PDA

View Full Version : Let's dish about paranormal novels

kellyabell
May 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM
:scardey:As a writer of paranormal novels I love to interact with my readers. Tell me your most favorite thing about paranormal novels.

Nikmorton
June 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Paranormals break boundaries. My own psychic spy books feature Tana Standish in the 1970s when ESP was actively being studied by both US and Soviet governments. Can you name a book that inspired you to write paranormal stories?

kellyabell
June 3rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Paranormals break boundaries. My own psychic spy books feature Tana Standish in the 1970s when ESP was actively being studied by both US and Soviet governments. Can you name a book that inspired you to write paranormal stories?
Thanks for stopping by Nik. I have always been very fond of author Kay Hooper and her Bishop FBI series is a series about an FBI special unit that is comprised of all psychics with different abilities. I loved her books and that started my paranormal brain working. I've also loved a few of the paranormal trilogies by Nora Roberts as well.

What motivated me to write Haunted Destiny was my 17 year old daughter. I wrote that book for her and I asked her what she wanted to read and she wanted a "clique ghost story" so that's what she got! It's a bit more chilling than I think she bargained for but its an exciting read.

Gwyn Lacy
June 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM
What frustrates me at times with paranormals is the loose fit that almost any sci-fi, historical fantasy, shape-shifter, vampire, ghosts, and aliens, demons all fit into this one category. I love the paranormal; I just wish there were some descriptors that went along with paranormal consistantly. Although, when you do go to paranormal...it is like a getting a box of chocolates. Yummy and you don't always know what you are going to get!

kellyabell
June 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM
That's an interesting point. Vampires can sparkle, walk in the daylight, not walk in the daylight, die from a stake through the heart, not die from a stake through the heart. I guess maybe that is the point of it being fantasy. I think the one thing that always gets me is... I think of paranormal as ghosts and spirits. Things that go bump in the night. I don't really think of these creatures as paranormal. I think they deserve a genre all their own. Maybe we could call it Nonhuman romance! LOL

And I do agree there should be some consistency in the basic construction of these creatures. It makes it difficult for us writers to keep re-inventing things that vampires can do OR not do.

hollie
June 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
you have a point but if there was a set of rules, it would limit the possiblities and make more of the stories seem the same.

plus different people belive different things about shifters and vampires. i think it is fine for different writers to have different ideas about who can do what. as long as each author stays with in their own rules.

kellyabell
June 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I don't disagree at all Hollie, and I think that might be what I was trying to say without success. I am an editor as well and many times there are inconsistencies that writers need to watch out for. I think a full character analysis helps this. Fleshing out the character prior to writing the story can prevent that a lot I think.

While I like vampire stories I also love a good ghost story. They are scarier to me because I believe they are real. Have any of you ever had an experience you want to share?

Christy M
June 4th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I like the paranormals the best because they have no limits, no rules. You can make you vampire walk in the daylight or your lycan change into more than just a wolf. i think that makes it so many more authors gave give you a wide variety of stories that are based on one thing (vampires, lycans, fairies) but stories that are so different you don't get bored.

kellyabell
June 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
That is what is so wonderful about being a writer. You can create any world you want. I also like reading them because of the escape it provides. I hope when readers read my books they get that feeling. It would be the greatest compliment to me.

Dawn Chartier
June 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
While I have a new vampire novel out. I'm finding a whole new world of "paranormal"... I'm currently writing a psychic mystery romance series. My character has telepathy, but only with her three other sisters...until she meets the hot hero...I'm really enjoying the research on the psychic world...interesting stuff...

Dawn

kellyabell
June 18th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Dawn,
I really like the psychic world as well. It's so versatile for a writer. You can do so many things with it. Good luck with your new series.

How about the rest of you, do you like this kind of books?

skye savoy
June 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Great topic! I got temporarily burned out on vampires,witches and shapeshifters. So, I wrote about a jinn in "Finding Her Perfect Master." It was interesting to see how misconstrued public (my) perception is on jeanies thanks to "I Dream of Jeanie." It was fun to research and write a comedic romance about one.
www.skyesavoy.com (http://www.skyesavoy.com)

kellyabell
June 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Great topic! I got temporarily burned out on vampires,witches and shapeshifters. So, I wrote about a jinn in "Finding Her Perfect Master." It was interesting to see how misconstrued public (my) perception is on jeanies thanks to "I Dream of Jeanie." It was fun to research and write a comedic romance about one.
www.skyesavoy.com (http://www.skyesavoy.com)
Hi Skye,
thanks for stopping by. I have read anything with jeanies so that would be interesting. I do like wizards and warlocks. Was a hugh fan of the Harry Potter series but I also like Terry Goodkind too and his series . The name escapes me now. I'm not huge into fantasy but if it is well written I'll give it a shot.

My book Haunted Destiny goes beyond the normal vampires, witches and werewolves, and gets into the spirit world. I found that fascinating to research as well.
Kelly
www.kellyabellbooks.com (http://www.kellyabellbooks.com)

Gwyn Lacy
June 18th, 2010, 05:29 PM
:swinging:Yeah, me too. I still like the HER ending though. Overcoming great obstacles and all!
That is what is so wonderful about being a writer. You can create any world you want. I also like reading them because of the escape it provides. I hope when readers read my books they get that feeling. It would be the greatest compliment to me.

Gwyn Lacy
June 18th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Kelly, when you research the paranormal for your stories--you must find conflicting ideas, facts, ect. What do you do? I did historical research on the Huns--very little absolute facts--but later found opinion pieces that presented as facts. How much creative license do you allow yourself while creating in the "spirit realm" or paranormal settings and characters? Thanks

Gwyn Lacy
June 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Hi Sky and Kelly, I too am getting a little burned out on shape shifters, vamps and weres--geanies--were on my list of ideas-lol. They say there is always a new twist on the old, and the Twilight Saga and True Blood and all the other stories. I mean vampires used to be as dreadful as zombies--lol. Hmm, think we could make Zombies sexy? Just rambling to let my brain untangle.

kellyabell
June 18th, 2010, 05:40 PM
That's a good question, Gwyn. I think with the spirit world you have quite a bit of creative license because no one really knows what the facts are. But I try to go with legitimate sources. I used Sylvia Browne, James Van Pragh, and others as the basis for my research. The rest was pretty much creative license. I do think when you are writing about a mythical character that has some legend to it, I think it is wise to let your readers know somehow that you've read the legends and you are taking a step away from that. I think that gives you credibility. To illustrate what I mean, In Twilight where Edward sparkles, he at least addresses that Bella will not experience what she's always read about vampires. Now the sparkling is using quite a bit of creative license but it works for her books.

In Haunted Destiny, Destiny's experiences are different from her grandmother's because I believe every medium's energy levels are different and their ability to control their environment comes with practice.

Does that answer your question?

kellyabell
June 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I'm having a really hard time picturing a sexy zombie!! Good Grief! LOL I can see him trying to be really sauve, run his fingers through his hair and his hand falls off! LOL

bethp1980
November 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Dawn,
I really like the psychic world as well. It's so versatile for a writer. You can do so many things with it. Good luck with your new series.

How about the rest of you, do you like this kind of books?

I LOVE paranormal romance. Every since I was little, I have been fascinated with witches wizards and magic. Some of my favorite books have these themes but are set in todays world. My favorite trilogy ever is Nora Roberts' 'Three Sisters Trilogy'. That was one of those that you read and hated to see it end.:no:

bethp1980
November 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM
While I have a new vampire novel out. I'm finding a whole new world of "paranormal"... I'm currently writing a psychic mystery romance series. My character has telepathy, but only with her three other sisters...until she meets the hot hero...I'm really enjoying the research on the psychic world...interesting stuff...

Dawn

Will you turn this into a trilogy do you think?

kellyabell
November 10th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I LOVE paranormal romance. Every since I was little, I have been fascinated with witches wizards and magic. Some of my favorite books have these themes but are set in todays world. My favorite trilogy ever is Nora Roberts' 'Three Sisters Trilogy'. That was one of those that you read and hated to see it end.:no:

Beth1980
I absolutely LOVED that trilogy! It was one of my favorites. I also liked Jewels of the Sun where the woman goes to Ireland and the fairies intervene? Did you read that one?

I am writing a novel right now about Elementals. They are rare and my new book is not about them in a true sense but ties it in with mythology. The book is Titled Jewels of Hera. Be on the look out for it next year.

bethp1980
November 11th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Beth1980
I absolutely LOVED that trilogy! It was one of my favorites. I also liked Jewels of the Sun where the woman goes to Ireland and the fairies intervene? Did you read that one?

I am writing a novel right now about Elementals. They are rare and my new book is not about them in a true sense but ties it in with mythology. The book is Titled Jewels of Hera. Be on the look out for it next year.

I read that one too! She is an awesome writer. Thank you for the heads up on your next book. CAN'T wait!Bouncy Icon Smilie