PDA

View Full Version : No More Dogs

Hazel22
June 4th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hi everyone,
I originally gave my interest as dogs when more rightly it should have been animals as, over the years, we have owned everything from hamsters to horses, but I must admit that dogs are my ruling passion – especially Labradors and Golden Retrievers. However, now that our daughter has married, we have downsized to dogs alone. Last year we had but one dog.

No more dogs! Definitely no more dogs! These were my husband’s words and I have to admit, to a certain extent, I agreed with him. Ten-year-old Lucy was to be our last dog. I was then sixty-three and my husband a very active sixty-four and we thought our dog walking days were behind us. We knew Lucy had a terminal illness and we treasured her all the more for it and remained firm in our resolve.

It took one phone call, just one phone call to put that resolve clean out of our heads. Pam, who had bred our first Lab, Tara, twenty-three years ago, phoned to say that her dog had had a litter. There was a shocked silence – we both knew what was going through the others head.

"OK, when do we go to look at the pups?" our daughter asked.

"We’re not!" I replied firmly.

Mollie arrived two weeks later. She was a little devil and a pure delight and Lucy adored her. Who said we were too old to have a new puppy? My husband? Me? Never!

Miss Mae
June 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM
She's gorgeous. I know what you mean. We now have four dogs, and by the time the youngest passes on, hubby and I will be past the age of taking care of them. (I fear for us aging and dying and having to leave our loves behind, not knowing what will become of them).

I'm determined to keep my resolve....I hope.

HywelaLyn
June 4th, 2010, 08:46 AM
It's hard isn't it. I've had dogs all life, and horses since I was able to save up enough money to buy my first. But there does come a time when one has to be realistic and as MM says, realise there might come a time when your beloved pet or pets could be left 'orphaned'.

hollie
June 4th, 2010, 09:01 AM
she is lovely and i can see sh eis going to be a handful but that is half teh fun isn't it?

we have 2 dogs a male springer/lab cross and a jack/american staff cross bitch. i have mentioned that i wanted to breed her and my daughter has already found a male jack for her and we have homes for 3 pups, the poor thing has only just had a season so it is going to be a while before plans move forward but hubby has been out voted on the breeding idea.

Hazel22
June 4th, 2010, 10:28 AM
She's gorgeous. I know what you mean. We now have four dogs, and by the time the youngest passes on, hubby and I will be past the age of taking care of them. (I fear for us aging and dying and having to leave our loves behind, not knowing what will become of them).

I'm determined to keep my resolve....I hope.
Exactly! That is my concern too but, luckily, our daughter is just as besotted with animals as I am and has promised to care for any we leave behind.

Mollie is a little monkey but she was diagnosed with Addison's in December and has quietened down quite a lot. Thankfully, the condition is well controlled and she is still a very happy girl. For the moment, our 'No More Dogs' rule stands firm, but, I can't imagine our home without a dog in it - only time will tell!

Hazel22
June 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM
It's hard isn't it. I've had dogs all life, and horses since I was able to save up enough money to buy my first. But there does come a time when one has to be realistic and as MM says, realise there might come a time when your beloved pet or pets could be left 'orphaned'.
You are absolutely right! I would hate the thought that she could end up with strangers. Apart from anything else, her condition means she would have to go to a knowledgeable home but, thankfully, my daughter used to be a veterinary nurse until the birth of her son and I know she would know how to deal with a crisis. It was she who took Mollie to the Animal Health Trust in December whilst we were on holiday and she was in her care. Without a doubt, we would have lost Mollie without her swift action. Our animals mean so much to us and we are heartbroken when they leave us.

Hazel22
June 4th, 2010, 10:52 AM
she is lovely and i can see sh eis going to be a handful but that is half teh fun isn't it?

we have 2 dogs a male springer/lab cross and a jack/american staff cross bitch. i have mentioned that i wanted to breed her and my daughter has already found a male jack for her and we have homes for 3 pups, the poor thing has only just had a season so it is going to be a while before plans move forward but hubby has been out voted on the breeding idea.
Clair (our daughter) has three Staffy crosses. Staffy/Lab, Staffy/??? both bitches and has just acquired a Staffy/Whippet boy. Like Mollie, they all have a unique temperament but are extremely kind. We love their little characters and the cheekiness that shines through. Daisy, the Staffy/Lab has just turned four but has never left her puppy ways behind. We know she will never grow up but she is greatly loved none-the-less.

Abby Wood
June 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Totally understand...the thought of not having the responsibility and being able to travel without worrying about a dog has its bonus points, but we miss having a dog around when they are gone.

I have three. A three year old St. Bernard mutt whose a big loveable kleptomaniac, a thirteen year old cattledog that is THE best dog all-around and was raised with my kids from day one, and a five year old half Australian shepherd/ half mystery. lol

I'm definitely a dog person more than a cat person...although we have two of those too. lol

Hazel22
June 4th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Totally understand...the thought of not having the responsibility and being able to travel without worrying about a dog has its bonus points, but we miss having a dog around when they are gone.

I have three. A three year old St. Bernard mutt whose a big loveable kleptomaniac, a thirteen year old cattledog that is THE best dog all-around and was raised with my kids from day one, and a five year old half Australian shepherd/ half mystery. lol

I'm definitely a dog person more than a cat person...although we have two of those too. lol
We usually travel without our dogs, leaving them with our daughter but I get terrible withdrawal symptoms and want to pat every dog in sight. Have to admit I'm a dog rather than a cat person too although we have owned both. As my daughter was a veterinary nurse, she brought every lame and unwanted animal home and I was secretly relieved when she married. Now it's up to her husband to stem the never-ending flow of unfortunates. For the moment, her home seems rather bare with just 3 rescue dogs, a rescue parrot, a cockatiel, a rabbit and several fish. No doubt she will soon find something else to add to the mix. Oh, I forgot to add my eight-year-old grandson who is equally as mad about animals as we are - He's constantly on the look-out for something else to rescue!

If you'd like to see more photos of my dogs, take a look at my website www.hazel-statham.co.uk (http://www.hazel-statham.co.uk) and you can see two of my 'girls'.

Hazel

Find the romance and elegance of Regency and Georgian England in books by Hazel Statham
www.hazel-statham.co.uk (mhtml:{FAD4863F-923C-42DD-A4C1-AECB3A9758B7}mid://00011818/!x-usc:http://www.hazel-statham.co.uk/)

Robbibird3
June 7th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Oh I definitely have that sentiment right now. Mainly because I cannot walk either of our two rescued mixed breeds. A soon to be 11 year old Lady who look exactly like a German Shepherd but is slightly smaller than a Sheltie. Shadow whom we were told was a labrador/ beagle our vet says no way it was a hound type that shares the same colors as a beagle. Because he looks like a lab sized beagle with a deep baying bark and after his fifth birthday he started having seizures.

I told my hubby No More dogs because he doesn't like taking them for walks and I cannot because they pull me and I need a cane for balance issues. I'm thinking perhaps a cat but hubby is not thrilled with the idea. But I have never known a time that I did not have a dog around me and I feel safer with one than without one. Maybe I'll get a tiny lap dog, surely they can't pull as strongly. Time will tell.

Robin

Hazel22
June 7th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Oh I definitely have that sentiment right now. Mainly because I cannot walk either of our two rescued mixed breeds. A soon to be 11 year old Lady who look exactly like a German Shepherd but is slightly smaller than a Sheltie. Shadow whom we were told was a labrador/ beagle our vet says no way it was a hound type that shares the same colors as a beagle. Because he looks like a lab sized beagle with a deep baying bark and after his fifth birthday he started having seizures.

I told my hubby No More dogs because he doesn't like taking them for walks and I cannot because they pull me and I need a cane for balance issues. I'm thinking perhaps a cat but hubby is not thrilled with the idea. But I have never known a time that I did not have a dog around me and I feel safer with one than without one. Maybe I'll get a tiny lap dog, surely they can't pull as strongly. Time will tell.

Robin

Hi Robin,

We seem to have similar problems. I can't walk very far either and the walking therefore is left to my husband. However, a few weeks ago I acquired a mobility scooter and now I can go on walks with them - great! It's something I've missed for several years as I was always out and about with our other dogs. Mollie could pull me over (even on the scooter) so my husband holds her whilst I ride alongside.

Your dogs sound lovely. We used to have a Golden Retriever that was not much bigger than a collie (I think she must have shrunk in the wash - :-)) I have to admit being a fan of big dogs. I tend to fall over small ones so a lap dog would be out for me. It's a family joke that a couple of Christmases ago I tripped over one of my daughters dogs and landed in a heap. However I still managed to keep the gateau I was carrying at the time in one piece and out of the reach of the dogs. Well, you have to get your priorities right, don't you LOL

Take care,

Hazel
www.hazel-statham.co.uk (http://www.hazel-statham.co.uk)

Jennifer Robins
June 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Sounds familiar. We've had German Shepherds for years but now, getting older makes them much to hard to take care of being big dogs as they are. We have one that is twelve and another at five. But....we got a little Yorkie last year, Ami Rose who has taken our hearts to another level. She's a hand full of fun and love even though we still love and adore our other two girls. but, once the big dogs are gone, I don't think we will get another one.

Hazel22
June 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Sounds familiar. We've had German Shepherds for years but now, getting older makes them much to hard to take care of being big dogs as they are. We have one that is twelve and another at five. But....we got a little Yorkie last year, Ami Rose who has taken our hearts to another level. She's a hand full of fun and love even though we still love and adore our other two girls. but, once the big dogs are gone, I don't think we will get another one.
It's hard to say no more dogs when they have been such a big part of our lives for so many years. There are times when I can see the benefit of being dog-less but the thought doesn't last for long. It's only when I'm wearing my 'sensible' hat that the idea appeals. If it had been left to my husband we would have been dog-less years ago as he has to do all the walking etc now, and, fair enough, I can see his point, but I think with my heart and not my head. I suppose, at some point, I'll have to give in to him, but it will be so hard. For now, I will enjoy Mollie whilst I can. Hopefully, the final decision is years away.

Regards

Hazel

hollie
June 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I have a lab/springer cross and i can't walk him but luckily i have teenagers who can and a i have a jack cross who i can walk but not far, i can through a ball down the garden for her and excerise her that way, when we lose Toby i wont get another bigger dog i'll stick to smaller ones, but i do want to breed my jack cross, just need to talk the hubby into it i've already got homes for some of her pups Laugh it Up fuzball

Hazel22
June 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I have a lab/springer cross and i can't walk him but luckily i have teenagers who can and a i have a jack cross who i can walk but not far, i can through a ball down the garden for her and excerise her that way, when we lose Toby i wont get another bigger dog i'll stick to smaller ones, but i do want to breed my jack cross, just need to talk the hubby into it i've already got homes for some of her pups Laugh it Up fuzball
Great 'energetic' mix a Lab/Springer. I bet he's raring to go all the time LOL Fantastic that you've already got prospective homes for the JRx puppies. One of the reasons my husband would never let me breed our Labs was because he knew I would want to keep them all, which wasn't at all practical. It's best to have owners lined up before the event.

Regards,

Hazel
www.hazel-statham.co.uk (http://www.hazel-statham.co.uk)

Jennifer Robins
June 7th, 2010, 12:35 PM
[quote=Hazel22;123985]It's hard to say no more dogs when they have been such a big part of our lives for so many years. There are times when I can see the benefit of being dog-less but the thought doesn't last for long. It's only when I'm wearing my 'sensible' hat that the idea appeals. If it had been left to my husband we would have been dog-less years ago as he has to do all the walking etc now, and, fair enough, I can see his point, but I think with my heart and not my head. I suppose, at some point, I'll have to give in to him, but it will be so hard. For now, I will enjoy Mollie whilst I can. Hopefully, the final decision is years away.

I know what you mean but for now I'll settle on the Yorkie because she'll be around much longer than the shepherds. God I hate the thought of losing them......I don't even like to talk about it.
As far as exercise, the Yorkie keeps the big dogs, especially the younger one running around like a puppy again.
Regards

Jennifer Robins

AnnieMarshall
June 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM
I have two corgis and we travel with them everywhere! We've even been to the beach! Thank the Almighty for LaQuinta hotels! LOL