PDA

View Full Version : Dragons

Jane Toombs
June 3rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Why are dragons so fascinating to both readers and writers? They appear in many different ethnic groups' mythology looking much the same all over except that most Asian groups dragons don't have wings. In the West ours are winged. Some of us collect dragons. My collection is small, but in it is a wooden green dragon staring at me from the corner of the room where he hangs on a hook from the ceiling ever flying towards me as I sit at the computer. My other green dragon has amethyst eyes and purple wings to match and he's made from satin. He sits on my shoulder at book signings. So, naturally, I also write about dragons. Dragon's Pearl, the first book in my A Darkness Of Dragons Trilogy came out June 1 from www.devinedestinies.com. No green dragons in it, though. How many dragons do YOU have? Jane

Kimberly
June 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Oh wow! I don't know how many there are. I would guesstimate around 50 or so. I'm not sure what the fascination is with dragons, but I adore them. From movies to books to collectibles, dragons are wonderful.

Jane Toombs
June 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Kimberly: since you were the first to respond, you've won a download of Dragon's Peal in PDF. Pleasc contact me at joombs @jamadots.com (without the space.) Jane

hollie
June 4th, 2010, 03:37 PM
i have probably over 100 dragons i collect the little pocket dragons and have since my daughter was born 15 years ago, unfortunatly they are no longer being made so i keep looking at other kinds but haven't decided what to get so i am sticking to reading about them for now.

Jane Toombs
June 4th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Whoa, Hollie, that's a lot of dragons! If you'd like to send your snailmail address to jtoombs @jamadots.com. (without the space) I'll send you a CD with excerpts of all my books on it, including an excerpt of Dragon's Pearl. and an excerpt of the second book in the trilogy, Dragon's Diamond. Jane

Amy Gallow
June 5th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I'm not a dragon person, while our daughter-in-law has a bookcase full of little figurines of dragons, warlocks and the like, but I remember with great pleasure reading the books of Anne McCaffrey long ago.
Looking around my office, I see only one dragon. It is in a framed print of an old sea chart and has no wings. Below it is the legend, "Here there be Dragons", a warning to seafarers not to venture into the western reaches of the Atlantic Ocean.
To command a flying, fire-breathing, serpent of great power would be grand thing though...

bl0226
June 5th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I read my first dragon book this year. I read G.A. Aikens' first 3 books in her dragon series and they were great. Book 4 comes out this fall.

Jane Toombs
June 5th, 2010, 10:20 AM
AMY: If you'd like to send a an email to jtoombs @jamadots.com (without the space) I'll send you a CD with excerpts of all my books on it. Even to Oz! Jane

Jane Toombs
June 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM
blo226: Glad you've been turned on by dragons! If you'd like to send a snailmail address to jtoombs @jamadots.com (wihtout the space) I'll send you a CD excerpt of all my books. Jane

bl0226
June 5th, 2010, 11:35 AM
blo226: Glad you've been turned on by dragons! If you'd like to send a snailmail address to jtoombs @jamadots.com (wihtout the space) I'll send you a CD excerpt of all my books. Jane

Oh, thank you very much. I'll send you my information in a few minutes!

AnnaRose
June 5th, 2010, 12:22 PM
It's funny that you are discussing dragons - I have this old figurine that I usually keep on my desk and am fasinated with - it's of a tiny wizard waving his arms (like he's casting a spell) in front of a medieval castle on a hill, and there's this giant, screetching dragon winding around the castle, looking like he's going to swallow up the wizard! I used to make up stories about it - is this dragon something the wizard conjured up? A nasty dragon, or perhaps a protector? Where will it fly off to next? I love how the figurine sparks my imagination.

Jane Toombs
June 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM
That is an interesting concept, AnnaRoae. My mind immediately began weaving a plot. Shut if off, though. I've got too many series started now and my New year's Resolution was to finish the first story in every one of them. A Darkness of Dragons was the first series one I decided to do and the publisher I sent it to immediately wanted all three, , so I have to finish the third book (the second is in) before I start with the first in the next series. So the dragon winding around the castle will just have to wait in line. If you would like a CD with excerpts of all my books on it email me at Jtoombs @jamadots.com (no spaces) with your snailmail addy and I'll send you one. Jane

hollie
June 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Whoa, Hollie, that's a lot of dragons! If you'd like to send your snailmail address to jtoombs @jamadots.com. (without the space) I'll send you a CD with excerpts of all my books on it, including an excerpt of Dragon's Pearl. and an excerpt of the second book in the trilogy, Dragon's Diamond. Jane

oh wow Jane thank you
i love collecting authors things as much as my dragons, i don't get to meet any of you so i collect anything i can get usually book marks and things, i do have a few other CD's and even a 'lipstick~pendrive' i love all the ideas you all come up with for colectables.

Dawn Chartier
June 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM
The only dragon books I've read so far or Jade Lee's. But now I plan to add your dragons to my list too. Dragon's Pearl sounds great.

Dawn

Robbibird3
June 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Jane,
Anne MacCaffrey introduced me to dragons and I have every one of her books. Now her son writes about Pern's dragons. I just love fantasy aspect of dragons. I also enjoy Bianca D'Arc's series of dragons. I lost many of my treasures due to water damage while stored in the basement of my old home. But now I have over 300 books packed away or upon shelves. I'd love to check your story out.

Robin

yadkny
June 5th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hi Jane,
Nice to add a new author to my TBR pile. I don't know what the fascination is with dragons either but I am definitely a dragon fan.

yadkny@hotmail.com

Jane Toombs
June 5th, 2010, 07:51 PM
The only dragon books I've read so far or Jade Lee's. But now I plan to add your dragons to my list too. Dragon's Pearl sounds great. Dawn

Dawn: If you'd like a CD with excerpts of all my books on it, send an email to: jtoombs @jamadots.com (without the space) with your snailmail addy and I'll send you one. Janeand

Jane Toombs
June 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Robin: I loved all of Ann MaCafferty's books,too. If you would like me to send you a CD with excerpts of all my books on it, please email me at jtoombs @jamadots.com (without the space) and send me your snailmail addy. Jane