PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Plants

maura
May 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I am looking for something different to plant this year. Hopefully before I go to raid my brother's greenhouses. He specializes in impatiens, though he has lots of other stuff, and I am so tired of impatiens. Anyone have any ideas? I live in the Northeast, Long Island's East End.

Allisa
May 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I've decided to forego the annuals almost entirely this year and concentrate on perreniels and bulbs - some of my faves (and most are very low maintenance) are: violets and violas, statice, carnations, chives, lavender, fern bleeding heart, columbine. Hostas and peonies are also great - and for bulbs I had great success with daffodils and crocuses.

living in Maine its sometimes tough to find hardy plants that will live thru the winter but all these have worked great for me and also self propogate. :)

Karenne
May 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I planted 150 tulips this year. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment...but they look beaufitul! You should add some of those!

What about pictures? Hmmmm?:detective:

lcsamano
May 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Maybe just a nice herb garden will do. Fresh herbs are nice to have. I am not sure if you are able to put a pot on your window sill but it is a nice decoration as well as herbs to cook with.

Karenne
May 17th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Good point! I love the smell of rosemary and sage! Yummy!:teacher:

lcsamano
May 18th, 2007, 07:14 PM
There are so many varieties that can be planted. I have even had someone tell me that they plants a row of small chive onions. Not sure how true.

maura
June 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I ended up with dianthus/sweet williams. They look really nice and will come back next year

Karenne
June 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Wonderful! I would love to see that.

rgraham666
June 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Bedding plants?

I'm not that kinky. ;)

Karenne
June 15th, 2007, 09:54 PM
snort...:roflmao:

luv2read
June 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I really like the herb idea. You could do a variety of herbs. Oregano, basil, mint and the list is endless.

Linda L Lattimer
June 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Oh Karenne, Bob use to love tulips, our youngest got in the beds one day and thought she would dig the bulbs up, bad bad idea, you should have seen the look on Bob's face

okay I have trouble bending so I took some seeds for tomatoes and put them in a big pot on my front porch, they are growing but should I plant them into the ground???

Linda

LynneRoberts
June 2nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
I am looking for something different to plant this year. Hopefully before I go to raid my brother's greenhouses. He specializes in impatiens, though he has lots of other stuff, and I am so tired of impatiens. Anyone have any ideas? I live in the Northeast, Long Island's East End.

Hi! *waves* I haven't been on the forum often, but I can't resist a gardening question. My EDJ, which isn't that evil, is writing about plants and flowers. I've also been gardening since... well, for a long time. : )So how much sun does your garden get? I'd love to suggestion tons of perennials for your garden.

Lynne

LynneRoberts
June 2nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
I planted 150 tulips this year. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment...but they look beaufitul! You should add some of those!

:detective:

150 tulips? Wow, that would be beautiful! I love tulips but they don't grow in my climate. It doesn't get cold enough, long enough, in the winter.

LynneRoberts
June 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Oh Karenne, Bob use to love tulips, our youngest got in the beds one day and thought she would dig the bulbs up, bad bad idea, you should have seen the look on Bob's face

okay I have trouble bending so I took some seeds for tomatoes and put them in a big pot on my front porch, they are growing but should I plant them into the ground???

Linda

I hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in. : ) As long as your pot is big enough to allow for the tomato plant's roots, you can keep it in the pot. Container gardening is a wonderful way to grow many vegetables.

Deanna Jewel
June 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Planted impatients two weeks ago and its rained almost daily since then. I'll check on them today since the forecast shows no rain for three days and today has a blue sky, so I'm cheering but ....here I sit, in front of the computer. I know there's a ball and chain here somewhere! I need to find the key so I can get outside for some sun!

And that's another thing.....looking like Casper. If I don't get some color soon, I'll scare away those on the beach or they'll send me packing because only those with a tan are allowed! ouch!

Ok, off I go with my snippers to trim some bushes and look after my new impatients. Looking forward to them getting full and filling the space they're in! Bye all - hope your flowers are taking off too!