.MsoHeading7 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:.5in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; text-indent:-.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:7; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-style:italic;} p.MsoHeading8, li.MsoHeading8, div.MsoHeading8 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:8; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-style:italic;} p.MsoCommentText, li.MsoCommentText, div.MsoCommentText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoHeader, li.MsoHeader, div.MsoHeader {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoFooter, li.MsoFooter, div.MsoFooter {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.MsoCommentReference {mso-ansi-font-size:8.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:8.0pt;} p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-style:italic;} p.MsoBodyTextIndent, li.MsoBodyTextIndent, div.MsoBodyTextIndent {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-style:italic;} p.MsoBodyTextIndent2, li.MsoBodyTextIndent2, div.MsoBodyTextIndent2 {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoBodyTextIndent3, li.MsoBodyTextIndent3, div.MsoBodyTextIndent3 {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-weight:bold;} p.BalloonText, li.BalloonText, div.BalloonText {mso-style-name:"Balloon Text"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:8.0pt; font-family:Tahoma; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.annotationsubject, li.annotationsubject, div.annotationsubject {mso-style-name:"annotation subject"; mso-style-parent:"Comment Text"; mso-style-next:"Comment Text"; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-weight:bold;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> He chuckled softly. “All I want to know is if you’d like to go out with me?”<o></o>
Wholly unprepared for the question, Darlene stared straight ahead, unblinking. Her tongue refused to work, and for one scary moment, she thought she forgot how to breathe. “You aren’t serious?” she finally managed to gasp.<o></o>
He raised a curious brow. “Why wouldn’t I be?”<o></o>
“Because everybody knows Ellie Pearson is your girlfriend.”<o></o>
“They do, huh?”<o></o>
“Yes! And if that’s not bad enough, your reputa—” She caught herself, clamping her mouth shut to keep the words from spilling out. <o></o>
“My what?” Parker eased up on the gas to give a wide berth to a terrapin that lumbered across the road. “My reputation?”<o></o>
Darlene raised a wrist and wiped sweat off the side of her cheek. Desperately, her eyes strained to see George Vining’s garage. Just around the next curve, past the tall white pine…<o></o>
“I’ve heard some of the things said about me.” At the odd note in his voice, Darlene stole a peek at his profile. He wore a faint smile. “So. How about a date?”<o></o>
Unable to believe he asked again, she floundered for the right answer. “Look, I…” She gulped and blurted out, “I’m not the kind of girl [I]you date.”<o></o>
“I date pretty girls. And you definitely fill the bill.” He moved his hand off her seat, his fingers grazing her bare arm. Though the touch appeared accidental, Darlene had the sneaking suspicion it hadn’t been. <o></o>
Discreetly, she edged closer to her door. “But Ellie’s your girlfriend.”<o></o>
“A guy can’t date more than one girl at a time?”
“No. It wouldn’t be right.”<o></o>
Parker gave a low laugh. The attractive way it rumbled deep in his throat threatened to short circuit Darlene’s already overcharged nerves. “Little lady,” he murmured, “you drive a hard bargain.”<o></o>

Miss Mae's site, (http://www.missmaesite.com) blog, (http://missmaesite.blogspot.com) and publisher (http://whimsicalpublications.com/miss_mae/When_The_Bough_Breaks.html)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Miss Mae is taking a small break right now. I'll return in a jiffy! :)

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Laurean Brooks writes inspirational romance stories of emotional struggle sprinkled with sassy humor.

Her full length historical, JOURNEY TO FORGIVENESS, released by White Rose Publishing, has rated rave reviews. The book trailer video took second place in "You Gotta Read" video contest last July.

JOURNEY TO FORGIVENESS, in a nutshell, is a story of a young woman's struggle to overcome the emotional after-effects of physical abuse at the hand of her alcoholic father.

JENNY HINSON vows she will never allow a man inside her heart. She builds a wall so strong around her heart that no man can penetrate. But that was before the charming and illustrious, Austin Grant. Austin has a way of un-nerving her. Jenny struggles to keep her guard up, but with Austin, has she met her match? Will the wall around her heart come tumbling down? www.whiterosepublishing.com (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com)

When I told a newspaper reporter, "Though JOURNEY TO FORGIVENESS deals with a serious issue, it is loaded with humor." She asked, "How do you mix humor with abuse?" I replied, "That's easy. When Austin Grant comes on the scene, get ready to laugh."
JONQUILS IN THE SNOW by Laurean Brooks, swung up and down from second to fifth place on Smashwords' short romance bestseller's list in February and March. Besides many wonderful reviews, the book trailer (currently up at Danielle Thorne's site) also took second place in February's "You Gotta Read" video contest.

A heartwarming short story of loss and new beginnings. Miranda Stevens' fiance' skipped town two days before their wedding, leaving her to contact the guests and return wedding gifts. She is not ready for another relationship...until Brady Watson shows up on her doorstep to clear limbs from her yard after a devastating ice storm.

She invites him in to warm himself with a steaming cup of her "secret recipe" hot chocolate. It doesn't take long for Miranda to discover Brady has issues of his own. What is he hiding?

Brady Watson's anger toward the drunk driver responsible for his wife's death, has morphed into hopelessness. Three years later, her memory hangs on.

Will Miranda find a way to encourage Brady to let go of the past and find joy in a bright future?

Could the answer be found in something as simple as a cluster of Jonquils bursting through the snow?

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
That's tricky Larry. I have a suggestion from reading a Eugenia Price book. The couple married halfway through the 600-page book. When they were going to be intimate, the hero would say, "I sense a storm brewing tonight." Nothing explicit described.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
No, Miss Mae, but I'm envious. LOL. I wanted that book. It sounds wonderful!

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I wanted to at least describe the heroine's nightgown for the wedding night but not tell what happens afterwards except starting with an embrace. Thanks for addressing my concern Laurie. Larry

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hmm, nobody replied to my last post so I'll drop that subject. I'm thinking of inserting an excerpt from my WIP which wouldn't net me any sales of course. I don't know how to do that without typing it from scratch. Any tricks I should know about? Larry

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
No, Miss Mae, but I'm envious. LOL. I wanted that book. It sounds wonderful!

LOL, which book is that, Laurie?

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hmm, nobody replied to my last post so I'll drop that subject. I'm thinking of inserting an excerpt from my WIP which wouldn't net me any sales of course. I don't know how to do that without typing it from scratch. Any tricks I should know about? Larry

Larry, go to your Word document, highlight the area you want, click "edit", then "copy". Come here to a new post, place the cursor where you want the text to go, right click, choose "paste". Ez-peasy. :)

Laurean
That's one reason I've not continued "Journey To Forgiveness" as a sequel. Jenny and Austin married at the end of the book, and I would not know how to delicately address the intimate moments if I made a sequel. But I would love to make it into one. I can't seem to let those two characters go.

Also, the sequel would lead right into World War II, and I had a great idea (since my hero flies a plane) that he could join the war as a fighter pilot in Canada. Canada had joined the war by 1938.

A plot has been simmering inside my head that Austin could be "missing in action" for a period of time. But I've been told that keeping the couple apart doesn't work well in a romance story. They are "suppose" to interact every 10 -12 pages. Hmmm. I wonder if letters and/or phone calls would count as interaction. Just rattling. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Could I write it as Womens' Fiction instead? Would it meet the guidelines better that way?

Miss Mae
Karenne came to read us over! Hi, Karenne! Stay a while! :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Laurie, I don't even know what Women's Fiction is! LOL It seems things change all the time!

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks, Miss Mae. I'll give that a try. I think I remember now that you described it. Larry

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Sorry, I can't remember the title, Miss Mae, but it was the one KD was interviewed for on Shawna's blog the other day. If I'm not mistaken, it's her debut novel.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
It sounds good, Larry. Don't worry about word count. I learned to let go and forget about that. Just write the story, and let it all come out. During editing you're going to lose some of course, but you can always find places to add things in if you have a word count goal.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hi Karenne. :)

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Larry, I replied to your post. Check down four or five blocks. Guess I should have replied directly, or put your name at the beginning of the reply.

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Laurie I hope you can get your sequel to going and get around those problem areas. I had my Motorcycle Woman story rejected because Tess and Johnnie didn't get together until page 12 or later and so had to delete the first ten or twelve pages to get it accepted. Yes, that seems the flavor of editors, get them together fast. Larry

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
2nd Place Winner in the Short Story Romance of the 2009 P&E Readers' Poll! Thank you, voters! :)

Blurb:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>Christopher’s dedicated his allegiance to the Church. But that’s before he meets Roxanne, his cousin’s betrothed. Aboard the ship appointed for the honeymoon voyage, he fears losing her not to his cousin, but to a barbaric pirate attack. Will he live long enough to confess she holds his heart?

Excerpt:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:0pt;} h2 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoBodyTextIndent, li.MsoBodyTextIndent, div.MsoBodyTextIndent {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>
His legs fighting the swirling current, he clawed at the floating wreckage to pull himself atop. A wave tossed the wooden crate almost upright, and he clung, barnacle-fast, to the knotted rope wrapped about the highest rung. As his newly acquired raft splashed back into the swell, saltwater stung his eyes, soaking his already drenched body. Flinging hair from his face, he reached for a loosened board and laying flat on his stomach, he used the makeshift oar to paddle from the sinking ship.
Foam churned around the massive vessel as the once mighty warrior slid, heaving and groaning, to its watery grave. The whirlpool’s suction grabbed the closest victims, screams ripping from their throats before they plunged into the merciless vortex.
Riding the cresting waves, he squinted against the stinging spray, searching the drifting, lifeless bodies. Fear worried his heart. If he couldn’t find her, he swore he’d pitch himself to the bottom of the ocean and join her in blissful eternity.
Sunlight glinted red against the water and he peered for a closer look. Recognizing the stream as one not of blood, but of shimmering tendrils of fiery hair, he quickly maneuvered his raft and extended a helping hand.
Her sodden skirts weighed her down like an anchor. Though she clutched at a half-filled bucket, her head slipped beneath the surface. Quickly, he clenched a fistful of hair and pulled her face free. He dared to extend his chest halfway off the raft, reaching out to slip his arms beneath her shoulders and drag her aboard. With a feeble pant, she collapsed, only the frantic beating at the base of her throat assuring him she still lived.

Visit Miss Mae's site, (http://www.missmaesite.com) blog, (http://missmaesite.blogspot.com) and buy at Smashwords! (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4934)

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Miss Mae, I'm not 100% sure, but I've been told "Women's Fiction" is where the story (struggles, and plot) take precedence over the romance. What I like best about it, you can use several POVs if necessary.

Like "Gone With The Wind." Can someone else clarify this? Explain it better.

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Here is an excerpt from my WIP A Change of Heart where Jody and Leroy are about to meet for the first time at a freshman exchange dinner at Leroy's residence hall at Purdue.
Jody stepped to the wall near the room’s entrance, intent on waiting as long as possible to find a table. The last man standing is surely to be dull and undesirable, perhaps ugly and being less happy than her, if that were possible, about attending tonight.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
At last everyone was seated except her and one table stood empty, looking out of place in the middle of all the occupied tables where casual conversations blended into unintelligible noise. Jody, relieved, readied herself for what she preferred: dine alone. She was about to leave the wall and head for the vacant table when a nearby conversation, nearly as loud as the din of the room’s voices, caught her ear.<o:p></o:p>
“Doyle, get out to that table!” A man, carrying the authority of an upperclassman, said. He had a sports coat carrying the emblem probably a local club of the residence hall, Jody surmised.<o:p></o:p>
“There’s still ten minutes before dinner starts,” Doyle, as the upperclassman had addressed him, said.<o:p></o:p>
“Now!” Mr. Sports Coat thrust his arm toward the table.<o:p></o:p>
Jody watched the freshman slump his shoulders and march like a condemned man going to the gallows. She thought, he doesn’t want to be here anymore than I do. Her hopes of dining alone disappeared when he took the last empty table.<o:p></o:p>
I've written each chapter alternating points of view. Larry

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 12:19 PM
This story was wonderful, Miss Mae. A super adventure! And another one I'd like to see as full length, "hint-hint."

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Larry, I like this. You left us hanging. I wonder what happens next.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm ducking over to Twitter and a loop or two, to jog some memories about our chat. Be back in a few.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
This is a FREE READ available for download at my site! (http://www.missmaesite.com):)
Blurb:

Prisoner 86's fate is in the hands of his merciless Captain. Or is it? As their ship enters a raging thunderstorm, what bizarre event transforms their lives in an eternal destiny?

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
He shuffled to a stop inside the cabin’s threshold, his gaze riveting on the uniformed back of a man who studied a wall map.<o></o>
“Your smell,” said the officer, “tells me you’ve entered the room, number eighty-six.” The captain turned from his perusal of the chart and crinkled his nose. “A stinking bit of rubbish you are. You sleep in filth, you eat filth, you live in filth. You [I]are filth.” <o></o>
The prisoner’s fingers tightened on the chain of his manacles, but he said nothing.<o></o>
Large ruffles partially concealing his wrist, the captain picked a sheet of paper off his cluttered desk. He glanced at the guard who waited at the door. “Leave us,” he ordered. “This vermin can’t harm me.”<o></o>
Left alone with the prisoner, the captain flicked the page as though he held a soiled rag. “I have your history here, number eighty-six. A convicted mercenary.” He released the paper, allowing it to flutter back to his desk. A sneer tugged at the corner of his clean shaven mouth. “We’re transporting you to meet your deserved fate.” <o></o>
<o></o>
He stepped closer, the sneer twisting into a taunting grin. “Rats like you deserve to die. No one will bewail your passing.”<o></o>
Eighty-six steadied his gaze on a large black trunk set against a wall corner. Though the once shiny wording had worn away to almost total oblivion, a few faded letters spelled ‘...Van...’ He inhaled deeply through his nostrils. Slowly, quietly, he stretched his manacles’ chain to a taut line. “I am a man, an innocent man.”<o></o>
“You are a criminal, worthy of your death.” The captain slapped Eighty-six’s cheek, the sound snapping like a cracked whip. “You’re naught but a rotten piece of scum.”<o></o>
Eighty-six tensed, stifling his reflexes. He clenched his throbbing lips closed, blinking against the sweat that burned his eyes. <o></o>
Van stepped within a hair’s length of touching nose-to-nose with the prisoner. “I read of your trial in the paper, saw your picture. I will tell you a secret – I was intrigued.” He paused. “Ask me why.”

To finish reading this story, grab your copy NOW! :)

MSEReads
April 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hi all! I put the chat on my calendar this time and even posted (although that wasn't till wee hours this morning) on my blog. So I will pop in and out today as I work. Glad the storms passed on Miss Mae. We are getting a drenching right now.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Miss Mae, I'm not 100% sure, but I've been told "Women's Fiction" is where the story (struggles, and plot) take precedence over the romance. What I like best about it, you can use several POVs if necessary.

Like "Gone With The Wind." Can someone else clarify this? Explain it better.

Well, I think "Gone With the Wind" is one of the most romantic stories there ever was!

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi Martha. We've got clouds and expecting rain. Nice to see you today.

MSEReads
I like the excerpt too Larry. And I like the alternating POV technique!

Miss Mae
Hi all! I put the chat on my calendar this time and even posted (although that wasn't till wee hours this morning) on my blog. So I will pop in and out today as I work. Glad the storms passed on Miss Mae. We are getting a drenching right now.

Sure is good to see you, Martha! Glad you remembered us! :)

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
:) I hate eating alone! But I'd rather eat alone than with a stranger!

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Winner of Best Book of the Week at The Long and the Short of It Reviews and at The Romance Studio.

Blurb:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_filelist.xml"><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Mona Murphy returns to Copper Springs to attend her grandfather’s memorial service. His passing appeared ordinary enough—the official report stated he’d tripped and fallen down the staircase. Yet Preston Hitchcock, the insurance agent who’d sold a half million dollar policy to Mona’s grandfather days before the old man died, isn’t convinced, especially when bloody towels are discovered in the backyard.
And that’s only the beginning. Who is the hit-and-run driver who attempts to run Mona down? Why is her old boyfriend more ardent for her affections now than ever before? And why is Mona helpless to guard her heart from the devastating influence of Preston’s practiced lady-killer smiles?
Secrets Mona never knew existed in Copper Springs become exposed. But none is so revealing as the one she fights to hide—and the very one that might save her life.
Excerpt:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:0pt;} h2 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoHeader, li.MsoHeader, div.MsoHeader {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoFooter, li.MsoFooter, div.MsoFooter {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoBodyTextIndent, li.MsoBodyTextIndent, div.MsoBodyTextIndent {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoBodyTextIndent2, li.MsoBodyTextIndent2, div.MsoBodyTextIndent2 {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-style:italic;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> She sent an idle gaze around, the large clock on the library’s tower catching her eye. Its’ black hands displayed the time as two minutes till noon.

She straightened to attention, squinting to sharpen her eyesight. Three people exited the building, but Preston went up the library steps. Mona frowned, wariness prickling her scalp.<o></o>

[I]Miss Flowers always shuts the library promptly at noon. He’s lived in town long enough to know that.

Maybe you should see what he’s up to.

Why? He lied to Buzz. I don’t care what he’s doing.

You’re the liar. What are you waiting on? Go!

She hesitated only briefly. Running out her yard, she rushed down the sidewalk. The clock chimed its first tone. Through the loud bong vibrating the air, another sound reached her: Miss Flowers’ heels tapping down the tiled hallway near the front entryway. With an extra boost of energy, Mona dived inside, swerving instantly to the left and ducking into the ladies room. Chest heaving, she gasped for breath, listening as the heavy door thudded behind Miss Flowers and she clicked the lock in place. Mona moved into the dimmed hallway, darting her gaze to the right and to the left. The whisper of cautious footsteps carried from the basement level below.<o></o>

Noiselessly, she trod downstairs. Rounding the corner wall, she paused, drawing back next to the edge. Slowly, she peeked around. Preston stood before a door, his left hand grasping the knob. He swung the door wide, standing at the threshold to survey the room before he entered. When he disappeared inside, Mona approached. She stared at an untidy assortment of haphazardly stacked cardboard boxes, dented filing cabinets, and tables piled with small mountains of dog-eared books. Preston carefully edged his way between a far table and the wall.<o></o>

“What are you doing here?” She meant to whisper but her voice echoed like she called down a well. Preston twisted on his heel, his expression of wary concentration melting into surprised concern. Before he could say a word, music blared from a wall-mounted speaker. Mona cringed, jamming her fingers in her ears. The scent of Old Spice overwhelmed her nostrils an instant before the door snapped shut.
Visit my site (http://www.missmaesite.com), blog, (http://missmaesite.blogspot.com) and publisher. (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/said-the-spider-to-the-fly-p-1138.html?zenid=50afb552c8508b77d12b4170ca11eb7c)

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Turtle Soup: Romantic Adventure--For visitors dropping by our chat today, here is a blurb for my environmentally-friendly sweet romance that won the 2010 Dirk A Wolf Cover Art award for contemporary romance:

Turtle Soup
by Danielle Thorne
Awestruck Publishing

Blurb:
Sea turtles may be endangered but after an encounter with marine biologist, Jack Brandon, nothing will stop Sara Hart from naming her deli Turtle Soup. When Jack takes a job at the nearby Georgia Aquarium, Sara finds the environmental poster boy at her door, hungry and carrying a chip on his shoulder. Neither thinks the other has what it takes, until a scuba class reveals what lies beneath the surface.

Find it and more (like an excerpt!) at:
http://www.awe-struck.net/books/turtle_soup.html

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks, Laurie. I"m giving a little later into the dinner here.
They fell silent. Jody scanned the crowd and spotted Gretchen. Gretchen, three tables over, waved, turned thumbs up to her, pointing at Leroy. She included a silent puckering of her lips as if to make a woo whoo sound, fanning her face like she was heating up, and then pointed at Leroy again. Jody gave her best rolling of her eyes expression hoping to convince her she wasn’t impressed or interested in Leroy.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
“It’s going to be a long night if we don’t do a little talking; besides the dinner will go faster. Much to our liking,” Leroy said. Jody made eye contact long enough to see sensitive brown eyes, square jaw, straight lock of hair spilled on to his forehead, big but attractive nose and the first hint of a smile.
Off to a slow start for Leroy and Jody for sure. As I said, I"m about done with this story, nearing 68K words. Larry

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Oops! We posted @the same time. lol I loved this book, Miss Mae. And congrats for winning best book of the week at LASR. I didn't know that!

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Nothing like a friend to torture you in public, haha.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
That's when we wonder if they're really friends! LOL

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I think the best friends teach us how to laugh at ourselves.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Winner of the 2009 Top Ten Reads at MyShelf.com!
Blurb:

Winifred Merryweather loves mysteries. She believes her sleuthing abilities, while maybe not on par with London’s most brilliant detective, are nonetheless extremely capable. After all, when she meets with the members of her reading club at Lord Nelson Chatham’s estate, isn’t she the first to deduce the identity of the villain in the books they discuss?

But when the whole of her reading club, along with newspaper reporter Remington Hawthorne, is kidnapped and thrust into a mystery not of their choosing, Winifred must use every skill she possesses to uncover the clues. What is the truth behind the nightmarish scenario they find themselves in? Who is their abductor? Are the tricks and riddles which confront them merely a test of their initiative–or something more sinister?

And why do Remington’s flirtatious charms annoy her so maddeningly?

The answers don’t come easily and Winifred soon learns that solving a real-life
mystery is anything but “elementary”.

Excerpt:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} h1 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:1; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:0pt;} h2 {mso-style-next:Normal; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:center; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; page-break-after:avoid; mso-outline-level:2; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoHeader, li.MsoHeader, div.MsoHeader {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoFooter, li.MsoFooter, div.MsoFooter {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; tab-stops:center 3.0in right 6.0in; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoBodyTextIndent, li.MsoBodyTextIndent, div.MsoBodyTextIndent {margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:.5in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoBodyTextIndent2, li.MsoBodyTextIndent2, div.MsoBodyTextIndent2 {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; font-style:italic;} p.MsoBodyTextIndent3, li.MsoBodyTextIndent3, div.MsoBodyTextIndent3 {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:.5in; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> After a moment, a startled voice responded. “Winifred!”

Afraid to believe her ears, she shouted, “Remington!”

“Wherever you are, stay there,” he instructed. “I’ll come to you.”

But she couldn’t remain put. In her haste to reach him, she thumped against several of the mirrors. “Where are you? Are you well?” Tears blurred her vision and she made no effort to brush them away. “I’ve been so worried!”

“Why did you leave?” Irritation heated his query as the thud of his footsteps neared. “Do you have any idea of what it did to me when I awoke and saw you missing?”

“Oh.” She pressed a trembling fist to her lips, his words accelerating her heart in a way she felt sure he didn’t mean for them to. “You may scold me. I don’t care, as long as I know you’re safe.”

“I’ll do more than scold you, young woman, when I get my hands on you. There! I see you!”

His exclamation sent her twisting around. Catching his reflection, she leaped toward him, but bounced back, her forehead suffering an ache where it smacked the glass.

“Be still,” he insisted. “If you move, I can’t judge your location.”

“Indeed.” She paid no mind to parroting Percival’s favorite expression because she realized, with a shock of feminine vanity, that Remington would be with her again. Leaning closer to her reflection, she stared with dismay at her drooping curls, torn cuffs and grimy hem. Setting the lantern on the floor, she hastily felt for the loosened hairpins and refastened her unruly strands. “I saw Mr. Upjohn,” she spoke loudly to muffle the drumming of her pulse, “but only briefly. I lost him again before I entered this place.”

“Yes, this place. What shall we label it? The hall of mirrors?” Remington sounded grim. “And working mazes is not my strong point. This is giving me the devil of a time.”

“You’re managing superbly. I can see you plainly now.”

Winifred watched his reflection in the farthest mirror. The sight of his frock coat torn at one shoulder and dirt padding his knees made her wonder what danger he had to overcome. A tremor feathered down her spine as a thought struck her. “You didn’t encounter those vicious hounds again, did you?”

“No.” Their gazes met and locked. The tautness around his mouth eased as open relief flooded his eyes. “You’re really here. I’m not imagining I hear your voice.”

“Not at all.” For some reason, shyness consumed her. Trying to laugh off the odd reaction, she gave a self-conscious shrug. “I’m afraid this is truly me, complete with tatters and filth.”

“That’s not what I see. You are only a courageous, lovely woman.”
To be re-released by Whimsical Publications. (http://whimsicalpublications.com/miss_mae/Its_Elementary_My_Dear_Winifred.html)

Visit my site, (http://www.missmaesite.com) and blog. (http://missmaesite.blogspot.com)

Sarah M Eden
April 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hello all. This is the long-lost, perpetually-absent Sarah Eden. I found my way back to CTR.

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hey All! I'm finally popping in from the sunny, almost-West Coast state of sunny Arizona! A few more earthquakes like the one they felt all the way in Phoenix last week, and we may actually BE on the West Coast. (Right after California slides into the ocean.)

Oh, for those of you who don't know me, I'm Joyce DiPastena, author of two sweet medieval romances, Loyalty's Web and Illuminations of the Heart, and currently at work on a third that may or may not ever see the light of day!

Sarah M Eden
April 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Howdy, Joyce! Sounds like I left AZ just in time--earthquakes?!? Are you kidding me?!

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Hey Sarah! That's what people I know who live in the Valley say. One person I talked to said they only felt the tremor for about 3 seconds, but apparently that was a pretty exciting 3 seconds for the people who live in the Valley who've never felt an earthquake before! It didn't get all the way to where I live. I'm about 60 miles east of Mesa.

Sarah M Eden
April 8th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hey Sarah! That's what people I know who live in the Valley say. One person I talked to said they only felt the tremor for about 3 seconds, but apparently that was a pretty exciting 3 seconds for the people who live in the Valley who've never felt an earthquake before! It didn't get all the way to where I live. I'm about 60 miles east of Mesa.
I probably ought to go knock on a lot of wood. I left the valley, where earthquakes are only felt from a distance, and moved to a city built along a fault line. Earthquakes are inevitable here. Makes a person reevaluate their intelligence.

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I probably ought to go knock on a lot of wood. I left the valley, where earthquakes are only felt from a distance, and moved to a city built along a fault line. Earthquakes are inevitable here. Makes a person reevaluate their intelligence.

My sister lives up there, too. That's why she comes to visit me three times a year, and I only visit her once a year. ;)

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I agree, Miss Mae. "Gone With the Wind" was a super book and movie.

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Hi Laurie! How do you manage to have only 4 books left in your TBR pile? I've got so many, I gave up counting. LOL!

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Women's fiction is about the journey and growth of the heroine. Every women's fiction story I've ever read involved at least some romance, but it always took second place behind the heroine's growth as a character.

MSEReads
April 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Danielle - I think lots of times our panhandle weather slides right on into GA. :) Glad to see you too.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Earthquakes? Yikes! Joyce, stay safe. Hope you and Sarah are ready to join in the fun.

MSEReads
April 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hey All! I'm finally popping in from the sunny, almost-West Coast state of sunny Arizona! A few more earthquakes like the one they felt all the way in Phoenix last week, and we may actually BE on the West Coast. (Right after California slides into the ocean.)

Oh, for those of you who don't know me, I'm Joyce DiPastena, author of two sweet medieval romances, Loyalty's Web and Illuminations of the Heart, and currently at work on a third that may or may not ever see the light of day!
Hi Joyce-
I'll cheer that third book on for the light of day. Go Go!

Sarah M Eden
April 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I can't think of "Gone With the Wind" without laughing at Carol Burnett's GWTW parody where she walks down the staircase wearing curtains--with the curtain rod still attached. Laugh-out-loud funny!

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Earthquakes? Yikes! Joyce, stay safe. Hope you and Sarah are ready to join in the fun.

That depends. Are there any brownies left?

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
EA, thanks for clarifying that. You know, I believe Journey To Forgiveness was originally "Womens' Fiction." But I submitted it to TWRP and with their help changed it to a full-fledged romance. A lot of back story had to be cut out which would have been okay for "Womens' Fiction." Can you tell I'm still grieving over the loss? LOL

Now I'm curious. Can you write suspense like Miss Mae, and turn it into Womens' Fiction? Just curious.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joyce, I don't think Lynn has appeared. Maybe she's waiting for the brownies to come out of the oven.????

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Earthquakes in Arizona? That's about as weird as earthquakes in Indiana, but thankfully we haven't had any in a year or so. :)

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 01:29 PM
EA, thanks for clarifying that. You know, I believe Journey To Forgiveness was originally "Womens' Fiction." But I submitted it to TWRP and with their help changed it to a full-fledged romance. A lot of back story had to be cut out which would have been okay for "Womens' Fiction." Can you tell I'm still grieving over the loss? LOL

Now I'm curious. Can you write suspense like Miss Mae, and turn it into Womens' Fiction? Just curious.
Maybe you can take what you cut and use it in another book. You know, re-purpose it to avoid losing it completely. :)

I don't see why you couldn't write a women's fiction suspense story. I'm not sure I've ever read one, but it sounds like a fun idea.

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I will give you an excerpt from my last ebook released by Wild Rose Press last JUly. It is called Taking Advantage and was released while I was away. There have been zero downloads on this story. Gasp! Two nice ladies promoted this while I was away too. The story is set in a small high school in 1949.
"Gloria tells me you want to take her on a date," she said.
"Yes, Mrs. Garner, I would like to take Gloria roller skating Saturday evening." Zack swallowed, revealing his fear of the moment.
"I don’t believe you are in sports, are you?" Mrs. Garner asked. Gloria had a look of resignation, but Zack could tell she seemed ready to overcome that as she crossed her arms, waiting for an opening.
"No. I was unable to make any of the teams."
"We want Gloria to date our best athletes. She’s been basketball queen throughout high school, so it’s only fitting that she dates them," her mother said.
"Correction, dear. You want Gloria to date them." That comment earned Mr. Garner a glare from his wife.
"Zack’s our top science student," Gloria said.
"Sports are more visible to everyone, not academics," said her mother.
"Zack is an excellent chess player. No one in this part of the state can beat him," Gloria added.
"Actually, I can’t beat Olga," Zack said, glad that he could say something at last.
"Olga?" Gloria asked.
"She’s the Russian girl who moved to our rival school, Tri-County High, about two years ago. She’s grand master status."
"No matter. Chess is another thing that’s not noticeable, just like academics. I’m sorry, Zack. Gloria is booked up dating our athletes. I’m afraid you won’t be able to date her." The way Gloria’s mother stated it left no room for negotiations.
"I want to go out with Zack. In fact, I’m not going out with Jake, Ron or Tom anymore," Gloria said. That made Zack feel good, but she had been right about her mother being a big obstacle.
"And just why don’t you want to go with them anymore?"
"I don’t like them, and I like Zack."
"Zack’s not even good-looking. You should date a handsome boy," said her mother.
Well, Zack thought, that verifies my own opinion of myself.

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
My sweet medieval romance, Illuminations of the Heart, is a finalist for a 2009 Whitney Award in the romance category! The winners will be announced at a gala banquet on April 24 in Provo, Utah. I'm planning to attend, so there better not be any earthquakes while I'm there!

Here's the back cover blurb from Illuminations of the Heart:

“Clothilde.”

He spoke the name on a breath like a prayer. Then he lowered his head and kissed her.

Her heart is lost in that first embrace, her world shaken to its foundations. There is just one problem: her name is not Clothilde. It is Siriol de Calendri.

Trained in the art of illumination in the far-off city of Venice, Siri is directed by her late brother’s will to the county of Poitou in France, where she enters the guardianship of her brother’s friend, Sir Triston de Brielle. Once in Poitou, Siri hopes to find employment in an illuminator’s shop—until Triston unexpectedly snatches her heart away with a kiss.

Triston is a man of quiet honor and courage, but the guilt he carries for the death of his late wife, Clothilde, has left him numb and hesitant to love again. Worse yet, Siri bears an uncanny resemblance to his lost love. Or does she? Her merry laughter and twinkling eyes are very different from his late wife’s shy smiles and quiet ways. Yet when he gazes into Siri’s face, all he sees is Clothilde.

Then Triston’s past returns to threaten them both. Will his tragic life with Clothilde be repeated with Siri? Trapped between the rivalry of the king’s sons on the one hand and a neighbor out for vengeance on the other, Triston realizes it would be safer to send Siri away. But how can he bear to lose her again?

Siri is determined not to be cast off and not to live in another woman’s shadow. She has illuminated many a priceless book with pen and paint. But can her own vibrant spirit illuminate the darkness in Triston’s soul and make his heart beat for her alone?

Illuminations of the Heart is available at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Illuminations-Heart-Joyce-DiPastena/dp/1935217267/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250133259&sr=8-1) , Barnes&Noble.com (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Illuminations-of-the-Heart/Joyce-Dipastena/e/9781935217268/?itm=1), or DeseretBook.com (http://deseretbook.com/item/5027091/Illuminations_of_the_Heart_A_Historical_Novel)

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I will give you an excerpt from my last ebook released by Wild Rose Press last JUly. It is called Taking Advantage and was released while I was away. There have been zero downloads on this story. Gasp! Two nice ladies promoted this while I was away too. The story is set in a small high school in 1949.
"Yes, Mrs. Garner, I would like to take Gloria roller skating Saturday evening." Zack swallowed, revealing his fear of the moment.
"I don’t believe you are in sports, are you?" Mrs. Garner asked. Gloria had a look of resignation, but Zack could tell she seemed ready to overcome that as she crossed her arms, waiting for an opening.
"We want Gloria to date our best athletes. She’s been basketball queen throughout high school, so it’s only fitting that she dates them," her mother said.
"Correction, dear. You want Gloria to date them." That comment earned Mr. Garner a glare from his wife.
"Zack is an excellent chess player. No one in this part of the state can beat him," Gloria added.
"Actually, I can’t beat Olga," Zack said, glad that he could say something at last.
"Olga?" Gloria asked.
"She’s the Russian girl who moved to our rival school, Tri-County High, about two years ago. She’s grand master status."
"No matter. Chess is another thing that’s not noticeable, just like academics. I’m sorry, Zack. Gloria is booked up dating our athletes. I’m afraid you won’t be able to date her." The way Gloria’s mother stated it left no room for negotiations.
"I want to go out with Zack. In fact, I’m not going out with Jake, Ron or Tom anymore," Gloria said. That made Zack feel good, but she had been right about her mother being a big obstacle.
"Zack’s not even good-looking. You should date a handsome boy," said her mother.

Wow, this excerpt definitely has a lot of conflict! Now I want to know if/how Zack and Gloria get together.

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Hi Joyce-
I'll cheer that third book on for the light of day. Go Go!

Thanks, Martha! I've had a very down writing week, but then, I've had a very down week. Don't know what's up with me. Someone tell Lynn to get over here with those brownies! LOL!

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Larry, I enjoyed your excerpt from "Taking Advantage." Your characters are so real you can visualize people you know who are very much like them. I do feel sorry for Zack, but I think you've made him strong enough to take it without carrying a chip on his shoulder.

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
"Olga?" Gloria asked.

"Zack's not even goodlooking"??? Ouch! Talk about your zingers! That's one mom to look out for! Great excerpt, Larry!

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Greetings, gals! So glad you made it over! :) Joyce, I thought of you when I heard about the earthquake and wondered if you might have felt a sliver. It's creepy to think about!

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Greetings, gals! So glad you made it over! :) Joyce, I thought of you when I heard about the earthquake and wondered if you might have felt a sliver. It's creepy to think about!

No slivers where I live, MM. It might have been interesting, though...as long as it only lasted 3 seconds.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM
For those readers unaware....

The Sweetest Romance Authors have a quarterly newsletter we'd be happy to mail your way. All you need to do to sign up is send an email saying, "Sign me up" to:

thesweetestromance AT gmail dot com

And did you know we have a blog? Learn more about us all the time over at http://thesweetestromanceauthors.blogspot.com

And follow us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/AuthorsofSweetR

Be our fan on FaceBook! (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Sweetest-Romance-Authors/369203543737?ref=ts)

So what's to keep you from getting your daily addiction of sweet reads? :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Don't tell me she's disappeared already! Tell us about your books, Sarah! C'mon!

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks Laurie and JOyce. Zack doesn't think he's good looking but his sister, Molly, reminds him of how Rhonda at the roller rink is always chasing after him to do the circle waltz. Rhonda is pretty so Zack is incorrect about his looks. Larry

Sarah M Eden
April 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Don't tell me she's disappeared already! Tell us about your books, Sarah! C'mon!
Oh. I haven't disappeared. My kids are home on Spring Break, so the chat is not getting my undivided attention.

About my books... My daughter describes them thus "Kissy, romantic books where the people lived a long time ago and talked funny." Not a bad description for historical romance, eh?

I write superbly suh-weet Regency romances. The guy always get the girl, the characters are almost always funny and my Mom thinks they are fantastic. My most recent, "Courting Miss Lancaster" was released last month--again, my Mom loved it!

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks Laurie and JOyce. Zack doesn't think he's good looking but his sister, Molly, reminds him of how Rhonda at the roller rink is always chasing after him to do the circle waltz. Rhonda is pretty so Zack is incorrect about his looks. Larry

I figured that was the case. I just thought the line characterized the mother wonderfully. A great demonstration of "showing" rather than "telling" in your writing!

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Dreams Do Come True is an inspirational romance available from White Rose Publishing (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=147&products_id=1195).

Blurb:

Aspiring author Cassie Teague has been rejected…again. As she considers giving up her dream of getting published, a handsome editor walks into her life and makes her wonder if God has more in store for her than just writing.

Acquisitions editor David Jameson wants more than just Cassie’s book. But will office politics destroy his hope for the future?

Excerpt:

Gayle glanced at the envelope in Cassie’s hand and nodded toward the vacant end of the counter. Cassie went to the last seat in the row and laid the envelope in front of her. She needed Gayle’s moral support when she opened this one. The publisher she’d submitted to was the perfect match for her book, and she’d spent nearly a month on the submission package to make sure it was perfect.

Gayle finally finished serving the elderly man and joined Cassie. “Be brave.”

Cassie managed a weak smile and prayed for strength as she picked up the envelope. A moment later, she pulled out her submission package and what appeared to be a form letter. She got as far as “We regret...” before she dropped the stack of papers on the counter and lowered her head to her hands with a moan. “Not again!”

The strip of bells hanging on the door jangled before Gayle could reply. She gave Cassie’s arm a consoling pat, and then went to tend the new customer.

Cassie brushed her long hair from her eyes as she lifted her head and reached for the rejection letter, hoping it contained some clue as to why they didn’t want her novel. Her gaze briefly went to the new customer. His gorgeous movie cowboy appearance caught her attention and made her heart do a two-step. Dark-haired and blue-eyed, he stood at least six foot two and had wide shoulders that tapered down to a trim waist. He’d tucked his white shirt into a pair of jeans that fit oh-so-perfectly on his hips. The sleeves were rolled up to reveal tanned, well-toned forearms. He smiled as he spoke to Gayle, and Cassie decided receiving another rejection letter was almost worth it to see this amazing specimen of a man.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
About my books... My daughter describes them thus "Kissy, romantic books where the people lived a long time ago and talked funny." Not a bad description for historical romance, eh?

LOL :) I think that's one of the best descriptions of historical romance that I've ever heard.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Joyce, you may be experiencing a small case of "burn-out." I was going through that in December and January. It seemed all the other authors had books coming out right and left, and I was still stuck on a particular full length (which is on the back burner for now).

I had started a short story. Miss Mae encouraged me to finish it and post it on Smashwords. That got me over the slump. JONQUILS IN THE SNOW was born, and my gusto is back. Since then I've begun two more, both were suppose to shorts, but one could become a full length. (Might be nice if I finished one before I started the other. Bad habit of mine.) I think I have four unfinished stories at present.

But then, Loree Lough has four going at the same time. I don't know how she keeps her characters straight. LOL. I've always been the kind who believed you should finish what you start before picking something else up. I'm discovering I just may be wrong on that idea. Hm-mmm.

Sarah M Eden
April 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
LOL :) I think that's one of the best descriptions of historical romance that I've ever heard.
She is a genius, I know.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Looking for a mystery with your romance? Try Light in the Darkness available from Sea Crest eBooks (http://shop.dianakaypublishing.com/product.sc?productId=16&categoryId=1).

Blurb:

Kennedy Drake loves exploring dark places, which makes his job as a graveyard shift security guard ideal. While checking out strange noises in his elderly neighbor’s basement, he discovers a hidden room with a woman trapped inside. Chastity Mooreland has more to fear than her time trapped in darkness. Will Kennedy believe her bizarre tale of a stalker no one thinks is guilty—and will he help free her from a life of despair? Can Chastity look past her suspicion of mankind to accept his offer of friendship?

Excerpt:

Kennedy went back the way he’d come and passed through the last doorway, stopping in amazement. The huge room was lined with cobwebby wooden shelves, some of which held a few dust-covered canning jars. A pair of wooden bins with sloping lids and three old wooden barrels with age-darkened metal rings stood in the middle of the floor. He couldn’t help wondering if the room had held a year’s worth of food in the days of horse-drawn carriages. It looked large enough.

He found a switch on the wall and turned on the lights. Two of the three bulbs hanging from the ceiling flashed bright then went out, and he made a mental note to come back later to change them. Louise likely wouldn’t ever come in her basement again, but it would give her peace of mind to know the lights worked. He set the flashlight on one of the shelves near the door and walked over to the bins and barrels. Empty. He glanced around the room one more time, not seeing anything that would make any kind of noise without human help, and there weren’t any tracks to indicate anyone had been down there in the last six months.

He retrieved his flashlight and reached for the light switch. A tapping sound from the far side of the room stilled his hand. He turned around, but all he saw were empty shelves and a spider busily spinning a web in the corner. The tapping grew more frantic as he slowly approached the shelves.

“Hello? Is somebody there?”

The tapping stopped. “Help me! Please, get me out of here!” a hysterical female voice called, muffled by the wood-backed shelves.

It took Kennedy a moment to recover from the shock of actually getting a reply. “Keep tapping so I can figure out where you are.”

The tapping continued and so did the voice, though it now sounded like the woman was crying. “Please hurry! I have to get out of here! Please...”

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Sarah, you daughter is "right on" but I still love historical romance.

Laurean
Sarah, your daughter is "right on" but I still love historical romance.

Miss Mae
She is a genius, I know.

I agree. That's a hoot! LOL

Miss Mae
Looking for a mystery with your romance? Try Light in the Darkness available from Sea Crest eBooks (http://shop.dianakaypublishing.com/product.sc?productId=16&categoryId=1).

Blurb:

Kennedy Drake loves exploring dark places, which makes his job as a graveyard shift security guard ideal. While checking out strange noises in his elderly neighbor’s basement, he discovers a hidden room with a woman trapped inside. Chastity Mooreland has more to fear than her time trapped in darkness. Will Kennedy believe her bizarre tale of a stalker no one thinks is guilty—and will he help free her from a life of despair? Can Chastity look past her suspicion of mankind to accept his offer of friendship?

Excerpt:

Kennedy went back the way he’d come and passed through the last doorway, stopping in amazement. The huge room was lined with cobwebby wooden shelves, some of which held a few dust-covered canning jars. A pair of wooden bins with sloping lids and three old wooden barrels with age-darkened metal rings stood in the middle of the floor. He couldn’t help wondering if the room had held a year’s worth of food in the days of horse-drawn carriages. It looked large enough.

He found a switch on the wall and turned on the lights. Two of the three bulbs hanging from the ceiling flashed bright then went out, and he made a mental note to come back later to change them. Louise likely wouldn’t ever come in her basement again, but it would give her peace of mind to know the lights worked. He set the flashlight on one of the shelves near the door and walked over to the bins and barrels. Empty. He glanced around the room one more time, not seeing anything that would make any kind of noise without human help, and there weren’t any tracks to indicate anyone had been down there in the last six months.

He retrieved his flashlight and reached for the light switch. A tapping sound from the far side of the room stilled his hand. He turned around, but all he saw were empty shelves and a spider busily spinning a web in the corner. The tapping grew more frantic as he slowly approached the shelves.

The tapping stopped. “Help me! Please, get me out of here!” a hysterical female voice called, muffled by the wood-backed shelves.

It took Kennedy a moment to recover from the shock of actually getting a reply. “Keep tapping so I can figure out where you are.”

The tapping continued and so did the voice, though it now sounded like the woman was crying. “Please hurry! I have to get out of here! Please...”

Oh, I read this one! Loved it!

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Arrrrrgggh! I tried to change "you" to "your" and it posted twice. I apologize.

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Dreams Do Come True is an inspirational romance available from White Rose Publishing (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=147&products_id=1195).

Blurb:

Aspiring author Cassie Teague has been rejected…again. As she considers giving up her dream of getting published, a handsome editor walks into her life and makes her wonder if God has more in store for her than just writing.

Acquisitions editor David Jameson wants more than just Cassie’s book. But will office politics destroy his hope for the future?

Excerpt:

Gayle glanced at the envelope in Cassie’s hand and nodded toward the vacant end of the counter. Cassie went to the last seat in the row and laid the envelope in front of her. She needed Gayle’s moral support when she opened this one. The publisher she’d submitted to was the perfect match for her book, and she’d spent nearly a month on the submission package to make sure it was perfect.

Gayle finally finished serving the elderly man and joined Cassie. “Be brave.”

Cassie managed a weak smile and prayed for strength as she picked up the envelope. A moment later, she pulled out her submission package and what appeared to be a form letter. She got as far as “We regret...” before she dropped the stack of papers on the counter and lowered her head to her hands with a moan. “Not again!”

The strip of bells hanging on the door jangled before Gayle could reply. She gave Cassie’s arm a consoling pat, and then went to tend the new customer.

Cassie brushed her long hair from her eyes as she lifted her head and reached for the rejection letter, hoping it contained some clue as to why they didn’t want her novel. Her gaze briefly went to the new customer. His gorgeous movie cowboy appearance caught her attention and made her heart do a two-step. Dark-haired and blue-eyed, he stood at least six foot two and had wide shoulders that tapered down to a trim waist. He’d tucked his white shirt into a pair of jeans that fit oh-so-perfectly on his hips. The sleeves were rolled up to reveal tanned, well-toned forearms. He smiled as he spoke to Gayle, and Cassie decided receiving another rejection letter was almost worth it to see this amazing specimen of a man.

Wow! He's something else indeed, to tear her away from a rejection letter! LOL! This is a great excerpt, EA! I'd leave a rejection letter like a shot for this guy, too! :)

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Joyce, you may be experiencing a small case of "burn-out." I was going through that in December and January. It seemed all the other authors had books coming out right and left, and I was still stuck on a particular full length (which is on the back burner for now).

I had started a short story. Miss Mae encouraged me to finish it and post it on Smashwords. That got me over the slump. JONQUILS IN THE SNOW was born, and my gusto is back. Since then I've begun two more, both were suppose to shorts, but one could become a full length. (Might be nice if I finished one before I started the other. Bad habit of mine.) I think I have four unfinished stories at present.

But then, Loree Lough has four going at the same time. I don't know how she keeps her characters straight. LOL. I've always been the kind who believed you should finish what you start before picking something else up. I'm discovering I just may be wrong on that idea. Hm-mmm.
I'm suffering a bit of writerly burnout myself, but I'll get past it. I'm already thinking about which manuscript I should work on, which is a sign that the burnout is coming to an end. It's also a sign that I have too many unfinished projects. LOL :)

Seriously, Laurie, don't feel bad about having four unfinished stories. I have six and at least as many completed manuscripts that need revisions or rewrites. Hm...I wonder why I suffer from burnout every once in a while? hehe :)

Totally off-topic: I just spotted this little guy :jumprope: and had to share something. Jumping rope is a great activity if you're suffering from writer's block or just can't face looking at a manuscript. After playing with a jump rope, I'm usually ready to go back to writing for at least a bit. Plus it's great exercise. :jumprope:

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM

I saw that Loree Lough was working on 4 books, and it just about floored me. I'm like you, I need to start something and see it through to the end. I'm terrible at writing short stories. I'm terrible at writing "short", period! I'm tempted to go and work on something else, but a part of me feels like that would be admitting defeat. Am I going to whip this WIP or is this WIP going to whip me? It's a battle of wills. I wonder which of us is going to come out on top?

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Oh, I read this one! Loved it!
I'm always glad to hear from happy readers. :giggle:

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Wow! He's something else indeed, to tear her away from a rejection letter! LOL! This is a great excerpt, EA! I'd leave a rejection letter like a shot for this guy, too! :)
I think we'd all take rejection letters better if we had a man like that to distract us. LOL :)

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hi Sarah, glad you made it.

Joyce DiPastena

Blurb:

Excerpt:

Love this, EA! Creepy atmosphere. Wonderful, desperate mystery! This is a Gotta Read!

DanielleThorne
Joyce! You made it! Can't believe that you felt those CA earthquakes. Scary!

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Totally off-topic: I just spotted this little guy :jumprope: and had to share something. Jumping rope is a great activity if you're suffering from writer's block or just can't face looking at a manuscript. After playing with a jump rope, I'm usually ready to go back to writing for at least a bit. Plus it's great exercise. :jumprope:

What a fun "little guy"! And what a great idea, to jump rope for a "break", EA! I'll have to give that a try!

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hey Sarah--I saw your book in the Desert Books catalog I get. Thought it was kind of cool. Now I've seen you AND Joyce in a big mailing. Very special. Congrats on getting listed.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Time for one last excerpt! This is from my latest release, and my first romantic suspense, Riley's Mission. As I mentioned earlier, it's now available from The Wild Rose Press (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/rileys-mission-p-3961.html).

Blurb:

Trapped in a flooded hospital, former Israeli operative Jade Rosen discovers she's not alone. One of the other stranded patients is none other than the cold-blooded killer she'd left behind in a Syrian prison, the man who'd forced her to leave everyone she loved behind and go into hiding.

Indiana National Guardsman Riley Jackson is on a mission to locate and contain a cunning terrorist whose guards aren't responding. He finds more than he bargained for when the woman he loves appears out of nowhere, desperately ill and once again needing his protection.

Will Jade and Riley find their happy ending, or will they pay the ultimate price at the hands of a man determined to see Jade dead?

Excerpt:

Raised voices caught her attention and she opened her eyes. One of the voices spoke English, but the other shouted in Arabic. Jade’s heart raced and she trembled at the sound of the Arabic voice.

It couldn’t be him. She’d left him in a Syrian prison.

She climbed out of bed and went to the door. No matter how horrible she felt, she had to know if it was him. She followed the sound of the quieting voices and peered around the corner. In a glass-walled room lay Aziz Khadoul. He was having a heated discussion with a brown-haired man wearing an outfit identical to Gibson’s. The soldier looked almost like...

It couldn’t be. She hadn’t seen him since Kuwait. Jade backed away and leaned against the wall, fighting terror at the sight of the man responsible for her evacuation to the United States in the company of a man she knew well.

She made her way to an empty wheelchair parked a few feet away and dropped into the seat. Lowering her head to her hands, she tried to figure out how Khadoul had ended up in Grant County General Hospital. How had he even made it into the United States?

No matter how he’d gotten here, he couldn’t see her. He’d attempted to kill her before, and she had no doubt he’d try again, no matter how sick he was. Moisture stung her eyes. She’d fought so long and hard to stop him from killing anyone.

“Ma’am, are you all right?”

Jade lifted her head and found Gibson watching her. Before she could respond, she noticed the brown-haired man with him, the same man who had spoken with Khadoul.

She hadn’t been wrong.

Sarah M Eden
April 8th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hey Sarah--I saw your book in the Desert Books catalog I get. Thought it was kind of cool. Now I've seen you AND Joyce in a big mailing. Very special. Congrats on getting listed.
That was pretty cool to see. I admit, I squealed!

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Joyce! You made it! Can't believe that you felt those CA earthquakes. Scary!

Hi Danielle! Yeah, I've been here for a little over an hour. :) I didn't actually feel the earthquake myself. It rippled from California to the Phoenix area, about 60 miles west of where I live, but it didn't find my house. ;)

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM

I was in a big mailing? What big mailing was I in?

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
JOURNEY TO FORGIVENESS blurb:

When Jenny Hinson's abusive father deserts the family, the responsibility of the family's Tennessee farm falls to Jenny and her mother. Four years later, in 1938, boll weevils infest the cotton crop, plunging the Hinsons into dire financial straits. Jenny is forced to take the train north of find work.

Electricity has yet to reach rural Chicory Valley. but, not only is the young woman introduced to it in its tappe form in Chicago, but also encounters a few jolts along the way when she challenges the infuriating Austin Grant over a luggage mishap. Sparks fly outside the Kankakee train station when Jenny discovers the case under Austin's arm. All the evidence labeled him as a thief. And after Austin coaxes money from her aunt's congregation, Jenny determines to find enough evidence to bring him to justice.

Jenny watches from her hiding place as Austin removes a fat roll of bills from the mission strongbox and stuffs it in his shirt pocket. Wasn't this the proof she needed to convict him? Then why was she reluctant to report the theft? And why did her heart race at every encounter with the notorious Austin? Jenny's personal convictions would never allow a relationship where trust was blatantly missing.

Can Jenny muster enough courage to ask Austin the tough questions that will ultimately make or break their relationship? Without forgiving her father and the abuse he inflicted, she has no future with the man she loves. Will she relinquish haunting memories and embrace a new beginning? Find out as you follow Jenny's struggles in...JOURNEY TO FORGIVENESS. www.whiterosepublishing.com/ (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/)
Read humorous character interviews at Laurean's Lore http://laureanslore.blogspot.com/

Check out the heartwarming romance, JONQUILS IN THE SNOW at Smashwords. A short story for only $2.99. What a deal! http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341/

Joyce DiPastena
Time for one last excerpt! This is from my latest release, and my first romantic suspense, Riley's Mission. As I mentioned earlier, it's now available from The Wild Rose Press (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/rileys-mission-p-3961.html).

Blurb:

Trapped in a flooded hospital, former Israeli operative Jade Rosen discovers she's not alone. One of the other stranded patients is none other than the cold-blooded killer she'd left behind in a Syrian prison, the man who'd forced her to leave everyone she loved behind and go into hiding.

Indiana National Guardsman Riley Jackson is on a mission to locate and contain a cunning terrorist whose guards aren't responding. He finds more than he bargained for when the woman he loves appears out of nowhere, desperately ill and once again needing his protection.

Will Jade and Riley find their happy ending, or will they pay the ultimate price at the hands of a man determined to see Jade dead?

Excerpt:

Raised voices caught her attention and she opened her eyes. One of the voices spoke English, but the other shouted in Arabic. Jade’s heart raced and she trembled at the sound of the Arabic voice.

She climbed out of bed and went to the door. No matter how horrible she felt, she had to know if it was him. She followed the sound of the quieting voices and peered around the corner. In a glass-walled room lay Aziz Khadoul. He was having a heated discussion with a brown-haired man wearing an outfit identical to Gibson’s. The soldier looked almost like...

It couldn’t be. She hadn’t seen him since Kuwait. Jade backed away and leaned against the wall, fighting terror at the sight of the man responsible for her evacuation to the United States in the company of a man she knew well.

She made her way to an empty wheelchair parked a few feet away and dropped into the seat. Lowering her head to her hands, she tried to figure out how Khadoul had ended up in Grant County General Hospital. How had he even made it into the United States?

No matter how he’d gotten here, he couldn’t see her. He’d attempted to kill her before, and she had no doubt he’d try again, no matter how sick he was. Moisture stung her eyes. She’d fought so long and hard to stop him from killing anyone.

Jade lifted her head and found Gibson watching her. Before she could respond, she noticed the brown-haired man with him, the same man who had spoken with Khadoul.

She hadn’t been wrong.

Love it! You're on a roll, EA!

EAWest
I'm going to duck out for a while. I have some work to do and a vet trip for a cat and a dog (don't worry, they get along well LOL), and then I'll be back later this afternoon or evening.

Anne Patrick
April 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Howdy, everyone! Sorry I'm just now checking in. Work has been a madhouse today.BashingHead If I can just make it through the next three hours I have a three day weekend to do nothing but write.Beggin' Smilie

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I'm going to duck out for a while. I have some work to do and a vet trip for a cat and a dog (don't worry, they get along well LOL), and then I'll be back later this afternoon or evening.

I took my cat to the vet last week. She didn't sleep with me for days, but she's finally forgiven me. Until I take her again next year.

Good luck, EA. Trips to the vet are always such fun! (Ha!)

Anne Patrick
April 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Great excerpts EA!!!

Blurb:

Excerpt:

She hadn’t been wrong.

Anne Patrick
April 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Hey has anyone heard if Lynn's dog came back yet?

I took my cat to the vet last week. She didn't sleep with me for days, but she's finally forgiven me. Until I take her again next year.

Good luck, EA. Trips to the vet are always such fun! (Ha!)

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Welcome, Anne! Glad you managed to join us! :)

Howdy, everyone! Sorry I'm just now checking in. Work has been a madhouse today.BashingHead If I can just make it through the next three hours I have a three day weekend to do nothing but write.Beggin' Smilie

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
No, and I've been worrying about that. I don't think she's joined the chat today, yet. At least, I haven't seen any brownies.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Hang in there, Anne. You'll make it! :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM

I sure haven't. :(

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks, EA. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has unfinished writing projects. Like Joyce, I thought of myself as a failure unless I finished one before starting another. Joyce, you and I must be alike in several ways. I also had trouble writing a short. But the change of pace worked for me. I wrote JONQUILS IN THE SNOW in 5 days and it was up at Smaswords within 10.

After talking to Loree Lough, who continually has several WIPs going at the same time, I'm convinced that if you have more than one, you have more to choose from when you get stuck or burned out. Does that make sense?

Regarding Loree, who can argue with a lady who's published 75 books?

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Hey Anne! I've been waiting for you to pop in. Missed you.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Whew, gotta join EA for a while. I've been here for so long I think I've grown to the chair! lol I'll be back later, though, after I've rested! The chat is going great, everyone! Thank you for coming over! :)

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 02:43 PM
lol--I squealed for you, too. :)

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM
You were in Deseret Books book flyer last month or month before.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
A wonderful book. I recommended it as an example of the new Modern Historical genre in my newsletter this month.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThePrivateerNewsletter/

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
lol--good smileys. emoticons? i need one that has asprin and a heating pad!

Sarah M Eden
April 8th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I need to go help a reluctant 4th grader work on his research project. I'll try to stop by again later!!

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM
You were in Deseret Books book flyer last month or month before.

I was??? My editor told me when Loyalty's Web came out that they couldn't afford to place an advertisement in the DB catalog/flyer, so I've long since quit even looking. Ack! I can't believe I missed it!!! I'll have to ask my sister if she still has any DB catalogs hanging around her house!

Anne Patrick
April 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hi Laurean. Would have been here sooner but it's been a hetic day. Hey your blurb sounded great!

Hey Anne! I've been waiting for you to pop in. Missed you.

Anne Patrick
April 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Has anyone submitted to Carina Press yet? They're affiliated with Harlequin but only do ebooks. They're supposed to launch in June I think.

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I see the advantage of having books to switch between when you're feeling burned out on one project. But I'm always afraid I'll lose my momentum and won't be able to recover it. Or that it'll take me so long to "get back into it" that it'll feel almost like starting over to go back to it. Maybe I should take a break, though, and try writing something short, just to see if I can actually do it. Just to do something different. I don't know. You've given me some good things to think about. Thanks, Laurean and EA!

Thanks, EA. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has unfinished writing projects. Like Joyce, I thought of myself as a failure unless I finished one before starting another. Joyce, you and I must be alike in several ways. I also had trouble writing a short. But the change of pace worked for me. I wrote JONQUILS IN THE SNOW in 5 days and it was up at Smaswords within 10.

After talking to Loree Lough, who continually has several WIPs going at the same time, I'm convinced that if you have more than one, you have more to choose from when you get stuck or burned out. Does that make sense?

Regarding Loree, who can argue with a lady who's published 75 books?

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm going to have to sign off for a bit, too. I'll check back in later this afternoon, but I don't know how many of you will still be hanging around by then. Still, I'll pop in to see if anyone's still here!

In the meantime, I'll leave you with an excerpt from my Whitney Award finaling sweet medieval romance, Illuminations of the Heart. Hope you enjoy it!

She sat in a high chair, bent over a tall, slanting desk, rubbing a piece of pumice over what looked like a sheet of parchment. She looked up at the sound of his footstep. Her soft mouth quivered up at the corners in what he recognized as a brave attempt at a smile, an attempt he knew was going to fail. In another moment those lips would droop back into a pout, or worse they would start trembling and tears would well up into those big blue eyes. He would have to sweep her into his arms and cradle her to his heart and whisper over and over again that he would make everything right…

“They have ruined it,” she said. “I have tried and tried to clean it, but the stains are too deep.”

There went her mouth, and the tears— He took a step towards her, but she rubbed them away with a briskness that startled him into stopping again.

“I’m sorry. I know it is foolish to be so mournful over a mere painting. But it was one of Simon’s.”

He moved cautiously closer to the desk, where she had neatly set out several vials of paint and a row of pens and brushes. She looked like a small burst of sunshine herself, draped in a vibrant yellow gown with her shimmering gold hair flowing loose in rich, curling waves down her back. That sorrowful face he knew, but the bright strength springing even through her tears…

Unaccountably disturbed by that subtle foreignness in a countenance he knew as well as he knew his own heart, he looked away from her to the scatter of sheets on the desk. Vellum, not parchment, and a very fine quality, much better than the inferior stuff he used for his scribblings. Some of the stained sheets were blank, but he knew that her tears were for the few that bore her brother’s paintings.

“Simon loved his craft, I recall that well,” he said. “I don’t think I ever saw him without parchment and quill tucked into his belt, and that tiny inkwell he always carried about on a chain. It seemed as if he could not sit still without being about some drawing, detailing the strange plants and creatures we saw on our pilgrimage, or creating some new monstrosity from the vivid realms of his imagination.”

He gestured at the vellum where a winged blue ram charged a green bear with tusks and red, curling antlers like a deer. It was a measure of Simon’s talent, Triston recalled, that he had been able to draw such oddities in fully plausible shapes, if not in convincing colors.

“Yes,” Siri said, “Simon did take especial delight in transposing various animals’ heads with other animals’ bodies and attaching to them the wings of birds. It started when he drew his first bestiary. He wanted to prove to our father that he was ready to be advanced from apprenticeship. Simon worked morning and night, drawing and painting, scarcely pausing to eat, until the project was finished. He said when he slept that night, he dreamed the animals all jumbled up in his head, and the next morning he drew his first staglion—a stag with the head of a lion.”

She laughed, although he heard a small catch in the sound. Triston could not remember the last time he had heard laughter at Vere, even tinged with sadness, as hers was.

He resisted the impulse to look into her face again, but said, “Surely your father did not apprentice you, as well?”

“No, but he allowed me to watch the others and sometimes gave me cast-off scraps of parchment to draw on. One day I sketched my name and decorated the S with three vines and a veritable garden of flowers. Father said it showed talent, so he began instructing me, and then he gave me a brush and taught me to illuminate as well. Sometimes he would even let me help with a patron’s commission, but I was never allowed to sit and draw in the workshop until after he and Mother died.”

“You learned French from your father?” Triston asked.

“Yes. He never learned Italian well. His apprentices had to translate until Simon grew old enough to work in the shop.”

“And you do not know from what part of Poitou he hailed?”

“He never said.”

Triston nodded. “I’m afraid I am unable to restore your brother’s paintings, but I will send to Poitiers for fresh vellum to replace the blank sheets that are spoiled.”

“Thank you. Naturally I will pay for it.”

“Nonsense. Consider it a gift, Lady Siriol, to show how pleased we are to have you with us.”

He stole a glance at her. A mistake. The brilliance of her smile banished the last threat of tears, but it also sent such a shaft through his heart that he turned away quickly and walked over to the window.

S.K.Williams
April 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Yay! I think I figured it out. I am posting on the chat, aren't I?

Anne Patrick
April 8th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Here's an exerpt from my latest novel, Lethal Dreams.

Dr. Erin Jacobs is making a name for herself in the sports world. Drawing on her own life experiences, she encourages and inspires athletes to recover one hundred percent from career ending injuries. So why would someone want to hurt the good doctor?

Detective Logan Sinclair is determined to find that answer. He’s been mesmerized by Erin since the night she found him and his partner shot in an alleyway. Since that night their lives have never been the same. He longs to find someone to share his life with and wants to help her secure her dream of someday opening a youth center. Erin doesn’t want to be a cop’s wife though. She’s been there and done that and paid the ultimate price. She doesn’t want to risk that kind of heartache again. Or does she?

Excerpt

This scene takes place in a restaurant. Erin and one of her co-workers are treating her former youth group to some pizza when two masked men enter.

A woman’s scream shattered their joy. Erin glanced over her shoulder and saw two masked men standing near the cash register. Both were armed with handguns. Her heart leaped in her chest.

“Everyone down on the floor…now!”

Erin felt her heart slamming against her chest as she grabbed Jessica and pushed her to the floor. The teenager began to sob. “It’ll be okay, Jess. As long as we do as they say, they won’t hurt us.”

She heard a few of the children begin to pray the Lord’s Prayer. She wondered if God would listen.

“Erin,” Joey whispered, “Bobby said to use your cell phone to call 911.”

She shook her head. “Just be quiet and keep your head down. It’ll be over with soon.” Had she been alone, she may have risked calling the police, but as it was, she had a table full of children to worry about.

“Come on, sweetheart, hurry it up.”

“Anyone with cell phones, you best not be using them.”

She blinked, thankful she had gone with her instinct.

“Grab a hostage.”

Erin looked up. One of the robbers was heading toward their table. Oh no, not one of the children.

He looked directly at her. “You, get up.”

Erin forced herself to swallow. “Okay. Just don’t harm the children,” she pleaded, rising slowly to her feet.

“Erin, don’t,” Bobby screamed as he rushed around the table.

Erin turned. A loud explosion caused her to jump. Her ears began to ring.

Jessica screamed.

Erin’s eyes widened at the sight of Bobby falling to the floor, clutching his stomach. She started toward him, but the man beside her grabbed her arm. “You’re coming with us.”

http://www.whimsicalpublications.com/books.html

S.K.Williams
April 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Hi, I've been out all day, but I'm here now. My first time to participate in one of these.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I have a friend who has. No luck on that end. I believe they aren't just affiliated, they are Harlequin--branching out.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hi S.K. It takes awhile to figure out these CTR forum boards. Glad you made it today.

Anne Patrick
April 8th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Okay that makes sense. I'd love to get my foot in the door there. As long as they're more laxed in their guidelines.

I have a friend who has. No luck on that end. I believe they aren't just affiliated, they are Harlequin--branching out.

S.K.Williams
April 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I probably should have registered as Shawna, instead of S.K. Anyhow, it's me, Shawna Williams.

Anne Patrick
April 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hi Shawna! Why don't you tell us about your upcoming release. May, right?

Hi S.K. It takes awhile to figure out these CTR forum boards. Glad you made it today.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Anne, sounds like a good place for shorts. I was just thinking about Harlequin this morning regarding the news they were to start and e-book company. Do you think "Carina" is it?

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Anne. Glad you like it. Yours are always awesome!

Anne Patrick
Yes. And they take shorts and full length. They've done some awesome book covers too!

Anne, sounds like a good place for shorts. I was just thinking about Harlequin this morning regarding the news they were to start and e-book company. Do you think "Carina" is it?

DanielleThorne
Rain is washing a lot of folks out today as we wrap the afternoon up. Since we have a lull as we change shifts, thought I'd post a blurb for my upcoming novel this Summer, 2010:

BY HEART AND COMPASS
Desert Breeze Publishing
July 1st, 2010

When Lacey Whitman buys a restored Victorian home, she never dreams discovering an antique diary will lead her back to sea and into the arms of the dive bum she’d rather forget. Her habit of living in the past comes to a screeching halt as diver Max Bertrand and the diary of his ancestor take Lacey on the quest of a lifetime: To discover and raise the privateer ship, Specter, and bring the treasure and legacy of a true hero home again.

DanielleThorne
oh, lol--I'm sorry! Didn't look closely enough.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Woo-hoo! You've got my cogs to spinning with all kinds of possibilities. If you can get your foot in the door with an e-book at Harlequin, could be easier to get in with a full length, you think.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Dani, I love this! What a terrific idea for a story!

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hi, I've been out all day, but I'm here now. My first time to participate in one of these.

Glad you showed up, Shawna. :)

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'm going to have to sign off for a bit, too. I'll check back in later this afternoon, but I don't know how many of you will still be hanging around by then. Still, I'll pop in to see if anyone's still here!

In the meantime, I'll leave you with an excerpt from my Whitney Award finaling sweet medieval romance, Illuminations of the Heart. Hope you enjoy it!

She sat in a high chair, bent over a tall, slanting desk, rubbing a piece of pumice over what looked like a sheet of parchment. She looked up at the sound of his footstep. Her soft mouth quivered up at the corners in what he recognized as a brave attempt at a smile, an attempt he knew was going to fail. In another moment those lips would droop back into a pout, or worse they would start trembling and tears would well up into those big blue eyes. He would have to sweep her into his arms and cradle her to his heart and whisper over and over again that he would make everything right…

“They have ruined it,” she said. “I have tried and tried to clean it, but the stains are too deep.”

There went her mouth, and the tears— He took a step towards her, but she rubbed them away with a briskness that startled him into stopping again.

“I’m sorry. I know it is foolish to be so mournful over a mere painting. But it was one of Simon’s.”

He moved cautiously closer to the desk, where she had neatly set out several vials of paint and a row of pens and brushes. She looked like a small burst of sunshine herself, draped in a vibrant yellow gown with her shimmering gold hair flowing loose in rich, curling waves down her back. That sorrowful face he knew, but the bright strength springing even through her tears…

Unaccountably disturbed by that subtle foreignness in a countenance he knew as well as he knew his own heart, he looked away from her to the scatter of sheets on the desk. Vellum, not parchment, and a very fine quality, much better than the inferior stuff he used for his scribblings. Some of the stained sheets were blank, but he knew that her tears were for the few that bore her brother’s paintings.

“Simon loved his craft, I recall that well,” he said. “I don’t think I ever saw him without parchment and quill tucked into his belt, and that tiny inkwell he always carried about on a chain. It seemed as if he could not sit still without being about some drawing, detailing the strange plants and creatures we saw on our pilgrimage, or creating some new monstrosity from the vivid realms of his imagination.”

He gestured at the vellum where a winged blue ram charged a green bear with tusks and red, curling antlers like a deer. It was a measure of Simon’s talent, Triston recalled, that he had been able to draw such oddities in fully plausible shapes, if not in convincing colors.

“Yes,” Siri said, “Simon did take especial delight in transposing various animals’ heads with other animals’ bodies and attaching to them the wings of birds. It started when he drew his first bestiary. He wanted to prove to our father that he was ready to be advanced from apprenticeship. Simon worked morning and night, drawing and painting, scarcely pausing to eat, until the project was finished. He said when he slept that night, he dreamed the animals all jumbled up in his head, and the next morning he drew his first staglion—a stag with the head of a lion.”

She laughed, although he heard a small catch in the sound. Triston could not remember the last time he had heard laughter at Vere, even tinged with sadness, as hers was.

He resisted the impulse to look into her face again, but said, “Surely your father did not apprentice you, as well?”

“No, but he allowed me to watch the others and sometimes gave me cast-off scraps of parchment to draw on. One day I sketched my name and decorated the S with three vines and a veritable garden of flowers. Father said it showed talent, so he began instructing me, and then he gave me a brush and taught me to illuminate as well. Sometimes he would even let me help with a patron’s commission, but I was never allowed to sit and draw in the workshop until after he and Mother died.”

“You learned French from your father?” Triston asked.

“Yes. He never learned Italian well. His apprentices had to translate until Simon grew old enough to work in the shop.”

“And you do not know from what part of Poitou he hailed?”

“He never said.”

Triston nodded. “I’m afraid I am unable to restore your brother’s paintings, but I will send to Poitiers for fresh vellum to replace the blank sheets that are spoiled.”

“Thank you. Naturally I will pay for it.”

“Nonsense. Consider it a gift, Lady Siriol, to show how pleased we are to have you with us.”

He stole a glance at her. A mistake. The brilliance of her smile banished the last threat of tears, but it also sent such a shaft through his heart that he turned away quickly and walked over to the window.

*sigh* Love it!

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Here's an exerpt from my latest novel, Lethal Dreams.

Dr. Erin Jacobs is making a name for herself in the sports world. Drawing on her own life experiences, she encourages and inspires athletes to recover one hundred percent from career ending injuries. So why would someone want to hurt the good doctor?

Detective Logan Sinclair is determined to find that answer. He’s been mesmerized by Erin since the night she found him and his partner shot in an alleyway. Since that night their lives have never been the same. He longs to find someone to share his life with and wants to help her secure her dream of someday opening a youth center. Erin doesn’t want to be a cop’s wife though. She’s been there and done that and paid the ultimate price. She doesn’t want to risk that kind of heartache again. Or does she?

Excerpt

This scene takes place in a restaurant. Erin and one of her co-workers are treating her former youth group to some pizza when two masked men enter.

A woman’s scream shattered their joy. Erin glanced over her shoulder and saw two masked men standing near the cash register. Both were armed with handguns. Her heart leaped in her chest.

“Everyone down on the floor…now!”

Erin felt her heart slamming against her chest as she grabbed Jessica and pushed her to the floor. The teenager began to sob. “It’ll be okay, Jess. As long as we do as they say, they won’t hurt us.”

She heard a few of the children begin to pray the Lord’s Prayer. She wondered if God would listen.

“Erin,” Joey whispered, “Bobby said to use your cell phone to call 911.”

She shook her head. “Just be quiet and keep your head down. It’ll be over with soon.” Had she been alone, she may have risked calling the police, but as it was, she had a table full of children to worry about.

“Come on, sweetheart, hurry it up.”

“Anyone with cell phones, you best not be using them.”

She blinked, thankful she had gone with her instinct.

“Grab a hostage.”

Erin looked up. One of the robbers was heading toward their table. Oh no, not one of the children.

He looked directly at her. “You, get up.”

Erin forced herself to swallow. “Okay. Just don’t harm the children,” she pleaded, rising slowly to her feet.

“Erin, don’t,” Bobby screamed as he rushed around the table.

Erin turned. A loud explosion caused her to jump. Her ears began to ring.

Jessica screamed.

Erin’s eyes widened at the sight of Bobby falling to the floor, clutching his stomach. She started toward him, but the man beside her grabbed her arm. “You’re coming with us.”

http://www.whimsicalpublications.com/books.html

Oh, wow, now this is some kinda good! I read this, folks! :)

S.K.Williams
April 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Sure!
No Other is a 20th Century historical, inspirational romance.

The story is set in a fictional coastal town (based on a real one) near Houston, TX during 1947.

I thought this was an interesting time period because the entire nation was trying to recover from the war.

The backstory for my hero is that his family, who are German Americans, have been interned at a camp called Crystal City, which was a real internment camp (interesting historical facts involved her regarding German American internment) As a result of the internment and family tragedy, Jakob is forced to drop out of school at 17 to provide for his younger siblings.

The story picks up three yrs later, when Jakob is 20. His older brother has returned to help with the family, and Jakob is being encouraged to get on with life. But he finds that difficult for three reasons. First, he's really angry over the internment, loss of their home, and their father's stroke. Second, he harbors anger toward himself over personal guilt surrounding their internment. And third, if he wants to get on with his life, he has to finish highschool.

This is awkward, and it becomes even more so when one of his teachers ends up being a former schoolmate.

Meri is the mayor's daughter. Outwardly her family appears very respectable, in contrast to Jakob's family who has been labeled as traitors. And Meri is a dutiful daughter in helping them maintain that appearance. Love in her family is something that is earned on a continual basis. Her father has a shady side and political aspirations. The one thing Meri fears most is ever shaming him.

As Jakob and Meri get to know each other through a school project, she is drawn his caring nature, and by the bond she sees within his family. Jakob begins to sense the expectations Meri lives with and how they affect her, and as his feeling grow he wants to free her from this.

Obviously there is an ethical issue with these two entering into a relationship, and that leads to a not so good situation, which leads to a really bad situation. I don't want to give away anymore than that. The story is full of emotional conflict.

One of the big questions is whether or not a person can really save another person.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Whew! I'm back and all caught up on the posts. You guys posted some great excerpts and blurbs while I was gone! The creativity in this group never ceases to amaze me.

Laurie, my cat isn't sure if he's forgiven me yet, since I was picking him up after neutering, but he sure is glad to be home. LOL :) The dog's just happy she doesn't have to go to the vet for another year.

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I haven't submitted to Carina Press yet (I actually forgot about them until you mentioned them LOL), but I just scanned their guidelines and I have a couple of stories they might be interested in...if I can get them finished and polished to submission quality.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks, Laurie.

DanielleThorne
April 8th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Bye-bye & thanks for all the kind words and information today. I'm going to check out since I've been hanging around all afternoon. I hope you all have a great evening wrapping the chat up.

:thewave:

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Dropping back in. Is anyone here? Darn! I wish I could tell.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Joyce, "Lethal Dreams" sounds like "hair raiser." Pass the Frizz Control serum. LOL

EAWest
April 8th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Dropping back in. Is anyone here? Darn! I wish I could tell.
*waves* I'm here! It is quiet, though, isn't it?

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Finished my late lunch and I'm back. Is anyone else here?

S.K.Williams
April 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Well Anne, I posted about my book, but I don't see where it went. Can we see our own post?

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Joyce, I've been popping in and out. EA just sent me a personal email to say her computer did some kind of crazy crash and she'd lost the link to our chat. I re-sent it to her. Kinda slow here, huh?

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Yep, that it is. Slowwwwww. So, are there any brownies yet? ;)

Joyce, I've been popping in and out. EA just sent me a personal email to say her computer did some kind of crazy crash and she'd lost the link to our chat. I re-sent it to her. Kinda slow here, huh?

S.K.Williams
April 8th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I've been using the quick reply at the bottom. Should I have been using the reply button at the top?

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Nope, Joyce. Ain't seen hide nor hair of Lynn. She musta ate'em all herself. LOL

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hmm. We'll have to think up a suitable punishment for that. ;)

Maybe she's busy chasing down her wee little dog? I hope she comes home soon!

Nope, Joyce. Ain't seen hide nor hair of Lynn. She musta ate'em all herself. LOL

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM
So, any lurkers hanging around who would like to join our chat? Ask us some questions? "What goes on in the brain of a writer?" Oooo, that might be too scary a question to answer. LOL!

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Dropped in briefly. I just updated my signature or whatever they call the nifty little thing to the left. Larry

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Welcome back, Larry! It's pretty quiet in here.

Laurean
April 8th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hi Larry! Joyce and I don't know how to act by ourselves. Glad you dropped in to check on us.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I've been using the quick reply at the bottom. Should I have been using the reply button at the top?

Shawna, your posts are currently moderated. :) When you post a certain amount, then you are automatically taken off moderation. Then you will be able to see your own posts, and they will get posted MUCH faster! :)

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM
It does seem quiet, Joyce. I just finished updating my details. They were grossly outdated on my reading and I put my most popular ebook in as an image if you can call 14 downloads in the past two years popular. I did answer your friend's request. Larry

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Maybe we should kill time by writing a story together, Laurie. Each of us writes one sentence and see what we come up with. What do you think? Larry can join us, if he's still in the chat room. :)

Hi Larry! Joyce and I don't know how to act by ourselves. Glad you dropped in to check on us.

Miss Mae
April 8th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Gang, I've been here off/on since it started, and just got through w/ cleaning up the kitchen. There are other things calling for me to do, so I am closing off for now. :)

It was a GREAT chat day! At one point we had 31 visitors. Why in the world they didn't chat with us, I don't know. (are we that boring? Nah, can't be!)

Y'all continue on, it's been fun! :)

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Oh, you are still here! Great! Who wants to write a story? I have to pop out again in about 45 minutes or so.

It does seem quiet, Joyce. I just finished updating my details. They were grossly outdated on my reading and I put my most popular ebook in as an image if you can call 14 downloads in the past two years popular. I did answer your friend's request. Larry

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Joyce and Laurie I'm still here. Laurie I got a reading on my dilemma about the wedding night scene from Miss Mae off site. Larry

Joyce DiPastena
April 8th, 2010, 06:18 PM
And I love your book cover! And thanks for being my CTR friend. :)

LarryH
April 8th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks JOyce. I've expanded Lab Partners into a novel, almost done, and cast into the present instead of the 1950s. I'm having trouble writing the closing scenes. I had to do internet research on wedding dresses. Jody doesn't like the strapless ones so she picked the simple square design with the chapel train and silk taffeta. Did I get that right? Larry