PDA

View Full Version : News about S.J.

Carolan Ivey
July 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I hope SJ and Tree won't mind my posting about what's going on with him right now. In a nutshell, SJ has been told that his pancreas isn't working at all anymore. Without a lifelong regimen of the proper medication, he doesn't have very long to live.

Unfortunately, the medication is frightfully expensive and he must start it right away or the muscle damage - including to his heart - may be irreversible. His friends and fellow authors on the Beyond the Veil blog are mounting an effort to help him get the medication he needs.

Until we can get other, long-term plans off the ground, we have set up a way for his friends and fans to donate via Paypal. Please, if you can help, even just a buck or two, it would be deeply appreciated.

The link is on our Dunvegas free anthology page (http://carolanivey.com/dunvegas). Scroll down and click the "Donate" button.

We on the BtV blog are not willing to let SJ go without a fight. We hope you'll join us.

Carolan Ivey

CharmedGirl
July 4th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Poor SJ. I'll be sure to go and check out the Dunvegas page.

hollie
July 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM
that is a lovely thought i hope you can raise enough funds to help.

Dani
July 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM
That's wonderful for y'all to do Carolan.

He's a fantastic man and I don't want to lose him without a fight either!

brandyzbooks
July 7th, 2010, 11:33 PM
OMGsh, that is sooo sad. I am new here but SJ and Tree were awesome to me during Springshowers and made me feel so at home. If you don't mind I would like to help spread the word. I didn't know he was ill until today, thanks to CharmedGirl for getting me the link to this post. Please if there is anything I can do don't hesitate to ask and I'm headed over to the site to donate.

I know this isn't my business but can they do a pancreas transplant??? My father was a transplant patient and I know its not easy but because of my dad's transplant we got to keep him with us for another 24yrs... I will keep him and Tree in my prayers!!!

Brandy

CharmedGirl
July 8th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I've never heard of a Pancreas transplant Brandy but I'm sure it can be done. It'd be beneficial for diabetes patients you'd think.

brandyzbooks
July 8th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I've never heard of a Pancreas transplant Brandy but I'm sure it can be done. It'd be beneficial for diabetes patients you'd think.

I know that i have heard of them. Alot of times they are transplanted with other organs like livers and intestinal tract in children with issues there. I hope that this all works out for them. I sent a donation. I would like to help spread the word about the site with the download and donation info, but I am waiting to make sure it is okay.

Brandy

CharmedGirl
July 8th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I'm sure it would be okay. The more the merrier for donations.

Dani
July 8th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I know that i have heard of them. Alot of times they are transplanted with other organs like livers and intestinal tract in children with issues there. I hope that this all works out for them. I sent a donation. I would like to help spread the word about the site with the download and donation info, but I am waiting to make sure it is okay.

Brandy

Brandy, to be sure about it you could PM Tree. I know she's been working a lot, but she will answer when she gets time.

brandyzbooks
July 8th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Brandy, to be sure about it you could PM Tree. I know she's been working a lot, but she will answer when she gets time.

Thank you, I was afraid to bother her. Especially with all that she is going through. I will send a short msg and see what she thinks.

Thank you,
Brandy

CharmedGirl
July 8th, 2010, 08:03 AM

Good thinking Dani.

Hopefully tree will have a chance to get online with everything that's going on.

Kathi Barton
July 8th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hello and I want to say what an awesome thing that is being done for Sj. Has anyone posted this on Facebook? I think that would get a lot of donations as well.

Kathi

CharmedGirl
July 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hello and I want to say what an awesome thing that is being done for Sj. Has anyone posted this on Facebook? I think that would get a lot of donations as well.

Kathi

Like Dani said, check with tree first before you post the info anywhere else but CTR.

sjwilling
July 9th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hi Everyone.

Please accept my apologies for not getting on sooner. I get tired very quickly nowadays and work takes a lot out of me.

I have to thank Carolan and all my friends over at the Beyond the veil blog they've been great and have helped immensely raising the first few months prescriptions and giving me time to try and work out some way of getting a regular and cheap supply of the drug.

I've started taking them last week, here's hoping they do the job and help me rebuild some of the muscle I've lost.

Pancreas transplants are possible and can be done. The question is cost. WIthout medical insurance and no eligibility for medical benefits (I'm an alien resident and not an american citizen which bars me from receiving benefits) its a moot point as no one will even contemplate that route. It's also why I'm not eligible for medical assistance to buy the Ultrase.

Go figure, I'm allowed to pay taxes and that's about it.

I will try and get myself organized and get on a little bit more. Tree and I have been kinda burying ourselves in other stuff to try and not think about things too much. But I need to get back into writing very soon, and I'll start getting back on the lists and things then as well, not to mention there are a few loose ends on the Spring Showers that need to be tied up.

Again, thanks everyone for all that you're doing. I'll keep you posted with the latest news when I can.

S.J.

Carolan Ivey
July 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Oh, absolutely, Brandy. Sorry I thought I had this thread set to notify me when new messages were added! Sorry!

To date we've raised enough money for two months' worth of medication, but of course we have a ways to go. The link will stay on the Dunvegas page until SJ doesn't need it anymore.

Brandy

Carolan Ivey
July 10th, 2010, 10:58 PM
The Beyond the Veil blog has a FB page, feel free to spread that URL around!

I'm not sure if it's kosher to post outside URLs here...just go on FB and search for Beyond the Veil and look for the icon with Stonehenge on it. :)

Kathi