PDA

View Full Version : The "Word" of the day is ... Word

kayelle_allen
June 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM
The purpose of this month-long seminar is to cover material for author days and chats. But, I also have material to cover some advanced techniques for MS Word that will help you in any type of marketing.

If you use Word are interested in getting some shortcuts, customized menus, etc., please post here and let me know. I will post Word info on this thread and do regular lessons on other ones.

:baffled: If you are having trouble getting Word to cooperate with you in an area, or want it to *stop* doing something post your questions here.

Karenne
June 12th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Oh that would be great! I want those!

PS..thanks for teaching the class. I have learned some great things.:smartass:

kayelle_allen
June 13th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Oh, good! :biggrin:

I will be using some material about organizing a WIP folder too, since we have several days left and there is time to cover more. This is material from a workshop I did that taught writers how to create a customized Word menu. I use mine all the time.

I have a menu called Marketing that contains all the documents I need to promo, send out review requests, blurbs, tags, and my signature file. Very handy.

JerryR
June 13th, 2007, 04:45 AM
hi Kayelle,

I've learned how to do those folders too. They save a lot of space in my documents area.

JerryR

kayelle_allen
June 13th, 2007, 10:03 PM
hi Kayelle,

I've learned how to do those folders too. They save a lot of space in my documents area.

JerryR

Jerry Race!! :rockon:

Glad to see you. Welcome to CTR Forums...

kayelle_allen
June 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'd hate to give up any of the goodies that come with Word, but if I could only keep one, it would be the Find/Replace command. You'll be amazed when you discover all the things it can do.

Here are a few of its neat tricks:

change all italics/bold/plain/underlined text to colored text so it stands out
eliminate manual page breaks
fix text downloaded from the web so it flows smoothly
change all instances of a specific word or phrase at once
replace special characters and tabs
change multiple tabs to a single tab
change tenses of a root verb (change sit to stand, and also sat with stood - at the same time)
find all the "ly" endings in a document

These are only a few of the things it does. Once you learn to work with it, this command is a great timesaver.

I've numbered the list so we can go through each item one at a time.

kayelle_allen
June 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM
PC users: ctrl=control
Mac users: ctrl=command

1. change all italics/bold/plain/underlined text to colored text so it stands out

We'll change this sentence:

CTR is a great place for reviews, fun, forums, and meeting people!

In MS Word, on the Edit menu, click Replace (shortcut ctrl H - think cHange)
In the Replace what box, enter the text you want to change: CTR
Near the bottom of the dialog box, click "More"

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/kayelle_allen/Word/FR-More.jpg

Click the Format box.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/kayelle_allen/Word/FR-CTR.jpg

Choose the Font option from the drop down Format box...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/kayelle_allen/Word/FR-Format-Font.jpg

Then choose Italics.

In the Replace with box, enter the text you want to it to change to: Coffee Time Romance

Choose Bold (or other combination, or the choice "not bold" "not italic" etc, to remove the style, add the color you want, and click OK.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/kayelle_allen/Word/Finditalics.jpg

Now, click the Match Case Button. Otherwise all your text will match the case of the letters in the Find what box. Click Find next - then Replace. Here is the finished product.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/kayelle_allen/Word/FRDone.jpg

Could you do that easier by just highlighting CTR and changing it yourself? Sure thing. But what if you had to change a document full of them? Ever had to change the spelling of a character's name once you're halfway through a book? How about a string of labels... This command gives you a way to ensure you make all the changes to all the places the text is found, either one step at a time, or by clicking "Replace All".

:oops:
Warning: use care with Replace All. I once changed all occurrences of ing to ed trying to change words like working to worked, etc. Imagine my surprise when I came across this: "Put the thed down," she said. *What the..." I had changed "thing" to "thed".

Have fun with your new toy! Tomorrow, we'll tackle another goodie.

kuroisama
June 14th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Could you do that easier by just highlighting CTR and changing it yourself? Sure thing. But what if you had to change a document full of them? Ever had to change the spelling of a character's name once you're halfway through a book? How about a string of labels... This command gives you a way to ensure you make all the changes to all the places the text is found, either one step at a time, or by clicking "Replace All".

:oops:
Warning: use care with Replace All. I once changed all occurrences of ing to ed trying to change words like working to worked, etc. Imagine my surprise when I came across this: "Put the thed down," she said. *What the..." I had changed "thing" to "thed".

Going thru edits has taught me so many new tricks with Word (like track changes). I use the font color trick quite often. It's the only way to ensure I don't miss any instances of a particular word.

and I too have made the "replace all..." mistake. I decided to be cute and change all the instances of "his" to "her" in a highlighted portion of text (character went thru a sex change...teehee) and suddenly I had "ther" (this) and "hertory" (history) and "hersed" (hissed)--and some others--all over that section. I was happy I didn't do the whole document and that the "undo" command exists.

Question: has anyone had Word tell you its not going to do automatic spelling and grammar correction because your document is too big?

kayelle_allen
June 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I had a major chat tonight with Denise Rossetti on my group! That was a blast and I totally enjoyed it.

Will be back with a new lesson and a word tip in the morning. See you all then!

kuroisama
June 16th, 2007, 01:41 AM
OMG!! I found a new trick in the "find and replace" function in Word and had to share.

(I'm sharing it quietly though since I'm supposed to be doing my FLE edits. Teehee)

I have discovered the oh-so wonderful "wildcards" feature under the "more" option. I'm tracking down "to + verb" instances, since i have a slight problem with them. I didn't think it would work but it does. For the curious, you enter "to [verb]" (no quotes). It'll take you to every instance where "to" appears before a verb.

isn't that a lovely feature? I'm in heaven. This little function means I'll get to bed before 5am.

Thought I'd share. Now back to the grind.

kayelle_allen
June 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM
OMG!! I found a new trick in the "find and replace" function in Word and had to share.

(I'm sharing it quietly though since I'm supposed to be doing my FLE edits. Teehee)

I have discovered the oh-so wonderful "wildcards" feature under the "more" option. I'm tracking down "to + verb" instances, since i have a slight problem with them. I didn't think it would work but it does. For the curious, you enter "to [verb]" (no quotes). It'll take you to every instance where "to" appears before a verb.

isn't that a lovely feature? I'm in heaven. This little function means I'll get to bed before 5am.

Thought I'd share. Now back to the grind.

Thank you for sharing this! Isn't it a great tool?

For those who wonder why the excitement over this little feature (it's one of my favorites, too) -- any time you see the word "to" used with a verb, it means the sentence is passive in construction. Changing the form of the verb allows you to make it active.

So if you have problems with active vs passive, use this feature. :rockon:

Here's a sample sentence you might change.

PASSIVE: "I don't like to be kept waiting."
ACTIVE: "Don't keep me waiting. I don't like it."

This little tool can help you weed out your weakest writing and change it to some of your strongest.

Jude Mason
June 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Oh cool. I've used this function for ages, but keep finding more it can do. This is a new one for me. *Huge grin* Thank you kuroisama!

Gotta go find a passive to verb somewhere... hehehe!

Hugs
Jude

HH Self
June 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
When a new secondary character pops up and I don’t have a name for them I use JJJ. Later—once the character quits being shy and tells me their name—I use this feature to go back and make a quick change.
Thank you for starting this thread Kayelle.
www.hhself.net (http://www.hhself.net)

kayelle_allen
June 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
From the first list: 2. eliminate manual page breaks

This is a really easy one. Open the Replace program in Word by going to the Edit menu, or use the shortcut (Ctrl H).

Click "More" to reveal the advanced features.

In Find what: click inside this box, then click the "Special" button to open the list of options.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/kayelle_allen/Word/FR-ManualLineBreak.jpg

Then comes the easy part. =^_^= In the Replace with box, don't put anything! Just leave it blank.

You can either click Find next and then Replace each one individually, or Replace All to remove them all.

Remember this little trick when you want to delete something and not replace it. Leaving the second box blank works perfectly.

kayelle_allen
June 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
From the first list: 3. fix text downloaded from the web so it flows smoothly

Ever downloaded text from an email or forum and get this: (taken from a critique of my new wip)

>
> When Saint-Cyr stopped to sign a few handhelds, Jawk shifted
> his
> bookbag to another shoulder and took in the surroundings.

What's with the > stuff? and why does it arbitrarily cut off and leave that one word on a line of its own? Email is set up to be X number of characters wide by default. When a line goes over that, the program adds a > symbol to stand for the paragraph mark and then when the line's true ending comes around, it does it again. No mystery there. But it's very annoying to read.

Word's Replace command to the rescue! If you know how to make macros, you may want to build one for this so you can do it all in one click. If you want to know how to build a macro, let me know and I'll post a quick explanation for you.

To whip your download into quick shape, do this.

Open Replace, click More, and type in ">^p" (omit the ") and replace it with nothing (leave the next box blank) NOTE: ^p = paragraph mark, which you can also select from the drop down menu under Special.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/kayelle_allen/Word/FR-ParagraphMark.jpg

Next, we'll get rid of the extra paragraph marks and those annoying > symbols. In Replace, type "^p>" and replace it with nothing too. (see, nothing to it. lol)

That will put your text into a much more readable condition. However, if you like it super neat and clean, and want double spaces between paragraphs and all that jazz, take it one more step and replace "^p " (paragraph space) with "^p". Then, "^p" with "^p^p".

What if that doesn't work? Then you may be dealing with what are called "soft line breaks", or manual returns. That symbol looks like this: ^l

How can you tell what's what? Look on your toolbar for the symbol for paragraph, which resembles a backwards P with two legs. When you click that, all the symbols will show up. Click it again to make them go away.

If you see ^l then you can use the same little series to replace them by substituting ^l for ^p.

Here it is in a nutshell.

Replace:
>^p with ^p
^p> with nothing
^p (space) with ^p
^p with ^p^p

NOTE: line 1 and 2 are very similar, but the order is different. Turning on your symbols will make all this make much more sense. ^_^

deniserossetti
June 17th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I had a major chat tonight with Denise Rossetti on my group! That was a blast and I totally enjoyed it.

Hey thanks, Kayelle. It sure was a blast, and a hoot, and a lotta fun - and totally exhausting. I was wiped out by the end.

BUT - and here comes the testimonial! I had all my stuff organized in these neat little folders on the desktop, because I'd just done this class. Guess what? It helped enormously, so I only became a trifle confused instead of terminally confused. Yay! :biggrin:

Thanks Kayelle!

Denise

kayelle_allen
June 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Hey thanks, Kayelle. It sure was a blast, and a hoot, and a lotta fun - and totally exhausting. I was wiped out by the end.

BUT - and here comes the testimonial! I had all my stuff organized in these neat little folders on the desktop, because I'd just done this class. Guess what? It helped enormously, so I only became a trifle confused instead of terminally confused. Yay! :biggrin:

Thanks Kayelle!

Denise

See? That's what it's all about. I was on the manloveromance anniversary chat a few days later, and it was like being in a blender. Even though it was a group chat and not live, it was insane. I couldn't keep up no matter what. But it was ok. **Nobody** was keeping up!

I managed to get in a few excerpts and post a contest. People responded. I think there were about 1800 messages in one day, so it was wild.

Our chat had 252 (I counted) messages in a 3 hour period, so that was pretty insane too. =^_^=

You did really well! I thought it was one of the best run chats we've had so far. BTW, that kisser quiz was a hoot!

deniserossetti
June 18th, 2007, 03:30 AM
You did really well! I thought it was one of the best run chats we've had so far. BTW, that kisser quiz was a hoot!

Glad you see it that way! As for the kissing quiz. I threw that in early-ish so I could have a little breathing space after the first flurry of welcomes and how are yous. It worked a treat keeping people busy and entertained, because then I was able to get going with excerpts and contests. So there you go, another little trick worth remembering! :p

Denise

Jude Mason
June 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Pout, and I couldn't be there. Pout! If you have more, I will be though. No more birthdays coming up for a long time. LOL

Jude

kayelle_allen
June 19th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Pout, and I couldn't be there. Pout! If you have more, I will be though. No more birthdays coming up for a long time. LOL

Jude

Drop in any weekend all summer long! :angel:

I have guest authors on my group every Saturday thru August, and my Friday nights are starting to fill up too. Any author who wants a Friday night on Romance Lives Forever, email me at sempervians@yahoo.com and tell me which dates are best for you.

I will send you a "what to expect" sheet and enter you in the calendar. In return, I'll need a bio under 2000 characters to post on the group.

deniserossetti
June 24th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Jude

Aw, Jude. Dang, we missed you! :arghhhh: Never mind, next time... And the posts are still there, all nicely archived. :)

Denise

Sascha_Illyvich
June 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM
If i'm using the search function, that's great. But how do I clear out the search function sothat when I use the shortcut to move down pages at at time, it does that, instead of finding the next instnace of said word searched?

Make sense?

kayelle_allen
June 27th, 2007, 09:11 PM
If i'm using the search function, that's great. But how do I clear out the search function sothat when I use the shortcut to move down pages at at time, it does that, instead of finding the next instnace of said word searched?

Make sense?

You are referring to the little down arrows on the right of the page, correct?

There is an up arrow, a circle, and a down arrow. Click the circle, and you will see a menu pop up.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/kayelle_allen/Word/FR-Othersearches.jpg

From left to right, top:
Browse by: field, endnote, footnote, comment, section, page

From left to right, bottom:
Go to, Find, Browse by: edits, heading, graphic, table

To cancel the find command and return to page down usage, click the page button (top right).

To search only graphics, or footnotes, etc., choose one of the other commands. There are bazillion ways to do things in Word. These are more options for you to play with.

Was this what you had in mind?

Sascha_Illyvich
July 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Basically but I'm a keyboard user. Might want to make that clear for everyone because I know there are a LOT of mousers out there :)

Thanks,

S

IM Cupnjava
July 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Question: has anyone had Word tell you its not going to do automatic spelling and grammar correction because your document is too big?

*raises hand* Yes. I've started creating new documents for chapters now.