PDA

View Full Version : Ages of the characters

Abby Wood
May 13th, 2010, 11:41 AM
On the Breathless Press website (http://www.breathlesspress.com) there is a small box with a poll asking if you like your hero to be the same age as the heroine...or older, younger.

As a writer, I'm very curious about this too. I'd love to hear from the readers what they prefer.

Abby

Tara S Nichols
May 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I consider myself a reader, so... I'd say it doesn't really matter. If the guy is a bit younger it's almost not worth mentioning, but if he's 25 and the heroine is 42, well, then I say classify it under Cougar romance. If it's the other way around... well... I'm not as into that, lol. What a double standard. I think I mostly prefer the hero to be two years older than the heroine.

Abby Wood
May 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I consider myself a reader, so... I'd say it doesn't really matter. If the guy is a bit younger it's almost not worth mentioning, but if he's 25 and the heroine is 42, well, then I say classify it under Cougar romance. If it's the other way around... well... I'm not as into that, lol. What a double standard. I think I mostly prefer the hero to be two years older than the heroine.

I think I'm biased, because my hubs is 11 years older than me and I met him right out of high school. :whistle: As a reader, like you, age usually isn't even apparent unless it is stated or there is a wide difference. I don't even think of their age, except in the terms that they are both younger or closer to middle age. After seeing the poll, I do wonder though if there is a preference amongst the readers.

Fiona Vance
May 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM
In real life, I don't think the ages matter--there are mature and immature of both sexes, and both older and younger people hav a certain sexiness to them. Clint Eastwood held onto that mystique for a *long* time. And if Michelle Pfeiffer gets any more beautiful... She's hotter at 50-something than I was in my 20's. But then again, there's something about those hot, buff young guys with the energy and endurance of youth... There's something that just seems right about a woman reaching her sexual peak at 40, and having a guy who's still in his, too :-)

Gina Gordon
May 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I am defintely not a fan of the older man younger woman.

I am on the cusp of turning 30 -I hate the 3 in front of my age- and my favorite storylines to read are about 30-something characters. My husband and I haven't even been married for two years and we don't have children so I can't put myself in the shoes of a forty something character. I can identify more with the younger couple, starting out and finding love because that's sort of where I am in my life. But there is nothing wrong with a little cougar action...

Stephanie_Haefner
May 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I usually mention my heroine's age, but not always my hero. In A Bitch Named Karma, I do because of the big difference....she's 32, he's 24. Not enough to classify as a cougar, but still fun!

kate richards
May 13th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I am a year and a half older than my own husband, but overall I prefer the hero a little older than the heroine. After all, look at guys in their 20s and women in their 20's. Often the guys aren't fully together yet, still playing and partying. However, I believe cougar stories are really in. I think I'll give one a shot and see if it goes anywhere. I love the cover for A Bitch Named Karma btw. Sexy and a great title too.

Stephanie_Haefner
May 13th, 2010, 10:26 PM
:) Thanks Kate!!! And yeah, I get what you're saying. Usually guys who are 24 are not very focused. In my story, he has already gotten that all out of his system...had a few years of non-stop party-life. So now he's in school and done with the craziness. He's not perfect though...has his moments of immaturity!

kate richards
May 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
And 24/32 is cool, not such a big age difference, just enough to be interesting, I think.

Stephanie_Haefner
May 13th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Exactly! All this cougar talk is making me want to write one! I hear it's big right now! LOL!

Abby Wood
May 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
There has to be women out there that like the older man! I have a book called Twice Her Age coming out in July about this very thing. lol

I had this conversation on Facebook a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised to hear from the people who have always been attracted to someone older. (me included, lol)

AmbrielleKirk
May 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I have always been attracted to men at least a few years older than me. Never given much thought as to why, it's just a preference. I don't mind an older man with younger woman or vice versa. If I'm reading (or writing) adult romance (21+ and up), then ten years is not that big a difference to me.

I've only read a few cougar books, but I really liked them. Maybe I'll have fun writing one some day.

Fiona Vance
May 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
I like cougar stories. :-) I have one in the works now... but it's like number ten on the priority list... or maybe it'll have to move up... :-)

CharmedGirl
May 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Cougar books can be quite hilarious. Especially when the mother is going after one of her son's friends. LOL