PDA

View Full Version : Lesson 5 - Signature and Graphics Files

kayelle_allen
June 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I've asked superwiz Karenne to post the illustrations for this lesson. While we're waiting - could you do a quick poll for me? I will be watching this thru the entire month, so if you're coming in late, go right ahead and answer.

Karenne
June 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM
http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/images/Lesson 5 Graphics file.gif

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/images/Lesson 5 Signature file.gif

kayelle_allen
June 7th, 2007, 08:49 PM
These two files are SnagIt pics taken from MS Word. You could make the same thing in any word processing program. I keep mine open in the background while I'm chatting, then switch over by clicking the window icon in the task bar at the bottom of the screen.

If you are a total noob like I was (many moons ago) and have no idea what I'm talking about here, just hang in. I'll go over specifics in another lesson, and then all this will make perfect sense.

The graphics file is awesome - I have 3 pages of goodies I can copy and paste into myspace comments.

I can hear the grumbling now... "but there's no way to paste anything in there!" Oh, but there is! Here is a short list of the most useful and timesaving hotkeys you will ever find on the computer. Print this list, cut it out, and paste it on your monitor's edge so you can see it. Pretty soon it will be second nature.

These hot keys make it possible for you to rapidly copy, paste etc during a chat. For a PC, use control (ctrl) for a Mac, use Command (cmd). For ease of writing, I'm using ctrl here, but if you're a Mac person, substitute cmd.

ctrl-Z Undo
ctrl-X Cut
ctrl-C Copy
ctrl-V Paste
ctrl-S Save
ctrl-N New
ctrl-I Italics
ctrl-B Bold
ctrl-U Underline
ctrl-O Open
ctrl-W Close

Highlight the text you want to use, ctrl-C to copy, then go to the comments section or signature area for your message, and do ctrl-V. Ta da! Once you practice this, you'll be copying/pasting like a champ.

I'm the Word queen, btw. If you want it to do something (or stop doing it) post your question here. I'll give it a shot.

Jude Mason
June 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Kayelle,

A question. How did you come up with your brand, 'Unstopable heros, Ucompromising love, Unforgetable passion'?

Whenver I try to come up with something like that for myself, it either sounds dumb, very dominant, or a mile long, and I just give up. Thoughts, suggetions?

Jude

Sascha_Illyvich
June 11th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Jude,

why not go with the very dominant "slogan?"

kayelle_allen
June 11th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Kayelle,

A question. How did you come up with your brand, 'Unstopable heros, Ucompromising love, Unforgetable passion'?

Whenver I try to come up with something like that for myself, it either sounds dumb, very dominant, or a mile long, and I just give up. Thoughts, suggetions?

Jude

I did answer you, Jude, but apparently the forum lizards ate it. :errrr:

I'll give it another shot, though. How did I come up with this? I played with ideas and kept trying different things until it looked right. I worked on three things that could tie together. Here's what I came up with:

Erotic - Unique - Unforgettable
Power - Passion - Possession
Enigmatic - Compelling - Undeniable

Nothing in stone there, but I liked the words. Liz Maverick's site was good inspiration. She uses: Kick-butt heroines, sexy heroes, sticky situations…

I wrote down a page of them and whittled it down to these as possibilities:

Unstoppable heros, Uncompromising love, Unforgettable passion
Timeless romance, eternal passion, forever love
Not the usual heros, not the usual setting, not the usual romance

Across the galaxy, right next door, deep in your heart
When it absolutely, positively has to be different.
Think you know what'll happen? No way! It's by Kayelle.

In the end, I chose the first and the last. So, simply put - a matter of brainstorming and then ditching what didn't sound right.

Karenne
June 11th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I had the forum lizards exterminated today. (crosses fingers) won't happen again!:sailor:

kayelle_allen
June 12th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I had the forum lizards exterminated today. (crosses fingers) won't happen again!:sailor:

:gun_bandana: :swoon: I hope you offered them blindfolds...

^_^

Jude Mason
June 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Kayelle, beautiful. You've given me a starting place at least, thank you. Copied and pasted into my new folder for Marketing. *G*

Sas, I don't go with something dominant because that's not all that I write. I think that's my big problem. It's all sensual, it's not all whips and chains, there's got to be a happy medium, yet erotic. I'll work on it.

Hugs

kayelle_allen
June 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Kayelle, beautiful. You've given me a starting place at least, thank you. Copied and pasted into my new folder for Marketing. *G*

Sas, I don't go with something dominant because that's not all that I write. I think that's my big problem. It's all sensual, it's not all whips and chains, there's got to be a happy medium, yet erotic. I'll work on it.

Hugs

Branding yourself [not with that hot poker thing...] is one of the hardest things to do, but it's so personal, so YOU, that no one else can do you justice. Good luck Jude.

Gorgeous website, btw. Love the colors.

Jude Mason
June 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Branding yourself [not with that hot poker thing...] is one of the hardest things to do, but it's so personal, so YOU, that no one else can do you justice. Good luck Jude.

Gorgeous website, btw. Love the colors.

I've been struggling to get moving on a book so haven't been here much. The branding thing, for me it's got to fit or I won't use it. I see a few of them out there and many seem almost generic. I don't want that. Thanks for the good wishes. When I get time to sit down and write down words that 'strike me' it should be interesting.

*Blush* Thank you Kayelle. Haven, and I never should have titled the page that, but hindsight is 20/20 and it's too late to change, it's been my baby for quite a few years. I love how it looks now and I'm sure it'll be the same colors and layout for the forseeable future. Course I keep adding bits. *G*

Hugs
Jude

Sascha_Illyvich
June 19th, 2007, 09:48 PM
You'll get it. Not having read most authors work I would have trouble offering ou suggestions. Hell, Morgan practically GAVE me mine and I"ve altered my "slogan" to fit me better but it took time.

kuroisama
June 21st, 2007, 03:00 PM
I've been struggling to get moving on a book so haven't been here much. The branding thing, for me it's got to fit or I won't use it.
Hugs
Jude

My brand came to me thanks to one of my beta readers. I kept explaining my version of things to her and telling her to stop assuming (for example) my vampires get fried with sunlight or holy water and can't eat normal food etc. Thus "Leave Your Reality Behind" came about. I should have went with a more Dante's Inferno approach and said "Abandon All Reality, Ye Who Enter Here" but that's too long.

I guess my brand works better when people realize it's a warning of wackiness ahead instead of a suggestion to read a good book.

and, with that said, it's time to change the front page of my website. :D