PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Assignment

cdwithe
April 10th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Here you go, guys! Post your assignments here. Have a great week!

querida
April 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM
1) Peeking from behind the clouds, the sun was a cautious caress on her skin.
2) His fingers found her face and memorized each feature for later contemplation.
3) The wind whipped hair wildly around her shoulders.
4) Empty of sound, the house had a haunted air that unnerved him.
5) The flowers bent in the balmy breeze, a harbinger of bad weather approaching.

He'd had the date on his calendar circled for an eternity, it seemed. Yet now that it was actually time for her to leave, he was shocked at how quickly the weeks had passed. A new job that she'd worked so hard to secure, a new city full of possibilities... how could he not be happy for her? As he stood facing her, he was fairly certain that “happy” did not include this aching in his chest that prevented him from returning her tentative smile. His fingers found her face and memorized each feature for later contemplation. He would need these body memories of her when the truth settled in. She was leaving, and he couldn't stop her.

rachelanna25
April 11th, 2010, 03:55 AM
1. The crazy, climbing kudzu coiled around the abandoned stop sign.
2. Asleep on the beach, Bailey baked in the brilliantly bright sun light.
3. Gabe sniffed the sweet scent of the sun ripened peach.
4. The kite was whipping wildly in the wind.
5. She sank slowly into the silky satin sheets.

Attempting to regain her composure, Jessa inhaled a slow deep breath. She had made the choice months ago to move to New Orleans. Now that she was a Registered Nurse she was ready to give back to the community. In Jessa's opinion, there was no better place to work than in the hurricane ravaged community in the lower ninth ward. Not only was she hoping to help rebuild the lives of these women, but she was also hoping to rebuild her own life.
Finally finding her gumption, she exited her older model Ford Focus and walked toward the front entrance.

Eva Lefoy
April 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM
1. Languid lizards glistened against the rocks, their skin still moist from the brief shower.
2. The walls’ crusty surface gave way to the slightest pressure from her palm, allowing a foray into the fecund, suddenly living substance.
3. Diamonds of light sparkled before her, each a dewy water droplet shining off of emerald green leaves.
4. At a soft crack to his left he crouched with his head cocked, and tightened his grip on the cannon rifle.
5. The shimmering wall at last overtook her, enveloping her in a din of white noise, whispers of a strange language, and whirring machinery sounds.

The walls’ crusty surface gave way to the slightest pressure from her palm, allowing a foray into the fecund, suddenly living substance. She frowned and immediately pulled back. The wall had been warm, moist, more like quicksand than cement. Fragments of it clung to her long tapered fingers. She watched, mesmerized, as the wall, and each tiny piece on her hand began to flex in and out. In and out. It was breathing.

CharmedGirl
April 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
1. His deep, dark voice washed over her, collectively calming her in a way nothing else could.

2. The huge whomping Willow tree whipped wildly, losing some of its leaves from the brash breeze.

3. Justin jacknifed the massive truck he drove, barely missing the rusted rail of the bridge he was passing over.

4. Prue was so sick of being the polite party guest that she stormed out of her own shindig.

5. Gabe raised his hand and slowly stroked her glistening sex, eliciting a merciful moan from her.

God, he was such a tease. Why couldn't he go faster, she thought, as he rained her face with light kisses, then proceeded down the rest of her lithe body. Traipsing first down her neck, over her collarbone, her pert breasts, her flat stomach and then finally where she really wanted him to be. She shivered as his warm lips touched her inner thigh, and clasped his short locks in her hands. But before she could beg for more, Gabe raised his hand and slowly stroked her glistening sex, eliciting a merciful moan from her.

Eva Lefoy
April 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Ah heck. I was hoping you'd use the whomping willow tree! :)

KGMcAb
April 11th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Sorry I've been so silent; vicious week. Forgive me? And I see Cindy has been her usual amazingly efficient self. Advice to writers: find a great collaborator and stick with her!

I've read all your posts and lessons so far, and let me just say: you guys rock! Great imagery, and wonderful word choice. I'm thoroughly impressed.

I wanted to throw a writing prompt at you that I saw recently and have been playing with: write an entire paragraph WITHOUT using adjectives. Yes, it's hard, but I've got faith in you.

best,
Gail (the formerly silent but now officially back and ready to work co-conspirator/co-instructor)

CharmedGirl
April 12th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I'll give writing a paragraph with adjectives a try but I'm sure it'll take me a while because I like adjectives.

KGMcAb
April 12th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I know! Just the thought of leaving out my lovely adjectives is difficult! But trust me; it's an interesting experiment, and it will really make you look hard at your work.

best,
Gail

Greysten
April 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Whew! Just posted last weeks lesson - now on to this weeks lesson...

1. A sensual song stirred within his soul.

2. An unexpected stench rose from the urinal, goading Glenn's gag reflex.

3. The tangy, tart taste of a Granny Smith apple lingered on his tongue.

4. Cool, calloused fingers caressed, claiming ownership over his body.

5. When the radiation receded, the rebels planned their revenge.

6. He displayed an innocent intuitiveness which intrigued the invidious government scientists.

Homework paragraph:

The clunk of boot rubber against the stone floor sent Glenn ducking inside the closest refuge. A lavatory. An unexpected stench rose from the urinal, goading Glenn's gag reflex. In effort to hold back the churning bile, he covered his nose and mouth with his free hand. Outside in the hall, the foot falls methodically tapped passed the doorway, paused, then retreated back. This time, when the silence screamed, it was followed by the dispassionate voice of Obidiah.

"Where are you, buttercup?"

Greysten
April 12th, 2010, 06:25 PM
:err::err: You want me to do what? (*sputter)

I noted the addition of a paragraph with no adjectives....

(Me? Yeah, right - the royal majesty of adjective usage...)

I mean, what more do you guys want? First I have to give up adverbs, now adjectives?

What's next? A lung? A kidney? A left testicle?

(HEAVY SIGH)

Okay..., you win. But I'm warning ya..., it won't be pretty...

(The things I do to learn how to write 'gooder'! *grin...)

Greysten
April 12th, 2010, 09:30 PM
:wideeyed: Okay -- here is my contribution to the no adjective paragraph pool. Note: It was an interesting challenge. Thanks for the exercise!

Now ladies, please be merciful. This old codger likes to be colorful (if not a bit flamboyant at times:whistling:.)

The scenario repeats nightly, after I shut off the television. The air coalesces with electricity. My nostrils prickle with ozone. I shuffle toward the staircase and there he lies. Bereft of clothing and sleeping on my davenport. One hand over his head, the other on his stomach. I watch him breathe. In. Out. I hear him whimper words from a dream. My fingers strain to caress his flesh, perhaps to awaken him with a kiss. Yet, he vanishes before my eyes. Into the darkness. Back to his own world. Leaving me to wonder if I'm insane, for I desire to see him again.

cdwithe
April 13th, 2010, 06:10 AM
LOL I know this is KG's week...and I am to remain wonderfully in the background just observing...but I had to comment on this! =D Greysten, hun...I'll settle for nothing less than your left foot! lol! Seriously, you guys are doing great, and I'm thoroughly amazed...Keep up the good work, and I'll be back next week!!

Love,

Cyn

KGMcAb
April 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Greysten, I am way impressed! It is hard hard HARD to leave out adjectives, I know. But look at all the cool strong verbs you used, and how the images and action came through clearly without 'em. Not that I'm advocating leaving off our lovely adjectives, by any means. But sometimes I think I tend to rely on them too heavily; this just shows us all that they're sometimes dispensible.

Where is everyone published, or want to be published? Inquiring minds want to know....

best,
Gail

Greysten
April 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM
:gunsmilie: <----- this icon has no relevance to this post. I just wanted to use him because he looks so kewl - like the Terminator...

Okay - I'm back from fantasy land...

(You know you have a pathetic love life when an emoticon evokes daydreams of muscle hunks...)

Alas! I am a pre-published author. Inspiration abounds and I 'know' someday, I too, shall wear the badge of 'published author' with as much pride as I wear the colors of the rainbow.

I've wrote all my life. A hobby, if you will. I never had the confidence in myself to go forward until I stumbled across some unexpected support (in the form of three young soap opera actors - whose real dreams were to be a script writer, a musician, and a theater actor, - along with a Broadway dancer, a couple of artists, a model and some unforgettable adventures in NYC from 2007-2009.

In 2008 I decided to get serious about my 'hobby'.

Because I've experienced disappointment and disillusionment with the established 'old-school, cookie-cutter, "you'll read/write what we want you to" mentality main publishing houses seem to place on both their consumers (of which I will always be,) and authors (which I hope to be,) I'm looking at some e-publishers who offer print down the road.

(ah-hum. That is, if they will have this old coot and the colors of life my stories take on.)

I have an 'indie' spirit, and devote my time and money in support to the indie industry (films, art, music.) The delight of discovering life outside the box, the uniqueness of individuality it embraces and the expressions of the human spirit leave me in awe.

Indie (or e-publishing) won't leave me rich or famous, but it doesn't matter. Staying true to my self purpose, writing the prose that best expresses my authors spirit, and experiencing the journey with humility and grace is what I hope to accomplish during this mid-life wake up call.

P.S. --- Thank you, Gail. Your compliment on the anti-adjective paragraph meant much. (May I add - I reverently pray there's never a movement against the adjective as there is the adverb?)

I didn't think the exercise was possible. (call me a fatalist - though I prefer the term, realist.) Yet, as you observed, I was forced to use stronger nouns and verbs. I believe my endeavors were aided by the fact I wrote in first person, as I never write in that POV. I'm definitely comfortable in the Third POV camp.

On humble knee, I bow to your expertise! I'm surprised the paragraph worked as well as it did. I believe the exercise is a keeper - an excellent way to weave in a weekly tune up along with timed writing.

I'm amazed at the amount of wisdom I gain from this forum. Keep it coming!

querida
April 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Okay, guys... that no-adjective challenge kicked my ass. :giggle: Here's my effort, though it feels a bit contrived and "wooden" to me!

----------

She listened to him purr as he described how he wanted to touch her. Though they were currently restricted to sex on the phone because of the distance between them, she remembered the ecstasy of being against him. He aroused her as nothing before she'd experienced. He teased her, worshipped her, erased everything but sensation from her existence when they were together . Sometimes, she thought she would not be able to wait until the miles between them were permanently bridged. She sighed, as much in frustration as in pleasure at the fantasy he continued to spin. Surrendering herself to desire, she joined him in the world of imagination.

Eva Lefoy
April 14th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I like that Debbie. I'm too afraid to try it myself!

querida
April 15th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks much... let's just say I've decided adjectives are my friends and I simply can't banish them again. (But I have learned to be more judicious with them! ) :)