PDA

View Full Version : Welcome and what to expect...

kayelle_allen
May 31st, 2007, 08:06 PM
:welcome: If you've poked into this forum to see what the class/workshop is all about, you've already met the first prerequisite for learning. You're curious!

WHAT WE'LL COVER

1. The purpose of marketing
2. Getting material all in one place and how to structure it
3. How to prepare excerpts for maximum effectiveness
4. Creating a signature file
5. Putting together a fact sheet for each of your books

BONUS - How to create a review request to submit to reviewers.

INVITATION

While I have your attention... Teaching authors what to do about marketing, where to do it, who to do it with, and why, is the premise behind Marketing for Romance Writers. I founded the interactive "always free, never fee" workshop group to help authors learn how to better present themselves online. Please feel free to come over and join us. If you are interested in presenting a workshop yourself, please message me on this forum. When you sign up, tell them Kayelle sent you. :) It won't get you any points, but it will get you a lot more sympathy. =^_^= Here's the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MarketingForRomanceWriters/

HANDLING QUESTIONS

We're here to learn, so if you have a question or need that relates to marketing, please post it. Since the place is likely to be overrun with authors, no doubt someone will have an answer, suggestion, or solution. Likewise, if someone posts a question, feel free to respond. I'm the moderator and teacher, but by no means the final authority. I'll be online to check emails nightly, so you have a good chance of getting a response that will help. If you don't, message me on the forum.

DOWNLOADING MATERIAL

I'll be posting jpgs with some of the workshop material. Please DO download these and refer to them. I'm a visual learner, and no doubt many of you are too. I wrote the lessons around these jpgs, which are screenshots of actual folders, documents, and processes. If you can't access them, send me a private message on this forum and I will arrange to assist you offline.

SAYING HELLO
Please post an intro about yourself and tell us why you're here. If you can, please include the following...

Author Name:
Genre:
Booklist:
Publisher(s):
What specific area you'd like help with:

To start us off, here's a bit about me.

Author Name: Kayelle Allen
Genre: Erotic Science Fiction Romance
Booklist: At the Mercy of Her Pleasure, For Women Only, Wulf, and Alitus, plus The Last Vhalgenn (anthology A Time To... The Best of the Lorelei Signal 2006)
Publisher(s): Liquid Silver Books, Anthology on Lulu
What specific area you'd like help with: transitioning from epubs to print

Ok - your turn!

MarieNicoleRyan
May 31st, 2007, 09:31 PM
Hi, I'm Marie-Nicole Ryan and I write romantic suspense on the hot side. Former publisher: Wings ePress, Now with Samhain Publishing
Books: Too Good to be True, for Samhain, three more contracts signed.
The Man for the Job and See You in My Dreams for Wings ePress. The last one won Wings' Golden Wings Award for romantic suspense. The CTR reviewer gave both of them fives. :-)

My need is finding time to do all the promo. LOL

Karenne
June 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM
waves Hi I am Karenne and I just love your classes and like to learn. So I will be here (blushing) but probably lurking!

Thank you so much for giving this class!

Sapphire Phelan
June 1st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Author Name: Sapphire Phelan (I also write as myself Pamela K. Kinney in horror, scifi and fantasy and nonfiction)
Genre: erotic and non-erotic paranormal/fantasy/science fiction romance
Booklist: E-books: Crimson Promise, Wedded Magic, His Girl, Iridescent Invasion, The Curse (coming July 4th) and Beast Magic (coming to Phaze later this year), plus other upcoming romances writing now. Print: Soul Seduction in Forbidden Love: Bad Boys, Being a Predator is a Bitch in Forbidden Love: Wicked Women, The Dark Man in Forbidden Love: Sacred Bands (coming July 2007) and last three issues of Forbidden Love coming later this year.
Publisher(s): Phaze, Under the Moon, LoveYouDivine, Twilight Fantasies Publications and Lady Aibell Press.
What specific area you'd like help with: Not sure. Maybe do chats really help, or not? What works and what really doesn't.

Jude Mason
June 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Author Name: Jude Mason
Genre: erotica, romance, paranormal, D/s, gay, bisexual, lesbian, noir, horror, and the list goes on
Booklist: Dance of Submission, Island of Fantasies, Being Neighborly, Roses Have Thorns, An Acquired Taste, Pink Ribbon, Scorpio Tattoo, Stage Fright and a variety of short stories here and there both in print and online
Publisher(s): Ephemera Bound Publishing, Aphrodites Apples, loveyoudivine and Phaze
What specific area you'd like help with: The organization of promotions. I seem to hit and miss. I just don't know what works or where and when to do it.

kayelle_allen
June 1st, 2007, 08:36 PM
:teacher:

For anyone new dropping in, please feel free (any time during the month) to introduce yourself here.

You people are busy! Just look at these booklists... I'm honored that you've joined us, and pledge to share what I've learned. I'll be creating a new thread and posting lesson one in just a minute.

Keziah Hill
June 2nd, 2007, 03:59 AM
Hi I'm Keziah Hill
Genre: Erotic romance and erotica, straight, lesbian, contemporary.
Booklist:
Desire's Dream from Cobblestone Press
Playing with Trouble from eXtasy
Ghostly Desires from Forbidden Publications
Part of a print anthology called Cream: The Best of the Erotica Readers and Writers Association
Main problem? I'm clueless. I'm compltely intimidated by chat, totally confused by the huge number of Yahoo review sites and just feel like crawling into a corner and hiding. I need a plan.

kayelle_allen
June 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Hi Keziah! Australia! :rockon:

Plan... ah yes. We will be talking about that today! Welcome....

Liadan
June 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
I'm not a published author yet but have submitted work, just haven't heard back from the publisher yet.

I'm interested in learning more about the marketing aspect of the writing industry and can't wait to learn.

kayelle_allen
June 2nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Good for you, Liadan! btw, you were the winner on my group today for the mini drawing after Alyssa Brooks' chat. Did you know? Go check that out! :)

Karenne
June 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Congrats Liadan!:clown:

Tambra
June 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Hi Kayelle,
Thank you for teaching this and thank you Coffee Time for having this.
I'm Tambra Kendall I write paranormal erotic romance for Whiskey Creek Press Torrid.

Kayelle, my question/comment: I've been promoting on various sites the anthology I'm in, Summer Solstice Scorchers. In fact, I have my first author day, Monday, June 4. I'm also having a book signing set up.
I think I have a good start, but I'm open for suggestions. (Funds are tight for me, so any suggestions need to be cost effective.)

Thanks in advance everyone,
Tambra

gincat61
June 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Hi, Tambra! I'm with Torrid as well ("Loki Unbound," Gin Glynn, Torrid Division, Whiskey Creek Press, scheduled release date Mar 1, 2008.) Isn't this a great site? I could stay here for hours!

Tambra
June 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
I'm fairly new at posting. I mostly lurk. But, yes I do like everything here and I hope to be more active here.

My Celtic Love Knots 8 comes out February 2008 and I'm so excited about the CLK line.
I also have a CLK coming out in August 07.

We'll have to chat more often, Gin.
I'm really going to try and be here for the chat on Sunday for WCP/T authors.

Tambra

Liadan
June 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM
Thank you again Kayelle!

Just so everyone knows, I chose Alitus as my book. Lainey suggested it, she reviewed the book, so I chose that one.

pixie158
June 3rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
I'm looking forward to learning important things with the Kayelle's seminar. I write contemporary and romantic suspense for Wings ePress and Champagne Books. 9 have been published so far with 3 more in the offing. Carol McPhee:notworthy:

torrentwaters
June 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
Author Name: Shandy Sanford
Genre: Fantasy Thiller Romance
Booklist: I just signed a contract for a novella, called Black Calla
Publisher(s): Mardi Gras Publishing
What specific area you'd like help with: Chatting, and well everything to with promoting

deniserossetti
June 3rd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Hi Kayelle

Thanks for giving us your time - which brings me to my problem. I have a day job and I also have to WRITE! So how to find the time and how to be most effective? I'd like to reach new readers. I suspect I spend a lot of time preaching to the choir.

As for the rest...

Author Name: Denise Rossetti
Genre: Erotic & fantasy romance
Booklist: Gift of the Goddess (EC); Tailspin (EC); Come Howling (Cavemen anthology, EC); Coming On Strong (A Red Hot New Year, Avon Red anthology)
Publisher(s): Ellora's Cave, Avon Red, Berkley Ace (still coming!)

Denise

Karenne
June 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
(hands Denise coffee) We are so glad you are here.:balloon:

DLayers
June 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Author Name: Diane Layers
Genre: Science Fiction, Fiction, and scripts. Both erotic and non-erotic.
Booklist: Evolution's Dice; Deceit and Destiny
Publisher(s): Extasy Books
What specific area you'd like help with: Promoting and breaking into the print market. EDIT to add, what to do when your work or theme of the work "scares" publishers. IE: they fear political implications or possible backlash.

HH Self
June 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Thought I would just be lurking but since that didnít work out guess I should do the intro part.
I publish under the name HH Self some of you will also know me as Vincent Steel. The only thing constant about my genre is the erotic romance thread within them. They may be paranormal, suspense, western, contemporary or what ever happens to pull me itís way.
The titles I have out are Open Door, Whispers, Reflections, and The Hunted. Sex on the Beach will be out this September.
I have work published with Midnight Showcase, Whiskey Creek Torrid, and in one of Justus Rouxís anthologies.
Thank you Kayelle and Coffee Time for doing this.
www.hhself.net

dkeratsis
June 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Hello all! My name is Dina Keratsis and I'm a romance author. My books are contemporary but all incorporate a bit of history and a bit of magic.

Booklist: Cake, Fairy Tale (May 2007); Kicking Sideways (September 2006); Charlesgate (January 2005), all from Wings ePress.

What specific area you'd like help with: Hmmm...spring cleaning, parenting, dieting, adult acne, controlling two insane English Pointers, ending my adolescent crush on Eddie Vedder...oh...you mean writing and promoting? Just about everything.:)

Dina
http://www.dinakeratsis.com (http://www.dinakeratsis.com/)

kayelle_allen
June 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Thought I would just be lurking but since that didnít work out guess I should do the intro part.
I publish under the name HH Self some of you will also know me as Vincent Steel. www.hhself.net

Well hello! Yes, I do know you under that name. Nice to meet again. :rockon:

kayelle_allen
June 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
Author Name: Diane Layers
Genre: Science Fiction, Fiction, and scripts. Both erotic and non-erotic.
Booklist: Evolution's Dice; Deceit and Destiny
Publisher(s): Extasy Books
What specific area you'd like help with: Promoting and breaking into the print market. EDIT to add, what to do when your work or theme of the work "scares" publishers. IE: they fear political implications or possible backlash.

You have me very curious about your topic! Some of the best sci fi is quite controversial regarding political subjects. Do you have a website?

kayelle_allen
June 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hello all! My name is Dina Keratsis and I'm a romance author. My books are contemporary but all incorporate a bit of history and a bit of magic.

Booklist: Cake, Fairy Tale (May 2007); Kicking Sideways (September 2006); Charlesgate (January 2005), all from Wings ePress.

What specific area you'd like help with: Hmmm...spring cleaning, parenting, dieting, adult acne, controlling two insane English Pointers, ending my adolescent crush on Eddie Vedder...oh...you mean writing and promoting? Just about everything.:)

Dina
http://www.dinakeratsis.com (http://www.dinakeratsis.com/)

Well, you could try Puppies for Dummies - that helped me with my dog even though she was fully grown. :err: As for the rest... I'm sure the writing and promo questions we can tackle as we go!

DLayers
June 4th, 2007, 09:28 AM
You have me very curious about your topic! Some of the best sci fi is quite controversial regarding political subjects. Do you have a website?

No website.

I run into problems with statements or comments, similar to the following.
ď...the alien watchers remained in their lofty perch stunned and hidden, fearful of the humans below as they danced around the burning an stinking fire of their own making. Those humans threw canisters of flammable liquid on a caged wild animal then lit it on fire and began to dance around the raging stinking inferno joyously, unmoved by the caged animals screams of terror and pain ..."

It's items similar to that, I have experienced, editors and publishers asking me to cut from the work. Some did not even like the idea that I looked at humanity as animal fodder, which we are in some agendas.

In my last attempt to entice a publisher to publish "Evolution's Dice", due to previous comments and notes of rejection, I completely rewrote the work. It's not anywhere near as harsh of humanity as it was before. That is not my publishers doing, it's my doing, by experience.

DL

ValerieEverhart
June 4th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Author Name: Valerie Everhart
Genre: romantic suspense, paranornal romance

I have a submission into Samhain for their Strangers in the Night Anthology and am now waiting....I hate waiting, LOL
What specific area you'd like help with: All aspects of marketing I need help with.

Thanks Kayelle for offering this class, it sounds so exciting, can't wait to dig in! :notworthy:

kuroisama
June 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
SAYING HELLO
Please post an intro about yourself and tell us why you're here. If you can, please include the following...

Author Name:
Genre:
Booklist:
Publisher(s):
What specific area you'd like help with:

To start us off, here's a bit about me.

Author Name: Kayelle Allen
Genre: Erotic Science Fiction Romance
Booklist: At the Mercy of Her Pleasure, For Women Only, Wulf, and Alitus, plus The Last Vhalgenn (anthology A Time To... The Best of the Lorelei Signal 2006)
Publisher(s): Liquid Silver Books, Anthology on Lulu
What specific area you'd like help with: transitioning from epubs to print

Ok - your turn!
Doing things a little backwards. I did a post already and now I'm introducing myself. Teehee... oops. Probably pays to read these things in order.

Author Name: D. Renee Bagby
Genre: Interracial Romance in Fantasy, Sci-fi, and Paranormal
Booklist: Adrienne (2007 July) and Serenity (2008 March)
Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
Specific Area: Whatever you feel like telling me, I'm all ears...eyes...whatever. :)

Tambra
June 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Hey Valerie,

Nice to see a friend here!
I can't wait to sub to Samhain. I have friends pubbed there and they love them.

Tambra Kendall

Tracy Goodwin
June 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Hi!

I'm Tracy and my debut novel, Dance with Deception, is being released this November by LBF Books.

I'm excited about this class! Thanks for your wisdom :turned:

kayelle_allen
June 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
In my last attempt to entice a publisher to publish "Evolution's Dice", due to previous comments and notes of rejection, I completely rewrote the work. It's not anywhere near as harsh of humanity as it was before. That is not my publishers doing, it's my doing, by experience.

This is a good example of the difference between a writer and a publisher.

The publisher wants to sell stories to make money.
The writer wants to sell stories to a) tell their version of a truth and b) make money. Most writers would rather make less money than shave off part of the truth.

Publishers usually don't feel that way. They have to stay in business, so they are very picky what they offer to their demographic. (A statistic characterizing human populations or segments of human populations broken*down by age or sex or income etc.)

Bottom line is the bottom line. If the publisher offers a book that does not appeal to their demographic readers, they will lose money. They may lose part of their reputation if they cease to offer the style of books their demographic wants. For example, if Ellora's Cave - one of the premiere erotica publishers on the web - suddenly started offering children's books. Their readers are mostly women who are looking for a hot time. Buying a child's book is not something most of them want to even think about when they're cruising an erotica website. Even if they're mommies.

The point here is to find a publisher who specializes in what you are trying to sell. The writer who writes kids books is wasting his/her time subbing to EC.

You are most likely targeting the wrong publishers and/or genres.

In-depth marketing research is what will help you find your publisher. May I make a suggestion? I've taken several classes from the AuthorMBA group. This is their blog - I read it every day. It's amazing. http://authormba.blogspot.com/ and here is the schedule for their classes. http://www.authormba.com/workshop_schedule.htm

Each class is tailored to a small group and you get one on one attention. Classes range from $16 to $49. I just took the latter one (Career Master) and it was worth 5 times that. (shh don't tell them I said that!) :) Believe me, I do not get a dime from telling you about them. It's just that I am so impressed by what they offer that I want to share it with everyone.

You may also want to consider a critique group or partner. Sometimes it's difficult for me to know when I'm over the top on something. Having a crit buddy can be a lifesaver. Google critique +horror and see what you find. And the best of luck!

AdelleLaudan
June 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Author Name: Adelle Laudan

Genre: mult genre Biker Fiction/Romance, Contemporary, Tween Mystery

Booklist: Juliana, Destination Unknown, Dee Days (Book1 of Dee Day Mystery Series), IronHorse Rider and coming soon, Smiling Eyes and Dee Nights

Publisher(s): Forbidden Publications, MardiGras Publishing, Wild Child Publishing and Freya's Bower Publishing

What specific area you'd like help with: To blog or not to blog?? If yay, where do we promote our blogs to increase traffic.

Thanks for being here.

kayelle_allen
June 5th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Author Name: Adelle Laudan

What specific area you'd like help with: To blog or not to blog?? If yay, where do we promote our blogs to increase traffic.

Thanks for being here.

Welcome! Blogging - what a great question... Bottom line, don't start it if you're not going to keep it up. Nothing worse than reading a great little blog and then finding out it hasn't been updated for 40 days. If the author of the blog isn't interested in it, why should anyone else be?

I had a great blog going which quickly faded into oblivion due to deadlines and other hassles of life. I finally realized something had to go - so I ditched the blog in favor of cranking up MySpace and my group. I write every day, but it's on my books and sites - and doing projects like this one.

So, if you are a journaler who can always think of something to say, by all means blog. If your heart isn't in it, don't feel guilty - just find another avenue for promo.

How to raise traffic? Take a cue from Lori Devoti, who is using her blog to feature a contest that will likely cause a meltdown on her blog server. http://www.loridevoti.com/blog This is a really good way to draw attention. I'd like to know how she wangled this, by the way. :rockon:

Any other good blog ideas?

AdelleLaudan
June 6th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks!

I agree. I need to decide, what's working and what's not working. I guess the smart thing to do is focus on a few select things rather than try to spread myself too thin.

I'm fairly new to the industry so am learning by trial and error. I really appreciate workshops like this.

Thanks again!

Adelle Laudan

Karenne
June 6th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Plus..don't forget all of the free stuff out there!:winkiss:

Sascha_Illyvich
June 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Author Name: Sascha Illyvich
Genre: Erotica/Paranormal ROmance/BDSM
Booklist: "His Reign" A Christmas Favor, Her Male Slave, Mistress Anna and other Erotic Tales, For Her Will, Dark Traders, Sensualities,
Publisher(s): Silk's Vault, REB
What specific area you'd like help with: Everything I suck at marketing!

Thanks for the chat btw :)

S

HH Self
June 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Plus..don't forget all of the free stuff out there!:winkiss:
An excellent point. A lot of great promotion can be had at sites like Coffee Time Romance for free. Think I will start making a list of these and put it in that new well organized folder system I haveÖok Iím working on.

HeartFelt Promos
June 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Kayelle
It's Karen the other half of Coffee Time Romance.
I will be in and out.
Love the class.
mmm I write paranormal. I love the dark side.

Auburnimp
June 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Hi I'm Auburnimp. I have a book coming out from Mojocastle Press in October and another series of shorts contracted to the same publisher. I also have a series co written with Michael Barnette also contracted to Mojo and a fantasy title submitted to Changeling press.

I want to learn the best ways to sell my work.

Karenne
June 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Welcome to our group!!! Kayelle is a great teacher...you will learn lots!

kayelle_allen
June 9th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Author Name: Sascha Illyvich
Genre: Erotica/Paranormal ROmance/BDSM
Booklist: "His Reign" A Christmas Favor, Her Male Slave, Mistress Anna and other Erotic Tales, For Her Will, Dark Traders, Sensualities,
Publisher(s): Silk's Vault, REB
What specific area you'd like help with: Everything I suck at marketing!

Thanks for the chat btw :)

S

May I just say belated welcome to you - and thanks for posting your titles. I can see I need to go prowl thru your booklist! Very interesting titles...

kayelle_allen
June 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hi I'm Auburnimp. I have a book coming out from Mojocastle Press in October and another series of shorts contracted to the same publisher. I also have a series co written with Michael Barnette also contracted to Mojo and a fantasy title submitted to Changeling press.

I want to learn the best ways to sell my work.

Hello darlin'! Glad to have you here. :)

kayelle_allen
June 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Hi Kayelle
It's Karen the other half of Coffee Time Romance.
I will be in and out.
Love the class.
mmm I write paranormal. I love the dark side.

Terrific to have you here. I tend to see Karen/Karenne as group owners and mods and forget the other side of their personalities. :) Nice to be reminded that we are all in this together.

Welcome.

annecain
June 18th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I'm late to the party (and what else is new? :p), but I'll be reading through all the threads to catch up. Thanks for doing this, Kayelle--you have so much great advice to share!

kayelle_allen
June 18th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I'm late to the party (and what else is new? :p), but I'll be reading through all the threads to catch up. Thanks for doing this, Kayelle--you have so much great advice to share!

I have some extra special bragging rights to share about Anne Cain, so I hope she doesn't mind if I tell you! My last book, Alitus, had a character who was an artist and had been a friend of the hero's as a child. Her name was Anne, so I was able to get Anne Cain's permission to step into the Tarthian Empire and be a character. :rockon:

She even created some exclusive art for the character's shop, which is posted on my website. Check it out.
http://kayelleallen.com/yutaiart.html

Ok ... getting down from soapbox now and turning out the light. :biggrin:

lkhunsaker
June 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I imagine I'll be lurking off and on as I can but thought I'd leave my hello and say thanks for running this class!

Author Name: LK Hunsaker
Genre: Literary Romance
Booklist: Finishing Touches (2003), Rehearsal: A Different Drummer (2006), Rehearsal: The Highest Aim (coming 2007), and a few published poems and short stories along with about 3-4 other novels in progress
Publisher(s): Infinity Publishing
What specific area you'd like help with: any general info that might help! I'm considering branching out into ebooks this fall with Finishing Touches.

:turned: Loraine

kayelle_allen
June 22nd, 2007, 08:43 PM
I imagine I'll be lurking off and on as I can but thought I'd leave my hello and say thanks for running this class!

Author Name: LK Hunsaker
Genre: Literary Romance
Booklist: Finishing Touches (2003), Rehearsal: A Different Drummer (2006), Rehearsal: The Highest Aim (coming 2007), and a few published poems and short stories along with about 3-4 other novels in progress
Publisher(s): Infinity Publishing
What specific area you'd like help with: any general info that might help! I'm considering branching out into ebooks this fall with Finishing Touches.

:turned: Loraine

Welcome! I see your name all over the net, so it's an honor to have you here.