PDA

View Full Version : July 2010 Chat!

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Good morning Coffee Timers!

The July chat with The Sweetest Romance Authors takes place in this thread. :)

However, Miss Mae won't be available to participate much today, but y'all keep on yakking all you want! :spotman:

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Okay, so it's almost past morning here in Georgia but I am not known as being an early riser. :winkiss:

Welcome to all of our Sweet Romance authors today and especially to all our visitors--Lurkers, too! smilies/biggrinbandi

I'm going to be around for the next two hours so drop in and say Hello...read any good books lately? Want to hear about some new releases? You've come to the right place. Stick around!

yadkny
July 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Good Morning (still morning here) :)
I am always ready to hear about new releases.

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hi there. The party around here usually gets going in the afternoon and last month was hopping all night long. I'm hanging around this morning cuz my son's 16th birthday is tomorrow and I'm surprising him by taking him to see PHANTOM OF THE OPERA in Atlanta tonight. He still doesn't know! hee hee

Visiting from WA? One of my best friends lives in Snohomish. She loves it there. No desire to come back South!

I had a new sweet romance novel release last Thursday, so I'm going to be posting some excerpts and stuff today.

Thanks for coming by!

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
New Release!
BY HEART AND COMPASS
by Danielle Thorne
Available through Desert Breeze Publishing, Amazon, B&N, and More!

BY HEART AND COMPASS

Genealogist Lacey Whitman prefers the dead, so her heart must be her compass as she goes head to head with the only living man who can help her find a centuries old pirate ship.

When Lacey Whitman buys a restored Victorian home, she never dreams discovering an antique diary will lead her back to sea and into the arms of the dive bum she’d rather forget. Her habit of living in the past comes to a screeching halt as diver Max Bertrand and the diary of his ancestor take Lacey on the quest of a lifetime: To discover and raise the privateer ship, Specter, and bring the treasure and legacy of a true hero home again. But will finding it cost her heart?

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
BY HEART AND COMPASS
by Danielle Thorne
Desert Breeze Publishing

Excerpt:

Sitting outside, one of the divers looked busy replacing the o-ring on a scuba tank.

"I'm looking for Max?"

The long haired employee didn't bother to stand, much less look up.

"So?"

"I'm Lacey Whitman, and I'm looking for the Max that owns the museum."

"You call that worthless shack a museum?"

Dumbfounded, Lacey couldn't think of any reply.

"What do you want?"

"I'm looking for Max," she repeated, feeling a flash of impatience. "I have some papers for him."

"Warrant, restraining order, or paternity test?"

After a pause in which she realized he was serious, she replied in frustration, "I have some research for the Bertrand family and someone at the museum told me to come down here."

Lacey caught herself biting her lip.

Finally, the man of absolutely no assistance put down the tank and stood up. Short and compact, he had amazing turquoise eyes that glowed from a dark, tanned complexion. Loose strands of sun-kissed brown hair blew about his face in the breeze.

"Max doesn't need anymore paperwork. He doesn't want to see your research, and he is not giving dive lessons."

"I didn't ask for a dive lesson."

The diver sat back down again, crossing thick tattooed arms over himself. They stared one another down until he won. It was cheating to look her over as if she was a sweet little morsel, but it worked.

"I just want to talk to Max," she demanded.

He stared back with no expression. "You just did. Now get off my beach."

Lacey's cheeks were already flushed from getting the once over by this beach bum. His insult made her red all over.

"I'll be sure to let them know at the Bertrand Museum," she threatened, as if it mattered.

She turned on her heel and stalked off but he called after her, "Lady, I am the Bertrand Museum!"

applause.gifapplause.gifapplause.gif

Find out more!
http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-96/Danielle-Thorne-By-Heart/Detail.bok

yadkny
July 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi there. The party around here usually gets going in the afternoon and last month was hopping all night long. I'm hanging around this morning cuz my son's 16th birthday is tomorrow and I'm surprising him by taking him to see PHANTOM OF THE OPERA in Atlanta tonight. He still doesn't know! hee hee

Visiting from WA? One of my best friends lives in Snohomish. She loves it there. No desire to come back South!

Oh I LOVE Phantom of the Opera!!! Haven't seen the play, but I loved the movie! Have fun, I wish we had that around here:(

We have pretty good weather around here. Where I am we don't have extreme weather (not too hot and not too cold) cuz I live mostly in the deserty part of south eastern WA. I will be taking a trip to Forks in a couple of months and since that is on the coastside of WA, I am anticipating that to be a pretty wet trip :) but I am excited!

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
We have pretty good weather around here. Where I am we don't have extreme weather (not too hot and not too cold) cuz I live mostly in the deserty part of south eastern WA. I will be taking a trip to Forks in a couple of months and since that is on the coastside of WA, I am anticipating that to be a pretty wet trip :) but I am excited!

Washington is one of the places I'm dying to visit. The closest I've ever been is Idaho, where I lived for two years south of West Yellowstone. Loved it--but I missed my Southern roots.

Do you mean visiting Forks, as in Forks from where TWILIGHT was filmed?

Someday soon we plan to get out and see Seattle, the sound, and Mt. Helen's. We'd love to take an Alaskan cruise that leaves out of there. Read about those alot.

Have fun on your trip. Hope it's not too wet!

yadkny
July 8th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Looks like I am going to have to add BY HEART AND COMPASS to my TBR list :) Thanks for the excerpt! I love the cover (I'm visiting your website).

yadkny
July 8th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Do you mean visiting Forks, as in Forks from where TWILIGHT was filmed?

Someday soon we plan to get out and see Seattle, the sound, and Mt. Helen's. We'd love to take an Alaskan cruise that leaves out of there. Read about those alot.

Yup, I mean that Forks. It was a spur of the moment decision. Since we're traveling by vehicle we'll be taking the scenic route and going through Mt. St. Helen's and Mt. Rainier. An Alaskan cruise is on my travel list too!

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Yup, I mean that Forks. It was a spur of the moment decision. Since we're traveling by vehicle we'll be taking the scenic route and going through Mt. St. Helen's and Mt. Rainier. An Alaskan cruise is on my travel list too!

OH, cool! That'd be neat to see Forks, on top of the other spots (haha). If you blog, you have to post some pics! Film locations always intrigue me.

I live not-too-far from the town where they filmed FRIED GREEN TOMATOES. I always thought that would be a cool job to scout locations for movies.

Thanks for checking out my site, too, btw.

I think an Alaskan Cruise is on everyone's list! haha. We've checked into it as we've done some Caribbean cruises, but man, they charge an arm and a leg. Definitely something to save for years in advance.

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hi Danielle! And thanks for coming over, yadkny! :)

I'm afraid the majority of the Sweeties either have to work at that day job, or have some sickness in the family, or it's just too hot to be at the computer. I can certainly relate to that last one, as it's miserable here. 102 yesterday in the shade on my front porch.

Yadkney, it sounds definitely cool where you are! :)

And yes, I love Danielle's new release. I'm still reading the first of sea-faring romances, The Privateer, and I love it! (Of course, I knew I would. :) )

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Good morning Coffee Timers!

The July chat with The Sweetest Romance Authors takes place in this thread. :)

However, Miss Mae won't be available to participate much today, but y'all keep on yakking all you want! :spotman:

When you're done visiting here at the forum boards, come on over to my blog and visit with Anne Patrick today. She is giving away a free copy of her new release, FIRE AND ASH to one lucky guest who comments.

Swing by! www.thebalancedwriter.blogspot.com

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Washed ashore on a South Carolina beach in the middle of a ferocious hurricane, Lois Steinberg regains consciousness in the bedroom of a historic plantation house. Her handsome rescuer, Victor Helm, informs her the resort was scheduled as the site for a convention of [I]‘Catch Me’ game enthusiasts.
<!----> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
Lois, together with the eight [I]‘Cathie’ attendees, has no choice except to wait out the storm. When the cook is found murdered, the already tense atmosphere explodes with accusations and suspicions. Who could have wanted the man dead? Everyone is a stranger with no connection to each other except for their love of the ‘Catch Me’ games -- right?
<!----> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
Inside the house, Lois, aided by Victor and his golden retriever, Mite, combat a deadly storm that rivals the strengthening hurricane. To find the killer, they must sort through a series of plots far more complicated than the [I]‘Catch Me’ creator could ever have devised.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
It’s not a game they seek to solve - but the saving of their lives.

This is my absolute newest release! Available in digital form at Smashwords (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/17475), and now in print from my eStore! (https://www.createspace.com/3464567)

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Oops, that book cover came up way too big! LOL :jawdrop:

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
He squinted his eyes to peer closer. “I don’t think anything’s left in there. Here, hold your other hand on the cut while I find some band-aids.” Rising to his feet, he searched through the cabinets.

“Don’t make a fuss,” she protested. “It’s pretty minor.”

Again, he squatted close, setting supplies on the floor. “Glad it’s not deep enough to need stitches. But you don’t want to take a chance of getting an infection. Hold still while I swab it with alcohol.”

When the expected sting came, Lois winced. Victor blew on the cut, helping to soothe away the pain. With deft movements, he wrapped a band-aid around the wound and then smiled.

“Better?”

They were only inches apart. Victor watched her with eyes so dark the pupils disappeared. She tried to move, she wanted to look away, but she couldn’t drop her gaze. She saw him flick his eyes toward her mouth.

“I—it…” Blood rushing to beat against her eardrums, she couldn’t hear her own words.

Searching gaze scorching her flesh, he tilted her chin up with the tip of an index finger. “Who are you, Lois Steinberg?”

“What?” The breath hitched in her throat.

“Tell me about you.” His husky whisper stirred the hair at her temple. “I want to learn everything there is.”

Finally able to lower her lids, she pulled away. “Believe me, you don’t. I’m as boring as mud.”

“Let me be the judge of that.”

“We really should follow B.J.” She tugged her hand from his warm grasp, but his followed. Victor glanced down and chuckled.

“Wait a minute. You’re caught in my watchband.” He raised their attached wrists, his fingers tickling where they fumbled at her shift cuff. To get a closer look, he leaned toward her and bent his head. Lois drank in the allure of how the ceiling light extracted a purple sheen from the depths of his thick raven hair.

“Spiced apple,” she murmured, not realizing she voiced her thoughts.

“Huh?” He jerked his head up. Their noses almost bumped.

“Nothing.” Heart thudding out of rhythm, Lois drew back as far as she dared without falling off balance.

“You mean Jenna’s complimentary shampoo?” He grinned. “Not what I would’ve chosen.”

The humor in his deep voice, the tenderness of his concern, and the magnetism of his very presence combined in one overwhelming punch. Senses threatening a mutiny, Lois struggled to retain a semblance of self-control.

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 02:25 PM

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} p {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>New maid Dorcy Edwards flees the scene of where her employer’s body is found. His murder sparks a chain of macabre events. Cloistered on a remote island with five strangers, including Gareth Davenport, her late employer’s brooding, but darkly handsome heir, Dorcy encounters baffling questions with what she fears may be terrifying answers. Who cut the telegraph lines? Who left a mutilated animal carcass outside her bedroom door? What is the reason for Gareth’s black gloves and eye patch? Can he be “Jack the Ripper”, the madman suspected to be Mr. Davenport’s killer? Dorcy must solve the mystery, and soon, or her growing attraction for Gareth could be her very death sentence.

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM
A stinging sensation jabbed her nostrils. The pain caused her to jerk her eyelids open and Dorcy stared into Hazel Butterfield’s chubby face.

“There. She’s awake now.” Stepping back, Hazel removed the small bottle of smelling salts she’d held under Dorcy’s nose.
Pushing to an elbow, Dorcy blinked in confusion. A small band of people circled around the couch where she lay. An unknown man entered her line of vision and she raised her gaze to his.

“Miss Edwards?” He spoke in a courteous voice; however, quiet authority underlined his words. “I’m Inspector Sosby of London City Police. Are you feeling better?” His blue eyes beneath sandy colored brows watched her closely.

“Take her away. She killed Mr. Davenport.” The maid, Alice, hurled the accusation through hiccupping sobs. “I saw her, I tell you! I saw her!”

“That’s enough.” The inspector spun on his heel, pinning the young woman with a hard stare that defied challenge. “One more outburst from you and I’ll have you removed from the room.”

Alice sucked down a shuddering breath, but she flung a baleful look at Dorcy. The inspector turned back. “Now. May I ask you some questions?”

“She’s had a shock.” Hazel intervened. “Must you?”

Her husband laid a restraining hand on her shoulder. “I think the inspector knows best, Mother.”

Disoriented, Dorcy brushed tangled, disheveled hair from her brow. Daring a furtive glance about, she recognized the room’s furnishings as those of the Davenport’s library. A white sheet spread in the center of the floor, marking the spot where the man had lain. Movement from the corner of Dorcy’s vision caused her to look at the window. Gareth Davenport stood facing the glass as he stared at the pressing fog. He flexed his shoulders inside his tailored coat, the material smoothing down the breadth of his broad back. Catching the reflection of the lamplight, the waves in his thick hair shone like folds of black satin. He clasped his gloved hands behind him, speaking to no one.

Inspector Sosby’s dusty brown moustache curled around the end of the cigar he stuck between his lips. Striking a match, he lit the tobacco, squinting at Dorcy through exhaled puffs of smoke. “You are pale, but I promise not to over keep you, Miss.”

Not knowing how she could refuse his request, she gave a slow nod of consent.

“You knew the victim, Carlyle Davenport?” Sosby shook out the match and flicked it into the fireplace.

She nodded again, staring at her lap, acutely aware of Gareth’s presence and that he heard every word exchanged.

“Explain how you knew him.”

“He—” Her voice trembled, and she cleared her throat, hoping to control her nervousness. “He was my employer.”

“You worked for him? Here? As?”

“A kitchen maid.”

“And how long had you been his maid?”

“Three days.”

“Three days?” At hearing the odd note in Sosby’s voice, Dorcy glanced up. His brows rose as though her answer surprised him. “So you’re a new girl.”
MyShelf.com awards "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" the Top Ten Read of 2008! Visit my website (http://www.missmaesite.com) to view the trailer, and to learn more about this award winning book.

Available now for immediate download in digital format at Smashwords, (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/13752) or buy in print at my eStore! (https://www.createspace.com/3446861)

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Lula/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Darlene Moore’s reason for shunning Parker Shane has nothing to do with his reputation of being a playboy. She even dates him before the death of her mother forces her to move away. After a two-year absence from Dalesville, she returns home to find Parker exchanging wedding vows with her sister. Two months later, her sister dies.

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>Then Richard Ryan, head of Dalesville’s wealthy, prominent family, and Parker’s employer, goes missing. Could there be a connection to his disappearance and Parker’s unexpected promotion?
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
Danger and questions a plenty barrage Darlene with the deadly speed of a six-shooter. Who called down a representative from a Washington agency? Who later
assaulted him? Who attacked Darlene at her friend’s apartment? And will Parker’s scandalous brand of playboy be changed to one of murderous culprit? Or, in the moment of Darlene’s greatest need, might he become her rescuing knight?

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
The door re-opened. Darlene glanced up and immediately choked on her swallow of ice cream.<o></o>

Parker Shane stood at the threshold.<o></o>

Clad in snug-fitting blue jeans, he wore a leather jacket halfway unzipped. Its black color enhanced the golden sheen of his blond hair. At sight of the girls, his dark brows rose slightly. Then, that same easy grin Darlene first saw at Fat Man’s appeared.

“Oops. Wrong door.” His blue eyes went to Darlene. “Hi there.”<o></o>

She snatched a napkin to her mouth to cover her fit of coughing. Blessedly, she was saved from having to try and reply with some kind of answer. Margo jumped to her feet.<o></o>

“Hi,” she greeted Parker, a pretty blush staining her cheeks. “What a surprise to see you.”<o></o>

A casual hand raised to show a sealed envelope. “I’m dropping off your dad’s paperwork for Mr. Ryan.” His grin broadened as he continued to watch Darlene.<o></o>

“Um…” Margo made an awkward gesture at the dessert plates on the table. “Mr. Ryan invited us for lunch.”<o></o>

“Lucky man.” Parker’s deep voice lowered even more.<o></o>

Darlene caught Margo’s flustered glance. The blonde hesitated, her bottom lip caught between her teeth. Parker moved away from the door and came toward Darlene.<o></o>

“You and I have met.” He extended a hand in introduction. “Remember?”<o></o>

She stiffened. Reference to his flirty wink at Fat Man’s in no way, no how, suggested they’d “met”. Deciding to set the record straight, she arched a haughty brow. “Can’t say that I do.”<o></o>

“Oh, I’m not believing that.” He spoke with such conviction that her pulse revved into overdrive.<o></o>

A heavy tread sounded outside the door and Boone entered. After one startled glance, he said to Parker, “Mr. Ryan’s in the library. I’ll take you there.” <o></o>

“Sure.” His eyes glinting as though in challenge, Parker closed his hand that Darlene refused to lay hers in. He swung around to follow Boone, but paused at the threshold. “See you later,” he told her across his shoulder, his cocky grin holding a promise. <o></o>

When the two men’s footsteps faded away, Margo sank to her chair. Voice small, she asked, “What did he mean that you two had already met?”<o></o>

“Absolutely nothing. It was a lie.” Quickly, she reached for her glass of water, but her hand trembled so badly, she just as quickly set it down.<o></o>

“Why would he lie?”<o>

</o> “Because he’s a dope. Oh, I don’t know!” Expelling a frustrated breath, Darlene shook her head. She didn’t want to admit it, but Parker bothered her. A lot.<o></o>
Winner of the 2009 P&E Readers Poll in the YA category! My publisher (http://whimsicalpublications.com/miss_mae/When_The_Bough_Breaks.html) is having a July sale (http://whimsicalpublications.com/index.html)! Come over and visit! My site! (http://www.missmaesite.com)

yadkny
July 8th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ooohhh both excerpts sound good! The "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" excerpt sounds like something straight out of a who done it game :)

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Ooohhh both excerpts sound good! The "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" excerpt sounds like something straight out of a who done it game :)

Thanks, yadkny. Here are some recent reviews posted at Amazon if you'd like to read them: :)

Reviews (http://www.amazon.com/See-No-Evil-Pretty-Lady/dp/1452808155/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3/188-2633318-4006529)

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM

I am going out of town this weekend and I plan to download SEE NO EVIL on my reader along with a few other books I've just bought. Looking forward to it!

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I've read WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS and I enjoyed it. It was very different from Miss Mae's Victorian suspenses, but the sense of place and time and setting--very well done--I liked it. Kind of a Modern Historical--set back a few years. I liked the teen angst. We never outgrow that!

DanielleThorne
July 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I cant wait to read this!

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I cant wait to read this!

Which one, Danielle? LOL

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I am going out of town this weekend and I plan to download SEE NO EVIL on my reader along with a few other books I've just bought. Looking forward to it!

Oh, thanks! I hope you like it! :)

Miss Mae
July 8th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I've read WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS and I enjoyed it. It was very different from Miss Mae's Victorian suspenses, but the sense of place and time and setting--very well done--I liked it. Kind of a Modern Historical--set back a few years. I liked the teen angst. We never outgrow that!

Yes, it was different, wasn't it? Just had to write something about a small town with a "big house" secret. LOL