PDA

View Full Version : Does an author really have time for a hobby??

CindyKGreen
June 4th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hey Readers and Authors out there!

Yes, so I've posed the question--'Does an Author really have time for a hobby?' (Or as my husband seems to think that writing is my hobby. Ha!)

I have a list of hobbies that I share with readers--I love to read, do photography, scrapbook, watch period drama's, research history, stay up to date on homeschooling.

But in reality, how much time do we authors have to spend on our hobbies?

Between the writing and the editing and the promotion and then the fun social activities which go along with being an author, when do we have time for a hobby? (Then of course there are those mundane activities like cooking, cleaning and paying bills. And, oh yeah, being mommy, wife, and in my case, teacher.)

Many of us are at different points in our lives with different responsibilities upon us, but I'd love to hear what authors have to say about their actual time spent on their hobbies

Kaily Hart
June 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hey Cindy, what a great question. I don't think of my writing as a hobby and it does tend to consume me. Add to that all the other things you mentioned competing for priority and I'm probably in negative territory! It's important for writers to fill the well though so its important for some other activities to make it in there somewhere, somehow. If you figure out how, be sure to let me know LOL!

Sandra Sookoo
June 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM
At times, I need to take a break from writing and everything that goes with it. During those times, I like to bake and cook or if I'm really stressed, I'll make beaded bookmarks :-)

KeriArthur
June 6th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I think it's very important to have a hobby--some interest outside of writing--otherwise I think we'd go insane! lol

I play at photography, but I've also become something of a fitness freak. I find heading to the gym every day not only frees me from the stress of writing, it also gets me out and talking to other people. (something I miss not that writing is my full time job)

HTKuehl
June 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM
I've been wondering the same thing! When asked what my hobbies are I freeze, and then mumble something about gardening. I used to say that writing was my hobby, and at one time it was, but now it's more like a job than a hobby. And I can only do the writing and the promo when my son takes a nap or is down for the night (have I ever mentioned I'm a SAHM to an 18 month old?)

Hobbies...I wish. :balloon:

bncaudill
June 7th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I do counted cross stitch but it takes me years to finish something. Usually because I can't do it with tired eyes and the kids eat up all my time. They never seem to sit still for more than a few moments.

Now I can grow roses easily. Because they grow with no help from me and the bit of upkeep can be done while the kids run outside. A much easier hobby to enjoy and the only major time effort is a weekend in spring and fall for upkeep.

maryeason
June 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Cindy, I'm with you on finding time for a hobby. It's hard. My hubby and I love to travel and have just returned from California and will be going to Colorado in a few weeks. But with edits and writing and promoting, writing is very time consuming, but definately worth the efforts.

All the best...

Mary Eason
www.maryeason.com (http://www.maryeason.com)

Kaye Spencer
June 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
My husband doesn't refer to my writing as a hobby any more. Not since we had a little:dizzy: "chat" and I showed him the error in his thinking. :wacko:

Remember that line in the movie, As Good as it Gets, when Jack Nicholson is at his wits end at the interruptions? (I'll paraphrase)

Never, never, interrupt me, okay? Not if there's a fire, not even if you hear the sound of a thud from my home and one week later there's a smell coming from there that can only be a decaying human body and you have to hold a hanky to your face because the stench is so thick that you think you're going to faint. Even then, don't come knocking.... don't knock. Not on this door. Not for ANY reason. Do you get me, sweetheart?

Well, that's how I feel about my writing. It's not hobby. Yes, I have a "day job" as a teacher, but that's why I take my writing so seriously...I want to quit my teaching job and write full time instead of nights, weekends, and summers.

I have many outside interests. I make time for movies, reading, drinking wine, walking, spending time with family and friends, and I even travel, but never, ever do I let people get away with calling my writing a hobby.

Not for ANY reason. Do you get me, sweetheart? :biggrin:

kaye

Shelley Munro
June 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I don't think of my writing as a hobby either. To me, it's a job, and I work longer hours than I've ever worked at other jobs. I actually think it's important for a writer to pursue outside interests. It's a way of refilling the creative well.

I was getting very stale and stressed about my writing, and this year I've made a conscious effort to do non-writing things on a regular basis. I get outside and walk or cycle. I cook and take photos of just about anything that moves. :)

Shelley

Amy Gallow
June 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM
In 1997, I resisted the word "retirement", preferring "career change" and I've always treated writing as a career, working, planning, learning, just as I have always done. It's paid off in satisfaction, some modest success, and a whole new range of interests, research being one of them.
Outside of writing, I have six grandchildren who demand attention, stories, cubbyhouses, the repair of toys their parents don't have the time or the skills to fix, regular golf games and an aging (like me) house that requires loving care (like my life partner).
I am as busy as I've always been, juggling too many balls, and having the time of my life (as I've always done).

Kaye Spencer
June 8th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I was getting very stale and stressed about my writing, and this year I've made a conscious effort to do non-writing things on a regular basis.

Shelley

I know exactly what you mean. It is important to do non-writing things to keep the words flowing. Photography is another great creative outlet.

kaye

Franny_Armstrong_PNG
June 9th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Hey Readers and Authors out there!
Many of us are at different points in our lives with different responsibilities upon us, but I'd love to hear what authors have to say about their actual time spent on their hobbies

Hi Cindy
You are write...uh, right in that there is little time left in the day for hobbies when you are a focused author, however, I do love to make stained glass windows and ornaments as well as design/create websites and graphics and a list so long I wouldn't have enough room.

Much of my time is spent as an author like you said and my hubby too thinks of writing as a hobby though he sees me attached to the computer 90% of the day working on it. I also do his office work for his company (for free unfortunately) and take time to play with my 2 dogs and 3 cats.

As a new grandmother, aka Nanny Franny, I love to spend some of my days taking care of family. That's more important to me than anything else.

Right now I'm doing final edits on two books that launch on June 18, also my June Jubilee Spotlight day, and July 3 from www.redrosepublishing.com (http://www.redrosepublishing.com)

I look forward to reading about more author's hobbies.

Hugs

Miss Mae
June 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I love computer games! LOL I guess that is one of my hobbies too. I absolutely crave those Nancy Drew first-person games, so many puzzles to solve, and all those new places to explore. Creepy, and fun! :)

Lisa Marie Wilkinson
June 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I tend to view anything not directly related to writing and promotion as a hobby at this point, LOL. Sleep can almost turn into a hobby sometimes.

I've always enjoyed movies and music and always manage to fit time in for them, even if I'm plotting the next scene I'm planning to write while watching a movie.

I'm in awe of those writers who manage to do it all...care for children, work full time, cook, manage their household, and even find time for exercise. I'm not well-organized enough to do it all!

Laurie2
June 10th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Cindy,

What an excellent question.

As an editor, and CEO of Black Velvet Seductions, and an author as well I do find my time is stretched incredibly thin. Luckily I have a supportive husband and no small children so there are not a lot of family demands. Even so, there are periods of time when there are deadlines, books to get out, email to be replied to, rejection letters and contracts to write, a blog to keep up with, and there just isn't time for my hobbies.

However I do find that I need the balance that hobbies provide. I do work very long hours...but I still find that I feel better, think more clearly, am happier putting in the long hours, if I get a little bit of quilting time...or gardening time.

The balance is important. I think without it one burns out eventually. I know I do.

HTKuehl
June 12th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I tend to view anything not directly related to writing and promotion as a hobby at this point, LOL. Sleep can almost turn into a hobby sometimes.

Me too, Lisa! By the time I'm finished all of my "duties" (housework, childcare, cooking, writing, and promo) I am more than ready for sleep! It's gotten to my point that it's my favorite time of the day, LoL.