PDA

View Full Version : Hello horse lovers - and those who are just interested!

HywelaLyn
May 31st, 2010, 07:26 AM
I'm really looking forward to the June Jubilee event. Join me all month. I'll be posting pictures and telling stories about the horses in my life - with a little help from my rescued Jack Russell, Bouncer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Lyn32/WheelPic1A.jpg

CharmedGirl
May 31st, 2010, 07:43 AM
The brown horse on the left reminds me of the old horse my next door neighbours use to have.

HywelaLyn
May 31st, 2010, 08:19 AM
LOL! That's Flying T'pau, my Quarter Horse/Paint. Don't let the 'butter wouldn't melt in my mouth' expression fool you - she's a Prima Donna - a sweet lady with attitude!

CharmedGirl
May 31st, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'm wondering if the black horse is real feisty? Is he or she always trying to bite your other horses?

Robbibird3
May 31st, 2010, 01:33 PM
Looking forward to this event myself. I just don't know what all happens. Is it like the Spring Shower event that they just held? Looking forward to finding out. Happy Monday you all

Robin

HywelaLyn
June 1st, 2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Robin, thanks for calling by. I'm not too sure how this all works myself as it's my first time! I'll be posting some more pics here later on and telling some stories about my horses and other animals. Be sure to stop by on 16th June for my 'Forum Spotlight' with a couple of contests and other fun things.

Hi Charmed Girl. It's actually the one on the left who's the 'feisty' one. She's is chestnut and white and the 'chestnut mare' side of her is very dominant! (Most horse riders will understand that comment, LOL!) She's a sweetheart but very bossy. Harry, the black one, is quite the opposite, gentle and laid back. He can't be bothered to argue with her, but sometimes when she gets too uppetty he just looks at her with that 'OK lady, my patience is wearing a little thin' look, and she backs down!

Nan D Arnold
June 1st, 2010, 01:53 PM
Ashamed to admit I know nothing of horses except they scare me, (a run in with an Apaloosa once at a commercial stable). Still, really sad considering I'm a Texas native. Love Clysdales (spelling?) though and I've had some fun betting on them!

Just learned yesterday horses have TWO brains, imagine! Have to train both.

Speaking of TWO, my new release PESTO PACKIN' MAMA came out today, sequel to Hitting The High Notes.

Ride on, ladies
Nan D Arnold

HywelaLyn
June 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Hi Nan

Sorry to hear about your run in with an Apaloosa. I have a story about the most beautiful, gentle Apaloosa stallion you could imagine, which I'm going to post here as part of my participation in the Jubilee. Look out for it - I hope it'll restore your faith in Appies.

Yes, Clydesdales are gentle giants. Horses have two brains? Well, that explains a lot. I wonder if I could persuade T'pau to use the nicer of her brains, the one that nuzzles me and goes to sleep if I stroke her face for long enough, rather than the one that spooks at sabretooth butterflies and turns into a manic bronc that bucks me off and then looks down at me an laughs! LOL!

Good luck with your new release.

Nan D Arnold
June 1st, 2010, 10:32 PM
Of course, the person telling me about two brains knew I am ignorant about horses and could have been pulling my leg. Hmmm. Tricky. Thanks for best wishes on my release same to you. And your horses are handsome (or pretty?) -- if only they weren't so big. But, they're breeding smaller and smaller miniatures.
Nan

HywelaLyn
June 2nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
Hi Nan. I think perhaps the person who told you horses have two brains was the same one who told me (many years ago when I was an office junior) to go to the store and get him a box of camel feathers!LOL:wideeyed:

Yes horses are pretty big and I can understand why people who aren't used to them find them a bit overwhelming. (I'm five foot nothing, so can't see over the back of anything over fifteen hands, so can empathise!) The miniatures are gorgeous, but there's nothing to compare with actually sitting on the back of a horse and building up that 'special relationship'!

CharmedGirl
June 2nd, 2010, 04:29 AM
I love riding horses. Not that I've had much of a chance to lately.

Shelley Munro
June 2nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Great photo. They look very happy as if they're enjoying the sun.

Shelley

HywelaLyn
June 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM
Hi Charmed Girl, thanks for stopping by. Yes, finding time to fit everythingin that we love is really hard isn't it! I often wish there were 48 hours in a day!

Sharon Donovan
June 2nd, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hi Lyn and Bouncer! You know how much I adore horses and animals. I look forward to reading all about your tales in the days ahead.
Sharon

Sharon Donovan
Romantic Suspense with a Twist of Faith
www.sharonadonovan.com (http://www.sharonadonovan.com)
sharonad@comcast.net

Mask of the Betrayer
www.whimsicalpublications.com (http://www.whimsicalpublications.com)

I'm really looking forward to the June Jubilee event. Join me all month. I'll be posting pictures and telling stories about the horses in my life - with a little help from my rescued Jack Russell, Bouncer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/Lyn32/WheelPic1A.jpg

HywelaLyn
June 2nd, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hi Shelley, glad you like the photo. Yes, they love the sun (not that we get many days as sunny as the one when that was taken last week!) In our very changeable climate it can be sunny one moment and raining the next, so we always leave one of the shelters open in the summer so they can shelter from the rain or the flies as appropriate!

HywelaLyn
June 2nd, 2010, 06:14 AM
Hi Sharon, my friend, so glad you're here to join in the fun!

Nan D Arnold
June 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Yes, will keep the "riding high" idea in mind if ever I have another opportunity to go horseback riding. Maybe a Shetland pony is more my speed but understand they can be rather disagreeable.
Nan

KaitlinMaitland
June 2nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
As a fellow horse enthusiast I'm looking forward to hearing your horsey tales. No other creature on earth has such a talent for making humans feel insignificant. Every morning my mare nickers when I enter the barn and I must remind myself that its the feed bucket she's greeting first and me second.

Kaitlin Maitland

HywelaLyn
June 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Your're right Nan, Shetland ponies, are the bravest, most adorable little guys but they're not as sweet and gentle as most people think, with the odd exception of course. A nice gentle horse that 'knows the ropes, has been there, done that and got the Tee Shirt' is your best bet. Most riding centres have one or two of those!

HywelaLyn
June 2nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Kaitlin

How true! I know exactly what you mean. That 'come hither' look and 'I luv you mum' expression really mean 'where's my feed, human'! Kidding apart, they can be genuinely affectionate though.

What's your mare like and what's her name?

Nan D Arnold
June 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
Oh, you mean horses are that way, too, I thought only cats. I don't feel so masochistic now.
Nan

HywelaLyn
June 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
LOL! Cats and horses have a lot in common! They're both beautiful, independent, and very adept at getting their own way and making a fool out of humans when it suits them! (Can't help loving them though!)

Nan D Arnold
June 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but a cat can't get you where you want to go!
Nan

KaitlinMaitland
June 5th, 2010, 01:29 PM
At the moment I have a Percheron/Paint Warmblood cross named Mercy. She's a real sweetheart. I've never had such an even tempered mare in my life. A friend of mine laughingly suggested we have her estrogen levels tested to see how much 'girl' is actually in her as her draft background has gifted her with exceptionally coarse whiskers on her face that strongly remind me of a manly 5 o' clock shadow. Her feet are absolutely massive. We've started doing some low level Eventing and when those big puppies hit the water I'm instantly drenched. But I adore her and she's a true joy not only to 'work with' but to live with as well.

I've attached a pic of us from a recent show.

Many Horsey Returns,
Kaitlin Maitland

HywelaLyn
June 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Oh she's an absolute beauty, Kaitlin, I love tri-colours and she is so striking, I would never have put her as half Percheron from the picture, but the heavy horses do tend to have lovely temperaments.

Good luck with the shows!

HywelaLyn
June 6th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Nan - sorry I somethow missed your comment before. Yes,you're right, a horse is handy if you need trasport. You can't even harness a cat up to a little cart like you could a dog - but on the other hand, our two 'ferel' cats (They're as tame as house cats) Milly and Molly earn their keep by doing the 'mousework' so they certainly have their place with horses.

Nan D Arnold
June 6th, 2010, 10:06 AM
What a gorgeous animal (rider ain't bad either).
Nan