PDA

View Full Version : Do you skip over long descriptive parts in novels???

Stacey Kennedy
June 21st, 2010, 09:05 PM
The question nagging at me lately...

When you hit a part in a novel that is really descriptive. Do you actually read it or skip over it?

Truthfully, I've never been able to get through it. I love dialogue, thoughts, but descriptions about places, things, endless conversations about nothing particular - I could care less about.

Sometimes, it seems like just a filler - a way to get the word count up and I wish they'd just keep it out. Give me a smaller, faster paced novel where I can imagine things for myself and I'm one happy reader.

So, what's your take on it??

s7anna
June 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM
I've been guilty of skimming over too long descriptions of a place or even an outfit...

Stacey Kennedy
June 21st, 2010, 09:55 PM
Glad to know I'm not alone!! I'm really interested to see how many readers do this. Might be a surprise to know just have many of us could do without it ;)

GiannaBruno
June 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Depends. If it's overly complicated and distracting me from the action, yes. Sci fi does that a lot. But if the author chooses the right details it holds my interest. Oh yeah, if it's gore, I've been known to skip entire chapters.

Stacey Kennedy
June 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM
Totally agree with you Gianna! If it's necessary then I'm all for it. But sometimes I'll skip pages at a time and feel like nothing had even changed. It's just boring!!

Daniella Ivette
June 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
The question nagging at me lately...

I love dialogue, thoughts, but descriptions about places, things, endless conversations about nothing particular - I could care less about.

Sometimes, it seems like just a filler - a way to get the word count up and I wish they'd just keep it out.

That often happens to me with Stephenie Meyer's books - not bashing the author, just stating a fact! - For example, with "The Host" I was wishing she could just get to the point already! I think that the book could've been about 100 pages shorter if she'd done that (and I a happy camper!)

GiannaBruno
June 2nd, 2011, 10:24 PM
It depends. If its something I feel is interesting in its own right or relevant to the action, yes I will read it. But if my attention lags and I find myself reading a sentence over and over to figure out what is going on, I move on as well.

I am lucky to have crit partners who let me know that I've overdone something, often at the expense of something else.

mizztara71
June 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
I'm guilty as well.

romancereader
August 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
:p I would say it depends on the book I am reading like a textbook I will skim along but for a book I would actually read the whole thing.:huepfen017:

Stacey Kennedy
August 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
:p I would say it depends on the book I am reading like a textbook I will skim along but for a book I would actually read the whole thing.:huepfen017:

LOL! Textbooks are a definite skim over!! ;-)