PDA

View Full Version : Harri

HywelaLyn
June 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Meet 'Pentrepiod Sovereign' - aka Harri

Yes, he's Welsh. A registered Welsh Cob (Section D) to be exact.

The Welsh Cob is the largest of the four Welsh native breeds of horse and pony. They are tough, hardy and very versatile. When I bought Harri he had always been ridden English style. The first time I rode him I asked his then owner if I could use my Western saddle on him (making sure it fitted properly of course) and she said she'd never seen him move more freely. He'll now go quite happily Western or English, although I much prefer the Western style and I think he looks really good in Western tack. Harri is a sweetherart, he's very good natured and if T'pau starts bossing him around he'll just give her a look as if to say 'Oh leave me alone you bossy mare' and just walk off. His motto seems to be 'why waste energy arguing,' one worth adopting, I think! 438

Caroline Clemmons
June 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Lyn, I didn't know people in the UK ever rode western saddles.

HywelaLyn
June 8th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Hi Caroline, thanks so much for stopping by. Yes, there is a growing interest in Western riding, in the UK, with two Western breed societies, shows and American breed societies.

I'll be talking about the Western riding and the differences between Western and English riding very soon.

Jenny Schwartz
June 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Harri's lovely. I judge horses by the question "would he let me rub his nose and feed him apples over the fence?" Harri looks like he'd be in heaven with the situation.

HywelaLyn
June 12th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Hi Jenny

Yes Harri is VERY affectionate he loves nose rubs (and bum rubs) and feed him an apple and he'll be your friend for life. I forgot to mention that i featured him in my muse story 'Dancing With Fate',along with my old mare Sal, who's saddly no longer with us.

T'pau will gladly accept an apple too, although whether she'll let you rub her nose depends on how she's feeling. but she can be very affectionate too.

Thanks so much for stopping by.

Diana Castilleja
June 12th, 2010, 02:43 PM
He's a good looking horse! I've ridden both, but really prefer western. I didn't realize there were different sizes of the Welsh pony breeds.

HywelaLyn
June 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Hi Christine,

Yes, the four sections (five really because geldings are classed as 'E' as well) are different in size and conformation. The Section A is the smallest (from 12hh to 12.2) the Welsh Pony is a little finer and up to about 13.2hh, the Welsh Pony of Cob type is actually a small Welsh Cob up to about 14.hh and the Welsh Cob can be up to 15.3" They all have a typically Welsh head, with large eyes set well apart, high tail carriage, a little fine, silky heel 'feather' and a striking trot which covers a lot of ground. They're also very versatile and can be used under saddle or in harness.

Miss Mae
June 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Both horse and rider are gorgeous! :)

HywelaLyn
June 14th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Aw, thank you MM, you're so sweet - and thanks for stopping by. I'm sure you'd love Harri because he's such a softee. He'll come up to you with his eyes closed, showing his teeth - and then give you a big soft kiss.