PDA

View Full Version : Shall We Talk Books?

Lisa Marie Wilkinson
June 29th, 2010, 02:14 PM
This thread is another opportunity to win a signed book....I'll be selecting a winner from among the posted replies to this thread and the winner may choose between a copy of Fire at Midnight and Stolen Promise as their prize.

Books...this is definitely a favorite topic of mine! Anna Rose posted on another thread that her enthusiasm with books was spurred by reading Charlotte's Web as a child. That's a book we have in common because I was also profoundly affected by the worry over Wilbur's fate when I read the book as a child.

I'm also a movie fan, but I find reading to be such a unique, personal experience that it surpasses the film experience for me. There is something about processing the flow of language and ideas, imaging the people and the settings in a story that makes reading a good book such a special experience.

Do you remember the first book you read that made a lasting impression on you? Do you read only romance, or do you read other genres, too?

Why does one book end up on your "keeper" shelf and not another?

brandyzbooks
June 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
The first book I remember was called 'Little Witch'. As you can see I love paranormal and supernatural/fantasy books.

I think the one book I read in jr high has stayed one of my altime fav's and I waited 6mo for our local bookstore to get it in (from Australia) because I had worn out my paperback. IT is called "THE CHANGEOVER" by Margret Mahy. It has the paranormal, family love and bonding, romance... everything that I love including being set in another country. It will always have a place with me and I hope that one day my girls will love it as much as I do!!! :flowers:

Lisa Marie Wilkinson
June 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Do you enjoy Kresley Cole's IAD series? I love her books. Her historicals were excellent, too. I really like how she ties all her IAD characters together and some of her dialogue is so darned funny!

I also have enjoyed JR Ward and Christine Feehan on the dark and paranormal side of things.

I haven't tried Gena Showalter yet, but I've heard such great things about her, I do want to begin reading her, too. So many books, too little time!

brandyzbooks
June 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Do you enjoy Kresley Cole's IAD series? I love her books. Her historicals were excellent, too. I really like how she ties all her IAD characters together and some of her dialogue is so darned funny!

I also have enjoyed JR Ward and Christine Feehan on the dark and paranormal side of things.

I haven't tried Gena Showalter yet, but I've heard such great things about her, I do want to begin reading her, too. So many books, too little time!

I have never read Kresley Cole and JR Ward but I have read a few of Christine Feehan and I liked them. Gena's are really good though I've only read 2 full books in her Lords of the Underworld series and I'm still on the 3rd one but they are sooo goooood!!! Have you ever read any by Yasmine Galnorn and I just one a paranormal romance about Genies/jinn by K F ZuZulo....

Lisa Marie Wilkinson
June 29th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I have never read Kresley Cole and JR Ward but I have read a few of Christine Feehan and I liked them. Gena's are really good though I've only read 2 full books in her Lords of the Underworld series and I'm still on the 3rd one but they are sooo goooood!!! Have you ever read any by Yasmine Galnorn and I just one a paranormal romance about Genies/jinn by K F ZuZulo....

I have heard that Gena Showalter is really good, and also Yasmine Galnorn but I haven't read them (yet). I'm a sucker for vampire stories (pun intended) and the Ward and Feehan books are entertaining vampire tales.

There is another writer who writes (in my opinion) very good vampire stories: Lucy Blue. She seems to stay under the radar and isn't as well known, which is truly a shame because she's a unique voice. Her titles are My Demon's Kiss, Devil's Knight, Dark Angel.

One of my favorites in dark fiction (although I don't consider her work romance) is Chelsea Quinn Yarbo. She writes fantasy, horror, paranormal. She wrote a series featuring a vampire character named St. Germain that began with the novel Hotel Transylvania. She's a master class writer, in my opinion.

brandyzbooks
June 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I haven't heard of Blue or Yarbro, I'll have to check them out...