PDA

View Full Version : Starting an Author's blog

adesray
August 26th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I am currently sending out manuscripts and playing the waiting game. I am hopeful that one day I will be a published author.

I have noticed that every author seems to have their own website, as well as a blog. My question is for you published authors.

Do you recommend starting your own website, BEFORE you're published, or should a person wait? And if you recommend starting a website while trying to publish, what are some good sites to go through?

Thank you for your advice.

rlbayne
January 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM
That's a good question--I've seen both "wait" and "blog now" comments from various authors and editors. One thing you might want to do is secure your domain name awhile so no one else takes it.

Misa Buckley
January 21st, 2011, 05:56 PM
I don't think you need a website, since both Blogger and Wordpress offer so many options and the ability to have pages.

If you are going to go the website route, I'd strongly suggest you have your blog as part of it - activity such as blogs and Tweeter posts will increase traffic and site views (and hopefully sales!).

The importance in any web presence is activity. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with more than a blog and Tweeter, plus a fan page on Facebook made out in your book's title. You can crosspost between the three and build a good fanbase without sinking too much of your time.

Pages of Romance
January 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM
On blogger through google you can make it a website and purchace the domain name through blogger/google. I did it. Who needs a website anymore.
Cary