PDA

View Full Version : Fostering Dogs

Shelley Munro
June 23rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Hubby and I have started fostering dogs for the SPCA. Our first dog is called Patch Adams. He's such a cutie.

Last Thursday we picked up our first foster dog from the SPCA. He’s a Stafford terrier cross and is six months old. His name is Patch Adams. He had surgery on his left hind leg and was on cage rest until we brought him home.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/shelleymunro/animals/PatchAdams.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/shelleymunro/animals/?action=view&current=PatchAdams.jpg)

When Patch first arrived at our place, he was very timid. Our section is fully fenced but I had a few anxious moments when I couldn’t find him. He spent the rest of the day hiding behind the potager garden. When he did finally emerge from hiding, he claimed Scotty’s old kennel and made himself at home.

Our job as fosters is to build his confidence, teach him manners and get him used to a lead. We’re walking him every morning and night, giving him loads of affection and building his confidence by introducing him to new situations and noises.

He’s very good at sitting and is improving daily in the confidence arena. For the first few days he didn’t like leaving the section but now he’s eager to walk. The second day with us, he started chewing. Luckily the cannon bone Mr. Munro brought home has done the trick, and he’s concentrated on chewing that. My shoes and doormat are safe again.

Patch is a loving and very affectionate dog. He’s really sweet and will make someone a wonderful pet.

Note: Bad news on the chewing front - Patch has attacked Mr. Munro's garden irrigation system. I caught him in the act and told him off!!

HywelaLyn
June 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Aw, he looks adorable. I'm sure he'll get over the chewing phase. My own rescue had a broken hip and pelvis, but he's on medication and you'd never know. It's amazing how they heal. I think it's wonderful that you're fostering dogs - I'm afraid I'd got so fond of them I'd never want to give them up, but you're doing a fantastic job in ensuring Patch will one day get his 'forever home'.

Shelley Munro
June 28th, 2010, 04:01 AM
It is going to be hard to give him back, that's for sure. He barked for the first time today - I was like a proud mother.

A broken hip and pelvis sounds like a bad injury. It's great that he's healed and is well again.

Shelley

HywelaLyn
June 29th, 2010, 03:07 AM
It is going to be hard to give him back, that's for sure. He barked for the first time today - I was like a proud mother.

A broken hip and pelvis sounds like a bad injury. It's great that he's healed and is well again.

Shelley

Aw, how sweet - I know what you mean.They're part of the family and it's natural to feel like their 'mum' when we love them so much.

Yes, Bouncer must have been in terrible pain when he had his injuries. From what I've been able to piece together his previous owner used to come home drunk and kick him- and didn't get the vet in, so his hip and pelvis knit back slightly crooked. From the back, his feet face at 'a quarter to three' and he looks like a little penguin when he walks. But he can run and play with the best of them, and the medication he's on keeps hims comfortable and happy, and he has regularly vet check ups. At first glance you wouldn't know he'd ever had anything wrong with him. And he is so loving and affectionate. If only humans could be so forgiving!

Shelley Munro
June 29th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Aw, poor Bouncer. At least he has a caring owner now.

Shelley