PDA

View Full Version : My Almost Green Thumb

Tina Donahue
June 4th, 2010, 10:50 AM
A while back, when I lived in Anaheim, California (I'm in Palm Springs now), I had one of the few houses in the area where there was a sizeable back yard. It had a beautiful and very old avocado tree and some newer fruit trees (mainly lemons).

The first year there, my husband and I planted flowers like fools and bought all these house plants. One of the poor dears kept wilting on me no matter what I did. It was a delicate little thing with fernlike leaves. As I recall, it was called a Chinese something or other.

Feeling bad about not being able to get it to thrive, I thought I'd plant it in the back yard to see what would happen. Before I did, I poured these white BB-type fertilizer thingys (something called Osmokote?) that we'd bought at Home Depot into the hole. After damping them down, I snuggled my sick baby into the hole and crossed my fingers.

Less than a year later, it was over twenty feet high and was threatening the telephone wires (or so the City said).

Amazing.

I now believe in the power of fertilizer.

:jump:

BTW: My author day at Coffee Time Romance is June 7. I hope you'll join me.

Tina

<O:p</O:p
Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

THE YEARNING
Samhain – 2/2011 release date

ADORED
4 Stars Romantic Times
Second Place Winner NEC RWA contest
5 Siren Stones – Siren Book Reviews

DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS
4.5 Cherries - Nominated for Book of the Week Whipped Cream Reviews
5 Stars – Reviewer TOP PICK – NOR
5 Blue Roses – Rebecca Rose Blogspot
4 Lips – TwoLips Reviews

LUSH VELVET NIGHTS
Reviewer’s TOP PICK – the Pagan & the Pen
5 ANGELS – Fallen Angel Reviews
4.25 Stars - NOR
4 Blossoms – a page turner – Book Junkie

Deanna Jewel
June 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hi Tina!

Congrats on the plant growing so well for you!! Love Palm Springs by the way, although...not so much in July! Have a great friend there that we visit when we need to get away! I love being out in my yard and now own a home with beautiful landscaping but I just can't keep up with it! The weed beds, as I now call them, are threatening to take over. I get one spot weeded, sprinkle my weed preventer, spray grass/weed KILLER only where I can like around the bricks, etc and move on to the next area. If I don't look at the areas awaiting my attention, I'm fine but as I do my little clean up, I swear I hear the other weeds making fun of me! Does anyone else hear their weeds? ROTF I'm also sure they spit their little weed seeds back over to the areas I've already cleaned up!! LOL

But....since I just love being outside, I continue to weed when and as long as I can, making what little progress I can. It also allows me to continue on with plotting my novels as I pull my weeds. Thinking on this, I should take a note pad out there with me but then I'd be writing in the weed beds! Oh my!! Am I the only one who gets distracted? LOL

Have a great day gardeners! I'll pop back in so we can chat more. Hop over to my author corner (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=991) and comment there to get yourself in the contest drawing for a gift card to Home Depot! Don't forget to get in on my monthly website (http://deannajewel.com) contest also! Later fellow gardeners!

Tina Donahue
June 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hey Deanna -

Weeds are the worst. Lost many many days to them.

We also had a problem with snails. After awhile I got tired of trying to get rid of the little buggers...decided to keep them as pets.

:biggrin:

Tina

Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

THE YEARNING
Samhain – 2/2011 release date

ADORED
4 Stars Romantic Times
Second Place Winner NEC RWA contest
5 Siren Stones – Siren Book Reviews

DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS
4.5 Cherries - Nominated for Book of the Week Whipped Cream Reviews
5 Stars – Reviewer TOP PICK – NOR
5 Blue Roses – Rebecca Rose Blogspot
4 Lips – TwoLips Reviews

LUSH VELVET NIGHTS
Reviewer’s TOP PICK – the Pagan & the Pen
5 ANGELS – Fallen Angel Reviews
4.25 Stars - NOR
4 Blossoms – a page turner – Book Junkie

Deanna Jewel
June 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM
The little tell tail snail trails are what crack me up! Although I'd like to crack the egg that will get rid of them for good! They should eat the weeds and not our plants. I sprinkle my container of snail killer pellets but who knows if it works or not.