PDA

View Full Version : Runic Hiking Staffs

ElisabethJason
June 1st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone! What a wonderful idea to share our hobbies here...:-)

I have a ton of hobbies, to be honest, and pursue them sporadically, at best, but my newest one is creating runic hiking staffs. As soon as I get some pictures done, I'll post them...:-)

Basically, I find a sturdy five or six foot branch, strip it, let it dry for about a month, and then use a soldering iron to adorn it with runic symbols spelling out a message, name, power words, or personal sentiments. After that, I stain the staff and let it dry again. Once that's done, I go to the hobby store to pick some beautiful feathers, beads, and leather strings to decorate the top of the staff. My first one reminds me of a shaman's wand, only quite a lot bigger...lol

Anyone else into woodworking of any kind?

Besties,
Beth
www.myspace.com/elisabethjason (http://www.myspace.com/elisabethjason)
www.freewebs.com/elisabethjason (http://www.freewebs.com/elisabethjason)

Because every woman deserves a knight to herself!

Lainey
June 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
NOT MANY KNOW RUNES BUT many know walking staffs I hope especially with Lord of the Rings and our wizards and all their staffs even with Harry Potter... but dang that is so great you hand make them ... so do you just collect them as you do them or do you display them or sell or give them away I wonder to friends and family. I would love to see some pics of those you have completed I bet they look fantastic.

Lainey

JH_Bográn
June 1st, 2007, 04:17 PM
WOW, that is so great! Never met anybody who could do that besides some Hollywood prop-master (not that I personally know any).

A few centurias ago I was a member of the Boy Scouts, I remember we used to have staffs as part of out attire, specially for hikes and they doubled up as columns for our tents. Never thought of decorating them, it would have been a blast in my patrol. hehehe.

ElisabethJason
June 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for your replies, Lainey and Bogran! Had to grin at the hollywood props people thing...I wish I were that talented...lol. I have only made three staffs so far, so I still need a lot of practice. I figure by the time I perfect the art, I'll be ancient enough to use them all...all the time.:turned:

I've never really thought of trying to sell them, Lainey, but that might not be a bad idea at all! Lawd knows all writers make enough money to live a lavish lifestyle *wink, snicker*, but a few extra dollars in my Swiss bank account wouldn't hurt. :lol:

Have a wonderful day,
Beth

www.freewebs.com/elisabethjason (http://www.freewebs.com/elisabethjason)

Because every woman deserves a knight to herself...

Lainey
June 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
BELIEVE IT OR NOT my boyfriend is living and working in Geneve, Switzerland still for a few more months so yes he DOES have a Suisse banc account I think I did that right with their spellings... so yeah too funny... he has his US bank account too but he also has a swiss one too...

But I wonder if you had pics of the staffs even if only 3 done so far they sound so great and you could definitely have a great hobby even if all you did was keep them yourself or give a couple away to friends or relatives for presents. It would be fun to see how they came out.

Lainey

ElisabethJason
June 3rd, 2007, 01:46 AM
I'll do my best to get some piccies done by the end of the month. Just have to buy some film first and get the photos developed and scanned at the library or ask for a photo CD. I don't have a scanner since my old PC crashed. Look forward to hearing more about everyone else's hobbies!

Besties,
Beth

Lainey
June 3rd, 2007, 05:05 AM
I wonder do you have a cell phone with a camera and able to upload the pics or no software for that... I know some do but personally I have the camera on the cell but not how to upload to the computer I can send to others but is about it... was just an idea though.

But if it is a hassle then do not worry about the pics it was just the idea of seeing them is all they sound great.

Lainey

dkeratsis
June 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Beth,

That is very cool. I have a friend that makes rustic furniture -- creates a lovely little hobbit hole environment to live within.

You really should try to sell your walking sticks -- they can be useul and decorative. You might try selling your product to some shop owners in Salem, MA. Seems a good fit. Or local shopos in Vermont that cater to tourists.

Dina
http://www.dinakeratsis.com (http://www.dinakeratsis.com/)
Capture the fairy tale...

Nicole Gestalt
June 7th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Anyone else into woodworking of any kind?

Myself and one of my partners create and sell staffs, and wands which we sell. I also make runes although not out of wood at least at the moment. I do runic readings for people too, and use the runes in various card layouts wishing people well, good luck etc...

It sounds great what you are doing, don't forget though if you are going to be using the staff a lot and walking tonnes with it you might want to cap the bottom as it stops the wood from splintering and makes it last longer in a better condition (my walking staff is in a right state!)

Nicole

Lainey
June 8th, 2007, 12:25 AM
AND runes and readings are great and to sell on the east coast like Salem or other places would work too. Hope it can be something great.

Lainey

ElisabethJason
June 14th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Ok, I guess I really AM the only woman on the planet without a cell phone...lol! I wish I had one to take photos with, but other than that, I wouldn't know who to call for 50 hours a month (unless Hugh Jackman is willing...snick).

What a great idea to cap the bottoms of the hiking staffs! I hadn't even thought of that, but it makes perfect sense...:-)

I'm not sure I'll ever sell my staffs, but I've been thinking about going into graphic design (webart, such as banners, trailers, and the like) for a while. Maybe when I grow up and decide get a "serious" job...lol.

What a wonderful crowd of posters this is. Thanks so much for all your replies and suggestions, and have a wonderful, blessed day!

Hugs,
Beth

www.freewebs.com/elisabethjason

Soul Sacrifice - Available from Aspen Mountain Press
A Touch Of Sin (Cupid's Arrow) - Available from Aspen Mountain Press

Lainey
June 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM
HEY we love your idea and how you make the staffs and the runes are a great idea too ... at least you know there could be interest if you wanted to pursue it for a bit more than just as a once in a while thing you do now and could make more and just give them to friends and family who love homemade things with love more than many other things that can just be bought.

I love my cell though I keep in touch with everyone that way by phone that I supplement by the internet. Although I do use the computer line to use dialup it is not for regular calls only my cell is so it is a lifeline.

Lainey