PDA

View Full Version : Stroll through a cemetery just for fun?

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 2nd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Walking around a cemetery gives me--not the heebie jeebies--but ideas. Today I strolled through one of the oldest cemeteries in my area of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. There were 22 soldiers of the Revolutionary War buried there- their graves decorated for Memorial Day. I read the names and dates. Some of them died in battle, but a few lived into the 1800s.

There they were, under my feet, and they had walked the same paths I walk...but more than 200 years ago. smilies/bluebutterflImagining what their lives must have been like is fascinating. I can see why tales of vampires and supernaturally extended lives are so appealing. We want to know what they knew and somehow touch them. Besides reading history, the only way to do it is through stories.

I guess that's partly why I like to write about genies. Their longevity far surpasses that of a human -- so it's a chance for me to describe the history and passing time they might be seeing.

Do you ever stroll through a cemetery just for fun?

CharmedGirl
June 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM
They do give you the heebie jeebies. I walked through one not long ago when we buried my grandad and even though I was with people I was still freaked.

Imagine at night it would be even worse.

Deslauree
June 3rd, 2010, 12:34 AM
I want to go to really old ones and walk around I think it would be interesting and maybe even educational or insightful. But my husband is scared to go.

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 3rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
They do give you the heebie jeebies. I walked through one not long ago when we buried my grandad and even though I was with people I was still freaked.

Imagine at night it would be even worse.
Hi C!
I've definitely been in some creepy cemeteries, too. In October, we were in Ireland and visited the cemetery where my Granny is buried. There was a very old, crumbling mausoleum in one corner of the cemetery and the ground around it was sort of caved in. My three kids were exploring and started to approach it. I got the weirdest, most intense chill that I'd ever gotten (well, actually since the last time I was in a different cemetery/similar feeling).

Anyway, I called them back. Granted, the hazard that my spidey senses was picking up on might have been the uneven ground where they could have turned an ankle. But I think there was something other....

(turns out the mausoleum, which was over 300 years old, belonged to a despised wealthy family from the area. curses?)

*cue scary music*

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 3rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
Hi Desiree,
Cemeteries definitely ARE educational- but can also be scary (see previous message :o).
I went to a fab graveyard when we visited friends in Cotuit, Massachusetts out on Cape Cod. It was an old seafaring town's cemetery and the inhabitants had the habit of writing a few lines of their own history, often in verse. These little tributes, along with the dates, chronicled a life of hardships, children who died, men lost at sea, but also long lives and many family members. Fascinating!

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
Oh, and Desiree, I don't know if you knew about my offer (a free copy of my latest book The Genie's Curse (http://www.sapphirebluepublishing.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=33&products_id=80)if you leave a comment in my forum). I left a thread about it, but technically you only had to leave a comment in my forum and not necessarily on that thread. Would you like a free copy of The Genie's Curse? I'll send it to you...

Deslauree
June 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah they could be creepy but something about a really old cemetary is creepy exciting. So many people fear them but have the utmost respect for them. I would love to go to the Paris Catacombs too my son brought pictures home to me and you can see all the walls made of human skulls. Ok I am a little weird.

Shelley Munro
June 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I like exploring old cemetaries. My sister and I always talk about one we visited when we were in Scotland. My husband wanted to look for one of his ancestors. We walked past the headstones and the grass was really spongy. Now that gave me a creepy feeling. We still laugh about it.

Shelley

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I agree Shelley and Desiree. You can definitely get creepy feelings in a cemetery and that's not a bad thing -- sort of like the scary thrill of a rollercoaster ride. As long as the soil doesn't actually start to erupt and blanched fingers push up through the dirt, I'm good.

There's an old, original cemetery in a nearby town here in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, that sits outside the town in the woods. For a couple of hundred years, the town's been using another cemetery, so that's how old the original is.

I've walked through the old cemetery and there's one part, I guess it's a particular family plot, that is set off from the rest by a fence of metal pipes that looks like it was erected in the early part of the 20th century. It's overgrown and neglected, even though someone tends the other gravesites. I've approached it a couple of times and, each time, got a plunge in my stomach and prickles in my chest. I think I'll go check it out again this week and report back. If you don't hear from me......:scardey:

Deslauree
June 12th, 2010, 12:15 PM
What is the creepiest cemetary you have been to? I have only been to the ones where we have family buried. When we lived in Portland Oregon the idiot city planners were going to dig up an ancient indian buriel site to build on to the Max (tram) I can't help but think I would never ride it because that is creepy and wrong on so many levels. They kept telling people they would move the remains and put them some where else but I cannot help but think that is just as bad. What I remember from school and relatives (whom are native american) those are sacred grounds it is in the earth and the 'magic' is still there and always will be. :scardey:

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 14th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I agree, Desiree- tampering with any cemetery or graveyard is NOT a good idea. The spirits of the dead can linger and any alteration in their resting place should be done with reverence or not at all (what I believe, anyway).
The creepiest cemetery I've ever been to would probably have to be the small and overgrown original cemetery in New Hope, Pennsylvania. Something is just not right there... But I also found the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery to be pretty edgy, though that might be because of the legend of the headless horseman. I almost expected to hear him come clip-clopping over the little bridge that crosses a stream through the cemetery and is overhung with gnarled tree branches (in the Fall.)

Deslauree
June 15th, 2010, 06:17 PM
But I still want to go and be totally freaked out. :elvis:

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 18th, 2010, 07:24 AM
But I still want to go and be totally freaked out. :elvis:
You should go to one of your local haunts, uh, I mean, cemeteries, Desiree! And report back...I'd love to hear if you sense any disturbances.
I'm planning on finally going this coming Monday to that creepy ol' New Hope cemetery I mentioned earlier. I'll let you know how that goes.
Meanwhile, my sisters--who are my cohorts in this unusual hobby-- have planned a trip on the 26th to the Boehms Cemetery. (http://www.wvalleyhs.org/flea_market_fall_2008/boehms_church_tour_2008/) There are three of us; we should be called the Gravesite Sisters. I'll take pictures (of the headstones, not us. We don't show up in digital images. mwah-ha-ha)

Deslauree
June 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I have to hear how that goes. :swinging:

brandyzbooks
June 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
No, I can't say that I have. I have had enough para normal experiences without going to a cemetary, lol

Cara Bristol
June 26th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I have gone through cemeteries for fun. it didn't particularly creep me out; of course, it was broad daylight. Change it to night or dusk, with long shadows, old drooping trees, and I probably wouldn't be there!