PDA

View Full Version : Which story is the sadder?

Amy Gallow
April 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM
During the Victorian Gold Rush in the late 1800s, a Chinese miner was hanged in Beechworth Goal, convicted of murdering his tent-mate. A bit of a loner, addicted to opium, he could have understood very little of what happened, but for the detective who investigated the case. Chinese born, the Anglicization of his name changing in every source, he became well known in Melbourne and one version of his name appears among the official witnesses of the execution.
A commonplace story, except for the Chinese ideograph the detective put in the margin of his report, which suggests he had grave doubts as to the guilt of the miner.
A Chinese born friend brought this story to my attention a number of years ago and it has dwelt in the back of my mind ever since, waiting for the moment I deem myself a good enough writer to do it justice, for both men fascinate me, the miner and the detective.
One day...

hollie
May 1st, 2010, 06:55 AM
what a fasinating story i love history and keep thinking about studying it.

i think you could do this story justice and you have obviously done a lot of research already. go for it :clap:

Amy Gallow
May 1st, 2010, 08:49 AM
I've read the court records, the contemporary newspaper reports and researched the areas of China that each man came from and have even roughed out a story outline, beginning with the execution. However, the story requires me to enter the minds of each man and I can't do that confidently enough yet.
I am fortunate that the Victoria Police have an excellent historical unit, which allows me to follow the detective's career prior to this case and after the execution. The miner is more of a mystery, barely literate in his own language, he spoke little English and his native dialect was not common so he had no friends listed in the records. In one sense that gives me a clean slate, yet, in another, adds to my difficulties.
As I wrote, one day...

hollie
May 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
i look forward to reading it when you feel it is the right time for this story

Amy Gallow
May 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM
I'll make sure that you get a copy