PDA

View Full Version : My main hobby isn't so far from writing historical romance!

marywine
June 4th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hey Folks-

When I'm off the leash...I love to sew historical costumes. I often joke that my best dresses are hundreds are years out of date but I wear them quite a bit. When my husband and I go to 'formal night' dinner on a cruise ship...we wear our victorian attire...Hey, they said formal but they did not give a year. I dare anyone to say I am not formal in my bustle and gloves!

I make a lot of my own patterns after doing research into the periods. Shopping for fabric is like an expedition through the jungle. You can see a picture on my Mary Wine web site...MaryWine.com

Have a great day!

Mary Wine
Dawn Ryder

Lisa Marie Wilkinson
June 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Hey Folks-

When I'm off the leash...I love to sew historical costumes. I often joke that my best dresses are hundreds are years out of date but I wear them quite a bit. When my husband and I go to 'formal night' dinner on a cruise ship...we wear our victorian attire...Hey, they said formal but they did not give a year. I dare anyone to say I am not formal in my bustle and gloves!

I make a lot of my own patterns after doing research into the periods. Shopping for fabric is like an expedition through the jungle. You can see a picture on my Mary Wine web site...MaryWine.com

Have a great day!

Mary Wine
Dawn Ryder

That's a wonderful hobby! I love period films because I love to look at the clothing. You must be a very talented seamstress. Some period costumes look very difficult from a pattern perspective.

You mentioned Victorian-era costumes...are there other periods from history whose clothing interests you?

Lisa Marie

Shelley Munro
June 6th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Mary,

I bet you make quite an entrance on the cruise ship! Do you wear all the correct under garments as well?

I've been lucky enough to visit the costume museum at Bath and they have some beautiful old dresses.

Shelley

marywine
June 6th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hey ladies!

I do 1550 and SteamPunk era costumes...the closets are a little full.

Shelly- Correct under-garments are a must! I study the pictures from Bath and several other sources to make my clothing. Trust me, a corset that doesn't fit you is a nightmare to wear. I'm always working on something new and the fitting is endless, weight shift is a major challenge. But I wear these costumes like clothing, I have no problem wearing one all day. My shoes were even made by a cobbler so that they are correct.

Mary Wine
MaryWine.com

Caffey
June 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi Mary! This sounds beautiful! I always have loved looking up the dresses of Regency, Victorian, Western etc! I remember once reading that they kept their dresses together on by using pins and they wore them that way! Ouch. I wished I had kept the links and find out when that was. I'll probably go search again and I'll get lost in this history! I just checked your site and beautiful!

Lisa Marie Wilkinson
June 10th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Mary,
What sort of costume "twist" turns a Victorian costume into a Steampunk costume? When you're creating a Steampunk costume, what do you do to make it recognizable as Steampunk? This is so interesting!

Lisa Marie