PDA

View Full Version : May 2010, Chat With Us!

Miss Mae
May 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
We're arriving later for our chat this month -- we'll be here at noon time! So if you have an early morning dentist appointment, or need to run to the grocery store, no problem! You won't have missed anything. We'll see you as 12! :)

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Good day, everybody! Hope everyone is finishing up a great lunch break and ready to join the Sweeties in some book talk. I'm a few minutes early but will be here most of the day until a PTA/PTO meeting calls this evening. If you're visiting, say hello, we love meeting new people, and talking to you is way more fun than talking to ourselves. Although we like ourselves. :)

Looking forward to sharing a bit of news about my cat's recent surgery, (Oh, the horror!), and some teasers about my new July release.

Stay tuned and hang out with us awhile today!

daniellethorne

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Hello, hello, and greetings! :)

So good to see you, Danielle, and what's this about your cat? Oh my, I do want to know about that!

Yes, as Danielle said, we love to converse with any readers/lurkers, so don't be shy. We have lots to let you know about this month, the Sweeties have been busy! :)

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Good morning all Sweeties and lurkers! (Sorry! I forgot it's afternoon for some. LOL)

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Can anyone see me?

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I see you, Laurie, never fear. :) Is your dialup interfering with anything?

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Well, I'll start off with what is, to me, some VERY exciting news!

My book, "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" will SOON be available in print! I received my proof copy TODAY, and it is awesome, if I may say so! :)

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I guess it's always been this way. I either have to post a reply again, or get out of the chat and come back before I can see the next post.

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Let's hear it, Miss Mae! You've set my teeth on edge. Now, spill those beans!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:13 PM
So what's this that's been happening with you, Laurie? You are having a short story to get published THIS MONTH, is that right?

Tell us all about it! :)

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Wow! Don't see a problem with saying it's awesome. Congratulations on a job well done.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks so much, Laurie. Since I designed the book cover, I was quite nervous at how it might turn out, but it's dang near gorgeous!

I'm hoping to get into the site later and to push the little button that says, "sell this book!" (LOL), or whatever it says!

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yes. "Over The Coals" is a short story (15,000 words) about a woman who finds that her initial assessment of the man over the grill, is completely flawed. Lots of humor, but deals with a tough issue.

Rob Canter is hiding a secret. One that keeps him distanced from forming a close relationship.

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Every cover you've designed is beautiful Including...er...."Jonquils in the Snow" if I say so myself.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I'm so glad to hear that! It sounds like the publishing journey for SNE has been a good one.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot MM did the cover for Jonquils. It was truly professional looking.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Yes. "Over The Coals" is a short story (15,000 words) about a woman who finds that her initial assessment of the man over the grill, is completely flawed. Lots of humor, but deals with a tough issue.

Rob Canter is hiding a secret. One that keeps him distanced from forming a close relationship.

Ooh, I like the way this sounds! What do you mean "over the grill"? Does he work at a grill (restaurant), or has she observed him cooking out on his backyard grill?

Tell us more! :)

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hmm. This one sound really cute! Is there grilling involved, of both kinds?

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Oops! Dani, I don't know what SNE stands for. Please elaborate. LOL

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Every cover you've designed is beautiful Including...er...."Jonquils in the Snow" if I say so myself.

That's awfully good of you to say, thanks!:wub:

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Yes, Dani. Both kinds of grilling. It all starts when Jill is invited to a summer cookout. She's new in town. The girl who shares her duplex invites her to a Sunday School cookout.

Jill loves to sit back to observe people. Rob Canter is the host, grilling hamburgers. As Jill watches, a flirty blonde hovers over him. Though Rob ignores the woman, Jill forms a wrong assessment. Rob is a rake...a womanizer.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'm so glad to hear that! It sounds like the publishing journey for SNE has been a good one.

Dani, it has been trial-and-error! LOL And not without its few hiccups either. But I received that proof today, and it's thrilling to hold the FIRST book that I was offered a contract on in my impatient little hands! Love the feeling, LUUVVV it!!!!

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I think "Jonquils in the Snow" is the LOVELIEST cover. Hee-hee.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot MM did the cover for Jonquils. It was truly professional looking.

Thank you so much, Danielle!:wub:

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
SNE: I meant, SEE NO EVIL, Miss Mae's book. Sorry!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Oops! Dani, I don't know what SNE stands for. Please elaborate. LOL

Laurie, that's an abbreviation for my book, "See No Evil" or SNE (leaving off the "My Pretty Lady" part ). :)

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
If you gals and/or guys would like to see my cover for "Jonquils in the Snow," http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Yes, Dani. Both kinds of grilling. It all starts when Jill is invited to a summer cookout. She's new in town. The girl who shares her duplex invites her to a Sunday School cookout.

Jill loves to sit back to observe people. Rob Canter is the host, grilling hamburgers. As Jill watches, a flirty blonde hovers over him. Though Rob ignores the woman, Jill forms a wrong assessment. Rob is a rake...a womanizer.

And this will be released NEXT WEEK, is that right, Laurie?

Laurean
Oh! I thought it was an abbreviation for a publisher. LOL

Miss Mae
Danielle, don't you have some wonderful news to share too? :)

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
And where will your new short be available at, Laurie? Will this one have a cover as well?

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Since we're talking about it, I just have to show the cover! LOL

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Over the Coals is already up at Smashwords. It's the second story in a 5-author anthology. I can't even remember the correct title. They changed it in the last couple days. . I think it's "Summertime Romance Anthology" now. Here's the link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/14519 We originally thought it would be in print tomorrow, but now it could be a week from tomorrow.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
So this will be a print option, not "e" ? Your anthology or a group of authors? Just curious. lol Sorry for all the questions.

LarryH
Dropping in. It's too wet to mow here and I'm way behind. Anyone here besides our own group that you know of? Larry

Sarah M Eden
Good morning everyone!

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
You did a good, job, Miss Mae. I used to love to play with covers years ago but I can't figure out the new programs anymore. They are so confusing!

Laurean
Miss Mae, your cover gives me the creeps! Guess that means it portrays the story well.

DanielleThorne
Hi Sara! It's great to see you.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hi Larry! Still wet up there? Guess I should appreciate the sunshine down further south today. You can always mow tomorrow!

Miss Mae
So this will be a print option, not "e" ? Your anthology or a group of authors? Just curious. lol Sorry for all the questions.

Danielle, right now it's ebook, but will go to print.

Victory Tales Press is put out by Rebecca J. Vickery, along with the cover artist, Laura Shinn.

I've agreed to write a short for their Feb. anthology. I might just post the opening scene a little later. :)

Laurean
Hi Sarah and Larry. Funny. I have neighbors named Sarah and Larry. How you doing today?

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Oh, I answered my own questions by going to your link. Great group of published authors you're with in the anthology. Congrats! Will there be any contests for it?

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I haven't made it for the last few chats because life has been crazy. But, the kids are at school, dinner's in the crockpot, laundry's in the washer... so here I am!

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Hello, everyone! It looks like the chat is off to a great start. Miss Mae, how exciting that See No Evil is going to be in print soon! It's a great story. Oh, and I started reading It's Elementary, My Dear Winifred last night. Another awesome read, and I'm only on chapter 5! :)

Laurie, congratulations on the new short story. It's sounds like a good one. :)

Miss Mae
Good morning everyone!

Hey, Sarah! Great that you're here! Tell us about your wonderful Regencies! :)

DanielleThorne
Yeah, I made the connection when I saw Ms. Vickery's name and the publishing group. Didn't know she had started up a business. Can't wait to see your excerpt.

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
You've already written that story for Victory Tales, Miss Mae. I started mine the third week of April, finished May 6. After edits, it's ready. I love it when you don't have to wait for months and months.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hi EA. Glad to see we have lots of us hooking up today!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Dropping in. It's too wet to mow here and I'm way behind. Anyone here besides our own group that you know of? Larry

Larry, hi! Our own "sweetest" man! Good to have you! :) Tell us what you've been up to. :)

DanielleThorne
Sara, any new books on the horizon? Are you still writing Regency?

Laurean
Sorry, I meant that I started writing it the third week of "March." Took about 6 weeks.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hello, everyone! It looks like the chat is off to a great start. Miss Mae, how exciting that See No Evil is going to be in print soon! It's a great story. Oh, and I started reading It's Elementary, My Dear Winifred last night. Another awesome read, and I'm only on chapter 5! :)

Laurie, congratulations on the new short story. It's sounds like a good one. :)

Hey, EA, so glad to see you, lovely lady! :) So you started Winifred? Must be from the old pub, huh? Ooh, so glad you like it! Do you have any idea of where the story is going? :)

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks, EA. I just saw you were here. Congratulations to you on your latest releases, too.

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hey, Sarah! Great that you're here! Tell us about your wonderful Regencies! :)
I self-published nine Regencies over several years before being picked up by a small-ish press who not only is pleased with sweet romance, but insists on moral fortitude in their published works. (Can I get a Hallelujah?!?!) They released my 10th, "Courting Miss Lancaster" in March.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7toANRiTp_M/S04WauoDTJI/AAAAAAAAA-M/ZoVr7btNhew/s1600-h/CML+Cover.jpg
I don't have any stats yet, but it must be doing really well because they have requested all my previously self-published works as well as insisting I keep writing more. Yippee!!

Miss Mae
I haven't made it for the last few chats because life has been crazy. But, the kids are at school, dinner's in the crockpot, laundry's in the washer... so here I am!

We are CERTAINLY glad you're here today, Sarah! Tell us all about your books, and where they can be found. :)

LarryH
I see lots of new releashes coming out by the group here. I'm ashamed of myself. Netted nothing but rejections since last July which was my last release from Wild Rose. That one has zero downloads. Gasp. That ought to tell me something. Larry

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I self-published nine Regencies over several years before being picked up by a small-ish press who not only is pleased with sweet romance, but insists on moral fortitude in their published works. (Can I get a Hallelujah?!?!) They released my 10th, "Courting Miss Lancaster" in March.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7toANRiTp_M/S04WauoDTJI/AAAAAAAAA-M/ZoVr7btNhew/s1600-h/CML+Cover.jpg
I don't have any stats yet, but it must be doing really well because they have requested all my previously self-published works as well as insisting I keep writing more. Yippee!!

That is absolutely FANTASTIC, Sarah!!! And where is the link for your book (s)?

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I see lots of new releashes coming out by the group here. I'm ashamed of myself. Netted nothing but rejections since last July which was my last release from Wild Rose. That one has zero downloads. Gasp. That ought to tell me something. Larry
It ought to tell you that your genius has yet to be discovered. But it will be. Never fear, it will be!

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
That's great news, Sarah. Larry

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hey, EA, so glad to see you, lovely lady! :) So you started Winifred? Must be from the old pub, huh? Ooh, so glad you like it! Do you have any idea of where the story is going? :)

Yes, it's from the old publisher. It's been languishing on my hard drive for months. Can you tell I'm running WAY behind on my TBR list? LOL :)

I don't know where the story is going yet, but that's half the fun of reading mysteries, isn't it?

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 12:49 PM
That is absolutely FANTASTIC, Sarah!!! And where is the link for your book (s)?

What would we do without Miss Mae keeping us on our toes?!

Links to books are always helpful! http://deseretbook.com/item/5043081/Courting_Miss_Lancaster

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Over The Coals by Laurean Brooks. A summer cookout makes Jill Landers question her initial assessment of the boisterous Rob Canter. Is the cocky womanizer the true Rob, or is this man masking a dark secret? Will Jill be prepared for what she uncovers?

Blurb:

At first glance, Jill Landers pegs the greagarious man at the grill as an egotistical ladies' man. A closer look reveals something different. Why does Rob Canter's personality shift between two polar opposites?

Jill determines to find out.

Rob Canter is hiding something. The boisterous, fun-loving Rob is a cover-up. But clowning around comes easier than facing his past. Why can't he have a bright future with the woman he loves? But...Jill must never know the truth.

Will Jill's attempt to dig beneath the surface expose the gentle Rob, or will Rob continue to run from his past and relinquish his chance for happiness with Jill?

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Thank you Sarah. I'm going through my first draft of my novel based on the characters in my short story, Lab Partners. The story is cast into modern times rather than 1950s as the original short story is. It numbers around 71,000 words. This novel is my first attempt at alternating POV between Jody and Leroy, each chapter being one or the other of them in POV. Larry

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thank you Sarah. I'm going through my first draft of my novel based on the characters in my short story, Lab Partners. The story is cast into modern times rather than 1950s as the original short story is. It numbers around 71,000 words. This novel is my first attempt at alternating POV between Jody and Leroy, each chapter being one or the other of them in POV. Larry
I write alternating POV, as well. It can get tricky, but if you do it right (as I'm sure you will) it's fabulous! The reader gets that much more connected to the characters.
And 70,000+ words is nothing to sneeze at, Larry. Good on ya!

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Forgot to add the link to "Over The Coals" The story is part of a 5-author anthology "Summertime Anthology" at Smashwords. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/14519

And until May 31st, you can get a dollar off using Promo Code NZ66X That brings the price of the 160-page book to $3.99!

Miss Mae

Larry, you might need to consider some self-publishing too. :)

DanielleThorne
Thanks for sharing that bit about your publishing journey, Sarah. Gives us all some hope to keep plugging along.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Re: It's Elementary, Dear Winifred

I'm waiting for the movie. 'Nuff said?

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Larry, sounds like it's coming along quite well. Congratulations on all your hard work.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I'm having a hard time today on this forum. I've always been able to see one page with excerpts of everyone's comments to click on in the chat area, but today all I can see is a list of posts as they come in, in order (regardless of who they reply to), with pages 1,2,3,4,...did I mess something up somewhere in my viewing choices? Weird. I don't even know where this post will go.

danielle

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Sarah, this sounds like a fun read. Bet it's loaded with humor.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Sarah, is Courting Miss Lancaster single POV or both? I just finished first round edits for my July release and there was some issue with me writing a contemporary romance from a single POV. If there would have been more time, it was suggested I should have done multiple. I don't usually write single POV except for Regency--what do you think?

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Um.. yeah. Humor is one of the primary ingredients!!!

Miss Mae
I'm having a hard time today on this forum. I've always been able to see one page with excerpts of everyone's comments to click on in the chat area, but today all I can see is a list of posts as they come in, in order (regardless of who they reply to), with pages 1,2,3,4,...did I mess something up somewhere in my viewing choices? Weird. I don't even know where this post will go.

danielle

I don't understand it, Danielle. Though I did notice that yesterday, and today, my "remember me" when logging in didn't take, and I had to re-do both days. I haven't had to do a manual in months!

Gail Pallotta
Hello Miss Mae, Danielle and Laurean,
I'mpopping in for a few minutes. Danielle, I hope your cat's okay. Ouch, poor kitty.

I wanted to remind everyone to read about Anne's new book, Ties That Bind, at my blog at http://www.gailpallotta.blogspot.com

I don't understand facebook. When I put up Anne's information on facebook, Danielle's cover for Turtle Soup came up. So, if you haven't read Danielle's interview on my blog, scroll down and read it too.

Take a breath: Also, while I'm here don't forget to join me for the Sweet Love Stories on the June Jubilee on June 3rd, right here at Coffee Time Romance. And join Miss Mae on June 1st.

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Sarah, is Courting Miss Lancaster single POV or both? I just finished first round edits for my July release and there was some issue with me writing a contemporary romance from a single POV. If there would have been more time, it was suggested I should have done multiple. I don't usually write single POV except for Regency--what do you think?
I always write my romances from the POV of the hero and heroine--changing at chapter and scene breaks, of course, not in the middle of paragraphs. *shudders*
I've read romances that were both single POV and duo. I think both can work splendidly as long as they are well written and stay true to whichever POV is represented.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I know, Gail. Sometimes when I post links on Facebook, pictures from way back when pop up. It's weird. I just click the "no thumb nail" box if I don't like the picture it "chooses."

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:09 PM
So you wrote your latest novel from both POV's. That's still on my summer reading list. I think because of Jane Austen's influence I wanted to stay single POV when I did my first Regency--but I admit having that duo POV is so much more intriguing. I was curious what traditional Regency authors out there thought abt it. Thanks for sharing.

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I plan to schedule local book signings this summer, (starting next month) as soon as the "Summertime Anthology" comes out in print. It'll be nice to have that one and a few copies of "Journey To Forgiveness." Maybe I could print out a few "Jonquils in the Snow" to add to mix. Hm-mmm.

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Hi, Gail! Good to see you here. I know you are super busy. Take a deep breath.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
In celebration of my receiving my proof of "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" I'm giving a 25% discount off the ebook price! (ebook is available now, print to be coming very, very soon!)

Now, this is a contest! For those wanting the coupon number to be able to collect the discount, this is what you need to do:

Send an email to MissMaeSite AT gmail dot com with the heading of: "Gareth said"

What I need you to do is this: Visit my site (http://www.missmaesite.com) and tell me what Gareth said after, "I'm not......" And how do you find that? Well, SEARCH my site, tell me WHERE you found the answer, and his words.

The first TWO participants who answer correctly I will send over the coupon code. (hey, if I receive 50 correct answers, you never know, I might be convinced to be unbelievably generous!) :)

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Gosh, you know you're getting old when you start talking about your pets! lol...I had so many boys we didn't get a real pet until two years ago.

My cat, Sparky, is doing better today. He had to have surgery two days ago--having never left this house, or been around people or strangers (he's moody and anti-social), he was so freaked out they sent him home a day early. It's like his spirit is broken. He's weak and sad and bumming me out. He is a beautiful black Bombay weighing in at 18 lbs. I got him out of a cardboard box in front of Wal*Mart when he was tiny. I'm really worried because he's chewed a huge chunk of his fur off his stomach. When you pet him his fur comes out in handfuls. At the vet he wouldn't eat, drink, or let anyone come near him without roaring. They said he sounded like a mountain lion.

I don't know if I'll ever be inspired enough to write about pets, but I do know I really care about this personality--my kindred spirit wrapped in fur. I wish I knew what to do for him. I'm afraid to call the vet because they might make me take him back in. Anyone know what to do when they are gnawing on themselves or have a raw patch of skin?

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hello Miss Mae, Danielle and Laurean,
I'mpopping in for a few minutes. Danielle, I hope your cat's okay. Ouch, poor kitty.

I wanted to remind everyone to read about Anne's new book, Ties That Bind, at my blog at http://www.gailpallotta.blogspot.com

I don't understand facebook. When I put up Anne's information on facebook, Danielle's cover for Turtle Soup came up. So, if you haven't read Danielle's interview on my blog, scroll down and read it too.

Take a breath: Also, while I'm here don't forget to join me for the Sweet Love Stories on the June Jubilee on June 3rd, right here at Coffee Time Romance. And join Miss Mae on June 1st.

FaceBook is now totally awful. I've deleted my account, and therefore TSRA account over there too. I'd simply had enough!

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I'm going to try to paste a slice of my original Lab Partners scene.

"You wanted to ask me for help on calculus a few hours ago, didn't you?" Jody stood by his table startling him. How could he miss her approaching him?
"Did I make it that obvious?" Leroy answered, exhilarated by the prospects of her offering to help.
"Really obvious. I'm through studying and have a few minutes if you need help."
"Do I ever."
"Don't take this as something I'm offering to do on a regular basis," Jody said as she sat down next to him. Whew, thought Leroy. For a minute he felt she had lifted that sternness of hers. He wasn't sure he could even handle her helping him one time, but it would be fun trying.
A few minutes became thirty and time seemed to fly. Even though he was distracted by her closeness, she brought him a long way in understanding calculus. She was a natural, making it seem so simple. As she gathered her books to leave, he expressed his gratitude.
"Thanks so much for helping me, Jody. I really appreciated it. You do a lot better job than Doctor Abbot."
"You're welcome." Was that just a hint of a smile she had?

Okay, there you have it. My signature includes the link to Wild Rose where Lab Partners is. This short story is my first one to be accepted online. Larry

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Fun, MM. I'm not going to enter because I always seem to win so many books I feel like a glutton. I hope any lurkers out there get in on this because Miss Mae's books are super fun reads!

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Ah, to get inside the mind of the young. You do it well, Larry.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:20 PM
FaceBook is now totally awful. I've deleted my account, and therefore TSRA account over there too. I'd simply had enough!
I can't do it. I'm a FB addict. But I am very careful of what I post and where. My family/friends page is my lifeline to the real world. :)

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Gosh, you know you're getting old when you start talking about your pets! lol...I had so many boys we didn't get a real pet until two years ago.

My cat, Sparky, is doing better today. He had to have surgery two days ago--having never left this house, or been around people or strangers (he's moody and anti-social), he was so freaked out they sent him home a day early. It's like his spirit is broken. He's weak and sad and bumming me out. He is a beautiful black Bombay weighing in at 18 lbs. I got him out of a cardboard box in front of Wal*Mart when he was tiny. I'm really worried because he's chewed a huge chunk of his fur off his stomach. When you pet him his fur comes out in handfuls. At the vet he wouldn't eat, drink, or let anyone come near him without roaring. They said he sounded like a mountain lion.

I don't know if I'll ever be inspired enough to write about pets, but I do know I really care about this personality--my kindred spirit wrapped in fur. I wish I knew what to do for him. I'm afraid to call the vet because they might make me take him back in. Anyone know what to do when they are gnawing on themselves or have a raw patch of skin?

I'm so sorry, Danielle! I know nothing about cats, but it does sound as though he's stressed. Would putting a cloth covered hot water bag in his bed help? Oh, I wish I could help. I know how troubling it is when our furry critters are hurting!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Did you want to leave excerpts and blurbs? :)

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Sarah, I just snuck over to your website and read the Cockroach account. If any of you haven't read it, you should. I'm still laughing.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Sarah, I just snuck over to your website and read the Cockroach account. If any of you haven't read it, you should. I'm still laughing.

I must do that, later. :)

Laurie, your new story sounds wonderful. Congrats on being accepted into the anthology. I know you can't wait to receive it in the mail! :)

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM
When I first read Larry's story, I thought Jody was so stand offish. But Leroy manages to melt her heart. :)

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM
The vast majority of Regencies written by contemporary authors that I have read are written from both point of views. I prefer writing that way, but I have also read romances from just one POV and they're great. I'd say go with your gut--each story will have a POV approach that works best for it.

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
The sad thing is, it is completely true!

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Dani, I'll pray for Sparky. If only you could get a calming pill down him. Several herbs, Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower, should help soothe his nerves. But you'd have to figure out a way to make him take it. I'm clueless on how to do that.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Okay, this is a rough draft (very rough!) of what I plan to enter into Victory Tales Press Feb. anthology.

Opening:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> The clang of steel striking steel reverberated in Penelope’s ears. Spine pressed against the rough wood of the building’s entrance alcove, she strove to peer past the left shoulder of the man who blocked her view. Illumination from the corner gas lamp cast flickering shadows on the contorted faces of the three men who lunged and parried their swords at her protector. Deftly, he blocked each thrust, moving with an almost effortless speed. The tip of his blade flashed like silver lightning as he appeared to tease the attackers by slashing off the length of one’s beard, slicing coat buttons off another’s jacket and spearing the other’s hat.

“Fight fair, damn ye!” With a hurried exploratory feel of his newly trimmed whiskers, the burly sailor waved his sword and charged.

“Like this?” Blade catching blade, in one expert move, the man relieved the sailor of his sword and sent it flying over his head. Then, with a deliberate swish, he struck the metal at the fellow’s exposed wrist. Blood streamed from the wound and splattered like raindrops to pool in a crimson puddle on the cobble-stoned street.

“’oly ‘ell!” His comrades hesitated, giving a wary glance toward their injured partner. Swiftly, Penelope’s defender planted a booted foot squarely in the middle of one man’s chest, giving him a hard shove at the same time that he effectively shredded the other’s shirt front to nothing more than flimsy ribbons.

Mouths gaping, the three staggered back. Taking advantage of their momentary confusion, the man acted quickly. Seizing Penelope’s wrist, he whirled to his right. The two bolted down the shadowy alleyway, dodging past a couple of frightened cats and jumping nimbly over the prostrate form of a tatter-clothed, snoring vagrant. Penelope struggled in her long skirts to keep pace. Lungs burning from their need of air, she gulped down a fast breath and dared a peek behind. The sailors pursued, the thud of their heavy footfalls echoing in the night air.

A yank on Penelope’s arm directed her to follow around the corner of a tall structure. Panting as she raced beside the man’s lengthening strides, she gasped, “We shan’t lose them!”

White teeth gleamed in the moonlight as a devilish grin was tossed across his shoulder. “Have faith.” He released a sharp whistle, the high note threatening to pierce Penelope’s eardrum. Hoof beats clattered on a nearby street. An instant later, a midnight stallion trotted up before them, and with one fluid movement, the man leaped into the saddle. Before Penelope could utter a word, he leaned down, grasped her about the waist with one strong arm and lifted her bodily off the ground. She barely had time to clench the horse’s mane before the animal sped off in a mad gallop.

With no idea of their intended destination, Penelope tried in vain to make sense of her surroundings. But the darkness of the night, and the zigzagged flight through a labyrinth of streets and alleys served only to confuse her already bewildered mind. She knew nothing to do except to pray she stayed atop the powerfully galloping beast.

The man’s arms tightened around her as he pulled on the reins. Obediently, the horse slowed its wild ride, coming to stop before a length of iron gates that Penelope’s dulled senses vaguely recognized.

She slid to the ground and teetered off balance. Leaning from the saddle, the man clutched her elbow to help steady her. Blue eyes crinkled as they watched her from behind their covering mask.

“All safe now, Miss Penelope.” His husky voice murmured the words almost like a caress.

“Who are you?” She grasped the edge of the cape that swung over his shoulder. “Why did you send for me? What--?”

Before she could ask any more questions, he cut in with, “Until next time, my sweet.”

“No!” A spurt of anger drowned her fear and confusion. “There won’t be a next time!”

His mouth covered hers in a hard, thorough kiss. “You’ll come.” Heels kicking the stallion, the pair disappeared into the night.

And Penelope promptly folded in a dead faint.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>

copyright 2010 Miss Mae

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
My new novel with the Lab Partners characters, Leroy and Jody, cover a six year period of their lives starting in their freshman year in college to their working together at a chemical firm in Pittsburgh. Larry

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Did you want to leave excerpts and blurbs? :)
Oh, yeah. I could do that, couldn't I? LOL Let me go round those up, and I'll be right back.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Great beginning. It sure keeps you reading. Gave me visions of 3 Musketeers and Robin Hood for some reason. I love a good swashbuckling scene with swords blazing!

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Dani, I'll pray for Sparky. If only you could get a calming pill down him. Several herbs, Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower, should help soothe his nerves. But you'd have to figure out a way to make him take it. I'm clueless on how to do that.
Thx Laurie. I have a friend who owns an herb shop. Maybe I'll call her and see what she thinks.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Alert:

The Sweetest Romance Authors will partake of Coffee Time Romance's June Jubilee! We invite everyone to join us as we spend the day here at CTR, and celebrate with lots of goodies! Our scheduled date is Thursday, June 10th. Plan to chat it up with us, folks! :)

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Courting Miss Lancaster

The back cover blurb:

Harry Windover adores blonde, green-eyed Athena Lancaster, but alas, a penniless man like himself has no hope of winning a young noblewoman's hand. To add insult to injury, Athena's brother-in-law and guardian, the Duke of Kielder, has asked Harry to assist Athena in finding the gentleman of her dreams. But the lovesick Harry is cunning as well: as the weeks pass, he introduces Athena to suitors who are horrifically boring, alarmingly attached to their mothers, downright rude, astoundingly self-absorbed, and utterly ridiculous.
Athena can't comprehend why she is having so little success meeting eligible and acceptable gentlemen. Indeed, her circle of admirers couldn't be less admirable--nothing like the loyal, gentle friend she's found in Harry. But how long can Harry's scheme be hidden before it is discovered? And what will Athena do when she uncovers Harry's deception?
Escape into a charming regency world in this delightfully romantic comedy of manners that will entertain you to the very last word.

http://gickr.com/results4/anim_037d3321-7e43- 00b4-85c3-c83a0569b29d.gif

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Great beginning. It sure keeps you reading. Gave me visions of 3 Musketeers and Robin Hood for some reason. I love a good swashbuckling scene with swords blazing!

Thanks, Dani. I sure hope this all comes together like I plan for the story to. LOL

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Wow, Miss Mae what an exciting excerpt. The hero reminds me of the fellow in Prisoner of the Iron Mask and his expert swordsmanship. Larry

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Courting Miss Lancaster

The back cover blurb:

Harry Windover adores blonde, green-eyed Athena Lancaster, but alas, a penniless man like himself has no hope of winning a young noblewoman's hand. To add insult to injury, Athena's brother-in-law and guardian, the Duke of Kielder, has asked Harry to assist Athena in finding the gentleman of her dreams. But the lovesick Harry is cunning as well: as the weeks pass, he introduces Athena to suitors who are horrifically boring, alarmingly attached to their mothers, downright rude, astoundingly self-absorbed, and utterly ridiculous.
Athena can't comprehend why she is having so little success meeting eligible and acceptable gentlemen. Indeed, her circle of admirers couldn't be less admirable--nothing like the loyal, gentle friend she's found in Harry. But how long can Harry's scheme be hidden before it is discovered? And what will Athena do when she uncovers Harry's deception?
Escape into a charming regency world in this delightfully romantic comedy of manners that will entertain you to the very last word.

http://gickr.com/results4/anim_037d3321-7e43-%2000b4-85c3-c83a0569b29d.gif

This sounds so wonderful! Great blurb, and may I mention -- I find your use of adverbs suits it all quite well! :)

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I must do that, later. :)

Laurie, your new story sounds wonderful. Congrats on being accepted into the anthology. I know you can't wait to receive it in the mail! :)
Okay, so I HAD to go over to Sarah's and read the cockroach post. AHHHH!! I hate those things! But I didn't know AZ had FLYING roaches. You can just keep those, sister! The palmetto bugs (translated as GIANT ROACHES) in my garage seasonally give me nightmares enough. DISGUSTING!!

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
It's a great plot idea. I bet the follies are fantastic!

Miss Mae
We are entered for the Sept. 2010 Blogmania! The prize will be $100 worth (or even more!) of fantastic prizes! Physical books, gift certificates, a pin, CD's, extras galore!

Join TSRA for Blogmania!!!

Sarah M Eden
LOL Yes, I have a thing for adverbs. My editor (shout out!!) is absolutely genius at knowing when to cut back on them and when to just let me go at it.

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I'm sure it is. Sounds just like something that would happen to me. Even my family says, "Laurie, you get into some of the craziest predicaments.

To tell you one story: Years ago when both my son and niece were toddlers, my sister, Ruthie and I took them with us to the supermarket. I put my son, Jeremy, in the bottom of the cart, she put her two-year-old Mandy in the top section, and started to push. Mandy started screaming, "No! No! Want Aunt Laurie to push! Jeremy joined in. "We want Mom to push the cart!

Mandy peeled her mother's fingers from the cart. Her mom was miffed. "Well! I know when I'm not wanted!" Ruthie stepped aside and I took the cart.

We'd rolled only a few feet when I stopped the cart, craned my neck to make a smart remark to my sis. "Are you feeling lonely and rejected?"

What I "didn't" know was...a 6 ft. 4 -nch man stood directly behind me. He he had collided with me just as the words came out of my mouth.

My face burned as I tried to explain. No! I was-sn't tal-king to YOU!

Meanwhile, Ruthie had dodged down the next aisle, rollicking with laughter, and leaving me to face the consequences.

Needless to say, every time the family gets together this story comes up. Ruthies tells them, "Laurie's head was against this man's chest and she looked up into his eyes, then said, 'Are you feeling lonely and rejected?'"

Ugh! I'll never live that one down.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I'm sure it is. Sounds just like something that would happen to me. Even my family says, "Laurie, you get into some of the craziest predicaments.

To tell you one story: Years ago when both my son and niece were toddlers, my sister, Ruthie and I took them with us to the supermarket. I put my son, Jeremy, in the bottom of the cart, she put her two-year-old Mandy in the top section, and started to push. Mandy started screaming, "No! No! Want Aunt Laurie to push! Jeremy joined in. "We want Mom to push the cart!

Mandy peeled her mother's fingers from the cart. Her mom was miffed. "Well! I know when I'm not wanted!" Ruthie stepped aside and I took the cart.

We'd rolled only a few feet when I stopped the cart, craned my neck to make a smart remark to my sis. "Are you feeling lonely and rejected?"

What I "didn't" know was...a 6 ft. 4 -nch man stood directly behind me. He he had collided with me just as the words came out of my mouth.

My face burned as I tried to explain. No! I was-sn't tal-king to YOU!

Meanwhile, Ruthie had dodged down the next aisle, rollicking with laughter, and leaving me to face the consequences.

Needless to say, every time the family gets together this story comes up. Ruthies tells them, "Laurie's head was against this man's chest and she looked up into his eyes, then said, 'Are you feeling lonely and rejected?'"

Ugh! I'll never live that one down.
Laurie, I am truly laughing my head off! I mean, it's on the floor! lol

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Here are the blurb and excerpt for my inspirational romance Dreams Do Come True. You can see the lovely cover in The Sweetest Romance Gallery of Book Covers here (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=11304).

Blurb:

Aspiring author Cassie Teague has been rejected…again. As she considers giving up her dream of getting published, a handsome editor walks into her life and makes her wonder if God has more in store for her than just writing.

Acquisitions editor David Jameson wants more than just Cassie’s book. But will office politics destroy his hope for the future?

Excerpt:

Gayle glanced at the envelope in Cassie’s hand and nodded toward the vacant end of the counter. Cassie went to the seat at the very end and laid the envelope in front of her. She needed Gayle’s moral support when she opened this one. The publisher she’d submitted to was the perfect match for her book, and she’d spent nearly a month on the submission package to make sure it was perfect.

Gayle finally finished serving the elderly man and joined Cassie. “Be brave.”

Cassie managed a weak smile and prayed for strength as she picked up the envelope. A moment later, she pulled out her submission package and what appeared to be a form letter. She got as far as “We regret…” before she dropped the stack of papers on the counter and lowered her head to her hands with a moan. “Not again!”

The strip of bells hanging on the door jangled before Gayle could reply. She gave Cassie’s arm a consoling pat, and then went to tend the new customer.

Cassie brushed her long hair from her eyes as she lifted her head and reached for the rejection letter, hoping it contained some clue as to why they didn’t want her novel. Her gaze briefly went to the new customer. His gorgeous movie cowboy appearance caught her attention and made her heart do a two-step. Dark-haired and blue-eyed, he stood at least six foot two and had wide shoulders that tapered down to a trim waist. He’d tucked his white shirt into a pair of jeans that fit oh-so-perfectly on his hips. The sleeves were rolled up to reveal tanned, well-toned forearms. He smiled as he spoke to Gayle, and Cassie decided receiving another rejection letter was almost worth it to see this amazing specimen of a man.
~~

You can purchase a copy of the ebook from the White Rose Publishing website (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/cartage.html?main_page=product_info&cPath=147&products_id=1195).

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Here are the blurb and excerpt for my inspirational romance Dreams Do Come True. You can see the lovely cover in The Sweetest Romance Gallery of Book Covers here (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=11304).

Blurb:

Aspiring author Cassie Teague has been rejected…again. As she considers giving up her dream of getting published, a handsome editor walks into her life and makes her wonder if God has more in store for her than just writing.

Acquisitions editor David Jameson wants more than just Cassie’s book. But will office politics destroy his hope for the future?

Excerpt:

Gayle glanced at the envelope in Cassie’s hand and nodded toward the vacant end of the counter. Cassie went to the seat at the very end and laid the envelope in front of her. She needed Gayle’s moral support when she opened this one. The publisher she’d submitted to was the perfect match for her book, and she’d spent nearly a month on the submission package to make sure it was perfect.

Cassie managed a weak smile and prayed for strength as she picked up the envelope. A moment later, she pulled out her submission package and what appeared to be a form letter. She got as far as “We regret…” before she dropped the stack of papers on the counter and lowered her head to her hands with a moan. “Not again!”

The strip of bells hanging on the door jangled before Gayle could reply. She gave Cassie’s arm a consoling pat, and then went to tend the new customer.

Cassie brushed her long hair from her eyes as she lifted her head and reached for the rejection letter, hoping it contained some clue as to why they didn’t want her novel. Her gaze briefly went to the new customer. His gorgeous movie cowboy appearance caught her attention and made her heart do a two-step. Dark-haired and blue-eyed, he stood at least six foot two and had wide shoulders that tapered down to a trim waist. He’d tucked his white shirt into a pair of jeans that fit oh-so-perfectly on his hips. The sleeves were rolled up to reveal tanned, well-toned forearms. He smiled as he spoke to Gayle, and Cassie decided receiving another rejection letter was almost worth it to see this amazing specimen of a man.
~~

You can purchase a copy of the ebook from the White Rose Publishing website (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/cartage.html?main_page=product_info&cPath=147&products_id=1195).
Wow--seen the blurbs but that's my first read of an excerpt, E.A. What a man you got there! I guess I'd be lining up for rejections, too! :)

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Now for the blurb and excerpt for Light in the Darkness, my mystery with a hint of romance.

Blurb:

Kennedy Drake loves exploring dark places, which makes his job as a graveyard shift security guard ideal. While checking out strange noises in his elderly neighbor’s basement, he discovers a hidden room with a woman trapped inside. Chastity Mooreland has more to fear than her time trapped in darkness. Will Kennedy believe her bizarre tale of a stalker no one thinks is guilty—and will he help free her from a life of despair? Can Chastity look past her suspicion of mankind to accept his offer of friendship?

Excerpt:

Kennedy went back the way he’d come and passed through the last doorway, stopping in amazement. The huge room was lined with cobwebby wooden shelves, some of which held a few dust-covered canning jars. A pair of wooden bins with sloping lids and three old wooden barrels with age-darkened metal rings stood in the middle of the floor. He couldn’t help wondering if the room had held a year’s worth of food in the days of horse-drawn carriages. It looked large enough.

He found a switch on the wall and turned on the lights. Two of the three bulbs hanging from the ceiling flashed bright then went out, and he made a mental note to come back later to change them. Louise likely wouldn’t ever come in her basement again, but it would give her peace of mind to know the lights worked. He set the flashlight on one of the shelves near the door and walked over to the bins and barrels. Empty. He glanced around the room one more time, not seeing anything that would make any kind of noise without human help, and there weren’t any tracks to indicate anyone had been down there in the last six months.

He retrieved his flashlight and reached for the light switch. A tapping sound from the far side of the room stilled his hand. He turned around, but all he saw were empty shelves and a spider busily spinning a web in the corner. The tapping grew more frantic as he slowly approached the shelves.

“Hello? Is somebody there?”

The tapping stopped. “Help me! Please, get me out of here!” a hysterical female voice called, muffled by the wood-backed shelves.

It took Kennedy a moment to recover from the shock of actually getting a reply. “Keep tapping so I can figure out where you are.”

The tapping continued and so did the voice, though it now sounded like the woman was crying. “Please hurry! I have to get out of here! Please...”
~~

The ebook is available from Sea Crest eBooks (http://shop.dianakaypublishing.com/product.sc?productId=16&categoryId=1).

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM
EA--all you have to say was "graveyard shift"...shudder

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I've read EA's story Dreams Do Come True. It is a wonderful story and a dream we all want to come true and for many of you it has. Larry

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Okay, time for one last blurb and excerpt, this time from my latest release (a romantic suspense) Riley's Mission.

Blurb:

Trapped in a flooded hospital, former Israeli operative Jade Rosen discovers she’s not alone. One of the other stranded patients is none other than the cold-blooded killer she'd left behind in a Syrian prison, the man who had forced her to leave everyone she loved behind and go into hiding.

Indiana National Guardsman Riley Jackson is on a mission to locate and contain a cunning terrorist whose guards aren’t responding. He finds more than he bargained for when the woman he loves appears out of nowhere, desperately ill and once again needing his protection.

Will Jade and Riley finally find their happy ending, or will they pay the ultimate price at the hands of a man determined to see Jade dead?

Excerpt:

Raised voices caught her attention and she opened her eyes. One of the voices spoke English, but the other shouted in Arabic. Jade’s heart raced and she trembled at the sound of the Arabic voice.

It couldn’t be him. She’d left him in a Syrian prison.

She climbed out of bed and went to the door. No matter how horrible she felt, she had to know if it was him. She followed the sound of the quieting voices and peered around the corner. In a glass-walled room lay Aziz Khadoul. He was having a heated discussion with a brown-haired man wearing an outfit identical to Gibson’s. The soldier looked almost like...

It couldn’t be. She hadn’t seen him since Kuwait. Jade backed away and leaned against the wall, fighting terror at the sight of the man responsible for her evacuation to the United States in the company of a man she knew well.

She made her way to an empty wheelchair parked a few feet away and dropped into the seat. Lowering her head to her hands, she tried to figure out how Khadoul had ended up in Grant County General Hospital. How had he even made it into the United States?

No matter how he’d gotten here, he couldn’t see her. He’d attempted to kill her before, and she had no doubt he’d try again, no matter how sick he was. Moisture stung her eyes. She’d fought so long and hard to stop him from killing anyone.

“Ma’am, are you all right?”

Jade lifted her head and found Gibson watching her. Before she could respond, she noticed the brown-haired man with him, the same man who had spoken with Khadoul.

She hadn’t been wrong.
~~

Copies of the ebook can be purchased from The Wild Rose Press (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/rileys-mission-p-3961.html).

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Sarah, I haven't seen a cockroach like that either, with wings like that. Ugh! As Danielle said, we have Palmetto bugs in Georgia, and they fly too (really creepy to see a cloud of them at around dusk), but like you have...yeah, I'd cover my hair AND my mouth!

Oh Laurie, what could've been worse, huh? hee hee, but I can just see it now!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:54 PM
EA--all you have to say was "graveyard shift"...shudder

I've loved all of E.A.'s books, but this was special. :)

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hey, everyone, the wind is picking up here and is affecting my electricity. I'm going to duck out for now, and if the power stabilizes, I'll pop back in and see what I missed. Otherwise, I hope everyone has a great chat and I'll see you all around the 'net!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Okay, time for one last blurb and excerpt, this time from my latest release (a romantic suspense) Riley's Mission.

Blurb:

Trapped in a flooded hospital, former Israeli operative Jade Rosen discovers she’s not alone. One of the other stranded patients is none other than the cold-blooded killer she'd left behind in a Syrian prison, the man who had forced her to leave everyone she loved behind and go into hiding.

Indiana National Guardsman Riley Jackson is on a mission to locate and contain a cunning terrorist whose guards aren’t responding. He finds more than he bargained for when the woman he loves appears out of nowhere, desperately ill and once again needing his protection.

Will Jade and Riley finally find their happy ending, or will they pay the ultimate price at the hands of a man determined to see Jade dead?

Excerpt:

Raised voices caught her attention and she opened her eyes. One of the voices spoke English, but the other shouted in Arabic. Jade’s heart raced and she trembled at the sound of the Arabic voice.

She climbed out of bed and went to the door. No matter how horrible she felt, she had to know if it was him. She followed the sound of the quieting voices and peered around the corner. In a glass-walled room lay Aziz Khadoul. He was having a heated discussion with a brown-haired man wearing an outfit identical to Gibson’s. The soldier looked almost like...

It couldn’t be. She hadn’t seen him since Kuwait. Jade backed away and leaned against the wall, fighting terror at the sight of the man responsible for her evacuation to the United States in the company of a man she knew well.

She made her way to an empty wheelchair parked a few feet away and dropped into the seat. Lowering her head to her hands, she tried to figure out how Khadoul had ended up in Grant County General Hospital. How had he even made it into the United States?

No matter how he’d gotten here, he couldn’t see her. He’d attempted to kill her before, and she had no doubt he’d try again, no matter how sick he was. Moisture stung her eyes. She’d fought so long and hard to stop him from killing anyone.

Jade lifted her head and found Gibson watching her. Before she could respond, she noticed the brown-haired man with him, the same man who had spoken with Khadoul.

She hadn’t been wrong.

~~

Copies of the ebook can be purchased from The Wild Rose Press (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/rileys-mission-p-3961.html).

Very intriguing excerpt! :)

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hey, everyone, the wind is picking up here and is affecting my electricity. I'm going to duck out for now, and if the power stabilizes, I'll pop back in and see what I missed. Otherwise, I hope everyone has a great chat and I'll see you all around the 'net!

Thanks for coming, EA! Stay safe!

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Sarah, I haven't seen a cockroach like that either, with wings like that. Ugh! As Danielle said, we have Palmetto bugs in Georgia, and they fly too (really creepy to see a cloud of them at around dusk), but like you have...yeah, I'd cover my hair AND my mouth!

I miss a lot of things about Arizona (we moved a few months ago), but the enormous flying roaches is not one of those things.
Salsa is.
The Cerreta Chocolate Factory definitely is.
But not roaches. Or scorpions. *bleh*

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM

I've never seen our palmetto bugs fly. Oh, Miss Mae. Don't tell me that. Those things scare the #$@% out of me. I'll take snakes, spiders, even mice, but please no roaches!!

LarryH
Okay, here is an excerpt from my last released story Taking Advantage. It is definitely a sweet romance set in 1949 in a small high school.
"Gloria tells me you want to take her on a date," she said.
"Yes, Mrs. Garner, I would like to take Gloria roller skating Saturday evening." Zack swallowed, revealing his fear of the moment.
"I don’t believe you are in sports, are you?" Mrs. Garner asked. Gloria had a look of resignation, but Zack could tell she seemed ready to overcome that as she crossed her arms, waiting for an opening.
"No. I was unable to make any of the teams."
"We want Gloria to date our best athletes. She’s been basketball queen throughout high school, so it’s only fitting that she dates them," her mother said.
"Correction, dear. You want Gloria to date them." That comment earned Mr. Garner a glare from his wife.
"Zack’s our top science student," Gloria said.
"Sports are more visible to everyone, not academics," said her mother.
"Zack is an excellent chess player. No one in this part of the state can beat him," Gloria added.
"Actually, I can’t beat Olga," Zack said, glad that he could say something at last.
"Olga?" Gloria asked.
"She’s the Russian girl who moved to our rival school, Tri-County High, about two years ago. She’s grand master status."
"No matter. Chess is another thing that’s not noticeable, just like academics. I’m sorry, Zack. Gloria is booked up dating our athletes. I’m afraid you won’t be able to date her." The way Gloria’s mother stated it left no room for negotiations.

Don't you feel sorry for Zack? Larry

DanielleThorne
I miss a lot of things about Arizona (we moved a few months ago), but the enormous flying roaches is not one of those things.
Salsa is.
The Cerreta Chocolate Factory definitely is.
But not roaches. Or scorpions. *bleh*
Would love if our SouthWest authors would share some salsa recipes. I collect them! And eat the stuff all summer long!

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Okay, here is an excerpt from my last released story Taking Advantage. It is definitely a sweet romance set in 1949 in a small high school.
"Gloria tells me you want to take her on a date," she said.
"Yes, Mrs. Garner, I would like to take Gloria roller skating Saturday evening." Zack swallowed, revealing his fear of the moment.
"I don’t believe you are in sports, are you?" Mrs. Garner asked. Gloria had a look of resignation, but Zack could tell she seemed ready to overcome that as she crossed her arms, waiting for an opening.
"No. I was unable to make any of the teams."
"We want Gloria to date our best athletes. She’s been basketball queen throughout high school, so it’s only fitting that she dates them," her mother said.
"Correction, dear. You want Gloria to date them." That comment earned Mr. Garner a glare from his wife.
"Zack’s our top science student," Gloria said.
"Sports are more visible to everyone, not academics," said her mother.
"Zack is an excellent chess player. No one in this part of the state can beat him," Gloria added.
"Actually, I can’t beat Olga," Zack said, glad that he could say something at last.
"Olga?" Gloria asked.
"She’s the Russian girl who moved to our rival school, Tri-County High, about two years ago. She’s grand master status."
"No matter. Chess is another thing that’s not noticeable, just like academics. I’m sorry, Zack. Gloria is booked up dating our athletes. I’m afraid you won’t be able to date her." The way Gloria’s mother stated it left no room for negotiations.

Don't you feel sorry for Zack? Larry

Larry, I feel sorry for the heroine. What a mother!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I've never seen our palmetto bugs fly. Oh, Miss Mae. Don't tell me that. Those things scare the #$@% out of me. I'll take snakes, spiders, even mice, but please no roaches!!

Yes, Danielle, those palmetto bugs FLY!!! I couldn't believe it when I first saw it! And then, like I said, when dusk hits and they all go to roost in the trees -- watch out! You want to make sure you are INSIDE the house!

Sarah M Eden
May 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
As if to prove that my declaration of being organized and prepared enough to join the chat today was a little optimistic, I have been called down to my kids' school. Nothing drastic, the littlest one needs a new pair of shoes and a dry pair of socks. Seems she spent recess exploring the puddles on the playground.

Not sure what the rest of the day will hold, but I'll try to drop back in before it's over.

Thanks a bunch everyone!!

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Yes, Danielle, those palmetto bugs FLY!!! I couldn't believe it when I first saw it! And then, like I said, when dusk hits and they all go to roost in the trees -- watch out! You want to make sure you are INSIDE the house!
I thought I was seeing cicadas in the tree out back. Oh my heck!!! We had one get in the car once....I wouldn't drive it until we got it out. The next day, my learning to drive teen had a bottle roll up from the back seat and brush up against his leg. He promptly screeched, let go of the wheel, and we went off the road and blew a tire on the curb. Family story.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM
As if to prove that my declaration of being organized and prepared enough to join the chat today was a little optimistic, I have been called down to my kids' school. Nothing drastic, the littlest one needs a new pair of shoes and a dry pair of socks. Seems she spent recess exploring the puddles on the playground.

Not sure what the rest of the day will hold, but I'll try to drop back in before it's over.

Thanks a bunch everyone!!
Bye Sarah. It was nice chatting with you today.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Danielle, if you have a tale about your cat (or any other pet) that you'd like to share, I'd be happy to feature it in my Monday feature, Doggy Tales, at my blog. :)

Sarah, if you'd like to share about your pet cockroach, we can use that too! LOL

Anyone, if you have, or had, a special animal friend, don't hesitate to send an article and photo. I'd be thrilled to post it at my blog. :)

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Danielle, if you have a tale about your cat (or any other pet) that you'd like to share, I'd be happy to feature it in my Monday feature, Doggy Tales, at my blog. :)

Sarah, if you'd like to share about your pet cockroach, we can use that too! LOL

Anyone, if you have, or had, a special animal friend, don't hesitate to send an article and photo. I'd be thrilled to post it at my blog. :)
Wow, thanks Miss Mae. I'll have to think on that--thank you for offering me a place to share. And I have the sweetest picture of my little black devil.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Bye Sarah. It was nice chatting with you today.

Yes, Sarah, loved it! What fun! :)

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Yes, I've entered the newsletter circuit! :) If anyone is interested in "keeping up" with Miss Mae, send an email to:

MissMaeNews AT rocketmail DOT com with the heading of: "subscribe".

And to include your furry/feathered/finned friend at my blog, send email to same eddy with heading of: "Doggy Tales". Try to include a photo if you have one available. :)

Brian Porter is up this week. He has 14 rescued dogs. Read about him and his wonderful companions here. (http://missmaesite.blogspot.com)

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hi Danielle: Gloria's mother has a change of heart when she realizes Zack is a special guy. Larry

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hi Sweeties!:swinging:

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi Anne. :)

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Looks like I am available for sale right NOW!!! Whoo hoo, can you believe it????

https://www.createspace.com/3446861

Gail Pallotta
May 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hello,

I'm back. Danielle, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has strange things happen on facebook.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Hello, Ms. Anne! Good to see you! :)

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hi Dani and Miss Mae and everyone else.
Hey Miss Mae, are books are on sale at Whimsical too, aren't they?

Gail Pallotta
May 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Miss Mae,
I missed it. What's available for sale right now?

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Looks like I am available for sale right NOW!!! Whoo hoo, can you believe it????

https://www.createspace.com/3446861

Well, I'm not at Amazon yet. Maybe in a couple of days. *sigh*

Gail Pallotta
May 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Anne,
Have you already told everyone about your new book? If not, tell us about it.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Dani and Miss Mae and everyone else.
Hey Miss Mae, are books are on sale at Whimsical too, aren't they?

Yes, they are! For the month of May, all the books available at Whimsical are an extra 15% off!

Gail Pallotta
May 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Miss Mae,
Oh, I see, a couple days isn't long. Which book or books will be on Amazon?

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
There is a dark cloud overhead and my lights are flickering. So, to be on the safe side, I'm shutting down for a few.

Keep chatting, and I'll be back ASAP!

Thanks to all who've come! It's been a great chat day! :)

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 02:29 PM
JONQUILS IN THE SNOW

Miranda Stevens' fiance' skipped town two days before the wedding. Two years later, she is finally ready to move forward. Only one problem...

The tall, blond, honey-eyed man whom she hired to clean up her yard after the ice storm, has a haunted past.

Brady Watson's anger toward the drunk driver who killed his wife, has morphed into grief. He can't let go of her memory.

Will Miranda find a way to pull Brady out of his grief? Does the cluster of jonquils in Miranda's yard hold the key to their future?

Blurb:

He must be freezing! Where were her manners? According to the weatherman, the temps would not rise above 28 degrees. Mr. Brady could use a cup of coffee, or hot cocoa right now.

Miranda flew to the bathroom, brushed her shoulder-length chestnut hair, then applied blush and mascara. Taking a deep breath, she opened the door and stepped out onto the icy porch.

What was she doing? She didn't even know this guy. He could be "Jack the Ripper." Somehow she didn't think so, and she prided herself on being a good judge of character. Her conscience screamed, "Oh yeah, what about Rick?" She told it to shut up, then waited for the Brady guy to heave a huge limb into the back of his truck. She leaned over the porch railing.

"Mr. Bra-dy! Come inside and warm up!"

He nodded and shoved his leather work gloves into a coverall pocket before tramping through the snow. He gripped the handrail to assist in the icy climb, carefully placed a foot on each step until he reached the top. Once there, he leaned against the wall to tug off insulated rubber boots. "I don't want to track up your floor."

He followed her to the kitchen, then pulled off his toboggan. Thick, golden hair caressed his ears and collar. He caught her staring and smiled, but she saw pain in the depths of those-honey-brown eyes. Had he been jilted, too?

Shut up, Miranda. This man coud be married with children. She took a deep breath, waiting while he pulled off his gloves.

Nope, no ring. Now why had she allowed her thoughts to go there? She'd all but forgotten her vow to never let another man inside her heart.

"Coffee or hot cocoa? I make a mean cup of cocoa. My grandmother's secret recipe."

When he smiled, his face glowed. "I'll take the hot cocoa, then. So what' in this recipe?"

"Can't tell," she grinned impishly. "It's a secret. If I told you, then...I'd have to kill you."

He threw his head back and laughed. "Then I'll just let you keep your little secret."

His eyes caught here and held them. An awkard moment followed while Miranda tried to think of something to say to break the ice.

Miranda pulled out a saucepan and reached inside the refrigerator for milk. When she rummaged through a cabinet, Brady quirked an eyebrow. "Should I turn my back? Wouldn't want to see anything that might endanger me."

Miranda giggled, covering her mouth with one hand. She felt like a school girl again. "Might be a good idea."

When he turned his back, she said, "I'lll let you know when you can look." She poured in a dab of water added cocoa, and stirred in milk. The she dashed another ingredient into the fragrant concoction. "Okay. You can safely turn around."

He breathed a mock sigh of relief.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341 Short story $2.99

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Anne,
Have you already told everyone about your new book? If not, tell us about it.

Sure I will, Gail. Glad too.

In Ties That Bind Sheriff Austin Garrett enlists the help of FBI profiler, Jo McDaniels, to help him solve a string of murders plaguing his community. Unlike most profilers Jo has an unusual gift that allows her to get to know the victims better than anyone else. She not only feels their emotions; she feels their pain. But the last time she relied on her physic ability it almost cost her career as well as her sanity. As the case progresses and the body count rises they soon realize that Jo’s sanity isn’t all that is at risk. She has become the killer’s next target.

In Out of the Darkness, ex-FBI Profiler Alex Michaels is forced into hiding by the serial killer who murdered her twin sister and left her with a career ending injury. Meeting up with an ex-pro football player who is also facing an uncertain future, Alex makes Royce McIntire an offer he can’t refuse. Settling into her new life, Alex has no idea the killer is hot on her tracks along with the team of FBI agents who failed to protect her before. When they all catch up to her, not only is her peaceful life shattered, but once again her life is in jeopardy.

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Gail and Laurie, do you ladies have anything in the works?
Loved your excerpt, Laurie.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I can vouch books by Anne Patrick are top notch entertainment. :)

Hope everyone is having a wonderful afternoon. I'm going to take a break for the school bus to roll in but will be back later with some teasers from my July release, BY HEART AND COMPASS. Shipwreck adventure and romance. :)

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I can vouch books by Anne Patrick are top notch entertainment. :)

Hope everyone is having a wonderful afternoon. I'm going to take a break for the school bus to roll in but will be back later with some teasers from my July release, BY HEART AND COMPASS. Shipwreck adventure and romance. :)

Oh cool, can't wait. And thanks for your kind words, Dani!!!

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
My short story "Over the Coals" just came out this week. It's featured in a book titled, "A Summer Collection" anthology published by Victory Tales Press. Four authors and I submitted 15,000 (or less) word stories to form this anthology. The other four are Rita Hestand, Cheryl Pierson, Rebecca Vickery, and Laura Shinn. "A Summer Collection" is available in Kindle at Smashwords and on Amazon. The book should be available in print next weekend. Woo-hoo! Here's the Amazon link. I posted a blurb earlier.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Laurean+Broo

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Alex & Royce meet for the first time -

Royce McIntire pulled up the collar of his leather jacket to shield his face from the spring chill in the air and made his way to the white ten-wheel International. Within a few feet of the cab, he noticed someone lurking around the driver’s side. He moved closer cautiously. “Can I help you?”

As the figure stepped into the light he was taken aback in recognition of the tall brunette from the restaurant. “I’m hoping you might be able to give me a lift.”

He hesitated momentarily. Seldom did he pick up hitchhikers, knowing the risk involved. But judging from her physical stature and the grey pinstriped pantsuit, she seemed harmless enough. “I can take you as far as Alamosa, New Mexico,” he offered, thankful for the company.

“Sounds good to me.” She slipped a large shoulder bag over her left shoulder and then attempted to pick up a matching suitcase with her left hand.

He stepped forward. “Let me get that for you.”

“Thank you.”

He followed her around to the passenger side of the cab and unlocked the door. After tossing her bags behind the seat, he offered her a hand into the cab. The scent of expensive perfume lingered in the air as he closed the door, walked around to the driver’s side and climbed into the cab.

He reached over offering his hand. “My name’s Royce McIntire.”

She leaned forward as if to shake with her right hand then recoiled awkwardly, offering her left hand instead. “Alex…Alex Stanton.”

“Short for Alexandria?”

“I prefer Alex.”

“Your car break down?” he asked once they were on the interstate.

“Something like that.”

Sensing she wasn’t in a talkative mood, he turned on the radio. Country music filled the cab. “You’re welcome to take a nap. I’ll be stopping for coffee in a few hours, I’ll wake you.”

“I’m not tired.” She reached toward the radio. “Mind if I change the station?”

“Go for it.”

She scanned the stations for several seconds before settling on classic rock-n-roll. He glanced over to find her staring out the passenger side window. “So you’re a rock-in-roll fan? Who are some of your favorites?”

“Mostly artists from the seventies—you know, like Springsteen.”

“Springsteen?”

She turned toward him. “You’re kidding, right?”

He chuckled. “Yeah. I’m not that old.”

His response won him a beautiful smile. “How long have you been in the moving business?” she asked.

“I’ve been doing it full time about three years now.” He reached above his sun visor, retrieved a business card and handed it to her. “It was my dad’s business 'til he passed away a few years back. I own it now. We run three trucks a day, usually.” He flipped on the overhead light and she glanced at it before attempting to hand it back. “Keep it.”

Without a reply, she slipped it into the left pocket of her blazer. His eyes lingered on her briefly before he turned off the light. She was a nice looking woman. Beautiful even. Only a few inches shorter than himself, with light brown, almost blonde, hair and turned-up nose, his eyes weren’t the only ones that had watched her in the restaurant.

He wondered about her story. She’d been sitting alone in a booth, and the way she’d been casing out the parking lot and people inside, you’d have thought she was planning on robbing the place. In the hour he was there, not once had she taken a bite of food, and with as much coffee as she drank, he would have guessed she’d be chattering like a canary right now. Instead, she sat quietly staring out into the darkness. Was she on the lam, or running away from personal problems?

“Where are you from?” he finally queried.

“The East Coast,” she answered as she continued to stare out the window.

“Do you have a destination?”

“California. Friends out there are expecting me.”

“Hope you phoned them and told them you’ve been delayed.”

She met his gaze. “They know. I gave them your tag number just in case.”

“Smart gal.”

“Not too smart or I wouldn’t be hitchhiking.”

“Well, I promise I’m harmless.”

“I had a hunch you were.”

“Really. And why is that?” he challenged.

“I don’t know. You just don’t look like a serial rapist or murderer.”

“What do they usually look like?”

“Judging from the newspapers and TV, younger and not as good looking.”

“Thank you…I think.”

“Don’t let it go to your head. I’m only along for the ride.”

Not only was she a good judge of character, she had a sense of humor. “You said you have friends in California. Where ‘bouts?”

“L.A.”

“Really. I grew up there.”

“L.A.’s a big city. I doubt you’d know them.”

Her evasiveness was intriguing. “You’re not in trouble with the law, are you?”

“If I were, would you turn me in?”

Great, just what I need, to get pulled over with a felon on the run. It was too late to turn back now. “Like you said, you’re just along for the ride. As long as you’re not planning to highjack my truck, it’s no concern of mine.”

“Good. We done chit-chatting?”

“I reckon we are.”

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Congratulations, Laurie! Is it hard for you to write short stories? I've never written on and I'm supposed to write one for the Christmas anthology. :parachute:

My short story "Over the Coals" just came out this week. It's featured in a book titled, "A Summer Collection" anthology published by Victory Tales Press. Four authors and I submitted 15,000 (or less) word stories to form this anthology. The other four are Rita Hestand, Cheryl Pierson, Rebecca Vickery, and Laura Shinn. "A Summer Collection" is available in Kindle at Smashwords and on Amazon. The book should be available in print next weekend. Woo-hoo! Here's the Amazon link. I posted a blurb earlier.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Laurean+Broo

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Wow, Anne! This is ver-ry mysterious. Love your characters. They are strong, sassy, and have that air of mystery.

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 03:27 PM
No, Anne. I didn't have a problem with it. "Over the Coals" is my second. I do think I do better if it's at least 15,000 words. But, I started out writing short stories about my childhood. Only two were published in a local "Hometown Magazine," but still those stories fueled my desire to write my full length, "Journey To Forgiveness."

And like you, I wasn't sure how to keep it short. If you focus mainly on your two main characters, it's easier. I did add a cookout with several people in a volley ball game. Besides that, I stuck mainly to my hero and heroine.

With suspense, it could be a little more difficult. You will have so much going at once. The clues, innuendos. I can see how that would be harder to keep short. But, you can do this.

Remember the "Ellery Queen" mysteries. They were short.

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
If any out there are interested let me know. I am thinking of posting short portions of a science fiction story I've written, a short one and put it on my blog like Anne is doing with her story. Sadly, this story was rejected by an online magazine. Also, this story was workshopped to death last year at Antioch in Yellow Springs, Ohio. I'll give you the short version if there is an interest. Let me give you the beginning and see if it is something you would want to go to the trouble of going to my blog periodically to read.
This is a mini sequel to my science fiction novel The Higher Mission.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Unscheduled Stroll on Triton<o:p></o:p>

by<o:p></o:p>

Larry Hammersley<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Joe Cramer fell toward the snowy surface of Triton, a little over a kilometer below him. He weighed thirteen and a half pounds here on Neptune’s largest moon, so the seventy-five second fall wouldn’t kill him. Mona Watson, his mining partner whom he had hoped to marry soon, wouldn’t be able to rescue him from the base of the butte they’d been mining. Their mining cruiser only carried their equipment and a rover, no space taxi. By the time she lifted off with the cruiser and landed it near the cliff base they’d been mining she’d only find his frozen corpse.<o:p></o:p>
Okay, that is the first paragraph. I do make an effort to hold to current scientific knowledge of our solar system. Larry

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Someone told me to think synopsis. Well I don't write a synopsis until I've written the story so that wasn't much help.:dunno: Good idea about the "Ellery Queen" mysteries. I'll have to look around and see if I can find some to see how they're laid out ect. Hummm. Never thought of that. Thanks!!!

No, Anne. I didn't have a problem with it. "Over the Coals" is my second. I do think I do better if it's at least 15,000 words. But, I started out writing short stories about my childhood. Only two were published in a local "Hometown Magazine," but still those stories fueled my desire to write my full length, "Journey To Forgiveness."

And like you, I wasn't sure how to keep it short. If you focus mainly on your two main characters, it's easier. I did add a cookout with several people in a volley ball game. Besides that, I stuck mainly to my hero and heroine.

With suspense, it could be a little more difficult. You will have so much going at once. The clues, innuendos. I can see how that would be harder to keep short. But, you can do this.

Remember the "Ellery Queen" mysteries. They were short.

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Sounds intriguing Larry! I'd read it.

If any out there are interested let me know. I am thinking of posting short portions of a science fiction story I've written, a short one and put it on my blog like Anne is doing with her story. Sadly, this story was rejected by an online magazine. Also, this story was workshopped to death last year at Antioch in Yellow Springs, Ohio. I'll give you the short version if there is an interest. Let me give you the beginning and see if it is something you would want to go to the trouble of going to my blog periodically to read.
This is a mini sequel to my science fiction novel The Higher Mission.<O:p></O:p>

Unscheduled Stroll on Triton<O:p></O:p>

by<O:p></O:p>

Larry Hammersley<O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>
Joe Cramer fell toward the snowy surface of Triton, a little over a kilometer below him. He weighed thirteen and a half pounds here on Neptune’s largest moon, so the seventy-five second fall wouldn’t kill him. Mona Watson, his mining partner whom he had hoped to marry soon, wouldn’t be able to rescue him from the base of the butte they’d been mining. Their mining cruiser only carried their equipment and a rover, no space taxi. By the time she lifted off with the cruiser and landed it near the cliff base they’d been mining she’d only find his frozen corpse.<O:p></O:p>
Okay, that is the first paragraph. I do make an effort to hold to current scientific knowledge of our solar system. Larry

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I'm posting teaser lines and a blurb to "Over The Coals." Then I need to get off here. Our revival is in progress this week. Got to cook, shower, and get dressed. I'll check back later tonight.

Over The Coals by Laurean Brooks.

A summer cookout makes Jill Landers question her initial assessment of the boisterous Rob Canter. Is the cocky womanizer the true Rob, or is this man masking a darke secret? Will Jill be prepared for what she discovers?

Blurb:

At first glance, Jill Landers pegs the gregarious man at the grill as an egotist...a ladies' man. A closer look reveals something else. Why does Rob Canter's personality shift between two polar opposites? Jill determines to find out.

Rob is hiding something. The boisterous, fun-loving Rob is a cover-up. But clowning around comes easier than facing his past. Why can't he have a bright future with the woman he's mad about. But Jill must never know the truth.

Will Jill's attempt to unearth the true Rob, the gentle man who stole her heart, uncover a secret better left buried? Or will Rob continue to run from his past and relinquish his chance for happiness with Jill?

Over The Coals is one story of five in A Summer Collection published by Victory Tales Press, released this week! It is available on Smashwords as an e-book and will is up at CreateSpace to be released in print next weekend. Smashwords link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/14519 Using Promo Code NZ66X you can dowload the entire book for only $3.99! Wow!

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Anne: Your excerpt sounds very interesting. I like the first meeting of characters and yours tweeked my interest. Thanks for an interest in my SF story. The full novel is something I'm still trying to pedal to someone. Cramer and Mona get off to a rocky start. Larry

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Larry, I'd be interested in reading your story on your site. Now...to post one last excerpt before I head to the kitchen.

Over The Coals----Excerpt

Saturday dawned hot and sunny, but Jill could not shake a foreboding. she called Kim to cancel out on the lake trip. "I'm just not in the mood."

"Worried about Rob?" Kim asked.

Jill was amazed at her friend's insight. "Yes. I thought I'd pay him a surprise visit. He's avoided me like the plague, and I'd like to know why."

The peaches were ripe for picking. Rob dressed in a tank top and khaki shorts before he entered the storage builiding to find a stack of half-bushel baskets and a ladder.

The sweet aroma wafted up his nostrils as he positioned the ladder beneath a limb weighed down by the delectable fruit. He reached up and grabbed a peach, bit into it. The sweet juice ran down his chin. "Mm-mm. Best crop yet."

Rob wiped his chin, finished the peach, then climbe to ladder. With a basket balanced on the top and his head and chest concealed by the thick foliage, he started pulling peaches. When the fourth basket was full, a voice rang out below.

"Rob?" Is that you up there? All I can see are khaki shorts, tanned legs, and leather sandals."

Jill! He jerked. The ladder wobbled and he grabbed onto a limb for support. How am I suppose to get down without her seeing...?

"Hi, Jill. I had no idea anyone was around. how long have you been down there?"

She shaded her eyes and peered up through the branches. "Just got here. Take it easy. Don't fall. I didn't meant to scare you. Can I help? Do you have another ladder?"

"No, this is the only one." How can I get rid of her for a couple minutes? "You want to help? Take those filled baskets inside and put them on the kitchen island." Perfect. That should give him time.

As soon as Rob heard the back door slam, he hopped off the ladder and dashed around to the front of the house. While she was in the kitchen, he could slip through the door, up the stairs, and change into a shirt with sleeves.

Careful not to make a sound, he tugged at the latch, pulled open the storm door. Clang! Holy Cow! Why did I rig that blasted wind chime above the door? Somehow it didn't seem so important to have a personalized alarm system anymore.

He dashed inside, placed a foot on the bottom step, and Jill appeared four feet away. "I heard chimes and came through to see what--"

Rob's back was toward her. He gripped the banister for support, praying she hadn't seen. But one look at her face told him it was all over.

She stared at him with something akin to horror. "Oh, Rob!"

Rob felt the world crumble at his feet. Jill knew. The farce was over. A bittersweet relief washed through him. He didn't have to hide anymore. But Jill's expression cut him to the quick. His voice was icy. "Now you know the rest of the story."

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I forgot to add the links. Over The Coals by Laurean Brooks is one of five stories by five authors, in A Summertime Collection anthology. You can find it on Smashwords. Use this Promo Code and get $1 off until May 31. Code: NZ66X. Link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/14519.

A Summertime Collection will be available in print by next weekend on "CreateSpace." Keep watching. Also available in Kindle at Amazon.com.

Now, I must go prepare supper. I'll check back in later tonight.

DanielleThorne
May 13th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Join me this summer, July 1st, for my latest release, BY HEART AND COMPASS, available from Desert Breeze Publishing. This contemporary romance will take you from the restored Victorian homes of Newton, Georgia, where secret diaries are hidden away in the most unlikely of places, to the waters off of Antigua. Follow Lacey Whitman as she blossoms from bookworm to hearty adventurer, hot on the trail of the shipwreck, SPECTER, the lost privateer ship of her favorite Caribbean pirate. But Lacey doesn't have just a dead pirate to deal with. His living descendant, Max Bertrand, could give his ancestor a run for his money.

:boat:

Stay Tuned!

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'm back:walking1:.
You've got my interest, Dani. This is a contemporay, right?

Join me this summer, July 1st, for my latest release, BY HEART AND COMPASS, available from Desert Breeze Publishing. This contemporary romance will take you from the restored Victorian homes of Newton, Georgia, where secret diaries are hidden away in the most unlikely of places, to the waters off of Antigua. Follow Lacey Whitman as she blossoms from bookworm to hearty adventurer, hot on the trail of the shipwreck, SPECTER, the lost privateer ship of her favorite Caribbean pirate. But Lacey doesn't have just a dead pirate to deal with. His living descendant, Max Bertrand, could give his ancestor a run for his money.

:boat:

Stay Tuned!

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Another great excerpt, Laurie!!!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Loving the excerpts, everyone! They are G-R-R-EAT!!!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
This little short story won 2nd place in the 2009 P&E Readers Poll for Short Story Romance. Watch the incredible video and read the blurb here. (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4934)

What do you think? Must Christopher choose between his love for the church, or for the woman of his heart?

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 05:54 PM
This isn't your typical Young Adult story. Set in the later years of the 1960's, Darlene Moore discovers there's more to worry about than when she might go on her first date!

Winner of the 2009 P&E Readers Poll in the YA category!

Video and blurb here. (http://whimsicalpublications.com/miss_mae/When_The_Bough_Breaks.html) Remember, for the whole month of May, this is an extra 15% off, but offer only good through the publisher's web site (http://whimsicalpublications.com/index.html). :)

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Laurie: Your excerpt has me wondering what is on this guy's back. Hey, thanks for wanting to see my short SF story. Anne expressed an interest too. i'll post fairly short portions so it won't take you scads of time to read it. Larry

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:05 PM
An unusual kind of romantic suspense!

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Mona Murphy returns to Copper Springs to attend her grandfather’s memorial service. His passing appeared ordinary enough—the official report stated he’d tripped and fallen down the staircase. Yet Preston Hitchcock, the insurance agent who’d sold a half million dollar policy to Mona’s grandfather days before the old man died, isn’t convinced, especially when bloody towels are discovered in the backyard.
And that’s only the beginning. Who is the hit-and-run driver who attempts to run Mona down? Why is her old boyfriend more ardent for her affections now than ever before? And why is Mona helpless to guard her heart from the devastating influence of Preston’s practiced lady-killer smiles?
Secrets Mona never knew existed in Copper Springs become exposed. But none is so revealing as the one she fights to hide—and the very one that might save her life.

Watch the "live action" video at my site! (http://www.missmaesite.com/saidspidertothefly.htm) (Available in both digital and print from TWRP) (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/said-the-spider-to-the-fly-p-1138.html?zenid=760d3ad3d20a16950008d061081d6a9f).

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Yay! I made it!

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I sure do love your banner, Miss Mae. Your books sound awesome too!:rockon:

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Shawna! Glad you could make it.

Michele has been trying to get in but hasn't been able to make it. She said it keeps kicking her out.

Yay! I made it!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM
This little mystery is loads of fun, and filled with booby traps, secret panels, and questions that make you go, "What the devil is going on????"

Winner of the Top Ten Reads of 2009 at MyShelf.com, and the fantastic video won second place at YouGottaReadVideos. This is slated for a late summer release!

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Winifred Merryweather loves mysteries. She believes her sleuthing abilities, while maybe not on par with London’s most brilliant detective, are nonetheless extremely capable. After all, when she meets with the members of her reading club at Lord Nelson Chatham’s estate, isn’t she the first to deduce the identity of the villain in the books they discuss?
But when the whole of her reading club, along with newspaper reporter Remington Hawthorne, is kidnapped and thrust into a mystery not of their choosing, Winifred must use every skill she possesses to uncover the clues. What is the truth behind the nightmarish scenario they find themselves in? Who is their abductor? Are the tricks and riddles which confront them merely a test of their initiative – or something more sinister?
And why do Remington’s flirtatious charms annoy her so maddeningly?
The answers don’t come easily and Winifred soon learns that solving a real-life mystery is anything but “elementary”.

Take a peek here. (http://whimsicalpublications.com/miss_mae/Its_Elementary_My_Dear_Winifred.html) :)

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Okay, Zoe is insisting I take her for a walk. :walking1: I'll be back.

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Here is an excerpt from Motorcycle Woman available from Red Rose Publishing, click on my signature line.

Tess accelerated into the lead, making sure she did not leave Johnnie behind. She jerked her head around for a second, seeing Butch gaining on them fast. She glanced at her speedometer. At ninety, the hand gyrated, the vibration destroying its accuracy. She knew the specs for Johnnie‟s Electra Glide quoted ninety-eight as maximum speed. If they found a crooked road, their odds for beating Butch soared, since he lacked the riding skills. If Johnnie‟s curvy road riding matched his mechanical skills, Tess shuddered to think how soon Butch would succeed in killing them. She thought about the .45 Butch carried. Butch‟s first target? Well, whomever he caught first. Tess humiliated Butch in front of the gang, and the Bad Bikers kicked him out because of his abuse of her. That earned a special .45 slug with her name on it. By association, Johnnie earned a slug too.
This story has had very few downloads. It has had mixed reviews and reader comments so anybody who wants to spring for it can certainly judge for themselves. The story went through one site's hands before being accepted by Red Rose. In the dedication page I lauded the editor at the first site that was very patient with me and the two editors at Red Rose who accepted it. Larry

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Yay! I made it!

Sure looks like you did, Shawna! Start talking about "No Other"! :)

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I sure do love your banner, Miss Mae. Your books sound awesome too!:rockon:

Aww, thanks, Anne. Much appreciated! :)

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM
It has been a hectic day, but I'm here. How is everyone?

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I think that's pretty awesome to write about a motorcycle gang, Larry. I couldn't do it, and know what in the world I was talking about! LOL

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Sure looks like you did, Shawna! Start talking about "No Other"! :)

But see, the minute I get asked that my mind goes blank. Could be lack of sleep too.

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
It has been a hectic day, but I'm here. How is everyone?

I'm doing good, Shawna. Hot and humid, but still kicking. :)

LarryH
May 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Actually, Miss Mae, I had twelve pages about the gang and I was told to ditch them because Tess and Johnnie didn't get together fast enough with it in there. Larry

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Don't forget! I'm holding a contest today!

I'll award the first two contestants who can tell me what my hero, Gareth, of "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" says after, "I'm not..."

Where do you find the answer? At my site! (http://www.missmaesite.com) You must tell me the completion of the above sentence and where you found the answer!

Send it to: MissMaeSite AT gmail DOT com with the heading of: Gareth Said

The prize will be a coupon for 25% off on this very ebook! :)

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Actually, Miss Mae, I had twelve pages about the gang and I was told to ditch them because Tess and Johnnie didn't get together fast enough with it in there. Larry

Don't ya hate when they tell you that? LOL

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have to share this. My niece, who is 18, bought my book. She wrote on my fb wall that she really liked it, so that was great. But, about four days later, I'm scrolling through and I see her status.
"Because everyone needs somebody they can talk to, even if they choose to keep quiet."
And I thought, Hmm...familiar. Duh, it's from my book! End of chapter six. I just loved that she grabbed a line to post as her status! That was a big 'pick-me-up.'

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM
You guys, I will be back in about half an hour. I have a few minutes before I need to start dinner, and I'm seriously about to drop. Since I need to stay up to write tonight I'm going to try and sneak in a 20 minute snooze. Otherwise I'll never make it and I have a deadline closing. Could use some prayers on that by the way. I have deadlines approaching for two books. Wonderful stuff, I just know the next couple of months are going to be kind of stressful. Thanks!

Miss Mae
May 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I have to share this. My niece, who is 18, bought my book. She wrote on my fb wall that she really liked it, so that was great. But, about four days later, I'm scrolling through and I see her status.
"Because everyone needs somebody they can talk to, even if they choose to keep quiet."
And I thought, Hmm...familiar. Duh, it's from my book! End of chapter six. I just loved that she grabbed a line to post as her status! That was a big 'pick-me-up.'

Yes, that is so cool, Shawna. :)

My niece wrote on her fb history (whatever, personal info) about her favorite writers, and she said, "My aunt, Miss Mae. Her books are awesome!"

What a compliment! :)

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Jo & Austin first meet -

After the hour and half layover in Chicago, an hour spent soaking up the heat in front of the airport terminal waiting to be picked up, and another half hour spent arguing over her reservation at the Motel 6, Jo’s patience was running thin as she stood staring up at the two story red brick building. Identified by an oval sign out front, as the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office, it brought back many memories.
<O:p

She sneered over her shoulder at the four-door green Caprice parked in a No Parking Zone. Hopefully, an over eager deputy would have it towed off while she was inside. If she was really lucky a meteor would come crashing to earth landing in the middle of town square and she may be able to get her deposit back. Figuring the unlikelihood of either event, she gave a heavy sigh and entered the double glass doors of the Sheriff’s office.

A deputy in his mid-thirties greeted her with a smile. “Can I help you, Ma’am?” he asked eagerly as his hand slid through hair the color of dark chocolate.

Jo met his brown eyes as she flashed her credentials. “Special Agent Joanna McDaniels with the FBI. Sheriff Garrett is expecting me.”

His smile faded when he saw her badge. “Mind if I have a closer look at that. We’ve got a lot of reporters running around here and they’ll stoop to just about anything to get a story.”

She obliged his request, as two younger deputies looked on curiously from their desks. With a quick look around the large office, Jo noticed some changes had been made since the last time she’d stood in the reception area. Instead of the lone computer her father had to practically beg for when he was sheriff, there was one on all six desks now, and the walls that used to be smoke-stained yellow, were now a stark white. She didn’t recognize any of the faces and wondered if her father’s favorite deputies, Walt and Slim, were still around.

It was hard to believe it’d been ten years since she was last in Claremont. It seemed like only yesterday, the memories were still that vivid. It was in the very spot she stood now that she last saw her father. To this day she’d never forgotten the look on his face when she’d told him she was leaving Oregon to pursue a career with the bureau. It was the look of both pain and disappointment. She’d often fantasized a reunion where he’d tell her how proud he was of her accomplishments. His death two years ago put an end to that notion.

“I suppose you’re here to save us from the big bad monster?”

She pushed past the painful memories and turned back to the deputy who held her badge in his hand. She sensed an obvious resentment and figured he and the other deputies, still looking on, were afraid she was there to take over their investigation. “I’m here because I was asked to come. Hopefully I can be of some assistance in figuring out who killed these women.”

“Yeah right. I’m sure you’ll be a lot of help.”

His sarcasm, added to the fact she didn’t want to be there, sparked immediate anger. “Tell me something deputy, have you ever had your butt kicked by a girl?”

“That won’t be necessary,” a deep masculine voice spoke at her back just as the deputy’s face turned beet red.

Jo quickly recognized the voice as that of the sheriff she’d talked to yesterday. Perfect. She turned, pleasantly surprised to find he was nothing like she’d pictured him. “Sheriff Garrett.”

With a frown, he brushed past her to retrieve her badge from the deputy. After a brief glance, he handed it back to her, along with his outstretched hand. “Everyone calls me Austin.”

A good four inches taller than her own 5’8” frame, she met his baby blues that went perfectly with his sandy blond hair and shook his hand. “Special Agent McDaniels. I was told I’d be met at the airport in Portland.”

“Sorry about that,” the sheriff said. “I was held up and there was some miscommunication as to what time your plane would arrive.”

“You had my cell phone number. A call would have been nice.” Maybe then she wouldn’t have wasted an hour or gotten stuck with the worst rental car she’d ever had.

“Sorry Ma’am. I’m the one who was supposed to pick you up,” the young deputy admitted.

She wasn’t surprised. “Well I’m here now, guess that’s all that matters,” she replied, curbing her anger.

“What do you say we take a ride Agent McDaniels?” Sheriff Garrett suggested. “As of an hour ago we have another body.”<O:p

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/annepatrick/Book%20Covers/SmTiesThatBind.jpg

For a chance to win a free PDF copy visit Gail's blog (http://gailpallotta.blogspot.com/2010/05/looking-out-window-interview-with-anne.html)and leave a comment with your email. She'll be drawing on Sunday. Here's another excerpt.

Austin glanced over at Jo as they left the Salt Lake City field office. Throughout the course of the morning she’d kept what little conversation they’d had on a professional level and he couldn’t help but wonder if she was still distracted by the sergeant. His thoughts drifted back to the conversation he’d interrupted between the two. He’d been right in his assumption, there was a history between them, but judging from what he’d managed to hear it was more on a professional level than a personal one.

Which brought him back to the present, and why all of a sudden she wasn’t her usual outgoing self. “You okay?” he finally got the nerve to ask as they approached the rental car.

“I’m fine.”

He unlocked her door and held it open for her. “You don’t seem fine.”

She smiled for the first time in hours. “It’s just that I haven’t done that in a while.”

“Been the bearer of bad news you mean?”

“Yeah. I’m not very good at it. I usually work in the background. By the time I interview the parents and spouses, the initial shock of losing a loved one has worn off.”

Her sensitivity came as a pleasant surprise. “I would have thought you were used to it after working at the state medical examiners office.”

“That was a long time ago. I’m not the same person I was then.”

Austin fell silent at Jo’s words, wondering if she was referring to the gift she discovered she had while working there. He wasn’t entirely convinced she was being straight with him. Why in the world would she make something like this up though?

They were on their way back to the airport, when Austin decided to broach the subject. “What’s it like, Jo, when you use your gift?”

She met his curious gaze. “It’s like watching a horror movie in 3D, only you’re not just seeing the murder take place, you become a participant.”

He’d read stories in the Bible about people having visions of future events, but didn’t recall any about the past or ones with dead people in them. Whether her visions were real or not, she believed they were and he was going to give her the benefit of the doubt. At least for the time being. “How does it affect you…I mean afterwards?”

“Let’s just say I won’t be my usual charming self.”

He laughed. “How can I help…I mean when the time comes?”

“Just be patient with me. I may say or do things that seem crazy or unethical.”

Though he was tempted to ask her to elaborate, he didn’t. He knew all too well how possessed a cop could get when they let a case get under their skin, and he suspected it was much worse for her, psychic or not.

Available for purchase now at Awe-Struck Publishing (http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=Awe-Struck&product=Ties+That+Bind&exact_match=exact).

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Here I am. Hopefully rejuvenated.

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hi Shawna. Hey, have you posted any excerpts from your new release?

Here I am. Hopefully rejuvenated.

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hi Shawna. Hey, have you posted any excerpts from your new release?

I haven't, but I can. Let me look for a minute and see

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Okay, here's an excerpt. This is from my favorite scene, where Jakob and Meri have sort of broken into his old house, which seized when his family was interned and then the land sold to a chemical plant in an auction. The house has been left abandoned for several years. The chandelier was still there, so he nabbed it for his mom. But now there's a rain storm that's rolled in.

Jakob headed for the living room, holding the chandelier by its chain. "Hey Meri," he called to her over the rain. "Come in here."
Meri walked toward the living room, but paused at its entrance as a gust of wind hit her. "The window is broken," she said.
"I know. The wind is blowing south though and the porch is keeping most of the rain out."
Meri took slow steps toward him, crossing her arms and rubbing them as the chill from the storm hit her. Jakob stood in the center of the room with his hair blowing wildly.
"What are you doing?"
He closed his eyes and tilted his head back slightly. "It feels nice. Kinda like standing in the rain without getting wet."
He laid the chandelier on the floor and marched over to the wall. Meri watched as he used his foot to clear pine needles and dirt from an area of the floor. He stood over the spot, inspecting it, and then unbuttoned his plaid shirt and took it off, revealing the white tee shirt he wore underneath.
Her heart jumped into her throat.
Jakob laid the shirt on the ground, then turned and sat next to it with his back leaning against the wall. "Come on," he said. "I saved ya a seat."
She furrowed her brow. Her teeth clattered with a sudden chill but she did as he asked. "This is crazy," she said, taking a seat on his shirt.
"Nah." He stretched out his legs, leaned his head back and closed his eyes.
"Jakob, what are you doing?"
"Just takin' it all in." He let out a relaxed sigh. "You should give it a try."
Meri folded her arms. Then unfolded them. She hated feeling self-conscious. "I don't know how."
He cracked one eye at her. "Be still."
"What?"
"Copy me," he said. "Lean back, close your eyes."
She did as he said. "Now what?" This was nuts.
"Quiet your mind, and just listen and feel."
Meri took a deep breath and tried to relax. It wasn't working. She sneaked a glance at Jakob. His face seemed beautifully serene amidst the swirling bits of debris flying through the room. It was so... him. Somehow, realizing that made her want to give herself over to the experience. She took another deep breath and let it out slowly.
The first thing she noticed was the musty scent had been cleansed from the air. The smell of rain, clean and fresh, took its place. Droplets rhythmically pattered against the roof. And the
sound changed with the wind -- becoming soft, like a whisper -- then building into a crescendo with the howling gale. At its peak, rumbling thunder. It was music.
Her body relaxed fully and her shivers subsided. She surrendered to the moment, allowing the wild breeze and cool mist to touch her, tickle her. Tiny goose-bumps rose all over her skin. With her eyes closed it felt as if she were elsewhere -- suspended and floating. Free.
"It's beautiful," escaped her lips.
"Glad you could join me," Jakob whispered.
She felt the warmth of his hand slip around hers, his touch joining them in the experience. Their own private symphony.

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Great Excerpt, Shawna! You are very good at discription, I felt like I was right there with them. Awesome job.

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I didn't think that wind would ever quit! Thankfully, all is calm now, so I'm back. :)

You guys have posted some great blurbs and excerpts!

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
smilies/dancingspotsHi EA.

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
smilies/dancingspotsHi EA.
Hey, Anne. Are you throwing a party in here? LOL :)

S.K.Williams
May 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Great Excerpt, Shawna! You are very good at discription, I felt like I was right there with them. Awesome job.

Thanks!

Hi Regina! If you see this. *waving*

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Well I'm trying to. I can't find Miss Mae and her special recipe lemonade though.

Hey, Anne. Are you throwing a party in here? LOL :)

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Well I'm trying to. I can't find Miss Mae and her special recipe lemonade though.
I think I just found where she stashed the special lemonade. :tequila:

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
ALRIGHT! Let the partay begin...woohoo.:spotman:

I think I just found where she stashed the special lemonade. :tequila:

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
In that case, I'll put on my party sombrero and bring some friends. smilies/biggrinbandi smilies/fam03.gif

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hey EA, have you posted any of your excerpts yet? If not, bring um on!Cheerleader (I just love these little guys and gals)

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:10 PM
smilies/candy.gifI brought chocolate. Shawna, put your party hat on. Where's Larry. Oh Larry...

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hey EA, have you posted any of your excerpts yet? If not, bring um on!Cheerleader (I just love these little guys and girls)
Emoticons are one of my favorite things about forums.applause.gif

I posted my excerpts earlier, before I had to duck out, but I'll post one again to keep the party hopping! (I'll post the others if requested :biggrin:)

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:18 PM
:spotman:Please do. I missed them. While grabbing them I'm going to sneak another drink of Miss Mae's lemonade.ChampagneParty.gif It is made with lemons and lemons are good for ya right?

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Riley's Mission, my first romantic suspense, is available in ebbok format from The Wild Rose Press (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/rileys-mission-p-3961.html). You can view the amazing cover in The Sweetest Romance Authors Gallery of Book Covers (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=11304).

Blurb:

Excerpt:

She hadn’t been wrong.

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Please do. I missed them. While grabbing them I'm going to sneak another drink of Miss Mae's lemonade.ChampagneParty.gif
Okay, I'll be right back with the other two. Enjoy that lemonade! LOL

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Okay now I want more. Is this available in ebook, EA?

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Don't worry, I am. Miss Mae sure does make some fine lemonade.:tequila:

Okay, I'll be right back with the other two. Enjoy that lemonade! LOL

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Light in the Darkness is a mystery with a hint of romance. You can purchase a copy from Sea Crest eBooks (http://shop.dianakaypublishing.com/product.sc?productId=16&categoryId=1).

Blurb:

Kennedy Drake loves exploring dark places, which makes his job as a graveyard shift security guard ideal. While checking out strange noises in his elderly neighbor’s basement, he discovers a hidden room with a woman trapped inside. Chastity Mooreland has more to fear than her time trapped in darkness. Will Kennedy believe her bizarre tale of a stalker no one thinks is guilty—and will he help free her from a life of despair? Can Chastity look past her suspicion of mankind to accept his offer of friendship?

Excerpt:

Kennedy went back the way he’d come and passed through the last doorway, stopping in amazement. The huge room was lined with cobwebby wooden shelves, some of which held a few dust-covered canning jars. A pair of wooden bins with sloping lids and three old wooden barrels with age-darkened metal rings stood in the middle of the floor. He couldn’t help wondering if the room had held a year’s worth of food in the days of horse-drawn carriages. It looked large enough.

He found a switch on the wall and turned on the lights. Two of the three bulbs hanging from the ceiling flashed bright then went out, and he made a mental note to come back later to change them. Louise likely wouldn’t ever come in her basement again, but it would give her peace of mind to know the lights worked. He set the flashlight on one of the shelves near the door and walked over to the bins and barrels. Empty. He glanced around the room one more time, not seeing anything that would make any kind of noise without human help, and there weren’t any tracks to indicate anyone had been down there in the last six months.

He retrieved his flashlight and reached for the light switch. A tapping sound from the far side of the room stilled his hand. He turned around, but all he saw were empty shelves and a spider busily spinning a web in the corner. The tapping grew more frantic as he slowly approached the shelves.

“Hello? Is somebody there?”

The tapping stopped. “Help me! Please, get me out of here!” a hysterical female voice called, muffled by the wood-backed shelves.

It took Kennedy a moment to recover from the shock of actually getting a reply. “Keep tapping so I can figure out where you are.”

The tapping continued and so did the voice, though it now sounded like the woman was crying. “Please hurry! I have to get out of here! Please...”

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Okay now I want more. Is this available in ebook, EA?
Yes, Riley's Mission is an ebook and can be purchased on the publisher's website. http://www.thewildrosepress.com/rileys-mission-p-3961.html

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Spooky. Both of these excerpts are terrific, EA!

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Spooky. Both of these excerpts are terrific, EA!
Thanks, Anne! One more excerpt coming right up. :spotman:

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Dreams Do Come True is an inspirational romance ebook available from White Rose Publishing (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/cartage.html?main_page=product_info&cPath=147&products_id=1195).

Blurb:

Excerpt:

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Yaay applause.gif Hey, Shawna, welcome back. Grab your party hat, girl.

Thanks, Anne! One more excerpt coming right up. :spotman:

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Yaay applause.gif Hey, Shawna, welcome back. Grab your party hat, girl.
Shawna's back? Awesome! :orange:

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM
:drooling[1]: Wow! I think I agree with Cassie.

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:41 PM
:drooling[1]: Wow! I think I agree with Cassie.
I know I agree with her. :whistilin:

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:44 PM
EA has found Miss Mae's stash of her special recipe lemonade. :tequila:We have the non special too. Oh and I brought chocolate. And the band has started to play.:guitar:

Shawna's back? Awesome! :orange:

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Rock on! A band! Now, to find a few more party goers... :detective:

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Can we throw a party or what!Laugh it Up fuzball

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Question for EA...what actor do you see playing the handsome devil that just walked in that Cassie is so taken by. And who do you see playing Cassie?

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Now it's your turn, Shawna. What actors do you visualize playing your characters?:whistle:

The band is now taking requests :guitar:

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Question for EA...what actor do you see playing the handsome devil that just walked in that Cassie is so taken by. And who do you see playing Cassie?
Ooh, that's a tough one! Um...for that gorgeous guy, how about Orlando Bloom? And maybe Sandra Bullock for Cassie.

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 10:02 PM
So, Anne, who would you choose to play the lead roles in your stories? :popcorn:

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Here is an excerpt from one of my latest releases.

The house was dark as Alex Michaels drove onto the lawn. She slammed the gearshift into park, pulled her gun from its holster, and jumped from the car. She swiped frantically at the tears as she stepped cautiously to the front door and grasped the knob. Please God…Please don’t let me be too late. Her grip tightened on the 9mm as beads of perspiration formed on her forehead. Inside the entryway, she reached out with her left hand to flick the light switch.<O:p

The knife came out of nowhere.<O:p</O:p

A sharp pain, followed by a burning sensation, seared up her right forearm. Her fingers went numb and the gun clattered to the floor. She jabbed with her left arm, her clenched fist coming in contact with the jaw hidden behind a black ski mask.<O:p

The intruder retaliated with a punch to her right cheek that slammed her body back against the door. The room swirled, her knees grew weak. She struggled to stand on solid ground. With a fistful of hair, her head was jerked back as the attacker’s knee rammed her rib cage, forcing a gush of air from her lungs.<O:p

She cried out as her knees buckled and she dropped to the floor. Another blow to her rib cage knocked her back onto the floor. Her left arm pinned beneath her, she raised a bloody right arm toward the intruder and stared in horror at her hand dangling lifelessly.<O:p

With the full weight of his body pinning her, she writhed beneath him trying to free her left arm.<O:p

“Fight me, Alex. Show me you’re not as weak as the rest.”<O:p

“I swear I’m going to kill you.” Using her feet as leverage, she rolled against him but she was no match for his strength.<O:p

He laughed. “Come on, Alex. Your sister put up a better fight than this.”<O:p

A sob escaped her lips. She could still hear Cassie’s cries for help and her bloodcurdling screams of terror.<O:p

“Sorry you didn’t make it in time to say goodbye. But you’ll be with her soon enough.”

Available now from Champagne Books (http://champagne.vstore.ca/product_info.php/pName/out-of-the-darkness-ebook).<O:p

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Oh, great choices! I can totally see that. Mummm...oh yeah!

Ooh, that's a tough one! Um...for that gorgeous guy, how about Orlando Bloom? And maybe Sandra Bullock for Cassie.

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Oh, wow, Anne! That is one creepy, exciting excerpt. Well done. :)

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
In Out of the Darkness - Meg Ryan as Alex and Matthew whats his name from The Wedding Planner for Austin. I'd want to be on the set to give Matthew tips though.:orange:

So, Anne, who would you choose to play the lead roles in your stories? :popcorn:

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Ohhhhhhh! Dearrrrrrr! Poor Alex! How will she survive?

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 10:13 PM
In Out of the Darkness - Meg Ryan as Alex and Matthew whats his name from The Wedding Planner for Austin. I'd want to be on the set to give Matthew tips though.:orange:
Nice combination. You have fun on that movie set. :balloon:

EAWest
May 13th, 2010, 10:14 PM
A thunderstorm just arrived, so I'm going to sign off for the night. It's been a great chat and I look forward to seeing y'all next month!

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Stay safe EA. It has been fun. We'll see ya next month.

A thunderstorm just arrived, so I'm going to sign off for the night. It's been a great chat and I look forward to seeing y'all next month!

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 10:17 PM
You bet I will :winkiss:

Nice combination. You have fun on that movie set. :balloon:

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hi Laurie. Alex manages to get away from him this time, but she may not when they meet up again.

Ohhhhhhh! Dearrrrrrr! Poor Alex! How will she survive?

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Anne, I'm praying for Alex's protection. BTW Just got in from revival services.

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Before I head out of here, I want to invite everyone to a free read I'm offering online of my new work in progress. You can read the first chapter now. Chapter two will be posted next week. Enjoy!

http://suspensebyannewips.blogspot.com/ (http://suspensebyannewips.blogspot.com/)

Thank you to everyone who has stopped by. I hope you enjoyed our excerpts.

Anne Patrick
May 13th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks Laurie. You just got back from revival services. That's cool. I bet you feel very inspired. I always do after I go to one.:spotman:

Anne, I'm praying for Alex's protection. BTW Just got in from revival services.

Laurean
May 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Over The Coals by Laurean Brooks --Just Released!

One of 5 stories in a 5-author anthology titled, A Summer Collection. http://www.smashwords.com/books/14519

Setting: A Sunday School group holds a summer cookout in Rob Canter's back yard. Jill Landers is new in town and hasn't met anyone except Kim, the girl who shares her duplex. Jill's hobby is people-watching. It didn't take her long to figure out Rob Canter. But are her conclusions flawed?

Excerpt:

"We're ready for buns!" Rob cupped his hands and yelled to no one in particular. "We can start eating while these last burgers cook."

The flirtatious blonde sprinted toward the house and brought out a loaded warmer. "Here you go, hon."

Jill's stomach lurched at the endearment. Why hadn't she stayed home? Rob was so much like her ex boyfriend, he scared her. Women hung all over him, too. But with Jill's trusting nature, she'd not questioned his fidelity. Naturally introverted, she had withdrawn from the public ey even more since his deception.

People-watching was Jill's favorite pastime. When Kim and she arrived, Jill placed hr chair a safe distance from the others to observe them and draw her own conclusions. She had been told she'd missed her calling. If Jill had the finances, she would work toward a psychology degree. She analyzed every person and situation.

Take Rob Canter, for instance. Jill had him pegged. Every word that spewed from his mouth confirmed her assessment. Doling out orders proved he was overbearing, pushy...a dictatior who thought females should swoon and fall at his feet. And calling women by endearments suggested he was a rake. Jill was fond of that British term used to describe men who worked their wiles on unsuspecting women. Men like her ex-boyfriend, and evidently Rob.

Yep! Jill could spot a rake by the way he carried himself, his boisterous personality.

Rob dropped the spatula on the grill. "Okay, gang!" He wiped his hands on his apron, then untied it.

Then he smiled at her. Jill averted her eyes. Save those charms for the blonde.

"Gather around the table." Rob's order interrupted her thoughts and caught the group's attention. Everyone surrounded the picnic table. Jill rose from her comfortable lawn chair to join them.

"Simon, will you ask the blessing? Everyone, join hands."

The group formed a circle around the table. Jill move in closer, bowed her head and closed her eyes. Someone grabbed her left hand. It felt like a woman's hand. Then someone to her right grasped her other hand. Butterflies swarmed in her stomach. She could tell by the firm grip the hand belonged to a man. Jill cracked one eye open enough to confirt it. Long, strong, neatly-manicured fingers enclosed her smaller ones. She dared not look up at his face. When he squeezed her fingers, a warm tingle spread up her arm, leaving her weak-kneed. She leaned against the table for support and caught only the last line of Simon's blessing.

"...and bless all who've gathered here for this cookout. In Jesus' blessed name I pray. Amen."

Jill tried to pul her right hand free. The grip tightened. Her heart caught in her throat whe she glanced up to see green eyes sparkling with mischief. Rob! Freckles glistened across a retrousse nose and a smirk pulled his full lips to one side. She frowned. Something akin to pain flickered across his countenance.

He released her hand. "Sorry about that. I didn't mean to sweat up your hand." Rob continued to smile at her as if waiting for her to introduce herself.

She broke eye contact to search for her friend. Where was Kim?

"There you are, Robbie."

Robbie? The blonde again. Jill groaned inwardly as the young woman circled Rob's arm and led him away. He whirled. "Nice to meet you, Jill."

Heat rushed to her face. The nerve of the man. The flirty blonde was obviously his latest love interest. And he had the audacity to come on to her!

Other stories by Laurean Brooks

Jonquils In The Snow: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341

Journey To Forgiveness (full length) historical inspirational (1938)www.whiterosepublishing.com (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com) Click on Authors name, then historical tab.