PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like Shorter Length Stories

GiannaBruno
June 3rd, 2010, 06:23 AM
To kick off June Jubilee here on my forum, I decided to post a link to Andrew Richardson's blog. He is a fellow Eternal Press author, a good friend, and a superb crit partner.

Andrew normally writes novels: bloodcurdling horror heavily based on Celtic myth and legend. But recently, he published "The Shoot," a novellete with Eternal Press that is very high on my "must read" list. It celebrates the essence of female friendship and the struggle of a young woman to accept her sexual identity.

Why did he write a short? Check it out: http://andrewjrichardson.blogspot.com/2010/05/in-praise-of-shorter-form.html

I write shorts but recently finished a novella The Journey. And I'm reading a few now. I find writing that length much less onerous than a novel, and they seem popular among romance readers.

What do you all think? What length do you like to read?

Kimberly
June 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM
It depends a lot on which mood I'm in. Do I want a nice short read that gets to the point or do I want to languish the book? Somedays, a short story works best for me. Some of the best books I've read have been less than 100 pages.

GiannaBruno
June 17th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Talking about quick reads and novellas, I just read The Scandelous Tale of Agnes Biggenbotten by Christopher Newman. It's delighful and seemed like the pages turned themselves. Yet, I love to get sucked into novels like Angel of Windword by Maggie Dove, or I Came Upstairs: A Victorian Courtesan's Memoir by MC Halliday.

So much to read, so little time....

smg5775
June 26th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I like longer stories because then the author has time to develop the characters and the story. Too often authors try to stick too much into a short story and I always feel like they've rushed the tale instead of building up to the climax of the story.

Cara Bristol
June 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I like them both. It depends on the subject/plot. More involved plots/relationships require novel-length stories. Less involved pieces can be covered in a novella or a short story. I've written all three (novels, novellas and short stories); I prefer to write novellas.

hollie
June 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I love a novel that i can really get into, and learn to love the characters, but....

i don't often have the time to give to a longer novel without it going into a weeks worth of reading.

also i have found that shorter books can be easier to read and no i'm not saying they are written to a lower standard, but just by the fact that there is less information in a short book makes it a simpler read, and as i'm having medical problems and soon having surgery shorter books are becoming my choice of read more and more.

brandyzbooks
June 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I like short and long stories. The only thing I hate for both is that if I am really into a story it always ends to quickly!!!

katsrus
June 28th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I don't like extremly long ones like Under The Dome. Boy was that long. I like them a little bit long and sometimes I like them shorter. Depends on my mood.