PDA

View Full Version : Brag!!!

maura
June 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
My Golden, Windmere's I'm No Angel, RN(no she is not a nurse, the AKC uses this as the first Rally Title, silly isn't it) has her first leg towards her CD(Companion Dog though she does like music). We took second place in Novice B at the Long Island Kennel Club Show. I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela Caperton
June 9th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Maura, that's so awesome!!

When I was growing up, I had a friend that showed Shelties in obedience trials! Are you going to go all the way up the ladder? When I moved away, my friend had her prize Sheltie up to Utility Dog, but didn't thinks she was going pursue Champion.

That is a lot of work and you (and your dog!) deserve a really big slice of chocolate cheesecake with your coffee!

Keep us posted!

Doranna
June 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM
My Golden, Windmere's I'm No Angel, RN(no she is not a nurse, the AKC uses this as the first Rally Title, silly isn't it) has her first leg towards her CD(Companion Dog though she does like music). We took second place in Novice B at the Long Island Kennel Club Show. I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Novice B. I bow in awe! I've got two in Novice A right now...hopefully we'll sharpen up over the summer (in Arizona, that's the no-trial season; we're done till September even in the high country).

maura
September 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
As of July Angel now is Windmere's I'm No Angel CD, RN. She only needs one more leg for her RA. In two days in a row she Placed 4th in Rally advanced, and once in Novice B, the second day was very hot and we were both tired, but she qualified anyway. She loves to jump, so we just have to teach the retrieve, not as easy as you would think for the non retrieving retriever!

MAURA

maura
September 4th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Congratulations!

Novice B. I bow in awe! I've got two in Novice A right now...hopefully we'll sharpen up over the summer (in Arizona, that's the no-trial season; we're done till September even in the high country).

Novice B is pretty much the same, you've just had dogs with titles before. I had two previous dogs with CD's and I am looking forward to going further with these two. My Golden is from all show lines but shows in obedience beautifully and the GSD has about ten generations of schutzhund dogs behind him, and he loves to work. Good luck in the fall. Too bad you can't do Novice A with more than one dog, the judges are soooo nice!

Maura

Doranna
September 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
As of July Angel now is Windmere's I'm No Angel CD, RN. She only needs one more leg for her RA. In two days in a row she Placed 4th in Rally advanced, and once in Novice B, the second day was very hot and we were both tired, but she qualified anyway. She loves to jump, so we just have to teach the retrieve, not as easy as you would think for the non retrieving retriever!

MAURA

Congratulations!

Doranna
September 4th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Novice B is pretty much the same, you've just had dogs with titles before. I had two previous dogs with CD's and I am looking forward to going further with these two. My Golden is from all show lines but shows in obedience beautifully and the GSD has about ten generations of schutzhund dogs behind him, and he loves to work. Good luck in the fall. Too bad you can't do Novice A with more than one dog, the judges are soooo nice!

Maura

I've got the two in Nov. A now, which I guess is the only way to get more than one in, but boy, dealing with the sits and downs extra handler is nervewracking! But my Cardi will finish in Nov B if she finishes at all; she's been injured and may not be able to come back to the ring. We're one leg away from the rally excellent and halfway through her agility PAX at the Exellent level, and of course the obedience...pretty much in mourning, here.

The Beagle (he's a breed champ) heads to his next chance at CD legs in a week and a half, though. He finished his RE in June (He's been in the top ten AKC rally Beagles all year, W00t!), is working on his agility MACH...just starting to train Open obedience and the retrieving behaviors. I'm not sure how far we'll get--he's pretty good on fetching for a non-retriever, but we have a lot of conflicting behaviors instilled for agility. Going from agility to obedience...it's a whole new world... ack!!

Neither of mine are the classic working dog; I do a lot of management. I envy you your GSD!

--Doranna

Susan Kelley
September 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM
congratulations. I know it's a lot of work for owners as well as the dog.

maura
September 5th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Wow, beagles are not easy to train in obedience, especially outside with all those good smell. Hopefully your little herder will be able to at least finish her CD. It sucks when they get injured. My last GSD was trained through Open and hadn't finished his CD when he tore the ACL. I am looking forward to starting Major (GSD) if he doesn't kill me first. He is big and fast, thank God he found his brakes on the recall. Everyone got a kick out of it but my butt was getting sore. I have never tried Agility. An obedience judge (who I like very much) runs the class, but it is about an hour and fifteen minutes away, and I only have two days off a week, I just can't give up all of Sunday. I know how you feel about the extra handler. My husband used to help out in Grad Novice and Veteran's sits and downs. My two dogs who never broke decided that butterflies are fun to chase and these dogs were seven and eight at the time. Naturally everyone else wanted to chase them too, so we had a ring full of senior citizen dogs acting like puppies and a couple of them were OTCH's to boot, fun was had by all.

Good Luck with the fall season!

Maura

I've got the two in Nov. A now, which I guess is the only way to get more than one in, but boy, dealing with the sits and downs extra handler is nervewracking! But my Cardi will finish in Nov B if she finishes at all; she's been injured and may not be able to come back to the ring. We're one leg away from the rally excellent and halfway through her agility PAX at the Exellent level, and of course the obedience...pretty much in mourning, here.

The Beagle (he's a breed champ) heads to his next chance at CD legs in a week and a half, though. He finished his RE in June (He's been in the top ten AKC rally Beagles all year, W00t!), is working on his agility MACH...just starting to train Open obedience and the retrieving behaviors. I'm not sure how far we'll get--he's pretty good on fetching for a non-retriever, but we have a lot of conflicting behaviors instilled for agility. Going from agility to obedience...it's a whole new world... ack!!

Neither of mine are the classic working dog; I do a lot of management. I envy you your GSD!

--Doranna

maura
September 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks Susan, Angel tries very hard, though she has a wicked sense of humor at times. Typical Golden Retriever.

Maura

congratulations. I know it's a lot of work for owners as well as the dog.

Linda L Lattimer
September 5th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Maura so happy happy for you!

maura
September 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Maura so happy happy for you!

Thanks, we are trying to finish off that RA title on Friday. Gorgeous site too, it is as Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay. An old Gold Coast estate. Can't wait to see how we do. If Angie could read there would be no problem at all

Doranna
September 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks, we are trying to finish off that RA title on Friday. Gorgeous site too, it is as Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay. An old Gold Coast estate. Can't wait to see how we do. If Angie could read there would be no problem at all

Good luck! Too bad about that reading thing, isn't it? Just as well...if they could read, they'd probably have opposable thumbs, too, and then we'd really be in trouble. Sounds like a lovely venue!

Connery Beagle finished his CD last weekend and then got a bonus leg, both first placements...so he got his title with a 2nd and two firsts, and added a first on the end. It'll be a very long time before we try Open, though. He's a fetchin' fool, but "retrieve a dumbbell" behaviors are so totally different! We'll just run agility for a year while we think about it...

His packmate Belle Cardigan has been injured since mid-August so missed this trial. I've got her entered in Nov B (she needs two legs) and in Exc B rally (needs one leg) in mid-October, but we're waiting on the vet's approval for whether we really go or not. Sigh.

--Doranna

maura
September 25th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I am very impressed! You don't see alot of Beagles in Obedience (and not because they can't do it either) and it's hard to beat those Border Collies out of the ribbons! Hopefully your Cardi will be well enough to compete soon, but I bet there's a winter season near you. We pretty much end in November up here. Angel is almost ready for Open, but she won't quite retrieve yet. I am hoping for the Spring. Major will be starting then too. He's a great heeler and will actually do out of sight group exercises already. GSD's are notorious Mama's boys, that herding instinct makes them want to stick to you like velcro, so I had to start very early with the out of sights to fix the problem before it started. Good luck to you at your next show!!!

Maura

Good luck! Too bad about that reading thing, isn't it? Just as well...if they could read, they'd probably have opposable thumbs, too, and then we'd really be in trouble. Sounds like a lovely venue!

Connery Beagle finished his CD last weekend and then got a bonus leg, both first placements...so he got his title with a 2nd and two firsts, and added a first on the end. It'll be a very long time before we try Open, though. He's a fetchin' fool, but "retrieve a dumbbell" behaviors are so totally different! We'll just run agility for a year while we think about it...

His packmate Belle Cardigan has been injured since mid-August so missed this trial. I've got her entered in Nov B (she needs two legs) and in Exc B rally (needs one leg) in mid-October, but we're waiting on the vet's approval for whether we really go or not. Sigh.

--Doranna

Doranna
September 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I am very impressed! You don't see alot of Beagles in Obedience (and not because they can't do it either) and it's hard to beat those Border Collies out of the ribbons! Hopefully your Cardi will be well enough to compete soon, but I bet there's a winter season near you. We pretty much end in November up here. Angel is almost ready for Open, but she won't quite retrieve yet. I am hoping for the Spring. Major will be starting then too. He's a great heeler and will actually do out of sight group exercises already. GSD's are notorious Mama's boys, that herding instinct makes them want to stick to you like velcro, so I had to start very early with the out of sights to fix the problem before it started. Good luck to you at your next show!!!

Maura

Yep, winter is actually our only season--the early fall show where Connery got his CD was nearly 100F, and people avoid it if they can (I went because it was relatively close)! But although I'm up at altitude where we get plenty of snow and cold, down in the valley it's nice trialing (if a bit of an adjustment for the dogs, going from winter to a "late spring" climate). Our agility season is actually pretty short. Sigh.

Belle Cardi has her vet visit tomorrow to see about that October trial...

Good luck with Major and Angel! Connery is *really* not interested in that dumbbell, oh boy. And "clingy" definitely isn't our problem. Focus, on the other hand... (he worries too much about what's around him...has been attacked by huge dogs twice, saved only because I grabbed him up and held him away, and the attackers wanted *him* and not me, so I didn't go down...first time a Mastiff when he was quite young, last time was the world's biggest wolf hybrid at the last show. ps. will have pepper spray for the next dog show hotel stay)

maura
October 15th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Hi,

We got the RA and would have had a better score if I didn't trip over my feet in the one step two step three step station. I would pick the only one where you get points off for tripping over your own feet!

We had a great judge who actually told me NICELY everything I did wrong. On to the RE.

Maura

--Doranna

Doranna
October 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Hi,

We got the RA and would have had a better score if I didn't trip over my feet in the one step two step three step station. I would pick the only one where you get points off for tripping over your own feet!

We had a great judge who actually told me NICELY everything I did wrong. On to the RE.

Maura

Oh, gosh, the backwards step thing. I practiced that so much without my dogs, just to keep my feet straight! Congrats on the title! Feets or no feets, it's got to feel good!

Belle Cardi is going for her RE this weekend, but it's a big mess...we ended up in Exc B (don't ask) and it's at 8am directly opposite her Nov B obedience. She's dog #1 and #3. I shall now weep. I'm going to spend all my course-memorizing time trying to appease stewards...

maura
October 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Stewards are very good about conflicts, the breed people cause them all the time. They will probably put you at the beginning or end of the class. Rally tends to run later than it should anyway as does reg obedience. Check to see if they allow move ups they may be able to put you in A where you belong. I just found out that I screwed up my entry and have to do one more RA leg. Angel was just a few days out of the 60 day period for her CD so I should have been in B, oh well it's not like she won't qualify next time too. Good luck to you.
Oh, gosh, the backwards step thing. I practiced that so much without my dogs, just to keep my feet straight! Congrats on the title! Feets or no feets, it's got to feel good!

Belle Cardi is going for her RE this weekend, but it's a big mess...we ended up in Exc B (don't ask) and it's at 8am directly opposite her Nov B obedience. She's dog #1 and #3. I shall now weep. I'm going to spend all my course-memorizing time trying to appease stewards...

Doranna
October 17th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Stewards are very good about conflicts, the breed people cause them all the time. They will probably put you at the beginning or end of the class. Rally tends to run later than it should anyway as does reg obedience. Check to see if they allow move ups they may be able to put you in A where you belong. I just found out that I screwed up my entry and have to do one more RA leg. Angel was just a few days out of the 60 day period for her CD so I should have been in B, oh well it's not like she won't qualify next time too. Good luck to you.

Oh! You must want to bang your head against a wall! But yes, you'll get the next one...

(I did check about being moved, and it's too late. I'm okay in Exc. B; the legs will count. But it's not where I *should* be.)

The biggest concern about the conflicts is that the classes are on at 8am, so I'm going to have about half an hour to memorize the rally course, deal with stewards (hope the judge is amenable), and have my emotionally needy dog ready to go at the line. I do have a simple strategy (will ask to be put last in obedience), but if it takes them 20 minutes to deal with that because everyone else is trying to sign in, I won't be ready for rally.

Of course, I'm not one of those people who's all casual about this stuff and just takes it as it comes. I'm one of those people whose hair stands on end when this sort of stuff happens. ==80

Well, what happens, happens! Our next chance at any of it is probably March, due to the agility schedule...

maura
October 19th, 2007, 02:05 PM
If your stewards are anything like our steward's club they will be there at the crack of dawn and the show will start late. I always find that going into Rally settles Angel down for obedience, she is happy and but not out of control because the silliness all went to the rally ring. Just take a deep breath, some rescue remedy if you need it and have fun! As to the move ups, the show I was at was a three day one and they allowed move ups all three days at the trial itself. My club was supposed to do that in July but for some reason they didn't

Maura

Oh! You must want to bang your head against a wall! But yes, you'll get the next one...

(I did check about being moved, and it's too late. I'm okay in Exc. B; the legs will count. But it's not where I *should* be.)

The biggest concern about the conflicts is that the classes are on at 8am, so I'm going to have about half an hour to memorize the rally course, deal with stewards (hope the judge is amenable), and have my emotionally needy dog ready to go at the line. I do have a simple strategy (will ask to be put last in obedience), but if it takes them 20 minutes to deal with that because everyone else is trying to sign in, I won't be ready for rally.

Of course, I'm not one of those people who's all casual about this stuff and just takes it as it comes. I'm one of those people whose hair stands on end when this sort of stuff happens. ==80

Well, what happens, happens! Our next chance at any of it is probably March, due to the agility schedule...

Doranna
October 22nd, 2007, 01:31 AM
If your stewards are anything like our steward's club they will be there at the crack of dawn and the show will start late. I always find that going into Rally settles Angel down for obedience, she is happy and but not out of control because the silliness all went to the rally ring. Just take a deep breath, some rescue remedy if you need it and have fun! As to the move ups, the show I was at was a three day one and they allowed move ups all three days at the trial itself. My club was supposed to do that in July but for some reason they didn't

Maura

It was more of a move-down; I should have been in Exc A. But B was "legal," so the legs are good. Anyway, it wasn't possible to change--I asked both the AKC and the superintendent. And the judge wouldn't change my obedience order at the trial, so...wow, was it a huge big fat hairy mess. Everything pretty much happened at once, with us being the very first dogs on the line for the day at obedience and not far behind that at rally, with only a few moments to walk the course in between rushing to check in and be shown the judging pattern in obedience. Saturday's judge actually started us before the anthem, and we had to stop and start again (we were off in a distant field; I don't think anyone expected we'd be able to hear it at all). Then he forgot we were novice and had us on a 3-minute sit-stay during the group exercises. *sweatsweatsweat* Boy was he embarrassed! Someone got his attention at 2 minutes, though.

Anyway, Belle did it--got all four Qs for the weekend, with two second placements yesterday and today two firsts (she got 100 in rally!). So she has both her RE and her CD, and she's done in those rings! Someday we might ponder an RAE but for now we need to deal with agility. Maybe. My other dog was attacked on the grounds this weekend--the second time this has happened to him--and I have to see if he'll recover in time for trialing, and then if his fear issues from the first attack (first was a Mastiff, today was a Giant Schnauzer) again affect his ability to focus in performance. If it does, I'll likely ditch AKC and start over again in USDAA. In neither instance at AKC was the handler/dog penalized for the behavior (even though today my Beagle got nailed pretty hard), and I don't need to be in a venue where such dogs are allowed to remain.

maura
October 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
It was more of a move-down; I should have been in Exc A. But B was "legal," so the legs are good. Anyway, it wasn't possible to change--I asked both the AKC and the superintendent. And the judge wouldn't change my obedience order at the trial, so...wow, was it a huge big fat hairy mess. Everything pretty much happened at once, with us being the very first dogs on the line for the day at obedience and not far behind that at rally, with only a few moments to walk the course in between rushing to check in and be shown the judging pattern in obedience. Saturday's judge actually started us before the anthem, and we had to stop and start again (we were off in a distant field; I don't think anyone expected we'd be able to hear it at all). Then he forgot we were novice and had us on a 3-minute sit-stay during the group exercises. *sweatsweatsweat* Boy was he embarrassed! Someone got his attention at 2 minutes, though.

Anyway, Belle did it--got all four Qs for the weekend, with two second placements yesterday and today two firsts (she got 100 in rally!). So she has both her RE and her CD, and she's done in those rings! Someday we might ponder an RAE but for now we need to deal with agility. Maybe. My other dog was attacked on the grounds this weekend--the second time this has happened to him--and I have to see if he'll recover in time for trialing, and then if his fear issues from the first attack (first was a Mastiff, today was a Giant Schnauzer) again affect his ability to focus in performance. If it does, I'll likely ditch AKC and start over again in USDAA. In neither instance at AKC was the handler/dog penalized for the behavior (even though today my Beagle got nailed pretty hard), and I don't need to be in a venue where such dogs are allowed to remain.

We were lucky at Brookhaven KC there was an AKC rep on site. My friend's dog got attacked and although no one was ejected(no actual contact), a report was submitted to the AKC and the rep was very nice. Hopefully it won't happen to you again, but you have to insist on it being recorded and I would definitely go to the AKC about it. No dog like that should be on the grounds of an obedience trial. If a dog is dog aggressive it is the handler's responsiblity to keep it under control. I am so sorry that happened to you. I hate clubs that won't take responsibility. Our obedience chair is very strict about things like that and actually put a judge's boyfriend on a "sit-stay" because he was distracting dogs. She has also ejected aggressive dogs. I think more clubs should be like that.

On the good side, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! I am in awe of the 100! I tend to rush and lose points that way. Great job on the CD too!!! Welcome to the B class!

Maura

maura
July 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM
My German Shepherd Major just got his Rally Novice Title and Angel got the first leg for her Rally Excellent. A bug bite made her score go from a 95 to an 85, but we had fun!

hollie
July 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM
congratulations Bouncy Icon Smilie smilies/chickdance.g

maura
July 23rd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks Hollie, it was a rough but rewarding weekend.