PDA

View Full Version : Just realized I was supposed to be here today

StellaPrice
June 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hi All.

For those who dont know me, Im Stella Price and I write Paranormal romance and UF with my sister audra. Im also an award winning cover artist, executive director for the Authors After Dark convention and in my off time im a steampunk enthusiast. I make jewelry and accessories for costumes and every day wear, and theres a ton of it on my ETSY site. So I guess lets start there.

POP round to my shop, and take a look at what I do. then Ill take questions, and such.... Cool?

ETSY SHOP. START HERE (http://www.etsy.com/shop/stellaPrice)

Diana Castilleja
June 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Hey girlfriend! What's up? LOL :D

CharmedGirl
June 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Can you tell us a little bit about Steampunk?

StellaPrice
June 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
um sure? Steampunk means a lot of different things to different people. the more militant of them will say its Victorian era and forward where the world never went with the combustion engine and instead went with steam engine, providing a more healthy and safer mode of energy. Lemme get my cohort in here to explain a bit more.

Elizabeth Darvill
June 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hello! So I am suposed to explain what my definition of steampunk is? :)

Elizabeth Darvill
June 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
So I guess I am supose to be here explain what I think steampunk is? :)

StellaPrice
June 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Yes. Go. do your worst.

Elizabeth Darvill
June 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Do my worst? Do you really want to give me that freedom? Anyways....ok....steampunk, I think there is a lot of freedom to have fun in this sub-culture/genre. I am not keen on all the restrictions some people try to put on it, to me it is taking a time either, past, present or future and adding steam technology as an emphasis. You can do the traditional victorian era or wild, wild west type thing. I personally went far off the beaten path and placed my steampunk short "Love in a Time of Steam" on a different planet, thats whole technology base is steam powered. (insert shameless plug here) my book is coming soon through Tease Publishing as a part of their steampunk anthology "Love Like Clockwork".

As far as fashion goes, have fun with it. Airship pirates, explorers, society ladies. I also like to see people combine styles, I usually have a healthy dose of goth mixed in with my steampunk outfits. :) And as far as goggles are concerned, sure they usually aren't functional, but if you dig them, rock em!

Anyone have anything specific they want to know? I can sound like I know what I am talking about. :)

CharmedGirl
June 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
um sure? Steampunk means a lot of different things to different people. the more militant of them will say its Victorian era and forward where the world never went with the combustion engine and instead went with steam engine, providing a more healthy and safer mode of energy. Lemme get my cohort in here to explain a bit more.

Sounds interesting. It's just that Samhain Publishing will be releasing a Steampunk Anthology soon and I just wanted to know more about it.

StellaPrice
June 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM
ah well i didnt know about that. Tease will be releasing one soon as well, and our cover for the antho has two amazing steampunk enthusiasts, the owners and proprietors of Parliament and Wake. We got very lucky in getting them, and will have them on future steampunk anthos as well.

bl0226
June 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hello, All.

Thank you for explaining steampunk; I learn something new every day!

Now, I'm ready to read some books about it.

Tracey D

CharmedGirl
June 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Thank you for explaining steampunk; I learn something new every day!

Now, I'm ready to read some books about it.

Tracey D

Yeah I'm ready to read some books about it as well. It sounds very interesting.

Any Steampunk Romance books someone can recommend?

Elizabeth Darvill
June 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Here is the link for the Parliament and Wake website http://parliamentandwake.com/ It is fabulous and I am so thrilled to have them on my cover!

StellaPrice
June 9th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hmmmm.... Well lets see...

I dont recommend Katie MacAlister's Steamed. Im sorry and I know right now its the Premiere "steamypunk" out there in romance but I dont find it a huge example of what the genre could be. (And i LOVE Katie's work so its no personal crit on her either).

Avalon Revisited by O.M.Grey is out now, getting great reviews... and I think you will like Elizabeth's short thats coming out next month through Tease.

Liz? Anything else you have read that works?

StellaPrice
June 9th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Ooh Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series is good. Book two is MUCH more steampunk but OMG the books are great.

Soulless
Changeless
Blameless coming soon

Elizabeth Darvill
June 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I thought the steampunk elements were good in Cherie Priest's Boneshaker.

Elizabeth Darvill
June 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM
and I haven't read Thomas Riley yet, but I met the author Nick Valentino at the World Steam Expo and he was awesome...so I will give him a quick plug :) Here is his website http://www.sirthomasriley.com/about/

HywelaLyn
June 16th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I've always been a bit confused by the term 'steampunk'. I've read several brilliant stories classed as 'alternative history' and it seems much the same idea to me.

HywelaLyn
June 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Just been to your shop, Stella, gorgeous stuff, I love it!

StellaPrice
June 16th, 2010, 08:20 AM
thanks so much. Much of my stuff is OOAK so I try to make it interesting.