PDA

View Full Version : Borders, Your Neighborhood Used Book Stores - ?

Linda Mooney
August 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM
With the traditional publishing industry continuing to turn on its ear, people I've been telling have been asking me what will be the fate of book stores (and from several, used book stores). Where I live (pop. 70,000) we don't have a book store.

Yes. You heard me. There is NO traditional book store. No B&N. No Borders.

However, there is a Hastings, thank goodness. And already they have an entire aisle in their store of used books, mostly hardbacks.

How much longer do you think it will be before the big corporation brick-and-mortar stores start carrying 2nd hand, just to help make ends meet?

AdrianaK
August 7th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Hi Linda - town of 30,000 here, we lost our B Daltons last fall and have a regional chain in that spot, finally - but with print houses like Dorchester going all digital, brick-and-mortar stores may soon be a thing of the past!

Linda Mooney
August 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I was up at Bangor, Maine a couple of summers ago. Their pop is @ 33K, and they have this HUGE two-story book store at the mall. I asked a native about it, and her comment was "in the winter when the snows keep you housebound, what else is there to do?" LOL! I didn't tell her what my first thought was. ;)

AdrianaK
August 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
lol she probably had no clue what you write! But come to think of it, we used to have a Sam Goody's music store and that's gone.

I saw an interesting post on all this today - now that Dorchester's left the print format behind and gone completely digital, will the book industry go the way of the music industry and bypass the middle man? Here's the link:
http://saritzahernandez.blogspot.com/2010/08/future-is-closer-than-we-thought.html

Linda Mooney
August 7th, 2010, 06:22 PM
On Twitter, an agent I used to follow has left her agency. Don't know why she left, but I'm sure we'll see more of it.

Kimberly
August 8th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I used to live in an area in Pennsylvania with a Borders, a Barnes and Noble and a used bookstore. When I moved to Oklahoma, the first thing I looked for was a used bookstore. But now I'm back in Michigan. There's a Barnes and Noble there, but they are so intent on selling Nooks, the salespeople don't know how to steer readers toward anything except those. Most of my books buys are coming from the grocery store or Amazon these days. I'm not an e-book reader (except for my reviews) and the thought of a publisher going for e-books only...well, that puts me off entirely. It's very disappointing for me.