PDA

View Full Version : Lesson 7 - What to Post

kayelle_allen
June 10th, 2007, 07:43 PM
We all know that certain groups prefer different heat levels for posts. Some groups want nothing above PG13 - others are wide open. For those who write M/M or gay romance, there are sites that won't let you post a single word. That goes the opposite direction as well. Some promo sites for gay fiction/romance won't accept material for a straight romance.

The key is to read the rules and ask the mods if you're unsure. Do this ahead of time to avoid getting there and finding out little or none of the material you've prepared can be posted. TIP: If you request info several days ahead from the moderator or owner and don't get a reply, run in the other direction. Yes, people get busy and sometimes don't respond right away, but for an author day or chat there should be someone in charge.

How do you find out who runs the group? Look at the bottom of the Yahoo Group page. There you'll see:

Group Email Addresses
Related Link: http://www.coffeetimeromance.com
Post message: karenfindoutaboutnewbooks@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: karenfindoutaboutnewbooks-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: karenfindoutaboutnewbooks-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: karenfindoutaboutnewbooks-owner@yahoogroups.com

The list owner is usually your best bet, unless you personally know there is a separate moderator. The ones above are from Coffee Time Romance's group Karen Find Out About New Books. I always liked that title...

Bottom line, exactly what kinds of things should you post? Here's a short list.

Blurbs/tags for new books
Links to your website
Links to your MySpace
Contest info
Recipes
Chit chat! What you've done recently.
Blog info

AVOID
The wrong genre or heat rating for the group (a PG13 site shouldn't get X-rated excerpts)
Unless you are a political or religious writer, politics and religion are no-no's.
Highly personal information (intimate info)
Take care not to reveal personal addresses, phone numbers (share these offline only if you trust someone)

HOT TIP
Always Always Always use full urls. http://kayelleallen.com vs www.kayelleallen.com or kayelleallen.com - Why? Because readers can click on the full url and go immediately to the site. With the others they have to copy and paste. If you are trying to drive traffic to your site, make it easy for the reader to get there. One click - and boom! You've got visitors.

Anyone have other things they'd like to add?

Karenne
June 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I know it sounds odd, but you would be surprised how much you will catch it you read it out loud.

As for spell checking....hmmm, that is self explanatory!

Also make sure that you have the right day. Some places only let you post your promotional stuff on certain days!:cowboy:

kayelle_allen
June 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Very good point Karenne.

kuroisama
June 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM
AVOID
The wrong genre or heat rating for the group (a PG13 site shouldn't get X-rated excerpts)
Unless you are a political or religious writer, politics and religion are no-no's.
Highly personal information (intimate info)
Take care not to reveal personal addresses, phone numbers (share these offline only if you trust someone)

Anyone have other things they'd like to add?

If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Wise words from moms around the world and sooooo very true once publicizing yourself.

I realized, just a few days ago, that I'm no longer allowed to have an "open" opinion on certain things for fear of insulting people and/or losing readers. A casual comment could potentially turn into a huge deal in seconds.

It's a lot easier to keep track of that sort of thing on the internet but gets harder when face-to-face (like at conventions). I'm going to have really watch myself when I get in public because I have a cynical/morbid sense of humor that might irritate someone. I almost got myself in trouble during jury duty selection: the defense attorney asked if I would feel comfortable as the accused if twelve of me were on the jury. :lol: The first thing that came to mind--and made me grin--was twelve of me showing up at home and my husband running screaming into the night. Suffice to say, I had to suppress the urge to share that mental image and the little chuckle that accompanied it.

Tara S Nichols
June 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM
pretty pictures.
They are eye catching and most often free.

kayelle_allen
June 12th, 2007, 07:34 PM
pretty pictures.
They are eye catching and most often free.

Oh wow! You hit on a good point here. Remember those on digest can't see anything attached. If there's a place on the group to post them that's ok with the mods, you might put them there and then remove them after a few days.

That would give you a good excuse to come back and say you were going to clean out the pics you posted, if anyone wants a chance to see them they'll be up till tomorrow... and that may open the door for some more interaction.

Great idea and thanks for sharing it!

kayelle_allen
June 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all. Wise words from moms around the world and sooooo very true once publicizing yourself.

The first thing that came to mind--and made me grin--was twelve of me showing up at home and my husband running screaming into the night. Suffice to say, I had to suppress the urge to share that mental image and the little chuckle that accompanied it.

Priceless! I think my dh would feel the same way about 12 of me. '^_^

You're very right about opinions. And never trash a reviewer either. That never turns out well. *_*

Karenne
June 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM
OH Renee! I am so sorry! I have the same problem. Sometimes I think things are funny or I type them up and someone takes it wrong.

It is hard to judge peoples personalities and voice inflection in an email or an eloop or a posting board.

My heart goes out to you Renee!

kuroisama
June 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM
You're very right about opinions. And never trash a reviewer either. That never turns out well. *_*

One of the talented people on the Samhain chat said to thank every reviewer for every review--good, bad, or indifferent. They didn't have to read that story, but they did and the least we (as the writers) can do is thank them for their time.

besides, wouldn't that be mega brownie points? Not to mention, said reviewer might give you a second chance on a later release.

Oh! Another motherly pearl of wisdom from a non-mom (Carlos Mencia). "If you can't say it to their face, then don't say it at all." (he's talking about race related jokes, but it applies to everyday stuff too.) that is way harder than it sounds but would probably save your reputation at a convention. I've heard horror stories of people being overheard by the subject of a rant--or others hearing it and reporting back.

Jude Mason
June 19th, 2007, 07:05 PM
My two cents in here now. About chats, make sure you post the time zones. I don't know how many chats I've been either late for or totally missed because authors and site owners assume we're all in the same area of the world. I'm westcoast Canada, but it seems a great majority of 'things' go by east coast time. Well for crying out loud, tell me!

Oh, add don't tell blond jokes to the 'if you can't say it to their faces' And don't ask me how I know this. Sigh!

Have a word doc with all your url's open. Website, blog, myspace, whatever groups you may belong to and want to advertise.

Renee, I laughed out loud hun. I'm a twin, and when I tell people that online, there's always dead silence for the longest time. I think they're scared to ask and I'm horrible. I let them dangle. My twin is a man, and he's not a writer. He's actually very dyslexic and has always had trouble reading, but he's also got a very wicked sense of humor. The world just isn't ready for more than the two of us. LOL

Hugs
Jude

kayelle_allen
June 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Have a word doc with all your url's open. Website, blog, myspace, whatever groups you may belong to and want to advertise.

Excellent advice!! I have a signature file I keep open whenever I'm online. It has all my favorite links that I need to either give out or bounce to.

And the nice thing is that it opens in a new window so I can stay right where I am and also go where I need to go.

:huh: Uh... I think that made sense...

Jude Mason
June 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Tying Kayelle to her chair. (just in case)

Yup, made perfect sense.

kayelle_allen
June 20th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Tying Kayelle to her chair. (just in case)

Yup, made perfect sense.

LOL! Thank you. I needed that...

Sascha_Illyvich
June 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Better than me telling readers once that I planned to write a novel, Richard Pryor style...my BLACK friends (and black significant other) got it. White folks and my publisher didn't lol!