PDA

View Full Version : Writing is an Art--Publishing is a Business

Dana Marton
September 6th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Bio: Author Dana Marton used skills learned at her corporate job to get published and stay published. In the past five years she's sold 25 books (without an agent) that are published in over a dozen countries in many languages—one has been even published in Japan <ST1:pas a graphic novel. She's a Rita finalist and the winner of the Daphne du Maurier Award of Excellence. And it all started with a little project management. You can find out more about Dana and her books on her web site: www.danamarton.com (http://www.danamarton.com)

Note: Lessons will be posted on Sep. 6, 13, 20 and 27, including homework. In between, I’d like to discuss homework assignments and address any questions. I’m currently in <ST1:pEurope in a different time zone, so I might not answer all posts right away, but I’ll strive to answer all of them within a reasonable amount of time.

This is a long lesson. Don’t feel that you have to do it in one sitting. You have all week. <O:p

If you can, please friend me on Facebook and or follow me on Twitter. I promise to friend/follow you back. No matter where you are in your writing journey, a little networking is always a good thing.<O:p

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DanaMarton<O:p

Twitter: http://twitter.com/danamarton

Lesson 1: Writing is an Art—Publishing is a Business<O:p

WELCOME!!! As my bio says, I’ve had a corporate career before I had a writing career. For a long time, I thought of the business side of my brain and the creative side of my brain as completely separate. (Coincidentally, these were the unpublished years.) In my free hours, I wrote with abandon, blissfully unaware such things as trends or publisher requirements.

Since I read all romance fiction, I wrote all romance fiction. Started with a historical romance, then moved on to inspirational romance, series romance, sci-fi romance, Western romance, time travel romance, romantic suspense and other fun stuff. This lighthearted frolicking across the romance landscape lasted a brief thirteen years and resulted in zero published works.<O:p

Then it dawned on me that I might be doing something wrong. After only thirteen years! Quick as lighting, that’s me! <O:p

I began to ponder how I could be so spectacularly unsuccessful in my writing when I was fairly successful in my corporate job. For a while, I tried to write harder. Nobody noticed. Don’t you hate when that happens?<O:p

Then the solution came to me…<O:p

(prepare to be dazzled)<O:p

Okay, here is my great revelation: Not only did I have to work harder at writing, but I had to work smarter!<O:p

This first brilliant idea was immediately followed by a second. (I was on a roll, obviously.) --Maybe I could use my business skills to improve my writing career! <O:p

Figured it was worth a try. Whatever happened, I couldn’t bungle things up much worse than they already were. So I looked at all the things I was doing in my corporate career that I wasn’t doing in my writing.<O:p

--train with professionals
--study the market<O:p
--subscribe to industry magazines
<O:p--attend industry conferences<O:p
--know your customer<O:p
--invest in continuing education<O:p
--network, etc. etc.<O:p
<O:p
As a first step, I joined RWA (Romance Writers of America). This turned out to be a triple bonus, as with the professional organization I also got their newsletter (one of the best industry magazines for romance writers) and their conference, which comes with a plethora of workshops and networking opportunities! One of the first things I discovered was a local chapter of RWA, where I found out about things like proper manuscript formatting and publishers guidelines. I also received recommendations for a number of great how-to books every writer should read. A few are listed here. (http://danamarton.com/index.php/writershowto#T1-sub9)

<O:pI learned as much as possible, entered writing contests and paid attention to comments, but something was still missing. You know what Dr. Phil says? “If you keep doing what you’ve been doing, you’ll keep getting what you’ve been getting.”<O:p

Add to that some good advice from Anthony Robbins: “Take massive action.”

<O:pSo I decided to take things to the next level. I enrolled in a M.A. program in Writing Popular Fiction at Seton Hill University (http://www.setonhill.edu/academics/fiction/). It was a wonderful opportunity. I only had to go to school 5 days twice a year. Did it take money/energy/time away from family? Yes. But few things in life are free. My corporate job took energy/time etc. too. I just had to learn to make my writing a priority, as important or more important than other aspects of my life.<O:p

While going back to school to hone my craft, I also tried to find other ways to work smarter. I understood by that point that while writing is an art, publishing is a business. And if you’re going to model your writing career on a business, make it a Fortune 500 company, not a roadside lemonade stand. Luckily I was working for just such an international corporation. I couldn’t happen but notice that they had whole departments doing wild things like product design and analysis, market analysis etc. Could that work for me

I was writing a romantic suspense novel at the time, and was beginning to suspect that my chances for a sale might improve if I began researching publishers while the book was still in progress. If I could tailor the book to a specific publisher’s likes and dislikes, they would be more likely to like my book. And wasn’t I in luck?! Most publishers state their likes and dislikes right on their website, under a handy little tab called PUBLISHER GUIDELINES.<O:p

Okay, so publisher guidelines can be vague at times. But there’s another way to get a pretty good idea for what a specific publisher wants: read the books they publish. So after some consideration, I selected Harlequin Intrigue as my dream publisher. I love their books, so it was an easy choice.

After reading their guidelines and learning how long the book should be, what topics they liked, etc., I went to one of my handy dandy industry magazines, RT Bookreviews. RT lists most every romance that is published in a given month. On their web site, you can do a search. I searched for every Intrigue that had been published in the past 12 months that received a 4 star rating or higher. I wanted to know what types of stories were published recently, and I wanted to see what the best of those were like. Then I read and analyzed those books for topic, level of sensuality, level of violence, secondary plots, etc. By the time I was done, I had an excellent idea of what Intrigue editors/readers wanted.<O:p

I know, this sounds like an awful lot of busywork when all a writer wants to do is write. But the most important thing is, did it work?

Well, one of the things my university program required from each student was to write a full-size novel of publishable quality. (With the guidance of critique partners and mentor who’s a multi-published author.) Not only did I write that romantic suspense, SHADOW SOLDIER, but I sold it to Harlequin Intrigue. I also sold two more books to the same publisher before graduating, thereby paying off my entire tuition from writing. (The editor remarked on the phone that she was really excited about the book, because from page one it sounded like it’d been written just for Intrigue. Well, it was.)

<O:pYou don’t have to go back to college if that’s not the right path for you, but I would advise that you ask yourself, what could I do that I haven’t yet done? What’s your massive action? (e.g. set aside 2 hrs per day for writing, sign up for a class, go to a conference, etc.)<O:p</O:p
Let’s make a pact that from now on we’ll all consider our writing as a very serious business. As your first homework, please try to complete as many of the following business tasks as possible:<O:p

Write a short author bio and post it to the class. (see mine above for an example) If you’re a pre-published author, make sure to tell us what type of books you’re working on and what’s unique about your writing, how long have you been writing, etc.

Establish an online presence. (Facebook, Twitter, Web page) Try to do at least one if you haven’t yet. Ideal would be all three. Post your links so we can all “friend” or “follow” you.<O:p

Write up what would you like to have on your business card, then have some made. There are places online that’ll even make them for free. Just type “free business cards” into Google and you’ll see a long list. Make sure to choose a reputable vendor.<O:p
This is what my business card says:

Dana Marton
Award-winning Author
www.danamarton.com (http://www.danamarton.com/)
danamarton@yahoo.com (danamarton@yahoo.com)

It’s up to you how much personal information you want to reveal on your card (or web page or other online pages). I get just enough prison mail that I don’t post my home address and phone number.

<O:p</O:pResearch and post to class some professional organizations/publications for your genre.

Did you find anything in today’s lesson that you might be able to use to move your own writing career forward? What is it? What action are you going to take?<O:p
I would also love to hear any personal experiences from you regarding your writing career. What worked for you so far? What didn’t work? Would you care to share any learnings with the class? It would be much appreciated!<O:p
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I’m really looking forward to chatting with you all and discovering a couple of great project management tools in the following weeks.
That’s all for today! Wishing you a fun and productive day. <O:p
Dana
<O:p</O:p
P.S.: I don’t like busywork, but I sure do love results. When I realized how well project management/business analysis worked for my writing, I went overboard and tried to chart and analyze every aspect of writing. Some things I came up with weren’t terribly useful, while others I use to this day. I even analyzed and charted how to write the perfect novel and tried to come up with a novel template. If you’re curious, you can check it out here: http://danamarton.com/tmp/Novel_Template_3.html<O:p</O:p

rebelheart
September 6th, 2010, 11:57 PM
This is good, Dana, when you say to write a short author bio. The second I read that, I was aghast!! Who, me?? and AUTHOR bio???

Then I realized that's a problem with me. I may write, but don't think of myself as an 'author,' per say, though I do have an on-line presence. Just nothing published. So I like the 'pre-published author' concept. It's myself as an author, not just writer, I need to come to terms with.

Julie

Dana Marton
September 7th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Julie,

Absolutely!!! You are a pre-pubbed author. I have several friends who are still waiting for the call and they have web sites and wonderful bios. Think of your bio as your resume. You need to start building it before you apply for a job. Agents and editors will want to see that you're serious. It might even sound something like this:

I've been writing romantic suspense for five years, spending this time to thoroughly research the genre and hone my craft. I'm a member of Romance Writers of America, a wonderful organization where I have built a supportive network. I'm also the member of a great critique group where we are committed to continuously improving our writing skills and enthusiastically promoting each other's work. I've completed two manuscripts so far and I'm working on the third. My writing has won second place in the Romancing the Written Page contest, earning the praise of the judges.

When you write a bio to include in your query letter, focus on things that prove to the agent/editor that you're serious about a career in writing and you have taken steps/done the work to be a successful author. When you write a bio to post on your web site, you might want to include personal items, such as where you live and your hobbies, anything that will help readers connect to you.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!!
Good luck!
Dana

Tristy
September 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I’ve never even thought of writing a bio, I have finished the first draft of my first novel, so I guess a bio is something to think about now. So here goes.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o>:p</o>:p
I’ve always enjoyed writing and have been writing on and off since high school. I’ve final found my niche in urban fantasy. I read extensively in the fantasy and urban fantasy genre and enjoy the escapism that it offers. I have just finished the first in a series of urban fantasy books targeted at a young adult audience. I have an arts degree with an extended major in Literature.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o>:p</o>:p
I think I need to work on this, but I guess it is a start. I haven’t entered any competitions or submitted any work ever. One of my short stories from high school was selected to go into a book to show the following student how to write a good creative story, another of my short stories was selected as one of the three best out of a class at University. But I don’t know what else I can add. I read a lot about getting published and have ordered some of the books that you suggested. I have been trying to write a novel for as long as I can remember, each novel I started was never finished, I would make it to 30 thousand words or so and loose interest, they were mostly fantasy young adult, in high school I wrote a time travel historical novel that turned to romance. I hope I haven’t loaded you up with info.

Tristy

<!--EndFragment-->

Dana Marton
September 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Tristy, that is a great bio! It shows your enthusiasm, your qualifications (lit degree) and that you have a book finished! Congratulations!!! To add to your "resume," I'd definitely recommend trying a few reputable writing contests.

About those unfinished novels.... Did you know that Harlequin Teen will consider novels between 50,000 and 100,000 words? And Harlequin Historical Undone publishes works between 10,000-15,000 words. So you might be able to complete one of your partially finished manuscripts and try it with them. These are just two I happen to know about since I write for Harlequin, but I'm sure other publishers have lines that don't require a 400 pg manuscript.

jocelynmodo
September 12th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I've rewritten this a million times. Here's the best I could come up with:

Jocelyn Modo grew up infatuated with science fiction and fantasy, reading everything she could get her hands on. When she discovered romance, it seemed natural to combine the genres. She is twice published and is currently working on the second shifter-lion novel in her Pride & Passion series. For a little bit of grrl and a whole lot of roaw visit Jocelyn at www.jocelynmodo.com (http://www.jocelynmodo.com).

Dana Marton
September 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Jocelyn, this is perfect! Your enthusiasm for the genre comes through. Congratulations on your published works! I'm heading over to check out your web site.

loricrawford
September 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm really enjoying this class. I've already read week 2, but wanted to come back to post the homework for week 1.

Writing bios is the bane of my existence. However, I do have one posted on my website, www.preacherskidproductions.com (http://www.preacherskidproductions.com):

"Lori Beth Crawford has two great passions. Television and writing. As a child, she was a walking TV guide. When not watching TV, she was devouring every book she could get her hands on. Nearly a decade later, her love for reading developed into a passion for writing. She graduated from short stories and imaginary friends to write her first novel when she turned sixteen. It went on to languish in the bottom of a drawer where it rightfully belongs.

Lori went to Washington University in St. Louis with the sole intention of becoming a lawyer. She adored her participation in undergraduate mock trials. Even though she garnered outstanding witness and outstanding attorney awards something was missing. She just could not shake her passion for writing and television.

The summer after her sophomore year, Lori won an internship at CBS News in New York. Even though she was never a fan of news programs, she eagerly took the position. Upon arrival, she was ecstatic to learn that As The World Turns, her favorite daytime drama, was filmed in the same building. Their writers' assistant took her to lunch before the summer was over and she was hooked. She finally discovered how she was going to combine her two passions. Lori was going to write for television.

She returned to college and jumped wholeheartedly into entertainment. She produced Black Anthology during her junior year and turned the first profit in the show's history. When she produced it the next year, they were able to work with an increased budget due to the previous year's success.

After graduating with a B.A. in Psychology and Writing, Lori moved to Los Angeles to pursue her career. She set out to gain experience in the entertainment industry by obtaining access to sets via background work. From there she moved on to work in offices at such auspicious companies as Warner Bros., HBO, Court TV, Disney Television Animation and Touchstone Television.

She's been a Preacher's Kid her whole life."

I know this is really long and it also predates my published novel, which I'm thinking I should probably include if I use the bio outside of the website.

You also mentioned including hobbies to help readers connect, Dana. Since I am a synchronized swimmer and my novel is about a synchronized swimmer, I should probably include synchro somewhere in the bio.

And a question: my website was designed for a career in television. Now that I've branched out into novels, is it okay to keep everything consolidated or do I need an author site?

Dana Marton
September 14th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Welcome Loribeth! That is one amazing bio. Congratulations on all your success!!

As your writing career grows, I would recommend to have a separate tab/page, at least, on your web site for just your writing. You could call it "MY BOOKS." Something that would immediately point your readers to the right spot for more info on upcoming releases, etc.

Also, as your writing career grows, you might want to have a separate writing bio that focuses on the books and mentions your TV career as an interest only, along with synchronized swimming. What a fantastic hobby! I've never read a book on this topic, so you should definitely emphasize this. It does grab attention.

Good luck! And if you have any further questions, please ask away!
Dana

loricrawford
September 15th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Welcome Loribeth! That is one amazing bio. Congratulations on all your success!!

As your writing career grows, I would recommend to have a separate tab/page, at least, on your web site for just your writing. You could call it "MY BOOKS." Something that would immediately point your readers to the right spot for more info on upcoming releases, etc.

Also, as your writing career grows, you might want to have a separate writing bio that focuses on the books and mentions your TV career as an interest only, along with synchronized swimming. What a fantastic hobby! I've never read a book on this topic, so you should definitely emphasize this. It does grab attention.

Good luck! And if you have any further questions, please ask away!
Dana

Thanks, Dana. Thing is, I don't feel all that successful. I'm glad you mentioned having separate pages on the site. It's already divided up that way so I'm grateful for the confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Dana Marton
September 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM
You're welcome!! :-)