PDA

View Full Version : Soap Making

ViolaGrace
June 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Hello all,
I have finally given in and started soap making. Yay. I have been using a melt and pour soap with some great celtic molds to make all kinds of fruity concoctions.
The problem is...I am now craving gummi bears. :)

Viola

Lainey
June 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Oh that sounds like a lot of fun to make soap like that and celtic too. Loves celtic designs. But I would suggest buying a couple bags of gummi bears so you have them on hand for the munchies as you make the soap. Hey cannot hurt they are very fruity tasting and smelling too.

Lainey

ViolaGrace
June 1st, 2007, 09:10 PM
I have made soap using tallow as a base in the past, but finding suet to render is tricky, and expensive if I buy it ground.
I do find that it makes the hardest and most diverse soap base though. I even like the lye portion, watching the fat get glossy and thicken as the chemical reaction takes place. The moment when you first see the 'trailings' is great. You know that it will work at that point.
I love kitchen chemistry.

lucky_pinay
June 17th, 2007, 03:39 AM
I also make soap, aside from the melt and pour kind of soap, I also know how to make herbal soap but it requires the lye solution that can hurt your skin

Karenne
June 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM
really? where did you find how to do that? I would love to know that.

Tara S Nichols
June 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM
When you say lye can hurt your skin do you mean raw or after it has been made into soap? I make old fashioned goatsmilk soap which uses lye but the lye is eaten up in the saponifying process and so far no one nor myself have been injured. Raw lye on the otherhand has taken a bite out of me more than once.
-Tara

luv2read
June 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I have never tried to make soap but it does sound very interesting. Do you find it hard to do?

lucky_pinay
June 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Its not hard at all. But the lye solution can burn your skin, it really hurts, I mean it will itch first then it will hurt.

I attended a seminar on how to make the herbal soap.

rrc_lim
August 16th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I don't make soap, but my sister does. i think its hard because she isn't happy making it for her project.

Tara S Nichols
August 16th, 2007, 11:33 PM
A sister that makes soap is a handy thing indeed. Which project? Does she sell her soap?