PDA

View Full Version : The recipes are back!

tamquij
September 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
As many of my friends know, I was raised in Germany, in a time where there was still an east and west. Having spent nearly 20 years in the various locales of Darmstadt, Schweinfurt, Kitzengen, Würzburg, and the likes, I am particularly fond of the country. My heart always goes back to the wonderful places I lived, the people I knew, and the world in which I had become accustomed. At this time of year, I can still envision the changing of the leaves, the beginning of the cooler holiday seasons, and the delicious food that I would find at many a gasthaus serving all my favorite meals.

One of those favorites (above those pastries that held me so entranced) was the ever delicious Schnitzel. Schnitzel, basically, is a thin bit of veal, breaded and fried to golden perfection. The schnitzel literally hangs over the sides of a plate, accompanied with steaming hot pommes frites and a lovely little salad of butter lettuce and tomato.
I can hear many of you now screaming about the veal. I’ll admit that I do love veal, despite the outrage it causes. Veal, though, is nearly unaffordable on the average family budget stateside. Instead, I tend to substitute a lean pork (with or without bone) http://tamelaquijas.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/schnitzel.jpg?w=150&h=110 (http://tamelaquijas.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/schnitzel.jpg)when I make this dish. It’s not quite as good, but it does the job.
Ingredients:
2 pounds lean pork chops, pounded thin (if you can afford the veal, by all means, get it!)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
2 tablespoons of milk
1/2 cup of oil for frying
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
Lemon wedges
Directions:
Dredge the pork in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
In a shallow dish, beat eggs with 2 tablespoons of milk.
Shake excess flour off of pork chops, dip in egg mixture, and then dip in breadcrumbs.
Place on tray in single layer (none overlapping) and Refrigerate for 2 hours.
After two hours, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Fry pork chops until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels, and serve with lemon wedges. Oh, and some fries and an ice-cold Lowenbrau wouldn’t hurt, either.

Savannah Chase
September 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
ohh yummy...I must save this