PDA

View Full Version : Eating as Research!

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Today, I'm heading to Brooklyn to meet a twitter buddy for lunch at a place called the Bedouin Tent. This is a Middle Eastern restaurant that serves things like lambajin and harira, and a delish dessert called basbousa. And apparently, the place is renowned for its pita, which is cooked on the premises.

http://morocco4u.com/images/harira.jpg
First of all, I love Middle Eastern food. Secondly, I can have a taste-tantalizing meal while taking notes for my next book. Genies, as you know, originate in the Middle East and I often send my characters there to engage, vanquish, pursue, or just join the jinn in a meal.

I'm hoping the restaurant serves a dish called kubbat maraq. I had to use my imagination when I included the dish in this passage:
Bethany picked up a golf-ball-sized morsel, yellow with turmeric, and bit into it. Savory heat from pepper and cumin spread through her mouth, stimulating her salivary glands. A flavor of lime tickled the sides of her tongue. Fried, ground lamb at the center, heavy with the aroma of onion and parsley, melted beneath the thick grains of rice. Bethany devoured the ball in two bites.

Eager to see how close I am in the description...

Anybody ever try Middle Eastern food? How'd you like it?<O:p></O:p>

Cara Bristol
June 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Years ago I had Moroccan food. I can't remember what I had; but I do remember I enjoyed it. As a kid, I was a "picky eater," but as an adult, I like to try different foods. My feeling is, if I try something new and I don't like it, it's only one meal out of more than 82,000 meals I'll have in my lifetime.

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Years ago I had Moroccan food. I can't remember what I had; but I do remember I enjoyed it. As a kid, I was a "picky eater," but as an adult, I like to try different foods. My feeling is, if I try something new and I don't like it, it's only one meal out of more than 82,000 meals I'll have in my lifetime.
Great attitude, Cara! That's how I feel about food. If you don't like, just don't eat it again, but at least you tried it. I recently discovered a local Mideastern restaurant. They're Egyptian, but a lot of the foods are similar to Moroccan and, anymore, some you can find at the supermarket. Hummus (made with olive oil and chick peas) is very popular here now, and tabouleh is easy to find (and delish).

At our local market, there's also falafel. You just add water to the mix, form into patties, put on a pita with cucumbers and plain yogurt and you've got an exotic dish!

Cara Bristol
June 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I forgot about hummus and falafels! Hummus is really popular around here, and when I was in college, there was a falafel place right around the corner from the university where all the students used to go. I guess that was my first intro to Middle Eastern food.

brandyzbooks
June 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have never had middle eastern food. There aren't any restraunts in my neck of the woods. We are luck to have Chinese.... I have always wanted to try it though....

Kellyann Zuzulo
June 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I have never had middle eastern food. There aren't any restraunts in my neck of the woods. We are luck to have Chinese.... I have always wanted to try it though....
Brandy, I love hummus... and it's so easy to make- has chick peas (garbanzo beans; you can get them in a can at the supermarket), olive oil, garlic, salt. You just puree everything and spread a bit on a corner of pita. Yum! If you want, I can send you a recipe for it and then you can say you've tried Middle Eastern food. ; >

brandyzbooks
June 27th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Brandy, I love hummus... and it's so easy to make- has chick peas (garbanzo beans; you can get them in a can at the supermarket), olive oil, garlic, salt. You just puree everything and spread a bit on a corner of pita. Yum! If you want, I can send you a recipe for it and then you can say you've tried Middle Eastern food. ; >

Okay my email is brandyzbooks @ Yahoo dot com