PDA

View Full Version : Lesson 4 - The Marketing Folder

kayelle_allen
June 6th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Please scan and download the attachment for this lesson.

Ok, before you all break out the psychology books and diagnose me as an OCDC neat freak :nah: let me explain. I work on computers all day and then come home and do it all evening. I've done this for years, and sadly it's resulted in carpal tunnel syndrome. Translated, it means mouse/click avoidance to reduce pain is the modus operandi around here.

I'm not about to give up writing or doing the other things online that I love, so I have had to find more efficient ways to do them. One of those is having everything at my fingertips (literally) and being able to lay my hands on a file instantly. FYI - in case you're wondering, nooooo the rest of my house does *not* look this neat! :err:

The image is fairly self-explanatory, so I'll let it do the teaching for a bit. Any questions?

---
for those curious: I make these screenshots using a cool little program called SnagIt. Cheap, and useful as all get out when you're a webmaster!

kayelle_allen
June 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Please scan and download the attachment for this lesson.

OK - :arghhhh: ignore that - the blamed thing came out about 2" square and not readable. Let me mess with that and try it again. Back in 2 minutes.

kayelle_allen
June 6th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Ok, I sent copies to Karenne, so I'm hoping she can help me with this one. My versions are gorgeous! But the one that attaches here is itsy bitsy. Wish me luck with this one.

Hopefully this will be resolved tonight.

kayelle_allen
June 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Ok, I sent copies to Karenne, so I'm hoping she can help me with this one. My versions are gorgeous! But the one that attaches here is itsy bitsy. Wish me luck with this one.

Hopefully this will be resolved tonight.

Ok. It's 11:30p and no go - we will tackle this tomorrow. Not to worry - there is always a plan and a work around. We just need to find it.

Back tomorrow to go over more details.

Karenne
June 7th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Sorry! I was not around yesterday. Here it is Kayelle

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/images/Lesson 4 Marketing folder.jpg

kayelle_allen
June 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Thank you Karenne! This really helps. Gee, how do you make it come out like that? I want to do that for the next lesson too. :)

HH Self
June 7th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Thank you for the pic of the filing system. Monkey see monkey do, works so much better for me. :yes:
www.hhself.net (http://www.hhself.net)

kayelle_allen
June 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Thank you for the pic of the filing system. Monkey see monkey do, works so much better for me. :yes:
www.hhself.net (http://www.hhself.net)

That's so true! I'm a visual person. I want to be shown! :)

torrentwaters
June 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I understand how some of the folders should be separate, but for Books wouldn't it be easier to have all the info for each book in the same folder?

kayelle_allen
June 9th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I understand how some of the folders should be separate, but for Books wouldn't it be easier to have all the info for each book in the same folder?

Sure! There are times I am promoting only one book for a project, so I like having very little else to get in the way visually.

Remember to name the excerpts first by the book so they sort together. If you have ten books that you're promoting, you could end up with 40 excerpts in one folder, which could be a little confusing, I guess. However, for only a few, that should work well.

Whatever makes it easiest for you to be your streamlined best.

Sascha_Illyvich
June 28th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Kayelle,

Something that might be helpful in saving time would be if you shared how you organize your email folders too. Any suggestions?

Sascha

kayelle_allen
June 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Kayelle,

Something that might be helpful in saving time would be if you shared how you organize your email folders too. Any suggestions?

Sascha

This is a really good question, Sascha. I use yahoo and love it. It's free, has no size limit, and allows up to 200 folders. I know that last bit because I actually tried to go over that and it wouldn't let me. *_* I am the Folder Queen, apparently. But I do have a few tricks that are real timesavers.

Yahoo's folders are on the left side of the screen, like Outlook. Yours may be totally different, but perhaps you can adapt. I use a numbering system to bring much used folders to the top. Not simply the usual 1, 2, 3 - because then if you renamed one, you might have to renumber several to avoid holes. I'm a neat freak when it comes to the screen, and I'm linear in the way I approach organization. If you can create a system that works, then you can duplicate it and make it work elsewhere.

My top folder is 0 0 curr_contest. Why? Anything with a 0 and a space jumps to the top. curr_contest is where I put entries for contests that I'm running on a chat - something that's not long term. When I'm finished with the contest, I move the winner to 0 2 Winners, and put the rest in the folder I use for that month's promos. Here's a short list:

0 0 curr_contest
0 1 Immediate
0 2 Winners
00 MFRW
00 Manlove
000 Author Day
0000 Alitus
0000 Jawk
0000 Wulf
0607 Promos
0707 Promos
0807 Promos
0907 Promos...etc.
2007 Q1-Q2
2008 Promos

Notice the 00 and 000, plus 0000. This puts them in order without real numbers. When I'm finished with a folder for promos, I rename it by putting an x in front of it. Pow, it zooms right to the bottom of the list. At the end of the quarter, I open the folder, highlight all the messages and move them to 2007 Q1-Q2. Then I can delete the empty folder, or rename it.

The 2008 Promos folder is where I put things planned for next year. In about two months, I'll be creating 0108, 0208, etc and will move things there. But for now, I can find everything in one place.

Notice all my books have folders that begin with 0000. This brings all of them together, because Alitus, Jawk, and Wulf wouldn't be anywhere near each other in a usual list.

One more note about email. Use groups, aka distribution lists. It's a way to put people together that you email frequently. Even if you don't email them all at once, it will still help you categorize them. I have only a few, but they are powerful. Because I send out birthday ecards to readers every year, I need their emails! I have a category just for that. I also have a list of Reviewers, PromoBuddies, Street-Teams, Chats, and one treasure trove called Releases.

My Releases list is used only for those who want to know when a new book is out. I send them one email the day before a new book comes out. Do I promo to them? I promise not to. However, they may also be members of my personal group, on my birthday card list, or on my Chat list. I respect their wish not to be emailed with every update, and I like to think that gains their respect.

kayelle_allen
June 30th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Thought I would mention this, since it slipped my mind last night. Regarding naming folders like this:

0607 Promos
0707 Promos
0807 Promos
0907 Promos...etc.

Your PC does not sort the way you would like it to, does it? Jan08 will come after Dec08! And forget using 01/08 or even 01-08 on some programs. But if you use the system above, it will always sort properly.

It's a matter of making the program work the way you want it to. You know that old saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade?" It's just another version of "Bloom where you're planted."

Making software work *for* you is often the difference between visualizing something as either a "bug" or a "feature". Think "feature." :rockon: