PDA

View Full Version : Cats

Janice Seagraves
June 1st, 2010, 10:13 PM
I have two very sweet out door cat, but one thinks there has been a mistake. She's not an out door cat so "why am I out here?"

Joyce DiPastena
June 2nd, 2010, 12:12 AM
I have two very sweet indoor cats. Ummm, well, sometimes they're sweet, and sometimes they're a little more spicy, as in they've both got some "bite". (And occasionally some "scratch" in them, too!)

EAWest
June 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
It appears two is the popular number for cats around here. I have two indoor cats, one of whom is convinced she should be allowed outdoors as well. The other, well, he's a sweetie, but he weighs somewhere around twelve pounds and is still very much a kitten (he's ten months old). Band-Aids, anyone? LOL :)

Joyce DiPastena
June 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
It appears two is the popular number for cats around here. I have two indoor cats, one of whom is convinced she should be allowed outdoors as well. The other, well, he's a sweetie, but he weighs somewhere around twelve pounds and is still very much a kitten (he's ten months old). Band-Aids, anyone? LOL :)

Oh, wow, I'm there with you, E.A.! Band-Aids and lots of hydrogen peroxide and/or Neosporin! LOL! Still, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

What are your cats' names? Mine are Clio Warrior Princess and Glinka-Rimsky-Korsakov (because I like Russian composers, and when he was a kittne, he looked like one of those furry Russian hats!)

Emma Petersen
June 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
I have 3 kittens. Drusilla LaRue, Mustafa and Tatitiana. They're evil & I'm pretty sure they're plotting a world takeover.

Joyce DiPastena
June 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
I think all cats are plotting to take over the world. And heaven help us all, I'm pretty sure they've finally figured out how to use email to communicate with each other when we're asleep!

Janice Seagraves
June 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Our two cats are named by my daughter; Ninja is a black kitty, and our black and white cat's name is Suzu, which means little bells in Japanese.

Yup, my daughter loves the Japanese culture.

Cara Bristol
June 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
I have two cats, Mike and Hannah. Mike weighs in at 15 pounds; Hannah is 10 lbs. They just got a new scratch post the other day and they're like kids with a new toy. They're indoor/outdoor cats.

Joyce DiPastena
June 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
My Glinka boy is 15 pounds, but Clio (girl) is only 9 pounds.

So how do you all name your cats? Do you name them for something you're interested in, like Japanese culture? My last few cats (except for Glinka) got names from Greek mythology because...well, I like Greek mythology. :-) Or do you name them for people that you know or like? Or how do you choose their names?

EAWest
June 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Oh, wow, I'm there with you, E.A.! Band-Aids and lots of hydrogen peroxide and/or Neosporin! LOL! Still, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

What are your cats' names? Mine are Clio Warrior Princess and Glinka-Rimsky-Korsakov (because I like Russian composers, and when he was a kittne, he looked like one of those furry Russian hats!)
Ah, Neosporin, the necessity of all cat owners. LOL

My girl kitty is Annie, although given her superior attitude, she goes by Miss Annie a lot. The little monster, I mean sweetie, is Sergei Yuric. Sergei's named after Sergei Rachmaninoff, one of my favorite composers. The Yuric is because a cat that ornery needed a middle name for when I have to yell at him to get off or out of something. :rolleyes:

EAWest
June 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have 3 kittens. Drusilla LaRue, Mustafa and Tatitiana. They're evil & I'm pretty sure they're plotting a world takeover.
And I thought my cats were the only ones interested in world domination. Hmm...must be species wide after all. LOL

Janice Seagraves
June 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM

So how do you all name your cats? Do you name them for something you're interested in, like Japanese culture? My last few cats (except for Glinka) got names from Greek mythology because...well, I like Greek mythology. :-) Or do you name them for people that you know or like? Or how do you choose their names?

Oh my method of naming cats is very scientific. I name them the cutest most idiotic name I can think of, like Pookey. Laugh it Up fuzball Or I ask my daughter.

Janice~

Kaily Hart
June 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm an Australian living in the US so I named my 2 cats something 'aussie'. My girl cat was 'Tasman' after Tasmania and the Tasman Sea. My boy cat is Syd after Sydney. Seemed natural at the time but now it's kind of cool. Always a great topic of conversation!

Janice Seagraves
June 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
I'm an Australian living in the US so I named my 2 cats something 'aussie'. My girl cat was 'Tasman' after Tasmania and the Tasman Sea. My boy cat is Syd after Sydney. Seemed natural at the time but now it's kind of cool. Always a great topic of conversation!

Hi Kaily,

Cute. Very cute, lol. Especially Syd. Though Tasman makes you think of the Tasmanian devil. I hope your cats isn't like him?

I'm very glad to met you. An Aussie in America. I love it.

My book Windswept Shores, which will be released tomorrow, June 3rd. Is about my hero Seth, who is an Australian who ends up on an deserted island in the Bahamas. He meets a feisty California gal and they have to learn to work together as they struggle to survive.

I'm running a contest on my blog (http://ladyjanice.blogspot.com/), please stop by and leave a comment.

Janice~

Joyce DiPastena
June 3rd, 2010, 03:08 PM

My sister named her cats after two cities we visited when we went to Europe: Valencia (for Spain, and also because she's an "orange" tabby :)) and Piacenza (for Italy). She calls them Vali and Pia for short. (Unless they're in trouble, of course, and then they get the "Valencia!" "Piacenza!" treatment, just like kids. ;))

Cara Bristol
June 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM

I have had a lot of cats in my life. Some I named after characters in books; for others I just liked the name. I like giving animals "people" names, hence the current Mike and Hannah. What I like about Hannah is it's a palindrome -- spelled the same backwards as forward.

Joyce DiPastena
June 7th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I have had a lot of cats in my life. Some I named after characters in books; for others I just liked the name. I like giving animals "people" names, hence the current Mike and Hannah. What I like about Hannah is it's a palindrome -- spelled the same backwards as forward.

That's cool. I never noticed that about Hannah before!

My Glinka's name was originally "Alex" before I adopted him from a shelter. In retrospect, at 15 pounds, I sometimes wonder if he was named after Alexander the Great...or to be more precise in his case, Alexander the Great Big!

Laurie2
June 15th, 2010, 11:20 PM
We have three indoor kitties and my husband teases me because I to use his words "operate the neighborhood kitty soup kitchen." The outdoor cats (strays that visit the kitty soup kitchen) have literally worn a path across the back yard to our back door where I put out the food.

The indoor kitties, Twinkle, Addie, and Missy were all rescued. Twinkle turned up at my mom's house starving. Mom already has about 13 indoor outdoor cats that she's rescued so she asked us if we'd take Twinkle. We got Addie from a rescue group. My mother found Missy under a car at a convenience store, and having so many cats herself, asked us if we could take one more. Being the softies that we are we said yes. :-)

Each of them have distinct personalities. Twinkle's favorite thing is to be petted. She loves to be petted. Addie was skittish around us for the first two and a half years we had her, but she's come into her own recently. She's discovered that she too likes to be petted. She likes to take naps...curled up next to me. Missy is pure ornriness. She knows how to open cabinet doors...and she will go through the house and open every cabinet door.

katsrus
June 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
I have for boy kitties. Squeaky(he doesn't really meow he squeaks)~13 yrs, Bear Bear(almost lost him in a fire~he's spoiled, he is long hair orange tabby who looks like a teddy bear)~13 yrs old, Charlie(someone threw him away outside & my daughter brought him to my house~I had a kitty before named Charlie who I lost in the fire)~I think he is about 10 yrs old, Cashew(had a hard time with the name but; he is a little nut. And he is fawn colored~the color of a cashew)~3 yrs old. They are all my babies. I have always loved cats. Always had them around.

Janice Seagraves
June 23rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
I have for boy kitties. Squeaky(he doesn't really meow he squeaks)~13 yrs, Bear Bear(almost lost him in a fire~he's spoiled, he is long hair orange tabby who looks like a teddy bear)~13 yrs old, Charlie(someone threw him away outside & my daughter brought him to my house~I had a kitty before named Charlie who I lost in the fire)~I think he is about 10 yrs old, Cashew(had a hard time with the name but; he is a little nut. And he is fawn colored~the color of a cashew)~3 yrs old. They are all my babies. I have always loved cats. Always had them around.

I love the squeaky kitty. He sounds sweet.

We have two very friendly felines, both girls--Ninja and Suzu. Usually the neutered boys are friendlier than the girls, but not our girls. Especially Ninja, she's a sweetie.

Janice~

Miss Mae
June 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Now I'm not much of a cat person, never have been. We did have a tom years ago, and that was the most I've done with cats. While we kept him inside, he turned out to be a good pet. But once he escaped to the outdoors, he turned pretty wild. (Silly us, we were stupid and never gave a thought to neutering.)

I've matured since then. ALL our pets become sterilized when they reach the proper age!

HywelaLyn
June 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I am a horse and dog person, not a cat person - but I love all animals, and have taken in the odd waif and stray over the years. Currently I have two 'ferrel' cats, Milly and Molly, which live with our horses and have the best of all worlds. The Cat Rescue Society we got them from (to keep down the rats and mice) told us to put food down for them but not to expect to see much of them as they were wild and needed to be at a farm or stables because they'd never be tame. Well, they wind themselves round our legs when we first arrive, demand their food before we feed the horses, roll on their backs to have their tummies rubbed, sleep in the straw in the field shelters, in the tackroom or feedshed - and when Sue Jane, the owner of the land where we keep the horses, stays over at night in her trailer, they sleep on her bed! So much for 'ferel' cats, they run the show!

Janice Seagraves
June 24th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Now I'm not much of a cat person, never have been. We did have a tom years ago, and that was the most I've done with cats. While we kept him inside, he turned out to be a good pet. But once he escaped to the outdoors, he turned pretty wild. (Silly us, we were stupid and never gave a thought to neutering.)

I've matured since then. ALL our pets become sterilized when they reach the proper age!

Good for you. Its the responsibility of all pet owners should do the same.

I keep my pets, dogs and cats (don't have a dog now but did three years ago), spaded and neutered.

Janice~

Kaily Hart
June 30th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Janice,

Sorry I just saw your post. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how this forum works. Yeah, I know, it's probably the operator :). Your book sounds fabulous. I've always thought I might eventually write about an Aussie hero, but it might be a bit too close to 'home'. I used to live in California as well!!

Janice Seagraves
June 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hi Janice,

Sorry I just saw your post. Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how this forum works. Yeah, I know, it's probably the operator :). Your book sounds fabulous. I've always thought I might eventually write about an Aussie hero, but it might be a bit too close to 'home'. I used to live in California as well!!

Hi Kaily,

Thank you. So you live in Australia?

Janice~

Sapphire Phelan
October 7th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I am owned by two female cats, one elderly and blue-gray short-haired, the other young and a black tabby. Well, I should admit, the old one owns hubby, she tolerates me. LOL

Sapphire Phelan
http://www.SapphirePhelan.com
http://SapphirePhelansPassionCorner.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sapphire-Phelan/324399690647
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SapphirePhelansParanormalNewsletter

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.

Maria M.
October 7th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I am owned by two female cats, one elderly and blue-gray short-haired, the other young and a black tabby. Well, I should admit, the old one owns hubby, she tolerates me. LOL

Sapphire Phelan
http://www.SapphirePhelan.com
http://SapphirePhelansPassionCorner.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sapphire-Phelan/324399690647
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SapphirePhelansParanormalNewsletter

Go beyond the usual, instead take the unusual that stretches the boundaries and find romance with Sapphire Phelan's aliens, werewolves, vampires, fairies, and other supernatural/otherworldly heroes and heroines.

I loved you being owned by your cats and I know exactly what you mean :). Now I personally don't have a cat at the moment but I have had cats all my life. Most recently I tammed a stray who I named Boots from the white only on his paws that looked like little boots. Boots however found a femal friend who I could never get to come inside but did let me pet her so I named her Blackie short for Black Beauty. After those two hooked up we became a cat farm but when we moved I had to leave them behind but we made sure they were fed of course. Now I have a dog for the first time in my life who doesn't seem to know he isn't suppose to like cats so I am planning on getting a black cat to name Paranoia and have a Milo and Odis kind of relationship.