PDA

View Full Version : A Goal is a Dream with a Deadline

Dana Marton
September 13th, 2010, 04:49 AM
GOAL SETTING
<O:p
“Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal: my strength lies solely in my tenacity.” Louis Pasteur
You might not have a 1 year plan, a 3 year plan or a 5 year plan for your writing career (although, ideally, you should have all three), but I’m sure you have dreams. And dreams can be easily converted into goals, then step by step action items that you can follow to make sure that you reach those dreams. After all, dreaming is lovely, but living your dream life is even better!

So what’s the difference between dreams and goals? “A goal is a dream with a deadline.” Napoleon Hill had said, and he gets partial credit.

Good goals are SMART goals.

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Timelined

Specific: Instead of saying, “I want to write more,” say, “I will write ten pages per day, Monday through Friday, and will have a 300 page manuscript by Jan, 15, 2011.”

Measurable: Instead of saying, “I’ll improve my writing skills,” say, “I will take 2 online writing courses this year, will read The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman and Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Mass, will attend one writers conference and take as many workshops as possible, will find a critique partner and will enter my writing in three judged contests to measure my progress via feedback and placing in those contests.”

Attainable: Plan for things that are achievable by you. Instead of saying, “I will get a publishing contract,” say, “I will submit my polished proposal to twenty agents I’ve thoroughly researched.”

Relevant: You should care deeply and passionately about your goals. Your goals should be about what you want for yourself, not what others want from you or for you. If your goals are not important to you, it’s unlikely that you’ll put in the effort necessary to achieve them.

Timelined: (All right, Mr. Hill, here we go at last.) Goals that don’t have a deadline tend to be put off indefinitely, so make sure to set firm but achievable deadlines.

How big should your goals be? As big as you can handle, but don’t set goals that will so overwhelm you that you won’t even be able to start. As you’ll see below, my personal goal right now is to do everything in my power to make the Borders Bestseller List with my next book, THE SPY WHO SAVED CHRISTMAS. After two dozen published books, I feel that this is doable. Would I like to hit the New York Times Bestseller List? You bet. But I’m saving that goal for a little later.

On the other hand, make sure that you don’t set goals so small that they will fail to inspire you! When scientists examined the behavioral effects of goal-setting, they concluded that 90&#37; of laboratory and field studies involving specific and challenging goals led to higher performance than did easy or no goals.

Here is a quick tip to make sure you achieve your goals:
You’re more likely to achieve your goals if you publicly commit to your goal/share it with a support group. So please post your goal to this thread and share with others here!
Personally, I find goals motivating. Each time I achieve one, it’s proof positive that “yes, I can handle this.” So set achievable goals to make sure to give yourself positive experiences. Then when you meet with a difficult challenge, you can look back at all the obstacles you’ve already conquered and know that you have what it takes to rise to the challenge. If you have self-confidence, you will take advantage of opportunities you might have let pass before. You will find that you will exceed even your own expectations.
Writing a bestseller sounds daunting right now? Write the first 10 pages of a book and enter it into a writing contest. You will get feedback from the judges, the attention of agents and/or editors if you’re one of the finalists, and who knows, down the line it might lead to a contract for that book that could be your first bestseller!<O:p

Goals give you short-term motivation and long-term vision.
“Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination.” Fitzhugh Dodson

Exercise 1<O:p
List your writing goals. Make sure they are very specific and measurable. You should be able to answer the following question for each goal: “How do I know when that goal is met?”

</O:p
Exercise 2
<O:p</O:pNumber your goals according to priority.

Exercise 3<O:p</O:p
Break down your top priority goal into manageable tasks that are necessary to take you to your destination.

Exercise 4<O:p</O:p
Put your tasks on a timeline. (See my sample goal chart at the end of this lesson.)<O:p

Next: Now that you have a timed plan for reaching your priority goal, repeat these exercises for all your goals.

The assignments in this lesson will take some time if done right, so I'm going to stop here. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions. And don’t forget to share your goals with the class!
<O:p</O:p
Have a fabulous week,
Dana
http://www.facebook.com/DanaMarton<O:p</O:p
http://twitter.com/danamarton<O:p</O:p
http://www.danamarton.com<O:p</O:p

“Many people fail in life, not for lack of ability or brains or even courage but simply because they have never organized their energies around a goal.” Elbert Hubbard

EXAMPLE<O:p</O:p
My priority goal right now is to promote THE SPY WHO SAVED CHRISTMAS with the hopes that it will make it onto the Borders bestseller list.

Here are my steps toward that goal:
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 480; mso-border-insideh: .5pt solid windowtext; mso-border-insidev: .5pt solid windowtext" class=MsoTableGrid border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>TASK<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>WHO NEEDS TO DO IT<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>BY WHEN<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>NOTE<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Take Beth Barany’s online Social Networking Class

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Dana Marton

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Sep.

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Done

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Take Marcia James’s online PR class

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Dana Marton

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Sep.

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Done

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 3"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Build following on Twitter

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>daily

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Post reviews, quotes

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 4"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Build following on Facebook

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>daily

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Post cover, reviews, excerpts and quotes

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 5"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148><O:p
MySpace

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>weekly

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Post cover, reviews, excerpts and quotes, Q&A, fun facts, etc

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 6"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Notify existing readership of my new release via newsletter

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Dana Marton/assistant

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Oct. 1st

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Mention cover, reviews, excerpt, link to book stores, link to my Facebook and Twitter, reader contest

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 7"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Reach new readership via a blog tour

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Sep. – Oct.

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Post, cover, reviews, excerpt, link to book stores, link to my Facebook and Twitter, reader contest

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 8"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>ARCs (advanced readers copies)

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Assistant

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Send to reviewers then make sure to send thank you notes once the reviews come out

</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0.4in; mso-yfti-irow: 9; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Update web site with new release information

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Web Master

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 110.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 0.4in; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=148>Sep. 1

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

loricrawford
September 13th, 2010, 07:43 PM
This task is great! It's really helping me take the focus off the trivial.

Exercise 1
List your writing goals. Make sure they are very specific and measurable. You should be able to answer the following question for each goal: “How do I know when that goal is met?”

Three more published novels
Promote writing career
Submit 5 novels a year
Become a Disney Fellow
Become a Television Staff Writer
Sell feature films
Sell television pilots
Become a showrunner
Complete all open projects

Exercise 2
Number your goals according to priority.

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse"><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">1. Three more published novels</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">2. Promote writing career</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">3. Become a Disney Fellow</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">4. Become a television staff writer</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">5. Sell television pilots</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">6. Sell feature films</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">7. Become a showrunner</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">8. Complete all open projects</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 0px"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: rgb(170,170,170) 1px dotted">9. Submit 5 novels a year</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Exercise 3
Break down your top priority goal into manageable tasks that are necessary to take you to your destination.
1. Three more published novels

Submit Royal Opposites to Lyrical Press
Finish query - within next week

Submit Jaylyn and Zeke to Amira
Find a title - by end of Sept
Finish honeymoon scene - by end of Sept
Get critiques and polish it - by end of Oct.
Write query - by end of Sept

Submit Thwarting Cupid to Amira, Lyrical and Samhain
Finish first draft - by end of Nov.
Get critiques - by mid Dec.
Revise and polish - by end of Dec.
Write query - by end of Dec.

Exercise 4
Put your tasks on a timeline. (See my sample goal chart at the end of this lesson.)
Combined with exercise 3 for the time being.

Dana Marton
September 14th, 2010, 04:48 AM
This is excellent, Loribeth! Sounds like you know what you want and have clarified the steps necessary to reach your goals. Ambitious plans, but we need big goals to inspire us. I certainly think this is doable. Good luck!!!

Dana Marton
September 14th, 2010, 04:49 AM
Let me apologize if anyone is annoyed by all the smiley faces. I didn't put those in. Have no idea what happened there with the formatting. On the other hand, if you like them, then I'm happy.

Savannah Chase
September 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Wow you look like you're on a roll...this is so good.

loricrawford
September 15th, 2010, 01:19 AM
This is excellent, Loribeth! Sounds like you know what you want and have clarified the steps necessary to reach your goals. Ambitious plans, but we need big goals to inspire us. I certainly think this is doable. Good luck!!!

Thanks! I'm so much better at starting than I am at following through.

Tristy
September 15th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Ok goal setting.
So I've finished the first draft of my first novel, my goal is to get it into good shape, hopefully publishable. To do that I am doing several thing including these free seminars and trying to do the homework, even if I don't post it all. I have also purchased some of the books that you mentioned Dana (on your website). I've read a lot of information from other published authors and a few really helped me to finish my first draft. Once I've done some more reading and given my first draft a chance to rest (I'm leaving it for a month), I am going to start revising. Then I am going to look for a critique partner. My goal is to have my novel polished up in three months.

I have some short term goals as well that include writing some short stories and submitting them into a competition I've found some on Writer's Digest. If any one else has any suggestions I'd love to know.

My big goal is to have a novel published and I've given my self five years (from the start of this year) to do this.

My novel is a young adult urban fantasy.

Tristy.:)

Dana Marton
September 15th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Tristy, YA urban fantasy is hot right now. I would recommend you don't put off submitting too long. You know, you can do the edits/revisions with a critique partner, working through chapter by chapter together. And as far as contests go, how about submitting the beginning of your novel to a couple of RWA contests? It's never too early to get your book in front of editors and agents.

Good luck with your 5 year plan! Sounds like you have the steps mapped out and you're on your way.

Dana

vrleavitt
September 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Great lesson. I know personally, I have scads of dreams, but have not as yet focused them into goals...ah, the missing link. :-)

Ok, here goes:

1. Finish final draft of, "Shaping Fate."
Finish rough draft of "As of yet Untitled Faerie Story."

2. 1. Shaping Fate
2. Untitled Faerie Story

3. Shaping Fate - Put my butt in the chair and just do it. Use feedback from the contest I entered last year as well as feedback from writing group and just edit the darn thing. It won't bite. LOL Take two or three chapters a day until it's done.

Faerie Story - Turn off inner editor and just write it. Try for a chapter a week. It's pretty much written in my head, so a chapter a week shouldn't be terribly difficult for a rough draft.

4. <table class="MsoTableGrid" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="height: 0.4in;"><td style="border: 1pt solid windowtext; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background-color: transparent; width: 110.7pt; height: 0.4in;" width="148" valign="top">TASK

</td><td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(240, 240, 240); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background-color: transparent; width: 110.7pt; height: 0.4in;" width="148" valign="top">WHO NEEDS TO DO IT

</td><td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(240, 240, 240); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background-color: transparent; width: 110.7pt; height: 0.4in;" width="148" valign="top">BY WHEN

</td><td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: windowtext windowtext windowtext rgb(240, 240, 240); border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background-color: transparent; width: 110.7pt; height: 0.4in;" width="148" valign="top">NOTE

</td></tr><tr style="height: 0.4in;"><td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: rgb(240, 240, 240) windowtext windowtext; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background-color: transparent; width: 110.7pt; height: 0.4in;" width="148" valign="top">Finish final draft of SF

Rough draft of Faerie Story

</td><td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(240, 240, 240) windowtext windowtext rgb(240, 240, 240); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background-color: transparent; width: 110.7pt; height: 0.4in;" width="148" valign="top">Vanessa

Vanessa
</td><td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(240, 240, 240) windowtext windowtext rgb(240, 240, 240); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background-color: transparent; width: 110.7pt; height: 0.4in;" width="148" valign="top">December

February
</td><td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: rgb(240, 240, 240) windowtext windowtext rgb(240, 240, 240); border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; background-color: transparent; width: 110.7pt; height: 0.4in;" width="148" valign="top">Open

Open
</td></tr></tbody></table><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Dana Marton
September 16th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Wow, lots of progress is being made here! Thank you for posting your goal list vrleavitt! Looks perfect. Doable so you won't be overwhelmed, but serious enough to be inspiring. Good luck!!
Dana

Tristy
September 18th, 2010, 07:42 AM
So I've read "Plot" and half way through reading "Self-editing for fiction writers". I have to say these books have given me a lot of insight and a lot or encouragement, so my original goal of leaving my first draft for a whole month has gone out the window, I left it for a good two and a half weeks, so not bad I think. I'm on the self-editing roll now. I'd be doing it wight now, but I was having trouble concentrating after looking at it for two hours straight. Just wanted to say THANKS for the encouragement Dana!
Cheers
Tristy.:yes:

Dana Marton
September 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Tristy, I'm so glad that you're moving forward. Sounds like you are committed to your project and doing all the right things. No excuses etc. This is exactly the right attitude that will see this book published. I'd love to hear how you're progressing, so please do keep in touch!
Dana