PDA

View Full Version : Easy to use?

Cara Bristol
June 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I'm a non-techie. Seriously, the only thing my cell phone does is make phone calls. But I want to get an Amazon Kindle. How easy is it to use, to download books? Is there anything I should know before I take the plunge and buy one?

Laurie2
June 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hey Cara!

Fancy seeing you here. :-)

Kindle is VERY easy to use...especially if you only intend to read books sold by Amazon. If you only intend to use it to read books sold by Amazon there is nothing easier. You buy the book at the Amazon site (or via the Kindle device). The books just show up on the Kindle's "bookshelf" and are there to read.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the sampling feature that allows you to send samples of books (usually the first chapter) to the Kindle for free. When you get around to reading the sample and want to buy it you can buy right from the Kindle...the ebook shows up and you can continue reading. (Though at least on old versions you have to find your place in the new ebook.)

The only problem I've had with mine is with the Amazon service that allows you to send in your own documents to be formatted and sent to the device. The service has been sketchy lately...so I'm reading submissions on my iPod Touch instead. :-)

Kindle is probably the easiest ebook reader you will find...especially if you stick with buying Kindle books from Amazon.

I do love mine.

Stephanie_Haefner
June 10th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Can't offer any advice on the Kindle, but I have a Sony Reader Pocket, which is a pretty basic reader. Nothing fancy about it...very simple to use. If you use the Sony Reader software and buy books directly from Sony, it all links right up...just plug into the computer and it syncs with the device. I have bought books from other vendors and once the file is saved to my computer, I simply click on it and "send" it to the device.

Cara Bristol
June 10th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Laurie, Hi Stephanie! Laurie, you mentioned Kindle is very easy to use especially if you buy from Amazon. I do buy a lot of my books from Amazon. But, what about if you buy direct from publishers, such as Black Velvet Seductions? Is it trickier then?

And here's an open question...has anyone who used both the Sony Reader and the Kindle? Any preferences?

Stephanie_Haefner
June 10th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I am not positive, but I think on the Kindle you can only buy books from Amazon...and the Nook, only from Barnes and Noble. This is the reason I went with the Sony Reader....I wanted to be able to buy books from my publisher directly....and any other site I wanted. Also, my library has tons of ebooks to borrow...I am not sure, but I don't think you can do that with the Kindle or Nook. Hopefully Laurie will come back with more info than I can give!! :)

Laurie2
June 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Cara and Stephanie,

I haven't used a Sony Reader so have no experience with that. I currently read on a Kindle and an iPod Touch. I actually like both about equally.

The Kindle is probably easier if you're really a non-techie...but the iPod Touch isn't difficult either...and with it you have the benefit of being able to do many other things, besides read books with the device...like listen to audio books, play music, play tons of games, keep your grocery list, your calendar, your photo album, etc. It is small enough to fit very easily in a pocket or in your purse, so it is easier to carry and more likely to be with you when you have an unexpected wait somewhere. There are thousands of applications for the iPod. There is a Kindle reader application for the iPod as well as one for Fictionwise. Stanza is also available for reading books...I believe in EPub format. iPod runs through iTunes...so you download your applications (Kindle reader, Fictionwise's reader, Stanza, etc.) from the iTunes store. The applications transfer to your iPod via a USB cord which connects with your iPod.

I do not remember how I set up the Kindle reader on the iPod...it seems like it was very easy...I don't remember struggling with it at all. I expect I was probably walked through it when I downloaded the Kindle ap.

When you buy Kindle books on Amazon they are in your bookshelf...and you can download them to your iPod Touch as long as you are near a wi-fi. The iPod keeps the last thing you were reading in storage...but doesn't keep your entire library on the device...but it is easy to go to your Amazon bookshelf and open whatever you want to read as long as you are near a wi-fi.

As for Kindle...yes, you can read books sold by other bookstores on your Kindle. I think that Siren-Bookstrand and All Romance Ebooks both have it set up so that they will send your Kindle format book purchases direct to your Kindle (once you have added their email address to your accepted sender's list on the managing your Kindle screen at Amazon.)

You can buy books in the Kindle supported formats (unprotected mobi.prc) from other bookstore or publisher sites and transfer those to your Kindle via your USB cable.

Kindle now also supports PDF...but some of the features of the Kindle do not work with PDF files...for example the text resizing feature. You can send your Word files, HTML files, PDF files to a special email that Amazon sets up when you buy your Kindle. They will then format the files into Kindle format and forward them onto your Kindle for you for a very small fee. If you do this with your PDF files they are then Kindle files and all of the Kindle features work with them. I have had some trouble with this service recently...so I recommend it with some reservation.

I don't know what type (format) of ebook your library has...or what digital rights management is applied. This will undoubtedly have an effect on whether you can read library books on your ebook reader.

Hope this helps. :-)

Laurie2
June 10th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Lovely cover by the way, Stephanie. I like the title too. :-)

Stephanie_Haefner
June 11th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks Laurie! :)

And thanks for all that Kindle info!! I really had no clue!!!

Another reason I got the Sony Reader Pocket was price....it was $100 cheaper than the Kindle and the full size Sony Reader. It doesn't have as much cool stuff but it does what I need! :)

Cara Bristol
June 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Laurie! Great information.

Laurie2
June 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM
You're both welcome. :-)

Sounds like you've found a reader you are happy with, that meets your needs Stephanie. I think that's great. :-)

Cara, hope you'll find something that fits your needs as well.

Laurie

Gwyn Lacy
June 29th, 2010, 04:56 AM
The six inch screen Kindle is at and all time low pricing right now--which is why I could finally buy one--if you want to check them out. Here's the pro's as I see them as a new user. You can order/purchase books (after you set up your account on Amazon) right from your reader (no computer needed) and in seconds your book is on your reader-but you have to be in a 3G network. They deliver the books by some kind of like mobile phone service that they don't charge for (no phone for clarity). I live in the rurals and drove into town and all my book orders downloaded in less than a minute. Once downloaded, you can read them. It will also read to you with that mechanical sounding voice--which is pretty good--great when I'm on road trips and can't read because I get car sick. It is light wieght and after a little bit I was totally into the book and forgot I was on the reader. Downsides: You have to be in a 3G network to download your books--even in the rurals you eventually drive to town-lol. It is light wieght, and there are covers to purchase to protect them, and some are really cute and others practical; but I chose my old Bible cover--Sad, but true--it's not likely to get stolen that way. I see the readers everywhere. It's great. So far that is all that is all the experience and knowledge I have. I also have a Sony 505 reader. I liked it too. It was heavier and I found I had to know technology and skills I didn't have to download a book with an ISBN number from another site and get it onto my Sony 505. When I ever I ordered straight from Sony, wonderful books and services.:clap: