PDA

View Full Version : Cover Art Question

zenawynn
July 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I have an author (I'm an editor) who is considering the cover for her first book. She'd like to use a painting that she absolutely loves. The painting is of a bedroom with an open window that shows water in the distance. It's like a water color. Don't know if I could post a picture here.

Her story is about a resort owner who holds a contest in which the lucky winners win two weeks free at her resort. As the winners go through their stay there, you find out all sorts of interesting things about all of them, as well as the reason why the owner hosted the contest in the first place. The book is really interesting, and will be released from Red Rose Publishing in a few months. The title is called Voices on the Waves.

The author's orignal idea was to have a woman sitting on a cliffside over looking the ocean, with maybe a large house somewhere in the background representing the resort. Now she's fixed on using this painting.

So as a reader, my question is, what attracts you to books, realizing that the cover is part of the marketing tool publishers use to sell books?

destinyrae
July 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I love a good suspense, so I'm always drawn to dark and eerie looking covers. But, I would also say that colors can often really draw my attention. Or, they at least get me to take a closer look. :)

Destiny

Cara Bristol
July 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM
It's a hard question, because it's a complete package: the cover, the title, the blurb. I think what attracts me to books, first, is the title, then the blurb, then the cover. I tend to prefer simple covers as opposed to covers where there is a lot going on. Sometimes I am misled by covers: the look leads me to believe the book will be one way, when in fact, it's another.

Author_KLBrady
February 11th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I think I'm usually drawn in by the title first, then the cover, then the back cover blurb, then the first page or two (if I make it that far).

For what it's worth, the original idea sounds more compelling to me than the painting, but I haven't seen the painting.

Dominique_Eastwick
February 11th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I am drawn to the cover first, if the cover doesn't interest me its rare I will move past it, unless I know the author or have heard through word of mouth the book is awesome.

As a first time published author I think you really need the wow factor behind you.

Stephen Kessel
May 1st, 2011, 11:56 PM
For me it's the blurb first but having said that when browsing in a book shop it is the cover that makes me pick up that particular book in the first place and read the blurb on the back. So though I buy on the blurb I may never read the blurb on some books because of the cover.

I publish books online but I have only bought one on line and that was non fiction which doesn't really count. I find the thumbnails too small often to know what is going on on the cover and if anything appeals to me about a cover it's the colours. If I can see the image properly then I as with a print book in a shop that is what will lead me to read a blurb. With some covers I just have to read the blurb, even though I have no intention of ever buying the book, because the cover has appealed so much.

If your friend doesn't own the original painting she will probably not be able to use it because of copyright. I only use purchased royalty free images, or photos I have taken myself, on the covers I make and always give full attribution. If I expect others to respect my right to copyright on my writing then it's only right to respect any artists rights to their copyright on their work. if you want a choice of cover images, or to look at hunky men, try Dreamstime.com, they have thousands of scenes just like your friend wants to use and they often cost only a dollar or two to buy and use.

The importance of covers is a really good question. One publishers and authors angst over constantly. I have also always read the book I make a cover for which is a huge help I think.

Suzan Tisdale
January 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I agree with the others. It is the whole package. The cover has to match the book. You wouldn't put a picture of cuddly kittens on the front of a book about vampires, unless of course we're talking about Kittens who are vampires. lol I am attracted to it all at once...but the final decision is made on the blurb. If the blurb doesn't catch me, chances are I won't read further. And I can usually tell within the first two paragraphs if I'm going to read the rest of the book.