PDA

View Full Version : Travel

RebeccaYork
June 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM
One of my hobbies is traveling--probably because I'm married to a guy who loves going places. A lot of my travel is to conferences. I was at RT earlier this year. And last week I was at BEA--see below.

We're going somewhere every month, now through December. Next up is a quick trip to D.C. to the Spy Museum for a talk, by former CIA employees, on female speis. Since it's at ten in the morning, we're staying overnight at a small hotel a block fromt he museum. The hotel was formerly the D.C. main post office. I've seen pictures of it, and it's basically a marble temple. So it should be interesting.

MY TRIP TO BOOK EXPO AMERICA IN NEW YORK CITY

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/glick/BEA-Harlequin-1.jpg

I was late joining the hobby forum because I was at BEA (Book Expo America) which was held in New York City this year,. Harlequin asked me to autograph ROYAL LOCKDOWN at their booth. The Book Expo was a lot of fun. But for some reason, the Javits Center forgot to turn on the air conditioning the first day. So it was really HOT. And even when they turned it on, it was still pretty uncomfortable. I had bought a jacket to wear to the book signing. But I decided I'd be better off wearing a shirt instead of a jacket.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/glick/BEA-Harlequin-3.jpg

We spent a lot of time looking at the exhibits. The Ellora's Cave booth was one of the more interesting. They'd driven their bus into the Javits Center and used it as the backdrop for their tables. They were giving away decks of cards and some of the fake "lollipops" and "matchbooks" you may have seen at RT. At another booth we got cute animal bookmarks for the grandkids. And we stood in line to get books from authors like Dave Barry, E. L. Konigsburg, Lisa Jackson, Martin Cruz Smith, and David Baldacci. And, of course, I got a lot of books from the other Harlequin and Silhouette authors.

I've been going to BEA off and on for years. And I've watched it change. Years ago, they used to discourage publishers from having book signings at their booths. Now it's part of the fun and advertised in the BEA exhibit directory everyone gets at registration.

I also brought back about fifteen different kinds of cloth book bags to give to friends.

There was a huge cafeteria in the basement with various companies selling food. We got lunch at a Greek stand, and the food was surprisingly good. And upstairs at the sides of the exhibit floor, you could get drinks and ice cream.

For lunch on Friday, we went out to a German/Austrian restaurant with my Intrigue editor and her assistant. It was fun getting together with them and a nice relaxing interlude in the middle of the BEA madness.

ROYAL LOCKDOWN, the book I was autographing, is my June Harlequin Release. It’s the first book in the Lights Out Series, which takes place during a night of panic in Boston. At a glittering international reception at the top of the John Hancock Tower, Princess Ariana of Beau Pays and security expert Shane Peters are mesmerized by each other. Then terrorists invade the reception, capturing the guests and threatening to kill them one by one, starting with Princess Ariana, if they don't turn over the vice president of the United States (who has hidden in a closet).

Shane and Ariana escape, only to find themselves on the run from a man who
will stop at nothing to kill them both. And at the same time, the passion
smoldering between them reaches flash point. But is it possible for these
two very different people to forge a meaningful relationship?

I loved getting into Ariana’s head. At the beginning of the story, she was so uptight that she wouldn’t even dance with Shane. By the end of the story, she was making love with him in the back of a limo. (And she had some hot romantic adventures with him along the way.)

I also loved researching the locations for this book-from Copley Square to the
undercroft of Trinity Church to the beautiful residential neighborhoods of
the Back Bay.

Rebecca York

Karenne
June 9th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Oh wow! Thank you Rebecca! Those are great pictures!:winkiss:

RebeccaYork
June 9th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Thanks.
We're going on a very quick trip Monday, to Washington, D.C., to a lecture at the Spy Museum on women spies. Since its at ten a. m. Tuesday, we're going the night before and staying at a really cool hotel that's only a block away. The building used to be the main D. C. post office, so I'm anxious to see what they've done with it.
Rebecca

Angela Caperton
June 9th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I have been very fortunate to have traveled a great deal. My father was in the military, so even my first real memories are of Hawaii. Living on a sailboat I saw a great deal of coastal Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, and later I lived in Germany for many years and traveled throughout Europe. After being gone for ten years, just last year I was able to return to Amsterdam and Paris for a vacation. I practically had to be put back on the return flight at gun point.

And yet for all my foreign adventures (I wouldn't trade one of them!) I am pretty lacking in domestic travel experience and very much want to change that. I want to spend about a week in Washington DC, I want to go to New York, up along the Maine coast, the beaches of the Carolinas, Chicago, spend more time in San Fransisco, the deserts of Arizona and New Mexico, San Antonio, Texas - and LOTS of other places in this country.

And I will eventually. Just a matter of time.

Thank you so much for the pics, Rebecca!