PDA

View Full Version : August 2010 Chat is Here!

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM
This is where we'll chat with all our fans and readers TODAY, August 12th. Join us at noon EST! :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Good afternoon, Coffee Time! Are y'all ready to chat???? :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Whew, how are folks surviving the summer? It's hideous in Georgia! Come on, fall!

But are you all reading good, sweet romances to help pass the misery of these suffering days?? :jump:

HywelaLyn
August 12th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hi MM and Sweetest authors. I wish I could send you some of our weather! It's cool and damp. My little dog Bouncer suggested we only go a short walk today, in between showers, insisted on having his wax jacket put on before he would even stick his head out of the door and couldn't get back home soon enough!

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Readers/lurkers, do you have questions for your Sweetest authors? We hope to answer them, if you'll only ask! :)

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
It's still "Good Morning" here in West Tennessee. LOL Sorry I'm late. Computer is slow today. Been trying to get in for 12 minutes.

Boy! It's hot here!

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hi MM and Sweetest authors. I wish I could send you some of our weather! It's cool and damp. My little dog Bouncer suggested we only go a short walk today, in between showers, insisted on having his wax jacket put on before he would even stick his head out of the door and couldn't get back home soon enough!

Oh, gimme that weather!! I think I've forgotten what rain looks like! LOL

Gotta love Bouncer. He is one SMART dog! :)

yadkny
August 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
It's still morning here and not bad weather wise until the afternoon comes around and then it's sweltering. Lots and lots of romance books are how I deal with the summer. I absolutely love the fall and spring time.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:13 PM
It's still "Good Morning" here in West Tennessee. LOL Sorry I'm late. Computer is slow today. Been trying to get in for 12 minutes.

Boy! It's hot here!

Hi, Laurie, it's great to see you, and the heat interferes with our pc's too! I've had to shut mine down during the worst parts of the days.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM
It's still morning here and not bad weather wise until the afternoon comes around and then it's sweltering. Lots and lots of romance books are how I deal with the summer. I absolutely love the fall and spring time.

I love the fall and spring time too, the fall absolute best! :)

DanielleThorne
August 12th, 2010, 12:16 PM

I'll be bouncing in and out all day--ready to chit chat and hear everyone's comments about their fall reading plans and how they are surviving the close of summer.

It's been hot in central GA, too--we've had a bad year with our garden. We lost a peach tree and some blueberries, too. I have only gotten a few banana peppers.

I'm reading 3 books right now--by Chikki Brown, Stephanie Burkhart and a new sweet I'm reviewing for a review site. Whew!

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I've about reached the limit on posting attachments, so I'm afraid I can't include book covers today. But covers are shown in the forum here of The Sweetest Romance in our "Book Gallery". :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Danielle,

Our garden is shot too, though surprisingly, the okra is still blooming and we're getting good pods. :)

Now you've been busy with books this summer! Wonderful!

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Me too! I love fall and spring....and....romance books. Welcome to our chat, yadkny!

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'd like to start off by mentioning some reads from three of our authors here that I've read this summer.

Laurean Brooks, Over the Coals: Short Story. Sometimes appearances are deceiving and we can jump too quickly to the wrong assumptions. Excellent summer time romance.

Anne Patrick, Silencing Evil: Full length romantic suspense. A surprise at the end when you discover the villain and the reason for wanting to silence our heroine. Great story, complete with delightful dog friend.

Danielle Thorne, The Privateer: Historical, with a touch of romance. This book surprised me all the way through as the characters revealed themselves slowly. Be prepared for accurate descriptions of barbaric pirates. I was saddened by the character of Reese. But this one will stay locked in my memories for all time.

yadkny
August 12th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks :) Shh! I'm supposed to be working, but I think I can multi-task.

Me too! I love fall and spring....and....romance books. Welcome to our chat, yadkny!

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I took a Legal Secretary course in 2000, and I remember those summer classes when the heat affected the computers in our classrooms. Seems there was always a tech working on at least one. Cold doesn't get to computers; heat does.

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Yadkny, Mum's the word. We won't tell. Sh-hhh! LOL. We are glad you are here. So you like to read? Tell us what kinds of books you like.

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I'm reading Gum Drop Island. I must admit it's wonderful to drift off into La-la land "before" I go to sleep and dream of a tropical island where sweet confections are there for the grabbing.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Laurie, I'll be glad when you're able to get DSL out in your area. There are still problems (mine still dies for no apparent reasons), but it's sooooo much better than dialup! :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I'm reading Gum Drop Island. I must admit it's wonderful to drift off into La-la land "before" I go to sleep and dream of a tropical island where sweet confections are there for the grabbing.

hee hee, what do you think of those wild "illustrations"? Not even sure that's the proper word for those rascals. :)

But thank you, ma'am, for the delightful compliment. :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
My latest romantic suspense/mystery, "Catch Me If You Can" is at print at Amazon, (http://www.amazon.com/Catch-Me-If-You-Can/dp/1453659196/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_3/179-8591851-4881501) and in digital at Smashwords. (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/17475)

Along with my five star review too! :)

On the Amazon page, there is a free "peek inside" feature too. Help yourself to reading the first chapter...FREE! :)

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Thank you, Miss Mae. I enjoyed writing Over The Coals. Like most my stories, this one didn't go as planned. My heroine was to be the one with major issues of trust, but as it turned out my hero had bigger issues. Issues you can only imagine.....

yadkny
August 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Well what got me back into reading after a long disinterested drought was paranormal romance, but I've since found so many great authors in all manners of romance sub genres that I am, these days, fairly open to anything romance related. I try to keep an open mind and at least try everything once. I do reviews for a few sites and that has really helped with giving me a broader spectrum of authors to get to know and I've found some really great ones. Then of course there are places like CTR that help with getting to know you all as well :)

Yadkny, Mum's the word. We won't tell. Sh-hhh! LOL. We are glad you are here. So you like to read? Tell us what kinds of books you like.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I really liked how you described the peach picking. Made me salivate for a juicy, ripe peach, yum, fresh off the tree!

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I was just going to mention, "Catch Me If You Can." I read those "Surprise Me" pages in this book on Amazon. Miss Mae, I think your stories just get better and better. Your characters are so real it doesn't take long before you are squelching the urge to slap some of them and rescue the others. LOL.

Oh dear! Did I say that? But, you know what I mean?

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Well what got me back into reading after a long disinterested drought was paranormal romance, but I've since found so many great authors in all manners of romance sub genres that I am, these days, fairly open to anything romance related. I try to keep an open mind and at least try everything once. I do reviews for a few sites and that has really helped with giving me a broader spectrum of authors to get to know and I've found some really great ones. Then of course there are places like CTR that help with getting to know you all as well :)

We appreciate getting feedback from readers. It gets lonely when the public, whom we write for too, remains silent. So thanks for being here, Y. (can I just say "Y" and keep it short that way? LOL)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I was just going to mention, "Catch Me If You Can." I read those "Surprise Me" pages in this book on Amazon. Miss Mae, I think your stories just get better and better. Your characters are so real it doesn't take long before you are squelching the urge to slap some of them and rescue the others. LOL.

Oh dear! Did I say that? But, you know what I mean?

LOL, know what you mean, and love it! :)

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
You are making "Me" crave peaches. I have a few. May have to go after one.

Over The Coals includes an issue I'm passionate about. Parts of it weren't easy to write. But I think the issue needs to be addressed. And I loved making up all those characters involved in a Volley Ball game. The slow-witted Bubba and ditzy Tina, for instance. They were a lot of fun.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM
The Sweetest Romance Authors is comprised of many members, and excellent authors. However, we all can't be here at the same time, or hours, so you'll see different ones as we take "shifts". :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
That's right! This short read, "Fated Destiny" is available at Smashwords, (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18215) or straight from my website! (http://www.missmaesite.com/freefateddestiny.htm)

What are you waiting on? :)

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Lol,lol,lol. I just noticed you've used "sneaky" as your mood.

Do you review independently or for a particular site? You say you try to read all genres. Do you read inspirational romance like Karen Kingsbury.

A few people told me I write like her. Since I hadn't read any of her books, I've begun one out of curiosity. I think I know what they are saying now. She likes to get inside of each characters head to let you know what they think and feel. That is my favorite part of writing.

Sh-hh! Don't tell anyone, but I dislike writing description, as in scenery, objects, what the character is wearing, etc.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
"See No Evil, My Pretty Lady", my historical romantic mystery is now available in print at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/See-No-Evil-Pretty-Lady/dp/1452808155/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2) (and B&N and other retailers), and in digital format at Smashwords. (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/13752)

Come over to my site and watch the incredible video (http://www.missmaesite.com/seenoevilbookpage.htm)! :) (scroll down page)

At Amazon, it too, has the FREE "peek inside" feature! :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM
"Dove Island" (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4934), my short historical romance won 2nd place in the 2009 P&E Short Story Romance! :)

Thanks to those who voted! :)

Watch the video either at SW, or come over to my site! (http://www.missmaesite.com/doveisland.htm) :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 01:07 PM
"Said the Spider to the Fly" won numerous awards including "Best Book of the Week" from both LASR and The Romance Studio. :)

Again, you guessed it -- in print at Amazon, (http://www.amazon.com/Said-Spider-Fly-Miss-Mae/dp/145365982X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4) with the video ready to be previewed at my website. (http://www.missmaesite.com/saidspidertothefly.htm) :)

Oops, I see I have the wrong cover on my website too. LOL That needs to get taken care of! :)

yadkny
August 12th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I write reviews for The Pagan and The Pen Reviews, Happily Ever After Reviews and (just joined) Night Owl Romance Reviews. I haven't had the opportunity to read any inspirational romance yet, but plan to, and I have heard of Karen Kingsbury.

It's got to be somewhat difficult to find the right balance when your writing descriptions. I've found some authors who take what seem like chapters describing a scene and others who take just a few words to describe something, so it's to me not enough to really grasp it.

btw - I won't tell :)

Lol,lol,lol. I just noticed you've used "sneaky" as your mood.

Do you review independently or for a particular site? You say you try to read all genres. Do you read inspirational romance like Karen Kingsbury.

A few people told me I write like her. Since I hadn't read any of her books, I've begun one out of curiosity. I think I know what they are saying now. She likes to get inside of each characters head to let you know what they think and feel. That is my favorite part of writing.

Sh-hh! Don't tell anyone, but I dislike writing description, as in scenery, objects, what the character is wearing, etc.

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I write reviews for The Pagan and The Pen Reviews, Happily Ever After Reviews and (just joined) Night Owl Romance Reviews. I haven't had the opportunity to read any inspirational romance yet, but plan to, and I have heard of Karen Kingsbury.

It's got to be somewhat difficult to find the right balance when your writing descriptions. I've found some authors who take what seem like chapters describing a scene and others who take just a few words to describe something, so it's to me not enough to really grasp it.

btw - I won't tell :)
Thanks for keeping my secret. LOL. I just realized something. I don't like reading a lot of description. Could be why I don't like writing it. Hm-mmm, a new revelation.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM
My young adult, "When the Bough Breaks" is, I'm happy to report, winner of the 2009 P&E YA Category. I love this story and am thrilled at its success!

Again, uh huh, print at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/When-Bough-Breaks-Miss-Mae/dp/1936167018/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1) and in digital at Smashwords. (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15370) Watch the amazing video at my website (http://www.missmaesite.com/whentheboughbreaks.htm). :)

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM
"Over The Coals" is one story in a 5-author romance anthology titled "A Summer Collection." Available at Smashwords, Amazon, etc. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/14519/ Be sure to watch the awesome video.

Jill thinks she's a great discerner of character. When a flirty blonde hovers over the gregarious Rob while he mans the grill, she is sure he's a womanizer...a rake if you please.

But is he? When Jill and Rob are alone, he withdraws. Especially, when she questions him about his past. What's really up here?

Does Rob have a dual personality? What is he hiding? Jill determines to dig until she find out. But, can she handle the find from her excavation?

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
"Jonquils In The Snow," a short story of renewed courage for a new beginning.

Miranda Stevens' finance' skipped town two days before their wedding. Two years later when a honey-eyed, blond man in coveralls appears at her door, Miranda is ready to move on.

Brady Watson's anger has morphed into grief over losing his wife to a drunk driver. Three long years...still he can't get past the sorrow.

Miranda determines to find a way to convince Brady it's time to move on. But can she do it? Will Brady reach out to Miranda and a new beginning, or will he forfeit his future and cling to his grief?

Could the answer be found in something as simple as a cluster of Jonquils bursting through the snow?

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341/ Watch the video. It's beautiful!

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 01:27 PM

That's quite a lot of reviewing! How do you manage it? :)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I am now producing a newsletter! So folks won't be overwhelmed, it's only bi-monthly. To be added to the subscription lists, send an email with the heading of "subscribe" to MissMaeNews AT rocketmail dot com

Isn't that ez? :)

DanielleThorne
August 12th, 2010, 01:31 PM

Amen to that. Reviewers don't get enough notice for the uncompensated hard work they do. I only review on occasion now because I'm so busy, but I do it because I love it.

I can tell you--I sure appreciate with all my heart every review I get because I know they took the time out for me to not only read but to write down their opinions.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I agree absolutely, Danielle! Reviewers aren't appreciated like they should be!

yadkny
August 12th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm still not even sure some days myself :) There are just so many books out there waiting to be discovered and then on top of that my TBR list is just way too much. Reviewing has it's benefits, but it also just feeds my addiction which probably isn't so good, but I'm having fun.

DanielleThorne
August 12th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'd like to start off by mentioning some reads from three of our authors here that I've read this summer.

Danielle Thorne, The Privateer: Historical, with a touch of romance. This book surprised me all the way through as the characters revealed themselves slowly. Be prepared for accurate descriptions of barbaric pirates. I was saddened by the character of Reese. But this one will stay locked in my memories for all time.

Thanks for the mention, Miss Mae. I loved writing the historical, THE PRIVATEER. It's going to be republished this January--the original longer 72K version but with tighter editing. I'm looking forward to it. One's first book always stays near and dear to the heart.

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Danielle, I admire you for taking on that historical era. I love watching the pirate movies. I saw one starring Erroll Flynn the other night. Wow! He was handsome.

I like the way you bring out the emotions in your characters. It's like being there. Like I said about Miss Mae's stories. They become so real, you want to slap some and rescue others. LOL.

DanielleThorne
August 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Danielle, I admire you for taking on that historical era. I love watching the pirate movies. I saw one starring Erroll Flynn the other night. Wow! He was handsome.

I like the way you bring out the emotions in your characters. It's like being there. Like I said about Miss Mae's stories. They become so real, you want to slap some and rescue others. LOL.

Wow, thank you, Laurean. That's a big compliment coming from someone like you who has already mastered the art of character-driven stories.

You know--that's what's kind of cool about meeting other authors and getting to know them. Everyone has their own strengths that we can learn from.

Gail Pallotta
August 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hello Everyone,
Yes, it's hot in Georgia. What did we do before air conditioning? I can remember not having it. My dad put huge fans strategically place, so one blew out hot air and the other generated cool air.

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Wow, thank you, Laurean. That's a big compliment coming from someone like you who has already mastered the art of character-driven stories.

You know--that's what's kind of cool about meeting other authors and getting to know them. Everyone has their own strengths that we can learn from.
I know what you mean, Dani. Sometimes I wish I could trade another author "dialogue" for "description." Ugh! Description is painful for me to write. I don't possess that gift for smooth flowing words. On the other hand, I think I do pretty good with dialogue.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Not only do I write sweet, G-rated romantic mysteries, but I'm also a free lancer. I've been published in Writers Weekly with non-fiction articles, and also with Good Old Days and The Front Porch Magazine. Each month I contribute to the ezine American Chronicle.

Now I've thrown in my hand/hat/foot/mouth/ whatever! to the realm of ridiculous humor tales. :)

My alter ego, M.M., (http://www.amazon.com/M.-M./e/B003XK9IIO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1) has penned Book 1 of "The Mishaps of (http://www.amazon.com/Mishaps-Gum-Drop-Island-Book/dp/1453689966/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281635225&sr=1-1) Gum Drop Island". Reception has been wonderful, thank you for the kind reviews.

New website for this zany story is here. (http://mishapsofgumdropisland.webs.com)

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Hello Everyone,
Yes, it's hot in Georgia. What did we do before air conditioning? I can remember not having it. My dad put huge fans strategically place, so one blew out hot air and the other generated cool air.

Gail, hello and welcome! I know what you mean. I think about when all we had was shade trees. How did we manage????

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hello Everyone,
It's hot in Tennessee, too. My dogs were begging to come in. Daddy's gone for a few hours. Sometimes I let them in while he's away. (Sh-hhh! What he don't know won't hurt him.)

We have a box fan on the carport. They lie in front of it all day and most of the night. Hubby pulled a piece of underpinning off the house so the fan can pull the cool air out. That works well since our central unit has some air leaks somewhere in the duct work.

Two rooms in our house have no air coming thru the vents. Man! I'll be glad when we start having cool nights, at least.

Gail Pallotta
August 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM
It's a quick "hello" and "good-bye" for me. I'm having company, but I hope you have a great time chatting.

Gail Pallotta
August 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Nobody's getting a mountain breeze. When I was growing up at the foothills of the N.C. mountains, we got a breeze in the evenings. Well, stay cool. I gotta' go. Miss ya'.

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Bye, Gail. Enjoy your company. :)

I have to take a break now too. Hopefully, some more "sweeties" will pop over and bring news of their latest happenings. :)

DanielleThorne
August 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Hi Visitors--

Just a quick hello and thanks for coming by the SRA chat today. I write sweet sea adventure in both historical and contemporary genres, from south of Atlanta. My latest release is BY HEART AND COMPASS--please visit my website to find out all about it and see the blurb below for a sneak peek:

"When Lacey Whitman buys a restored Victorian home, she never dreams discovering an antique diary will lead her back to sea and into the arms of the dive bum she’d rather forget. Her habit of living in the past comes to a screeching halt as diver Max Bertrand and the diary of his ancestor take Lacey on the quest of a lifetime: To discover and raise the privateer ship, Specter, and bring the treasure and legacy of a true hero home again. But will finding it cost her heart?"

More? http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-96/By-Heart-and-Compass/Detail.bok

I'm going to be around the next hour so if you have any questions just speak up and I'll be happy to answer any questions abt the Sweetie authors or myself!

Have a great day!

<hr>

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM
JOURNEY TO FORGIVENESS, a historical, inspirational with sassy characters, published by White Rose Publishing www.whiterosepublishing.com/ (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/) Click on "historical" tab.

Jenny Hinson has her hands full with her plan to expose Austin Grant. He stole her vanity case at the Kankakee train station. Now he's taken money from the mission strong box. Aha! She knew she would catch him at something! This was the main reason she joined the mission trip.

Austin Grant wonders why this little spitfire with the turquoise eyes, takes offense at everything he says. Austin: "But, boy, is it fun to get her stirred! Can she be tamed? Nah! That wouldn't be good." He likes her spirit. "Just wish she would give me a chance. What goes on inside Jenny's head? Why is she so leery of men?"

Jenny comes from an abusive background. Her father beat her and her mother. When the abuse was discovered, he deserted the family, leaving for parts unknown. Now Jenny and her mother must run their Tennessee farm and support the younger ones.

When the cotton crop fails, Jenny's only option is to hop a train to Chicago to find employment? But the sparks fly at her first encounter with Austin Grant. Jenny: "How dare he steal my vanity case!"

Then he shows up at her aunt's church to "bilk" money from the congregation, for a so-called "worthy cause." Jenny: "Ha! We will see about that! By the time I get through with Austin Grant, he will wish he'd never seen me."

Read the blurb at www.whiterosepublishing.com (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com). Read interviews with Jenny and Austin at Laurean's Lore. http://laureanslore.blogspot.com And be sure to view the wonderful video that won second place in the "You Gotta Read" video contest. Aren't Austin's eyes beautiful?

You can check the book out on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Whoa! CTR logged me out and I couldn't remember how to get back in! LOL! Thank goodness my brain finally kicked in.

Actually, I just popped in to say I haven't forgotten we're chatting, but I have to run to an appointment, and then I'll be back. I'll try to bring some Snickers with me when I come. They may be a puddle of chocolatey goo, but hey, even melted chocolate is yummy!

Hope to catch up with you all soon! smilies/candy.gif

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Whoa! CTR logged me out and I couldn't remember how to get back in! LOL! Thank goodness my brain finally kicked in.

Actually, I just popped in to say I haven't forgotten we're chatting, but I have to run to an appointment, and then I'll be back. I'll try to bring some Snickers with me when I come. They may be a puddle of chocolatey goo, but hey, even melted chocolate is yummy!

Hope to catch up with you all soon! smilies/candy.gif
Hurry back, Joyce. And don't forget the Snickers. Melted is the best kind of chocolate.

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi Everybody: I finally got in. I grabbed the chance to edit my profile details as I'm reading the fifth book of Frank Herbert's six Dune books. Boy it was a long time ago that I read the first four. I have the sixth and final one on my shelf too. Larry

Miss Mae
August 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hi Larry and Joyce,

Glad you made it over. :) It's that time of evening to where the heat is unbearable, so I need to shut the pc down.

Enjoy the chat, everyone! :)

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hmm: It looks like everybody is offline. I'll post another tidbit a little more interesting than the previous one. I have two novels out in the wings waiting on words such as accepted, send the rest of it or rejected. One is my science fiction novel, the last one I wrote featuring the characters many of you read about in my blog. The other one is brand new, my Lab Partners characters cast in modern times rather than the 1950s. No they didn't time travel. This is Leroy and Jody's real story, 70,000 words plus. It is strictly romance and nothing more. Larry

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Hi Larry,

Are you the only one here? I brought a bag of Snickers, as promised. Sorry they're a little squishy from the heat. Feel free to pop them in the fridge for awhile. I hope no one is allergic to virtual peanuts! :fridge:

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM
So Larry, what inspired you to write a story about Leroy and Jody in modern times? Are they the same age they were in the 1950s, or have they grown a matured?

Hmm: It looks like everybody is offline. I'll post another tidbit a little more interesting than the previous one. I have two novels out in the wings waiting on words such as accepted, send the rest of it or rejected. One is my science fiction novel, the last one I wrote featuring the characters many of you read about in my blog. The other one is brand new, my Lab Partners characters cast in modern times rather than the 1950s. No they didn't time travel. This is Leroy and Jody's real story, 70,000 words plus. It is strictly romance and nothing more. Larry

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I think so, Joyce. As always it is good to hear from you. It is plenty hot here in southern Indiana too. I just got back from Bloomington where I had lunch with a long time buddy from when we used to work together. MIss Mae replied briefly to my first post. Larry

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks for asking, Joyce. Have you read Lab Partners. I like the characters I've created and wanted to detail their love story. The novel begins with them after they graduated from high school and covers until they graduated from college and two years into the work place. Jody is Leroy's supervisor. Larry

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I haven't had a chance to read Lab Partners yet, but it's on my wish list! I've so enjoyed the excerpts you've shared with us in past chats. It sounds like such a fun story!

Thanks for asking, Joyce. Have you read Lab Partners. I like the characters I've created and wanted to detail their love story. The novel begins with them after they graduated from high school and covers until they graduated from college and two years into the work place. Jody is Leroy's supervisor. Larry

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I believe I've had 14 downloads of Lab Partners. It has been my most popular ebook if you can call 14 popular. I look forward to your input after you read it. The novel has Leroy and Jody coming off unhappy relationships from high school. Leroy's reaction is sadness where Jody's reaction is intense anger. They have both vowed to avoid the opposite sex while in college.
Hey, what is the name of that new novel of yours again that you say is intermediate between Web and Illuminations? Sounds as though I need to read that one before Illuminations. You know of course I've read Loyalty's Web.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I've started a couple of new blogs since our last chat, both based on my medieval novels.

Here is a description of the first one:

Quill to Quill (http://quilltoquill.blogspot.com) is a place where the women of my medieval novels reach out to one another in written correspondence. Some of these women are related by blood, others drawn together through ties to men they both love. Ultimately, all are bound to one another by a deep and abiding friendship.

For those who read my novels and reached “the end” and wondered to themselves, “What happened next?”, some answers will be found in these letters written by my heroines themselves. More heroines will be added as future books are published.

Here's a brief excerpt from Heléne's (from Loyalty's Web) first letter to Siri (from Illuminations of the Heart).

To My Lady Siriol de Brielle,

I have tapped this quill against my lips so many times that my nose has been sorely tickled while I rack my brains for the best way to introduce myself. There seems to be no delicate way, or if there is, I have not discovered it.... The most incredible tales have reached these shores of an uncanny resemblance you bear to my late sister, Clothilde...

Whoops! I don't want to give too much away for those who have not yet read my books. But if you've read my books, or don't mind reading spoilers, check out Quill to Quill (http://quilltoquill.blogspot.com) and click on the links to the letters in the left hand sidebar.

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
That sounds like a novel approach (no pun intended) to your intermediate story, Quill to Quill. Perhaps I'd better not read the spoilers.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I don't have a book out that's between Loyalty's Web and Illuminations of the Heart. I'm writing a new one that follows one of the characters from Illuminations, but I'm still a long way from finishing it, alas, which means I'm even longer away from publishing it. But I'm still plugging along on it, so hopefully one day it'll see the light of day for readers. :)

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
So Larry, what inspired you to move Leroy and Jody's story from the 1950s to modern times? I'm curious. :)

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hi again, Joyce: I think I see now. I should check in on your blog so I can be accurate in my remarks. Again, it is an interesting approach so it seems I need to read Illuminations and then pop into your blog for the Quill to Quill.

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Joyce, I'm sorry I didn't answer your original question about Leroy and Jody. I don't have a good answer except I wanted to write something in modern times. I suppose I could have just as well written the whole new novel in the 1950s. It seems that all my short stories written in modern times submitted to the one website have been rejected. That is an incentive to show I can write acceptable stories in modern time settings. Motorcycle Woman was in modern times and was rejected initially at one website and finally accepted at Red Rose after a couple of editors worked with me on it. Sadly, I believe there have only been four downloads on it.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Larry, since you've read Loyalty's Web, you'd be safe to read my second new blog, Quill to Quill and Heart to Heart (http://quilltoquill-hearttoheart.blogspot.com).

Description: Quill to Quill and Heart to Heart (http://quilltoquill-hearttoheart.blogspot.com) is a sister blog to Quill to Quill (http://quilltoquill.blogspot.com). Quill to Quill and Heart to Heart (http://quilltoquill-hearttoheart.blogspot.com) fills in the blanks between Loyalty's Web and Illuminations of the Heart (1176-1179) through a series of letters from Heléne to the three men in her life she most loves: her husband, Hugh de Bury, Earl of Gunthar; her father, Lord Laurant; and her brother, Therri. When royal business draws them apart, Gunthar's letters to Heléne will also appear on this blog.

Here's a short excerpt from Heléne's first letter to her father, after her marriage to Gunthar:

As well you know from our marriage contract, my lord holds many castles here. His favorite is called Lamhurst in the county of Kent, from which I write to you this letter. I think if he has his way, it is here that we will make the better part of our home, though he promises to take me on a tour of all his lands when summer comes. This castle is large and sprawling—ever so much larger than Pennault or any of your other fortresses, Papa. My lord says it was built by his ancestor, Rodulf le Féroce, a Norman baron who was awarded castles in Kent, Gloucester, Wiltshire and York by King William I for helping him conquer the Saxons. My lord has the most beautifully illuminated pedigree scroll in his library here at Lamhurst. (Oh, Papa, he has a library! I shall tell you all about it one day. Nearly all the books are in Latin, but Hugh promises that I may be taught if I like, so that I may read them, so of course I told him I should like that very much!)

If you'd like to read the rest of this letter, visit Quill to Quill and Heart to Heart (http://quilltoquill-hearttoheart.blogspot.com) and click on the tab that says "Quill to Quill: Heléne to Her Father"

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM
That makes sense, Larry. (About moving Leroy and Jody to modern times.) It's really hard to know how to get the word out about our books, isn't it?

Joyce, I'm sorry I didn't answer your original question about Leroy and Jody. I don't have a good answer except I wanted to write something in modern times. I suppose I could have just as well written the whole new novel in the 1950s. It seems that all my short stories written in modern times submitted to the one website have been rejected. That is an incentive to show I can write acceptable stories in modern time settings. Motorcycle Woman was in modern times and was rejected initially at one website and finally accepted at Red Rose after a couple of editors worked with me on it. Sadly, I believe there have only been four downloads on it.

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Joyce: I just read the Helene to Father letter at your blog. You certainly tell a compelling story and put a lot of thought into the newly wed's activities.
My Leroy and Jody venture is called A Change of Heart. I've submitted it to a fairly new publisher Romance at Hearts Publication. They promised to give me some idea in less than a month so I'm anxiously waiting. I guess this novel is still considered WIP even though I've revised it quite a bit. If I can remember how to do it I may give you an excerpt here later.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Okay, the Snickers are all firmed up. I'm tossing them out on the virtual table. <thunk!> Looks like only Larry and I am here to eat them, though. Darn! smilies/bounce.gif (Unless there are any lurkers hanging around, in which case, feel free to snabble a bar!) smilies/candy.gif

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Lurkers had better hurry 'cause I've always been partial to Snickers.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for reading my Quill to Quill (http://quilltoquill-hearttoheart.blogspot.com) letter, Larry. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :redface:

Yes, do share an excerpt from A Change of Heart here at the chat!

Hi Joyce: I just read the Helene to Father letter at your blog. You certainly tell a compelling story and put a lot of thought into the newly wed's activities.
My Leroy and Jody venture is called A Change of Heart. I've submitted it to a fairly new publisher Romance at Hearts Publication. They promised to give me some idea in less than a month so I'm anxiously waiting. I guess this novel is still considered WIP even though I've revised it quite a bit. If I can remember how to do it I may give you an excerpt here later.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Oh, and if anyone's interested in seeing a goofy picture of me in the 3rd grade alien1.gif (okay, maybe not quite this goofy! LOL), my publisher posted an interview with me this week, along with a little essay on "Why I Write".

Visit Get to Know You Monday (http://walnutspringspress.blogspot.com/2010/08/get-to-know-you-monday-joyce-dipastena.html) at Walnut Springs Press.

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Here is an excerpt to my new novel featuring Leroy and Jody from the ebook Lab Partners. This is their first meeting at an exchange dinner at Leroy's residence hall.
“Doyle, get out to that table!” A man, carrying the authority of an upperclassman, said. He wore a sports coat carrying the emblem probably a local club of the residence hall, Jody surmised.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
“There’s still ten minutes before dinner starts,” Doyle, as the upperclassman had addressed him, said.<o:p></o:p>
“Now!” Mr. Sports Coat thrust his arm toward the table.<o:p></o:p>
Jody watched the freshman slump his shoulders and march like a condemned man going to the gallows. She thought, he doesn’t want to be here anymore than I do. Her hopes of dining alone disappeared when he took the last empty table.<o:p></o:p>
“Jody, go join him,” her residence hall head lady said from near the door. Miss Standish emphasized by making a shoveling action with her hands.<o:p></o:p>
Jody sighed and began a slow walk toward the table and Doyle. Before she got there, a buxom brunette at a nearby table signaled Miss Standish and blared out.<o:p></o:p>
“Miss Standish, may I change tables? I want to sit with him,” she said, pointing at Doyle’s table.<o:p></o:p>
“You stay put, Marcy.” The brunette shrank into her chair.<o:p></o:p>
As Jody neared the table, Doyle jumped up and pulled out her chair. He didn’t smile but waited patiently for her to sit down. He then seated himself.<o:p></o:p>
“Thank you,” Jody whispered, avoiding eye contact as she repositioned her chair slightly, smoothing her skirt. She did glance at his clothes and noted he was nice casual dress, short-sleeved blue shirt and dress slacks.<o:p></o:p>
“I’m Leroy Doyle.” He offered his hand.<o:p></o:p>
“I don’t think you want to be here anymore than I do, so let’s just get our dinner over with and go our separate ways.” She ignored his hand.
There you have it. Larry

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Good excerpt, Larry! I love the characterizations. I can feel the awkwardness of the situation, and you demonstrate Jody's coldness to Leroy excellently. It makes me want to find out how this couple is ever going to thaw out towards each other. :)

Here is an excerpt to my new novel featuring Leroy and Jody from the ebook Lab Partners. This is their first meeting at an exchange dinner at Leroy's residence hall.
“Doyle, get out to that table!” A man, carrying the authority of an upperclassman, said. He wore a sports coat carrying the emblem probably a local club of the residence hall, Jody surmised.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
“There’s still ten minutes before dinner starts,” Doyle, as the upperclassman had addressed him, said.<o:p></o:p>
“Now!” Mr. Sports Coat thrust his arm toward the table.<o:p></o:p>
Jody watched the freshman slump his shoulders and march like a condemned man going to the gallows. She thought, he doesn’t want to be here anymore than I do. Her hopes of dining alone disappeared when he took the last empty table.<o:p></o:p>
“Jody, go join him,” her residence hall head lady said from near the door. Miss Standish emphasized by making a shoveling action with her hands.<o:p></o:p>
Jody sighed and began a slow walk toward the table and Doyle. Before she got there, a buxom brunette at a nearby table signaled Miss Standish and blared out.<o:p></o:p>
“Miss Standish, may I change tables? I want to sit with him,” she said, pointing at Doyle’s table.<o:p></o:p>
“You stay put, Marcy.” The brunette shrank into her chair.<o:p></o:p>
As Jody neared the table, Doyle jumped up and pulled out her chair. He didn’t smile but waited patiently for her to sit down. He then seated himself.<o:p></o:p>
“Thank you,” Jody whispered, avoiding eye contact as she repositioned her chair slightly, smoothing her skirt. She did glance at his clothes and noted he was nice casual dress, short-sleeved blue shirt and dress slacks.<o:p></o:p>
“I’m Leroy Doyle.” He offered his hand.<o:p></o:p>
“I don’t think you want to be here anymore than I do, so let’s just get our dinner over with and go our separate ways.” She ignored his hand.
There you have it. Larry

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thank you, Joyce. This is from chapter three of the novel. I've tried something new for me and that is use two POV alternating between Leroy and Jody. Chapter one started from Jody's POV and chapter two Leroy and this excerpt of chapter three of course is from Jody's POV. By the way, the last chapter of this story is from Jody's POV.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I always alternate POV's in my stories. I start to feel claustrophobic if I stay in one character's head too long. LOL!

So, did you only use one POV for Lab Partners and Motorcycle Woman? Which POV did you use, the hero's or heroine's?

Thank you, Joyce. This is from chapter three of the novel. I've tried something new for me and that is use two POV alternating between Leroy and Jody. Chapter one started from Jody's POV and chapter two Leroy and this excerpt of chapter three of course is from Jody's POV. By the way, the last chapter of this story is from Jody's POV.

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hi Joyce: In Lab Partners I used only Leroy's POV and in Motorcycle Woman I used Tess' POV. She is the motorcycle woman. I believe that was one of my first excursions into writing from the woman's POV. I've heard that romance readers like the heroine's POV over the hero's POV. Do you think that is true? I know many authors use both POVs.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Alas, I'm probably not the best person to ask, since I don't think I'm necessarily your "typical" romance reader. Personally, I quite enjoy reading the hero's POV. I do prefer a book that includes both POV's, though, the hero and the heroine's. If I'm only going to get one POV, I feel like I might as well be reading a book in 1st person. I don't need to be in every character's head in the book, but at least the main two, and if an author decides to include the villain's POV, I don't mind that, either. I guess that's because I like a lot of "plot" along with my romance. Some reader's don't, though. I got hit by a lot of national agents and editors for having too much plot in my books. But that's the way I like to write them, so that's the way I'm going to write them. :huepfen017:

Hi Joyce: In Lab Partners I used only Leroy's POV and in Motorcycle Woman I used Tess' POV. She is the motorcycle woman. I believe that was one of my first excursions into writing from the woman's POV. I've heard that romance readers like the heroine's POV over the hero's POV. Do you think that is true? I know many authors use both POVs.

Joyce DiPastena
August 12th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I've really enjoyed chatting with you this afternoon, Larry! I'm sorry we didn't get here in time to join in with the others, but maybe next month. I've got to sign off for awhile, though, and go work on some projects.

Wishing you a great evening to you and all our wonderful lurkers! :sofa:

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hi Larry,

Are you the only one here? I brought a bag of Snickers, as promised. Sorry they're a little squishy from the heat. Feel free to pop them in the fridge for awhile. I hope no one is allergic to virtual peanuts! :fridge:
Joyce, your smooth-flowing words and knowledge of the med...med.. er middle ages, impressess me.

O-ver heeeerre! Toss me a Snickers.

MSEReads
August 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hi- I just remembered the chat so am jumping in to say Hi. I'll have to come back to look over the chat and see how everyone has been doing. I hope well! I think of you guys. :)

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 07:32 PM
No fair, Larry! You left us hanging. How did the dinner go, huh? Don't do this to us. Grrrrrrr!

Laurean
August 12th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hi- I just remembered the chat so am jumping in to say Hi. I'll have to come back to look over the chat and see how everyone has been doing. I hope well! I think of you guys. :)
Hi Martha. Thanks for stopping by. How have you been doing? Keeping busy? Me too.

We are finally getting cloudy skies, thunder, and I hope-I hope-I pray....rain. Bring it on. The temps have dropped to a nice 83 degrees. Ahhhh!

This is where I say, "If the storms gets closer, I'll be outta here." They've been brewing for nearly two hours. Must be a slow moving one.

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Laurie: I just finished supper and had to log back on. Joyce and I were chatting alone for awhile. Hey, you wouldn't want me to spoil how the dinner with Leroy and Jody turned out would you?

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Are you still here, Laurie? Since you asked about the exchange dinner with Leroy and Jody attending here is an excerpt just a tad later in the time frame.
They fell silent. Jody scanned the crowd and spotted Gretchen. Gretchen, three tables over, waved, turned thumbs up to her, pointing at Leroy. She included a silent puckering of her lips as if to make a woo whoo sound, fanning her face like she was heating up, and then pointed at Leroy again. Jody gave her best rolling of her eyes expression hoping to convince her she wasn’t impressed or interested in Leroy.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
“It’s going to be a long night if we don’t do a little talking; besides the dinner will go faster. Much to our liking,” Leroy said. Jody made eye contact long enough to see sensitive brown eyes, square jaw, straight lock of hair spilled on to his forehead, big but attractive nose and the first hint of a smile.<o:p></o:p>
Jody glanced away, locking her gaze on an approaching waiter with food. She quenched her sigh of relief, thankful she had an excuse not to answer. The salads were placed in front of them with a bottle of Thousand Island dressing.<o:p></o:p>
“I’m a small town boy, not used to a meal coming in segments. Mom always put everything on the table at once.” Leroy offered the dressing bottle to her. She accepted and shook the bottle before adding to her salad. She wondered if Leroy was going to tell her details of his small town life. She hoped not. Big cities were her preference. She sat the bottle down near Leroy’s plate and he squirted a generous stream on his salad. She noticed he waited for her to take the first bite. Well, he has a good dose of manners anyway.<o:p></o:p>
She finished her salad first, trying not to mimic her grandpa’s hogs at the slop trough. Wouldn’t Leroy be surprised that she had a healthy portion of small towns and farms herself?

There you have another segment of the dinner in the crowded dining hall of Leroy's residence hall.

LarryH
August 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Okay, I'm outta here. I see I'm the only one still online at this point. Thanks to Laurie and Joyce mainly as chatting with me.