PDA

View Full Version : Defiant Dancer

kmtolan
June 15th, 2010, 01:01 PM
This is the third in my "Dancer" series, and it makes its debut on this board as a great way to let folks see what happens when your book gets accepted (I just got the contract offer from Champagne Books).

In my offer package came a form I will fill out explaining what I would like for a cover. The graphic artist (hopefully Amanda Kesley) will use it as a guide - unless overruled by my publisher. I'm thinking an aquatic scene this time to contrast with Rogue Dancer's arid badlands.

Judy Gill is going to be my editor. She did some wonderful work with Todd Hunter's "Friends In Deed" SF novella.

The blurb will also be asked for - the lead is going to be Rulers try to suppress her. Humans attempt to kill her, and a powerful male seeks to possess her. They should have known better.

Fun stuff. Like the rest of my novels, we'll probably shoot for a December release. The first phase of publication will be hard work between myself and my editor as we iron out the final wrinkles.

Kerry

kmtolan
June 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM
Just sent the idea I have for the cover on to Champagne. Hoping for something aquatic this time in order to contrast with the badlands presented in Rogue Dancer. It will give Amanda a chance to render something sexy if she wishes - though Mikial tends to be sexy in a rather feral way (grin). As with the last novel, such a cover would reflect an actual scene more or less.

Marketing is the big consideration here, although not to the expense of diverting totally from the storyline. My publisher has the last word, of course, but has been very willing to keep me in the loop.

Kerry

brandyzbooks
June 21st, 2010, 09:24 PM
I hope u get what u want...

kmtolan
June 23rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
In what has to be the fastest editor turn-around I've seen, Judy has completed her editorial pass with some nice comments and only a little red ink. I made the corrections and Defiant Dancer is now on its way to the next stage - copy editing and cover.

kmtolan
September 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Cover art has been started, with two rough drafts sent by the publisher for my consideration. While the publisher always has the final say, I am allowed input. Both drafts, provided by Amanda Kesley, were encouraging. I made my suggestions and now am waiting for the final result.

Kerry

Dani
September 20th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Good luck Kerry!

kmtolan
November 4th, 2010, 03:16 PM
http://www.kmtolan.com/dd.jpg

Dani
November 5th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Wicked cover! Congrats!! :biggrin:

kmtolan
December 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
The book is now available at http://champagnebooks.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=362

It will be held exclusively at Champagne Books for the first month before a general release.

Kerry

smilies/fam03.gifsmilies/fam03.gif

Dani
December 9th, 2010, 08:37 PM
:whoohoo: Congradulations!

kmtolan
January 5th, 2011, 04:46 PM
And now, "Defiant Dancer" joins its two sister novels in the series with Champagne Books nominating it as a Finalist in their Best Book of 2010. "Rogue Dancer" went on to become Champagne Book's Novel of the Year for 2009.