PDA

View Full Version : Me---at the movies!

tamquij
July 28th, 2010, 01:16 PM
http://tamelaquijas.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/hr_the_sorcerers_apprentice_48.jpg?w=163&h=300 (http://tamelaquijas.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/hr_the_sorcerers_apprentice_48.jpg)Here it is a Monday that promises to deliver 102 degree weather heat in the Far Southwest. Weíre accustomed to the heat but the blistering heat with humidity is something that doesnít mix well out here, for one simple reason. In the Southwest, our homes are cooled with something commonly known as a swamp cooler. Most of you are probably unfamiliar with this contraption, but to explain it simply, itís air cooled through water soaked pads. Humidity prevents the pads from cooling appropriately and, thus, homes donít cool as efficiently as they should.
So, whatís a person to do?
I head to the movies, and enjoy that fabulous refrigerated air that is piped in. Thatís just what I did this weekend! Off I went and grabbed my famed bucket of extra butter popcorn and super large coke to enjoy Disneyís latest, The Sorcererís Apprentice.
This movie has it allómagic, mythical creatures, great special effects, a captivating tale, romance, as well as the quintessential Disney charm. If youíre going in thinking youíll be seeing Mickey Mouse, clear your mind. This is live action and filled with Disney magic. Nicholas Cage delivers a fantastic performance as Balthazar Blake, a sorcerer personally trained by Merlin. Balthazar has spent the last millenium seeking for the one person that is capable of riding the world of the evil Morgana and her threat of overtaking the world with her undead minions. His quest leads him to a normal, everyday (Bless you Disney) geek, Dave Stutler(Jay Baruchel). Daveís a whiz kid that comprehends physics with a skill that makes me want to be his study partner in class, and is more than a little klutzy. Goodness, watching him in his office made me want my own Tesla Coil!
When our unlikely pair meet in 2000, poor 10 year old Dave accidently breaks open a coveted nesting doll that contains the evil persona of Maxim Horvath (Alfred Molina). How much more can a man be described as evil when his human body forms from a mass of slithering cockroaches? Ten years later, Horvath is seeking to destroy Dave, discovering he is the one individual capable of bringing an end to any plans of world domination.
The battle of good vs. evil is on but, first, Dave has to learn how to perform the magic that remains hidden deep within him. Reluctant, falling in love, and lacking self-confidence, Dave is a darling that makes the viewer laugh, groan in commiseration, and clap with glee when he succeeds. Balthazar is the teacher that makes one shake their head, wondering where he gathers so much patience with what appears to be a hopeless case. Harvath is slick, disgusting, but delivers an age-old charm that makes your skin crawl.
Overall, this is a good family movie. Itís a bit too in-depth for the younger set, but those between the ages of 10-16 will find it enjoyable. Our audience clapped with enjoyment and laughed with the characters throughout the movie, as only true Disney fans will do. I enjoyed it, as did the kids, enjoying the clean family fun and magic that Disney always delivers. Remember to stay for the ending credits, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Jon Turteltaub are notorious for those little teasers they place at the end of the flick.
4 stars!