PDA

View Full Version : Lesson 2 - Desktop Shortcuts

kayelle_allen
June 2nd, 2007, 09:37 PM
FAST? HOW FAST?

Speed is your friend when you're in a chat! You need to be able to access everything within seconds. One of the best ways to do that is to keep shorcuts (aliases for Macs) on your desktop. These are usually no more than 1-3k and therefore do not hog memory. Have an order for them that makes sense, and you'll be able to find anything you need.

HAVE IT YOUR WAY

Let me say here that if you are the type who likes to use the explore function on your pc to find things - adapt this idea by making a folder where you can keep your shortcuts. I prefer going to the desktop and can't deal quickly enough with the explore function to make it do what I want to do. However, with everything I will share here, remember to adapt what works to your way of doing things. It's your speed and your access we are trying to optimize, so make sure it works for you.

ATTACHMENT

Please scan and download the jpg that's attached to this message. It's called Kayelle's Desktop.jpg and gives you a picture of what I'm discussing here.

BASICS

Down the left side are the basic things I use as a writer - links to my "bible" (the rules of the universe), links to pictures of anything that might be an inspiration, my all-important marketing folder (more on that in a future lesson), and my website info. FYI - I keep my avatars, banners, and covers in my website folder, so they're handy. One benefit of having shortcuts on the desktop is that when you're uploading/downloading in email, you can click the desktop icon and all the major folders you need are one click away. Fast.

If you can't read the writing here, the first one on the top is My Documents. Next is Quicklinks - I use this only to hold shortcuts to my ebook folders. If I have to email an ebook to a reviewer, or the winner of a contest, it's only two clicks away in email. Very fast, very handy.

DETAILS

The next one over is CHAT. This is my most used folder. I'll show you the inside of that in the next lesson. The next 4 are for me while I'm writing. Ideas is really cool. In that folder is a shortcut to every book I plan to write. There are 18 folders - this puts the ideas for every story I want to write literally at my fingertips. If I get a good idea for something, I can open that folder, click click - and the document called Ideas Bold.doc is right there. (Bold is the next book after Jawk.) Keeps me on track. I make my notes so I don't forget the brilliant idea *(* and then get back on track with what I was doing.

I just published a book this year with Liquid Silver Books called Alitus, so it's there because right now, I need access to material for it. The other two are books in the series that are underway. Once Jawk is published this fall, the Alitus shortcut will go away, and the next book's shortcut will be added. That way all my current wips are available with only one or two clicks.

NEXT TIME

I have a patterened desktop - it's wallpaper created for my Tales of the Chosen series, but it was too distracting for a class like this so I set it as black. Tomorrow, we'll talk about that CHAT folder!

Liadan
June 3rd, 2007, 01:09 AM
This is almost exactly how I have my desktop set up.

I have all the folders I need just a few clicks away and it makes for easy access.

HH Self
June 3rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
What a great idea. I create a submenu system for the graphics work I do but never thought of setting it up for the author chats. Thank you.

Jude Mason
June 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Yeah, but I have a really cool picture of my raccoon buddy too... LOL

My desktop is a work in progress. When I first realized promoting was going to be an ongoing thing, I had like 2 folders. One with excerpts the other was a list of where I wanted to promote. Everything else was in My Documents. It's grown. I now have folders for My Newsletter, Spreadsheets, Programs, My Music, Website updates, Work ready to go, Work needs fixes and more. It's a constantly evolving thing. I like the links to works in progress. You've taken it one step farther than I have.

torrentwaters
June 4th, 2007, 02:49 PM
This is a great idea thanks. I'm going to start working on this tonight.

kuroisama
June 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I thought everyone did this already... then I saw my husband's desktop. Good Lord isn't strong enough to cover it. I'm glad my desktop doesn't look like his, I'd never find anything.

It is a good idea to keep everything upfront and handy but keep in mind that volume is the enemy. Too many shortcuts and you're back to square one. Besides, what's the point of having a desktop image if you can't see it? (And, yes, I have seen desktops full of icons--very scary and confusing).

AND... this same advice can be applied to your Bookmarks in whatever browser you use. Organize your links so you can find stuff easier (which I've let fall behind because of WIP madness). Oh, and a little bit of advice, backup your bookmarks. You didn't spend however long browsing the web and saving up links for your computer/browser to eat them (it's worse than the dog, I swear). One of my friends put a page on his website (addy only known to him, not accessible thru actual website) of his bookmarks so they are handy when he's on the road and away from his computer--though, in my mind, that's why God invented laptops. :)

Renee

PS - Loving all the advice. Keep it coming.

kayelle_allen
June 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
It is a good idea to keep everything upfront and handy but keep in mind that volume is the enemy. Too many shortcuts and you're back to square one. Besides, what's the point of having a desktop image if you can't see it? (And, yes, I have seen desktops full of icons--very scary and confusing).

Renee

PS - Loving all the advice. Keep it coming.

Excellent advice! I have only a few but they are ones I use constantly. I do have one regular folder on my desktop. It's named "Shortcuts" and when I'm not working on a project I drag the unused shortcut there, then take it back out when needed.

You should see my email - I use yahoo (it's huge, free, and easy) and last week it finally told me "STOP!! You have 200 personal folders. Ditch something!" Ok, it was much more polite than that, but it just shows you how easy it is to organize. (another lesson for another day.)

Liadan
June 4th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Kayelle, that is why I also created a gmail account. I can have more folders when they are needed. Just email from yahoo to my gmail and I have what I need.

kayelle_allen
June 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Kayelle, that is why I also created a gmail account. I can have more folders when they are needed. Just email from yahoo to my gmail and I have what I need.

Gmail is wonderful. It's humongus! Thankfully, yahoo just got rid of its limits on storage, so I don't have to worry about pitching things. It's probably best I have some limits or I'd keep everything. *_*